Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Opinion on "Ti EDC Pry Tool"

Boyen · 16 · 11259

00 Offline Boyen

on: September 02, 2012, 01:16:52 PM
Hello everyone, first post

I'm relatively new to the whole "EDC" scene. I've been practicing it all my life not realizing there was an entire scene behind it with lots of wonderful treasures of multitools to explore. So I'm working on my keychain and I'm looking at a pry tool. At first I was thinking of buying an Atwood, but since I'm from the Netherlands it will take months before I receive it (customs) and then I need to pay an extra fee making it a tad too expensive. So basically I was looking for something that can be obtained closer to home.

So I looked at PocketToolX but didn't like the ergonomics, I also saw TTPocketTools but they have the problem of being US based again. I already have a Gerber Shard but I don't like its prying capabilities, additionally I already have more than enough screwdriver capabilities on the rest of my EDC. What I do miss is some wrenches (metric ones). If anyone has suggestions, more than welcome!

I came across a "Titanium EDC Pry Tool" it seems like it doesn't have a brand, I don't really mind that as what I need is functionality and not a brand... it looks like this:

With the following specs:
-Overall Size: 85mm × 26mm
-Thickness 5.6mm
-Weight: 26g
-Material: 6AL-4V Titanium
-Costs: ~$45

Does anyone have experience with the above tool or can, based on the picture/materials give any rough estimate if it will perform? It seems like the tip is thin and I really like that it is curved for more prying power.

Thanks in advance!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Opinion on "Ti EDC Pry Tool"
Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 03:56:37 PM
It looks similar to the Atwood Prybaby and Navy 2001 tool, as seen here:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,31489.0.html

Apart from that I can't say as I know anything about that particular tool, although I'm not convinced that titanium is much good for pry bars and screwdrivers.  Still, at that size I doubt you'll be using it for any heavy work so it should suffice.  I'd be interested in hearing more about it though if you had any more info to share.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

00 Offline Boyen

Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 07:56:41 PM
Hey, thanks for the reply.

The same store sells the Navy as well, but the price difference is about $30 so I really expect more.. Additionally steel vs titanium. Anyway you said Titanium isn't any good why is that? I'm quite new to this.

Am I allowed to link to the store? That's all the info I got.. Thanks!

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 08:58:00 PM
Titanium is softer than hardened steel, so it'll deform easier under heavy prying and on steel screws.

You will hear a lot of "titanium is lighter and stronger than steel" stuff, keep in mind while it is stronger per weight, but since titanium is less dense it's not as strong per volume, as is the case with tools like prybar.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 11:04:04 PM
Exactly what jzmtl said.  That will probably work fine, but look more abused faster than harder but heavier steel.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

gb Offline kitbeard

Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 09:11:36 AM
Boyen, I guess that you might have found the TI tool at The Survival Depot (www.survivaldepot.co.uk/) , a UK store speSmurfpillsing in survival and EDC equipment.  I've bought a few things from them over the last year or so and the Survival Depot is the best place to look for OPTMs in the UK, and their shipping costs to other EU countries look quite reasonable (£4.19/5.28 Euros for standard airmail).  I don't know what's available in the Nederlands but surmise that the choice might be as limited or more limited as that in the UK. 

Most of the OPMTs stocked by Survival Depot are titanium but they also offer something called 'The EDC' by Shark Tools, which is made from 440C stainless and may be worth considering as well.  It's a pocket screwdriver/scraper/pry and wrench combination tool that looks like its based on Peter Atwood's Metwrench and Pest designs; I don't think it's a direct copy/rip-off - there's more than a passing resemblance but we're not talking about something like the Navy CUI 2001 tool, which is also stocked by Survival Depot and has been the subject of controvesy as well as what I think is the funniest thread on the forum where its level of 'evil' is discussed in some depth.

I own and use the Shark EDC tool and because of its 5mm width, it's a very effective wrench and screwdriver (which isn't your requirement, I know) but I think the tip design might limit its effectiveness as a pry tool to an extent.  However, although the Shark EDC isn't as wide as the TI tool (this comes in at 5.6mm) I do think its width means it will be strong enough for more than occassional light prying tasks despite having a narrow flat screwdriver/pry head.  If having a wrench is more of a priority for you than prying capacity, I think it would be worth a look.  The Shark EDC costs £17.90/22.60(ish) Euros and here's a link:

http://www.survivaldepot.co.uk/product/the_edc_tool

Another UK/EU available opiton is the pocket wrench sold by Rutlands Tools but this company has high UK internal delivery costs and while the tool currently comes in at £14.95/18.86 euros, delivery to the Nederlands would be an extra £12.95/16.34 euros, almost doubling the cost.  The Pocket Wrench is made from what's described as a '400' stainless steel and has quite following, with a couple of Youtube reviews that might be worth searching out.

I've used mine quite heavily and it's been effective while the pry tip gets into paint tins, etc.  However, the Pocket Wrench is 4 inches/10 mm long and I think this means it's not ideal for key ring carry - but then the Shark EDC is wide enough to be hard to get on to a split ring.  BTW, this doesn't bother me because I don't carry tools other than a Pico Widgy bar on my key ring.  Here's a link for the Pocket Wrench:

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/hand-tools/screwdrivers/pocket-wrench/DK7112/pocket-wrench

I hope this is helpful.

00 Offline Boyen

Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 10:00:42 AM
:tu: awesome thanks a lot for the replies, especially yours kitbeard.

The Netherlands unfortunatly doesn't have a lot of options when it comes to EDC gear, you can get Leathermans, SAKs and Spyderco knives but not much more than that. For instance, the Gerber Shard had to be shipped from overseas =/

I will need to take a look at the Shark Tool, it does look quite handy. Choices, choices.. maybe I'll order both. Thanks a lot for the help!

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 02:18:01 AM
If you don't mind plain looking and tool steel, take a look at the link in my signature, I have a 4" prybar from him and it works very well, though not as fancy as the ones mentioned before.

00 Offline Boyen

Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 04:40:45 PM
@jztml thanks, I like the site, it has this... "home" feeling to it instead of a "shop" feeling. It is overseas for me, so that will give me import taxes as well as the shipping costs which automatically make every good deal a bad deal for me :(

I decided to give the Ti tool a try. Feature wise it has everything I want and if it breaks, it breaks and I'll never buy another Ti tool again. I'm guessing it should stay alive for some time atleast. I'll post a review when I've (ab)used it for some time so I can inform people like me that are interested in the tool. Thanks for all the help guys, great forum this is.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 05:24:02 PM
A little late to this, but nevertheless:

Ti is definitely less pry friendly than steel.  It will chip more easily.  I prefer steel for most prying and wrenching jobs.

Since Leatherman now owns PocketTool X, it may be easier for you to get.  I highly recommend them as a pry tool AND it comes with both metric and standard wrenches.

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 06:31:43 PM
What about this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0089SI412/ref=s9_simh_gw_p200_d1_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=18HDPR87XB0GJSYVHW3N&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

or:

http://www.pocketwrenchtool.com/products.html

Price of pocketwrench II plus Import taxes and shipping cost will cost you less than your current choice and it is made out of steel.
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 07:01:44 PM
PocketWrench II is a good tool too.  I prefer PocketTool X Piranha, but PWII is definitely worth the money.

gb Offline kitbeard

Reply #12 on: September 05, 2012, 07:38:05 PM
Boyen, I'd be very interested to read your review of the TI tool once you've got one and used/abused it for a bit. 

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Reply #13 on: September 08, 2012, 11:03:15 PM
I have no opinion here...  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #14 on: September 08, 2012, 11:07:14 PM
I have no opinion here...  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:
Good man.. :D :D

00 Offline Boyen

Reply #15 on: September 08, 2012, 11:56:50 PM
Boyen, I'd be very interested to read your review of the TI tool once you've got one and used/abused it for a bit.

So when I received it I was pretty much frantically walking around looking for things to pry, it must've been looking stupid  :whistle:

Anyway, I got the tool for only two days now and it got some good use yesterday where I was trying to lever a rusted frying pan that was impossible to get out. The good news was, even with my entire body weight on it, it didn't break. The bad news was that I couldn't get enough force on it due to its size and ended up using a crowbar.

I also took some nails out without problem. So.. luckily it's atleast performing better than the navy tool. But I can't really give good judgement until I've had it for a year or so =/

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%