Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Choosing a thru-hike pack ... best weight or distribution

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Choosing a thru-hike pack ... best weight or distribution
on: September 07, 2012, 05:17:59 PM
Well I've got the bulk of my backpacking selection together now, and it's time to start choosing a pack to carry it all in. I'm going to look this evening at some of my existing packs to see what sort of volume it all equates to ... but I think it'll be around 50-60 litres (3000-3600 Cu In) for my two week kit and I think I've nothing between 35 liters and 75 litres. The current common thinking out there seems to be get the weight of the actual pack down at the expense of other benefits, but there's still a contingent who prefer stability and load distribution even if that carries a weight penalty, and I think that's my bias too.

Figured there's be a few guys here who could through some insight and opinion forwards to help me choose. What would you look for in a pack as a priority? Weight reduction, or load transfer?

:cheers:

EDIT:  :oops: Looks like being more like 70 litres after all  :-\
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 05:51:42 PM by 50ft-trad »

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Choosing a thru-hike pack ... best weight or distribution
Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 08:09:12 PM
To me good wheight distribution and a adjustable frame is most important. If you can't adjust the pack and wheight so that the pack is comfortable to carry when fully loaded, the hike will become a nightmare. The way I see it, its a lot better to carry a heavy pack that is comfortable, than i lighter one that is uncomfortable. But that is just my opinion.
You might get lucky and find a light pack that fits you perfectly  :tu:
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 12:25:35 AM
I'm glad you said that. The 75 litre pack I have is not the lightest, but I can get it to fit well and the compression straps do keep things tidy when there's some surplus space or stop it bulging too much. I'd still be prepared to stick my hand in my pocket to invest in a new pack if I'll get some benefit from it, but I'dhate to do that and wish I'd stuck with what I already have ... or stick with that and get 100 miles in and wish I'd got something else  :-\

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 01:53:44 AM
I'm in the same boat; looking for a good sized and high quality hiking pack that will let me carry a week's or more worth of gear.

My wife bought an Osprey 55L pack this spring, and has used it for a six day hike on the John Muir Trail in the Sierras.  She really loves it.

The one I've got my eye on is the Osprey Aether 70.  I'd also recommend looking into the Gregory packs as well; they get consistently good reviews, as do the Ospreys. 

If you're willing to shell out the clams, there are some pretty sweet Mystery Ranch packs available as well.  I'd say they're probably the best designed and technically sophisticated packs on the market right now, based solely on what I've read about them.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 02:17:43 AM
Thanks for your input Paul, I'll check them out  :tu: Wanting to do a thru-hike in the UK (or certainly the one I have in mind) forces me to carry more than others would on other paths so I feel unable to embrace the ultralight philosophies though I am leeching what I can from them.

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 05:10:38 AM
Thanks for your input Paul, I'll check them out  :tu: Wanting to do a thru-hike in the UK (or certainly the one I have in mind) forces me to carry more than others would on other paths so I feel unable to embrace the ultralight philosophies though I am leeching what I can from them.
Glad to help.  :)

My wife and I are just getting back into backpacking after a long hiatus.  I'm hoping to talk my wife into letting me get that Osprey or another higher end, high capacity pack.  I've seen them from about $220 - $250 US... don't know how that cashes out in quid though...  I may not end up getting a new pack this season, but my goal is to get a new one have done some testing with it by early next Spring.

I just remembered, too, that what you said above about cutting down on complexity to decrease weight is spot-on.  That's exactly what a lot of backpack manufacturers are doing now; eliminating rucksack style side pockets, pole slots, etc. because it makes the pack itself lighter.  I think that's a shame though, because I really like having those two extra side pockets.  But, that's one thing about the Ospreys that I like, they have horizontal compression straps at the top and bottom of the packbag, so an accessory pouch can be attached to them to use as side pockets.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 03:11:31 PM
Seems to Golite Pinnacle might be an option ... off to browse the net for reviews  :whistle:

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 07:20:29 PM
It's a tricky question and one that I have been pondering myself for a while.  Right now I have a decent bag that's fully adjustable and pretty bomb-proof BUT it is a significant weight in itself. :-\  I am sorely tempted to move over to a lighter bag, but only if I can be sure to try it on first and be totally convinced it'll still be comfortable after three days hiking.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 07:28:23 PM
Just as important I think (and I'm pretty sure I'm teaching my Granny to suck eggs here) is the weigh distribution when you are packing.  roughly speaking I try and keep any heavy item in the centre of the bag, with my sleeping bag in the lowest section.  Having a top heavy bag is just a swine on uneven ground in my experience.

Offline labrador72

Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 08:18:49 PM
Osprey make great packs but if U are in the UK I'd take a look at Deuter too: they have a few good options in the 35>90 category.

Sent from my ST27i using Tapatalk 2

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 09:21:35 PM
It's a tricky question and one that I have been pondering myself for a while.  Right now I have a decent bag that's fully adjustable and pretty bomb-proof BUT it is a significant weight in itself. :-\  I am sorely tempted to move over to a lighter bag, but only if I can be sure to try it on first and be totally convinced it'll still be comfortable after three days hiking.

I know what you mean mate. My current 75L pack (which only seems to be slightly more than what I'd be carrying for a long hike  :-\ ), is not too bad for a pack of it's size, but transfers weight to the hips quite well and has an adjustable back. The problem with the lighter packs - especially of that volume - seems to be you lose stability and weight transfer. Plus they're not cheap - so if I do get something that doesn't work for me, I'd down a lot of moolah!

Just as important I think (and I'm pretty sure I'm teaching my Granny to suck eggs here) is the weigh distribution when you are packing.  roughly speaking I try and keep any heavy item in the centre of the bag, with my sleeping bag in the lowest section.  Having a top heavy bag is just a swine on uneven ground in my experience.

Yeah, sticking with current pack ... I'd have shelter in the bottom compartment so it's not dripping on stuff if packed away wet, Jetboil, toiletries and water in side pockets secured with compression straps (if water leaks it's not harming anything), and clothes, sleeping gear etc in an emergency poly bag (doubling as dry bag) in the centre. Food and first aid is normally stowed in the lid. I adopted that set up ages ago ... and I just adopt that format through habit every time now

Osprey make great packs but if U are in the UK I'd take a look at Deuter too: they have a few good options in the 35>90 category.

Welcome to the forum Labrador, and thanks for your input  :tu: I've heard of Osprey before but I'll look into both of them. Deuter is a new one on me  :salute:

Offline labrador72

Reply #11 on: September 13, 2012, 11:56:31 AM
Thank you! :)
Deuter is a German brand and widely available in the UK - they even have a UK dedicated website. I have packs from both brands in the 10>30 L range and find them both excellent. Good luck with your choice.

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: September 13, 2012, 04:56:26 PM
I have heard lots of good things about Deuter as well, though I have never tried their stuff myself.

Welcome to the forum Labrador. :cheers:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: September 13, 2012, 05:15:38 PM
I just had a quick look at a couple of the larger Deuters and Oprey packs online .... and at those prices, they should be carrying me  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh My Freedom Trail Kestrel 75 that has served me well all these years was less than £25 from Argos  :P

I think I need to be absolutely certain of the volume I'll be carrying first then go and prod a few packs in a bricks and mortar shop first. Selling a kidney impares ability to consume alcohol, so I need to get this right first time  ;)

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 10:38:02 AM
I just had a quick look at a couple of the larger Deuters and Oprey packs online .... and at those prices, they should be carrying me  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh My Freedom Trail Kestrel 75 that has served me well all these years was less than £25 from Argos  :P

I think I need to be absolutely certain of the volume I'll be carrying first then go and prod a few packs in a bricks and mortar shop first. Selling a kidney impares ability to consume alcohol, so I need to get this right first time  ;)
Yeah, they are expensive, but in the long run it'll be worth it IMHO.  My wife has an old Dana Designs pack, an arc-light "Wind", and with the proper care and maintenance, it's still going strong after 15 years.  Just make sure you get one that fits you properly and has the features and load carrying capacity you want, and once you get it set up, you shouldn't have to buy another one for at least a couple of decades.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: September 14, 2012, 01:07:18 PM
You're probably right ... still hurts though  :P Hopefully I'll get chance this weekend to "finalise" the volume I need to accommodate, then I think I'll try to get an evening or weekend to go and look at some in person. I think there's a couple of stores less than an hour away that should let me try them on "loaded"

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD