Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

UK Legal Leatherman?

gb Offline shibafu

Re: UK Legal Leatherman?
Reply #30 on: May 19, 2016, 07:25:30 PM
On the PST / Kick front I'm pretty confident these are NOT legal to carry without just cause. There was a judgement I read (can't remember where) where the wording on "folding" was extended to include the stipulation that the blade must fully fold in without requiring any secondary operation. So in the case of the PST because you'd have to open the handles to fold the blade away it becomes de facto a locking blade knife.

Harris v DPP is the case; the most significant bit of the judgment is "To be a folding pocketknife the knife has to be readily and indeed immediately foldable at all times, simply by the folding process."

gb Offline Biker_Bob

Reply #31 on: May 19, 2016, 07:56:47 PM
On the PST / Kick front I'm pretty confident these are NOT legal to carry without just cause. There was a judgement I read (can't remember where) where the wording on "folding" was extended to include the stipulation that the blade must fully fold in without requiring any secondary operation. So in the case of the PST because you'd have to open the handles to fold the blade away it becomes de facto a locking blade knife.

Harris v DPP is the case; the most significant bit of the judgment is "To be a folding pocketknife the knife has to be readily and indeed immediately foldable at all times, simply by the folding process."

That's the one - thanks!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #32 on: May 19, 2016, 09:13:54 PM

I'm still not sure that says it has to fold completely shut to count, but I agree that's probably what is meant.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

fi Offline Padre

Reply #33 on: May 20, 2016, 10:35:06 AM
What will happen in UK, IF police will find lets say Leatherman Wave from someones pocket? Public execution? Castration with that said tool? How often police searches for said tools from peoples pockets? What kind of risks are we talking about here?
I mean that recently I visited a local jailhouse here and carried Spirit inside by mistake. Officials noted the tool, but didnt care even when it had blade. Does people use any common sense in UK. I know that law is a law, but is it even worth the hazzle to start the process for one handyman tool? 
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

gb Offline Weasel

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: May 20, 2016, 12:19:07 PM
I've always carried whatever I like and so far have never been searched, but if I were most of the time I have a good reason.
Weasel

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #35 on: May 20, 2016, 12:38:31 PM
What will happen in UK, IF police will find lets say Leatherman Wave from someones pocket? Public execution? Castration with that said tool? How often police searches for said tools from peoples pockets? What kind of risks are we talking about here?
I mean that recently I visited a local jailhouse here and carried Spirit inside by mistake. Officials noted the tool, but didnt care even when it had blade. Does people use any common sense in UK. I know that law is a law, but is it even worth the hazzle to start the process for one handyman tool?

It depends where you are, and, sadly, what you look like.  Stop-and-search is almost unheard of in most rural, suburban and commercial city areas.  The power is mainly used in high-crime inner city residential areas, and certain ethnic groups are disproportionately likely to be stopped and searched.  Outside those areas it's vanishingly unlikely that you would ever be searched by the police unless stopped in connection with some other offence.

High-security buildings like courts will have metal detectors so you should be sure not to take your knife or tool in there.  Occasionally they put metal detector arches at one or two London railway stations as part of a "knife crime" campaign but I don't think there is anything like that going on at the moment.

If you were found with a locking blade by a police officer, what would happen then will depend on circumstances.  As a respectable, upstanding person, especially as a foreign visitor who perhaps doesn't know all the details of UK law, there's a good chance that you would just be asked to hand over the tool and no further action would be taken.  But if the officer doesn't like your attitude, or his force is behind on its targets, then arrest and prosecution is certainly a possibility.  It's an easy conviction for the police if they want it, an open-and-shut case.

Penalties for a case with no aggravating factors could range from a fine equivalent to 1-2 weeks pay to 12 weeks in prison.  Probably partly depending on the prevailing level of hysteria amonst the press and politicians about knife crime.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 12:41:44 PM by shibafu »

Offline Omar Rapace

Reply #36 on: May 20, 2016, 02:51:19 PM
Fascinating, compared to the fact that here in Texas we can now open carry guns!

It depends where you are, and, sadly, what you look like.  Stop-and-search is almost unheard of in most rural, suburban and commercial city areas.  The power is mainly used in high-crime inner city residential areas, and certain ethnic groups are disproportionately likely to be stopped and searched.  Outside those areas it's vanishingly unlikely that you would ever be searched by the police unless stopped in connection with some other offence.

High-security buildings like courts will have metal detectors so you should be sure not to take your knife or tool in there.  Occasionally they put metal detector arches at one or two London railway stations as part of a "knife crime" campaign but I don't think there is anything like that going on at the moment.

If you were found with a locking blade by a police officer, what would happen then will depend on circumstances.  As a respectable, upstanding person, especially as a foreign visitor who perhaps doesn't know all the details of UK law, there's a good chance that you would just be asked to hand over the tool and no further action would be taken.  But if the officer doesn't like your attitude, or his force is behind on its targets, then arrest and prosecution is certainly a possibility.  It's an easy conviction for the police if they want it, an open-and-shut case.

Penalties for a case with no aggravating factors could range from a fine equivalent to 1-2 weeks pay to 12 weeks in prison.  Probably partly depending on the prevailing level of hysteria amonst the press and politicians about knife crime.

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #37 on: May 20, 2016, 03:04:34 PM
Fascinating, compared to the fact that here in Texas we can now open carry guns!

How about mamillas?
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69