Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Esbit 585 cookset?

Gareth · 52 · 8772

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Esbit 585 cookset?
Reply #30 on: January 08, 2013, 09:09:23 AM
Glad to hear you've got it running properly  :tu:

One thing to note though; watch out for the sticky black residue left on the bottom of the pan from the bruning fuel tablet. :-\

An old ex-army guy once told me he rubbed soap on the bottom of the pot before cooking, and often just rubbing the pot in dirt/grass after would fetch the vast majority off .... I never tried it though

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #31 on: January 08, 2013, 10:02:05 AM
The gunk does come off the pot very easily, but I'd not fancy trying to get it off clothes.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline colt 1911

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #32 on: January 20, 2013, 09:10:50 PM
I knew you could do it  :D All it takes is a bit of experience and proper management.

I've been playing with an Esbitmizer lately and have managed to cook rice (1/2 cup plus 3/4 cup water) on one and a half tablets. Besides getting it to a boil there was a simmering time of 15 minutes.

The residue cleans up fairly easily with hot water.
Nice set up !
CHEERS

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #33 on: August 30, 2016, 04:58:21 PM
So, just a couple of years after I started talking about it I finally got around to getting rid of the plastic feet. :whistle:

If there's one thing my garage isn't short of, it's chips of wood and shavings.

A little fire was easy to get going and you can see the bolts I've used to replace the plastic feet.

Easiest way I found to keep it fed was to take large curls of wood off and feed them in the opening.

Start to finish (boiling water for a cup of coffee) took around 15 minutes, but that includes a bit of faffing about getting the right sized pieces of wood to feed it.

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #34 on: August 31, 2016, 02:52:43 AM
A least this necro was a useful one  ::)

Perhaps raising the pot up a bit with a fan grill would lower the time a bit...increase the draft and allow more flame contact.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #35 on: August 31, 2016, 10:24:05 AM
A least this necro was a useful one  ::)

Perhaps raising the pot up a bit with a fan grill would lower the time a bit...increase the draft and allow more flame contact.

I'd forgotten about that suggestion you made (well, it was a few years ago) and I do definitely think it's a good one. :tu:

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #36 on: September 04, 2016, 11:59:03 PM
I dug mine out for a play...16oz of water and gel fuel...

12:51 to rolling boil in normal position...9:03 raised on a grill. I do need to make a taller windscreen for it...the one that stows inside is too low when used on a solid surface.
esbit585_gel.jpg
* esbit585_gel.jpg (Filesize: 95.66 KB)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #37 on: September 05, 2016, 12:13:35 AM
I've been trying mine with some Dragon Fire gel fuel and with some meths, both just put in a old air rifle pellet tin.  I didn't take any exact times, but the meths had 350ml of water up to a rolling boil in around 8 minutes, the Dragon Fire took nearly twice that.

I did go looking at the back of an old PC I had kicking around, but it doesn't have that style of fan grill. :-\

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #38 on: September 05, 2016, 01:01:28 AM
I'm using ethanol based chafing fuel...fairly inexpensive from the party supply store.
greenheat03.jpg
* greenheat03.jpg (Filesize: 49.43 KB)

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #39 on: September 05, 2016, 05:06:58 AM
I set up a new tin...a 1oz sliptop. The ideal behind the row of holes is to allow air to enter at the base of the flames below the rim. The thought behind this is the flames don't dance about as wildly because of air flowing over the rim. In this case it was only mildly successful as the hole size was limited by the tin. The pic shows the gel soon after lighting...the flames did get larger as it heated up.

I didn't time this run, but it got 16oz to a rolling boil on 5/8oz (by weight) of gel. I've been weighing the fuel so I can visually estimate how much to fill the tin.

esbit585_gel2.jpg
* esbit585_gel2.jpg (Filesize: 86.93 KB)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #40 on: September 05, 2016, 10:16:48 AM
Nice idea.  Another one I might steal. ;)

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: September 06, 2016, 10:27:14 AM
Tried and tested myself, coat the outside with dish washing liquid before use and the soot comes off easy as pie after use.  :tu:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #42 on: September 06, 2016, 02:17:29 PM
I set up a new tin...a 1oz sliptop. The ideal behind the row of holes is to allow air to enter at the base of the flames below the rim. The thought behind this is the flames don't dance about as wildly because of air flowing over the rim. In this case it was only mildly successful as the hole size was limited by the tin. The pic shows the gel soon after lighting...the flames did get larger as it heated up.

