Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

VICTORINOX USB SECURE FLASH OWNERS - IMPORTANT MESSAGE

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Please see attached message from Victorinox.  If you are using the Victorinox Secure products you will lose your data if it is not transferred.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 10:52:37 PM by ICanFixThat »

Offline Blitzwing

Re: VICTORINOX USB SECURE FLASH OWNERS - IMPORTANT MESSAGE
Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 11:00:42 PM
They put out the new ones yet?

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 11:42:31 PM
I don't get it, why would they make the software expire? There are going to be a lot of pissed off owners...

us Offline Ashley

• AKA Knife Crazied
VICTORINOX USB SECURE FLASH OWNERS - IMPORTANT MESSAGE
Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 01:24:53 AM
I own one with a bunch of pics! :ahhh

Sent from Ash forum mobile

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 02:06:18 AM
Well that sucks.............  and my computer just broke so im smurfed.  >:(
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 02:07:11 AM
Thanks for the heads up.    :tu:
I'm the milk man!

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 02:24:36 AM
Mind you it's only the encrypted files that's affected, others are fine and you can continue use it as usb storage after.

It's how I understood it anyway.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 02:39:19 AM
The only thing I am concerned about is losing storage space.

When you install the software and make a encrypted folder you choose how much of the total drive to use for protected folders which makes it unusable for normal storage. I really cant go into it as typing on my phone is a pain in the ass. Do you understand what I mean though?
I'm the milk man!

au Offline T.J. Hooker

Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 03:57:12 AM
The only thing I am concerned about is losing storage space.

When you install the software and make a encrypted folder you choose how much of the total drive to use for protected folders which makes it unusable for normal storage. I really cant go into it as typing on my phone is a pain in the ass. Do you understand what I mean though?

You should be able to partition the USB so you have the hole USB free, not one unencrypted partition, one encrypted partition. Windows has something built(Disk Management) in or you can use Ubuntu Live CD.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 04:02:20 AM by T.J. Hooker »

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 05:29:27 AM
All is well I got my computer to last long enough to take care of everything.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 06:08:45 AM
This is boggling my mind. I really hope they are as surprised as we are, and are about let attack lawyers off the leash.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

Offline Blitzwing

Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 07:10:31 AM
They're offering refunds... Plus they just announced a 1tb version coming out soon... smurf happens

se Offline Northern Geek

Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 08:58:25 AM
I wonder what happened.. I'm guessing they made some mistake with an expiring certificate or something like that.

Hope it won't hurt their reputation too much.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 10:39:08 AM
Its not the end of the world, but I do want to find out exactly why they are pulling the software?
I'm the milk man!

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, 02:24:14 PM
Ya this is really bad; This is really serious stuff.  I sure I'm not the only one where "refund" does not repair the damage... current corportate crap that thinks a refund should make everyone happy is such BS.  Of course a refund should be offered, but it does not make everyone happy.

I don't know the details yet, they better get more details out there FAST 100% full disclosure on this issue.   They can use the PS/3 issue (or was it X-BOX) from a while back that shut everyone out.  This is not as wide spread, but they should follow the same protocol for disclosure.

I just hope no one losses their data, some may have these in safe-deposit boxes, and may have used a couple for backup, but in this case even a backup might not be good.  Most people that really need the data would likely have a unencrypted version of their data, but the average person does not take all the necessary precautions. And really these are just for the average joe. 

Very sad to have this happen, all they can do is show that they know how to manage these types of issues.  I hope they come through.

ps... in case it sounds like I'm too harsh... Victorinox is still one of my favorite companies... just want them to do the right thing so that others will feel the same.

za Offline ?eter

Reply #15 on: August 29, 2012, 08:09:57 AM
This is the sort of thing that makes me wary of electronics in a SAK.

Victorinox are able to repair a 1920s soldier but these have been on the market for a couple of years and they are no longer usable? I really love the look of this product but I think that they are stretching too far outside their field of expertise. I'm assuming that the design, manufacture and software production for the flash drives are not done in-house by Victorinox, it looks like they were let down by their design partners

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: August 29, 2012, 08:34:51 AM
Not let down by the partners. Victorinox chose to let there agreement expire with the software company that was running the show.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: August 29, 2012, 09:20:28 AM
This is an excerpt from an email I received from Victorinox on 8/17/2012:

Further more, we will stop providing any future software updates and as of September 2012 we will cease all services in this segment. To this end we will discontinue our services to our web page http://secure.victorinox.com. Warning! The VeriSign software certificate for the secure.exe is only valid till 15th September 2012. We therefore strongly recommend that you create a data backup immediately.

From reading this (which I didn't really do at the time but did after I saw this thread) I strongly doubt that access to the encrypted data via the secure.exe application will suddenly cease to function after 9/15/2012. You may get a warning when you try to run it that the authenticity of the software cannot be verified but you should still be able to run it. You may not even get that message if they timestamped the software. To be honest I haven't really looked into this situation very carefully and do intend to check my device before 9/15/2012, to see if there is anything on it that I don't have elsewhere, but I think the situation is similar to Microsoft saying that they no longer support Windows 98 after a certain date, which doesn't mean that your computer ceases to function after that date. I could seriously be wrong here but that is what I surmise at the moment.

Honestly the software was kind of cool, I liked the fingerprint access, but it's pretty easy to encrypt any USB device without a lot of trouble and for little or no cost.

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: August 29, 2012, 10:02:17 AM
yes, this was to bad, but listen to iCanFixThat(Victorinox message) and hurry up owners saving your data !
Get more tools

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD