Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Help, laptop V netbook ?

Zed · 70 · 13466

us Offline GNandGS

Re: Help, laptop V netbook ?
Reply #60 on: September 26, 2012, 06:00:14 PM
If you continue having issues it may be hardware.  One way of doing testing is get it to "new in box" status and keep it there.  Run it and try to log any system hangs.  Document document document.  Does asus support have any online contact?  Chat?

If NIB config does not fail, then I might lean toward an application you installed that causes a problem but it still could be hardware.  Is there a diag partition/bios available?

Asus WILL want to know if service is not up to standard (whatever standard they set for your location).  Notebookreview.com is a great resource if you haven't found it already.  Some guides based on brand for diagnostic and warranty process.  Have you even tried support direct?

us Offline GNandGS

Reply #61 on: September 26, 2012, 06:07:02 PM
ah crap.  This was a thread hijack.  Sorry OP!

bg Offline N_N_R

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #62 on: September 26, 2012, 06:37:12 PM
If you continue having issues it may be hardware.  One way of doing testing is get it to "new in box" status and keep it there.  Run it and try to log any system hangs.  Document document document.  Does asus support have any online contact?  Chat?

If NIB config does not fail, then I might lean toward an application you installed that causes a problem but it still could be hardware.  Is there a diag partition/bios available?

Asus WILL want to know if service is not up to standard (whatever standard they set for your location).  Notebookreview.com is a great resource if you haven't found it already.  Some guides based on brand for diagnostic and warranty process.  Have you even tried support direct?

Yeah, thanks. I did the "new in box" status thing.. I uninstalled all additional software which I'd installed before, but then it froze up again several times. I noticed that it does the freezing mostly when I open an internet page with looots of infomation which needs loooots of scrolling in order to be read.. No idea if this gives you a clue, but, anyway, it freezes up randomly most of the time.

If there is a problem the netbook again when I get it back on Monday, I'll certainly contact ASUS directly. I went to great lenghts getting my keychain Squirt replaced due to broken scissors and a netbook certainly deserves more attention, lol.

us Offline GNandGS

Reply #63 on: September 27, 2012, 03:02:56 AM
Yeah, I read that saga before coming here!

Testing ideas:
disable addons etc in browser
diff browser
turn off hardware acceleration in browser
script/advert blocking addon

Certain scripts can cause issues sometimes and especially embedded video.

Offline landwomble

Reply #64 on: September 27, 2012, 07:38:47 PM
If you must, you might also want to try a boot optimized defrag and pre fetch fix.
Run A CMD prompt as administrator, and type "defrag c: -b"
Wait.
When complete go into windows/pre fetch and delete all .pf files. JUST THE PF FILES!
Reboot.

It's still gonna be slow but it might help a little.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #65 on: October 02, 2012, 04:54:19 PM
Ookay, a happy update: I have my netbook back with reinstalled Windows and everything for free...

Then I went to the first place I'd gone to and paid for nothing...Beforehands I'd written them a "nice" e-mail, a little rude, I must say, thinking I'd never go back to them again... Tey'd replied that they'd have liked to return me the money if I brought their receipt as well as a document from ASUS service which stated that the problem was with the hardware and covered by the warrenty. The girl behind the counter didn't tell me a word today and directly handed me the money when she saw me.... It's either been quite a memorable e-mail or in certain situations you just HAVE to be rude.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #66 on: October 02, 2012, 06:06:33 PM
in certain situations you just HAVE to be rude.

You are $%**£$%^ right NNR!!

:D :D
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #67 on: October 02, 2012, 06:37:32 PM
in certain situations you just HAVE to be rude.

You are $%**£$%^ right NNR!!

I %(^*&  KNOW I'm  $^)&)**** right!!!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #68 on: October 02, 2012, 08:16:36 PM
Good news indeed!

I always thought that computer companies really didn't have to look after customers- after all, if your computer is dead how are you going to go online to email them about the problem or log into a forum or social media service and complain about them?  :D

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #69 on: October 02, 2012, 10:01:00 PM
Well, mine was like a cat with nine lives: died, resurrected, died, resurrected, died... until I got pissed off :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%