Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wenger Ranger Issue ...

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Wenger Ranger Issue ...
on: August 23, 2012, 09:41:42 AM
I landed a Rangergrip 90 the other day with assistance from Farmman and Felinevet  :salute: I noticed last night that after light use (testing only really), that the pliers have become rather stiff to deploy and there seems to be more daylight through the backsprings than I would expect to see  :think: I've oiled it up and left it to stew and will have another look at it this evening, but I was wondering if anyone else has had anything similar.

It may be a pin or peening issue and I will have another look at it later tonight, but thought it would be wise to ask my buddies here first how much daylight they have in their rangers with pliers. Any and all feedback would be helpful  :tu:

:cheers:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Farmman

Wenger Ranger Issue ...
Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 11:37:22 AM
Thought you where going to say it had given you a bad back from carrying it.

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Wenger Ranger Issue ...
Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 11:45:51 AM
 :D No my back was bad before  :P I'm even considering trying pocket carrying this bad boy, though probably on a paracord belt hanger to keep the weight off the bottom. I reckon that vertical carry in the pocket might get me noticed a little more by members of the fairer sex if nothing else  :rofl:

I was hoping to get out and about with this over the next few days and get a review done  :-\ I've sent a message through to Wenger HQ this morning too, to ask them for advice before unnecessarily sending this over to them. If it doesn't look too bad tonight, I might go out and about with it anyway, but if there's a chance of a problem with the pins I might give it a miss till Wenger get back to me. I even have a task and place in mind to try it out if it looks OK  :D
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 11:48:16 AM by 50ft-trad »

gb Offline Farmman

Wenger Ranger Issue ...
Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 12:30:04 PM
:D No my back was bad before  :P I'm even considering trying pocket carrying this bad boy, though probably on a paracord belt hanger to keep the weight off the bottom. I reckon that vertical carry in the pocket might get me noticed a little more by members of the fairer sex if nothing else  :rofl:

rofl

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 01:45:46 PM
I've not had this problem and I keep a Ranger with pliers in the Jeep for backup and dirty problems. I haven't encountered any issues with it in the last 2-3 years its been there.

I'd definitely say if you aren't happy Wenger will look after you. Their warranty service is second to none.

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 07:53:33 PM
I'm sure  :tu: I've only needed their services once before, and that was my fault not theirs. They sorted it immediately though  :salute:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 10:24:07 AM
Forgot to update this before  :oops: ....

I gave it a thorough oiling, and made sure it got worked right into the tool, and the plier issue does seem to have resolved itself. The backsprings still have a bit more light coming through than I would expect from the Swiss, but nothing that will affect the working of the tool ... hopefully.

I still haven't had chance to get out and about with it yet though - I see it very much as an "outdoors" tool, rather than a handyman tool, so it hasn't seen active duty yet other than a few token gesture tasks just to get a feel for it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD