Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Charge ALX Locks Poorly

Stuey · 26 · 3618

us Offline Stuey

Charge ALX Locks Poorly
on: February 24, 2008, 05:44:20 AM
Hi all!

Okay, so I have a Charge ALX and it's been bugging me since I first purchased it. The straight edge knife doesn't lock fully. It locks somewhat securely, but the spring lock doesn't engage fully. The same thing happens with the serrated edge. The file rubs against the side handle as well a bit, but that doesn't bug me too much. On the other hand, the file and saw locks engage fully.

At this point I'd rather try to deal with this minor annoyance myself than deal with the hassle of shipping it back to LM. Is there anything that I can do about this? I also have a Wave, but all four outer blade locks engage fully and perform flawless. I wish that the higher end Charge ALX was manufactured as precisely.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Stuey

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Charge ALX Locks Poorly
Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 05:51:39 AM
I don't think there is anything you can do besides sending it in for warranty.

But you have mail! Look under the ads and click on messages! 
B

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 06:00:58 AM
Depends on what you believe about liner-locks.

It is my understanding that when a liner engages 100% of the tang there is no room for wear and over time the knife blade will loosen up, creating a potentially dangerous situation during heavy cutting.

Thus, I prefer to see my liners engage between 30-50%, allowing for wear and usually allowing the full portion of the liner to engage the tang.

Now, if you prefer that liners go 100% you can seat the locks quite easily so they always engage 100%. Hard striking on the edge of the blade usually seats the lock and stop-bar and creates a 100% lock-up. I like to strike a piece of soft wood a few times to seat my folding knives with liner locks.

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 06:03:35 AM
Welcome Stuey!

You might void the warranty of your Charge ALX if you try to make some remedial measures yourself. I suggest you avail of its warranty.

Eddie

:cheers:

us Offline Stuey

Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 07:24:17 AM
Hmm, I guess I'll consider sending the tool in for warranty, or perhaps try to break it in for a bit more.

The liner is locking fully with the blade tang, but what I meant was that it isn't "snapping" out all the way.

Attached are photos of the locks in questions, and a photo comparing the uniform file gap on the Wave vs. that of the Charge ALX where it rubs the handle.

I purchased three Charge ALXs at the same time and gave two as gifts. I checked them all just to be sure. All three tools suffered from similar locking issues, which is why I decided not to hassle with LM about it at the time.

I can live with the liner issue as long as I can be convinced that it won't pose a safety issue now or in the future.

Thanks again for your comments & suggestions.

Hmm. So it seems that one lock has too much spring, and the other too little.

* LM 001.jpg (Filesize: 83.57 KB)

* LM 002.jpg (Filesize: 106.12 KB)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 07:27:29 AM by Stuey »

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 07:31:39 AM
The liner is locking fully with the blade tang, but what I meant was that it isn't "snapping" out all the way.

That is what I was referring to. Left-Right engagement of the liner and the tang, not front to back.

To me, your liners look fine. If you're really bothered by it I would try the method I described earlier or send it back. Not much else to do other than use it a lot and have it wear in a little.

Bending the locking liner with a pliers to increase "spring" is another option I've seen recommended but not one I ever found to work well.

This thread may help you some.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 07:34:48 AM by Spoonrobot »

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 07:35:36 AM
Looks fine to me.

Better that they stop there than go too far eh?

As for File Rub, eh. It happens.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 10:30:36 AM
My original Wave has exactly the same issue.  I tried to bend the liner out a little which didn't really work, so I now open the blade more forcefully so the liner lock engages further.
I'm back!!

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 10:38:13 AM
That looks like a proper engagement of liner lock. My wave file rubs the ouside handle a bit too.

One test you can do is to open the knife, hold it edge down, one hand on spine of blade and another on spine of handle and try to fold the knife. If theres anything wrong with the lock you'll overcome it.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 10:41:34 AM by jzmtl »

us Offline getpower

• More money, younger women, and older whiskey
Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 06:17:40 AM
I'd send it in for warranty. I just received a Charge ALX a little more than a week ago and I dont have any of the problems that you said you are having.

The only thing that I do notice on mine is that when you press the lock releases in, it has a little clicking sound that I think is caused by the casting marks on them.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 11:12:55 AM
IMO there is nothing wrong with your liner locks.  They look fully engaged and I doubt that Leatherman would see any need to change or replace anything.  I can't personally comment on the file rub though, but I know that this is a very common thing with the Charge models.

Personally, I would not send it in for warranty. :)
I'm back!!

us Offline Stuey

Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 01:56:00 PM
Alright, sounds good. I feel better now knowing that my "problems" are relatively normal! Thanks for helping me dismiss my hesitation.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 01:58:08 PM
Alright, sounds good. I feel better now knowing that my "problems" are relatively normal! Thanks for helping me dismiss my hesitation.

I'm planning on taking a few pics later, so I'll stick some up of my Wave just so you can see. :)

Apart from these niggles, how are you finding the ALX?
I'm back!!

us Offline Stuey

Reply #13 on: February 25, 2008, 05:04:59 PM
I'm planning on taking a few pics later, so I'll stick some up of my Wave just so you can see. :)

Apart from these niggles, how are you finding the ALX?
To be honest, I'm more inclined to reach for my Wave than the ALX since I'm not particularly fond of the black alum scales' feel. I'm reallying liking the cutting hook on the serrated knife, although not sure how I'm going to sharpen it.

It's certainly not a bad tool, but I expected more for its extra cost. I haven't really taken advantage of the second bit driver yet, and as far as I can tell, it's only there as bit-storage. I think that the TTI would have been a better choice.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #14 on: February 25, 2008, 09:03:46 PM
I'm reallying liking the cutting hook on the serrated knife, although not sure how I'm going to sharpen it.

Any rod shaped diamond/ceramic file would do nicely.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: February 26, 2008, 12:33:33 AM
Ok, here are the locks on my Wave.  I have left the pic really big so you can see it a liitle clearer, although I haven't got the light quite right.

I'm back!!

Offline bobofish

Reply #16 on: February 26, 2008, 11:28:21 AM
I just posted in another thread, the best way I've found to sharpen the gut hook is an EZE-Lap tapered diamond coated pen sharpener. It's a little rod that can close into its own included pen-cap. Made in the US for $5.

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: February 27, 2008, 04:59:46 AM
Yep, thats the same problem my ALX has. The blades collapse on it scary easy as a result. The serrated blade actually tried collapsing on my hand while using the cutting hook.

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: February 27, 2008, 10:25:53 AM
I just checked the locks of my Wave and Charge TTi to make sure I don't have defective locks. I was satisfied with all the locks.
Here are the pix.

Offline umc

Reply #19 on: February 27, 2008, 04:58:20 PM
edap617,

The locks look similar on my Charge TTI, especially for the plain edge blade, the liner lock goes all the way to the frame/handle, which leaves no room for wear but it locks up solid so I don't think I'll worry about it unless it starts to get a little sloppy in time.  Is that kind of your thought as well?

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #20 on: February 27, 2008, 08:24:56 PM
All of my oho LM MT's all have perfect liner locks. But, my Cabelas Charge TTi has terrible locks-I have heard of someone else having this problem also. But I quick ship to warranty and it is perfect now!
B

Offline trickknife

• Deputy Dog
Reply #21 on: February 27, 2008, 09:08:21 PM
Here's trick I tried on my wave just now.  If you file (diamond file) off a very tiny amount off of the back of the knife where it bumps into the handle (opposite side of the pivot from your pictures) it lets the knife travel a little farther.  My locking liner moved in just a tad bit more into the beveled area on the lock.  It's worked great for me.  But whatever you do, don't file off too much, then the lock will be sloppy loose.
-

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: February 27, 2008, 11:48:18 PM
edap617,

The locks look similar on my Charge TTI, especially for the plain edge blade, the liner lock goes all the way to the frame/handle, which leaves no room for wear but it locks up solid so I don't think I'll worry about it unless it starts to get a little sloppy in time.  Is that kind of your thought as well?

I won't worry about that. How can there be wearing if the tip of the lock and the back end tip of the knife will come to a point that they barely touch each other. Since there will be no more rubbing action, further wearing will cease.

Eddie

Offline umc

Reply #23 on: February 28, 2008, 02:17:49 AM
edap617,

I won't worry about that. How can there be wearing if the tip of the lock and the back end tip of the knife will come to a point that they barely touch each other. Since there will be no more rubbing action, further wearing will cease.

Eddie

+1, I agree with that.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: March 15, 2008, 05:15:43 PM
Just to update this, I have noticed that after opening the blades on my Wave many times, that my locks now engage further.  Stuey, have you found this as well?
I'm back!!

us Offline Stuey

Reply #25 on: March 18, 2008, 12:46:27 AM
I've actually shelved my Charge and use my Wave much more often. The lock has improved slightly since I purchased the tool about a year ago, but it's still not as secure (at least visually) as the Wave. I'm fairly certain it won't buckle under use, and my concerns have eased. I still wonder why so many others have reported similar problems. Perhaps that is why the Skeletool has been delayed, because LM decided not to release tools with less than 100% perfection ever again.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $81.95
PayPal Fees: $4.26
Net Balance: $77.69
Below Goal: $222.31
Site Currency: USD
26%