I didn't time this run, but it got 16oz to a rolling boil on 5/8oz (by weight) of gel. I've been weighing the fuel so I can visually estimate how much to fill the tin.

Just tried this myself and had pretty much the same result.  Works well to start with but gets bigger after a few minutes.

I have also ordered some fan grills though. :D

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #43 on: September 13, 2016, 07:48:46 PM
Interesting to see the different ways people are using these.  I also have one, and I really like how small, light and simple it is.  Good to see that wood works in it.  I might just replace the feet on mine so I can use wood as an alternative fuel.  Normally I use hexamine: it's foolproof, which is good for me :)  And cheap if you find a good army surplus shop.  I find I get a boil on 2 quarters of an army hexi block with the pot around half full, and another quarter gets a long enough boil to do some quick-cook pasta or noodles.  Cooking times using hexamine are all about surface area I think. Half an army hexi is the same weight as 1 Esbit, but split into 2 quarters and stood on edge it burns faster due to the greater surface area.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #44 on: September 13, 2016, 08:36:46 PM
I tried it burning wood in a strong breeze and I've got to say it was a pain.  Even before my wind shield blew away it was tough to keep a hot enough fire fed to get the water boiling.  I certainly wouldn't want to rely on the fire idea alone.

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #45 on: September 15, 2016, 03:20:55 AM
Interesting to see the different ways people are using these.  I also have one, and I really like how small, light and simple it is.  Good to see that wood works in it.  I might just replace the feet on mine so I can use wood as an alternative fuel.  Normally I use hexamine: it's foolproof, which is good for me :)  And cheap if you find a good army surplus shop.  I find I get a boil on 2 quarters of an army hexi block with the pot around half full, and another quarter gets a long enough boil to do some quick-cook pasta or noodles.  Cooking times using hexamine are all about surface area I think. Half an army hexi is the same weight as 1 Esbit, but split into 2 quarters and stood on edge it burns faster due to the greater surface area.

I agree with the increased surface area theory. I've split Esbit tabs in half myself...placed with a small gap between the pieces. It seems easier to light with a match laid in the gap too.

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #46 on: September 17, 2016, 10:51:25 PM
coffeesock02.jpg
* coffeesock02.jpg (Filesize: 89.86 KB)
coffeesock03.jpg
* coffeesock03.jpg (Filesize: 90.08 KB)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #47 on: September 18, 2016, 12:38:33 AM
Looks tasty. :D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #48 on: September 18, 2016, 12:43:36 AM
Just so happens that I got the grill through today.  The difference it makes in boil times is extraordinary.  It's most definitely now part of the kit.
2016-09-17 23.12.25.jpg
* 2016-09-17 23.12.25.jpg (Filesize: 142.95 KB)
2016-09-17 23.35.17.jpg
* 2016-09-17 23.35.17.jpg (Filesize: 133.02 KB)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #49 on: September 18, 2016, 12:52:53 AM
Not done any time trials yet but the holes in the side of the burner try definitely seem to bring the meths up to temperature faster.
2016-09-17 16.11.53.jpg
* 2016-09-17 16.11.53.jpg (Filesize: 128.01 KB)

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #50 on: September 18, 2016, 06:16:08 AM
Just so happens that I got the grill through today.  The difference it makes in boil times is extraordinary.  It's most definitely now part of the kit.

Makes me wonder if the people who design these things ever test them at all  :P

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #51 on: September 19, 2016, 10:16:16 AM

Makes me wonder if the people who design these things ever test them at all  :P

Sadly I don't think I've got any more Esbit tablets left to see if the grill improves their use.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%