Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Post Office claims another one....

us Offline 82brutus

on: September 10, 2012, 03:17:38 PM
Had a very nice XE6 that I sent off to a forum member and it never made it.  So, I'm out $45 and the XE6. 

Sigh... it figures the first time I didn't see the option for tracking on the automated machine the package would get lost.

Oh well.  Lesson learned.
“We shall neither fail nor falter; we shall not weaken or tire...give us the tools and we will finish the job.” - Winston Churchill

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Re: Post Office claims another one....
Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 05:00:33 PM
Bummer mate  >:( >:(

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 05:34:28 PM
The only thing I've really lost was a Gerber Artifact once that fell out of a package that really looked like the corner had been chewed out by something.  The rest of the stuff in the package made it ok, but the Artifact was long gone.  Thankfully it wasn't one of the more expensive or irreplaceable parts of that package.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 05:38:34 PM
Knock on wood, I haven't lost anything so far, but I nearly lost an inbound PST due to inadequate packing from the seller.. ::)

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 06:07:22 PM
I've been a pretty avid ebay over the last decade and in over 400 shipments Ive never had anything go missing.  Knock on wood, none of the custom SAKS I've sent out have gone missing either.  Its too expensive here to get tracking so I ship airmail and hope the for the best and so far it's been fine.

I have had packages take extra long before though. I shipped a gerber MP600 to poor Tosh over in the UK and it took 2 months to show up!
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 06:43:04 PM
sorry to here this mate as ive been down this road too many times myself  :-\

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 07:21:47 PM
That sucks 82brutus

I've been lucky so far. I've had some that were very slow but all have made it.
Defend the Hive!!!

Offline Biru

Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 09:15:08 PM
If it hasn't been delivered to the wrong address and the recipient kept it, it still might turn up. A few years ago I sent a niece a dress for a special occasion. Don't know what happened (neither did the postmaster in that town), but the dress turned up IN the post office more than two weeks later (way past the occasion). I got a lecture on common mailing mistakes from the postmaster before the package was discovered, but not one iota of any reply after the package came to light (they notified my niece's mother).

Good Luck.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 10:10:10 PM
So far I've been fortunate, nothing lost. 

Although I had a package (to enki_ck, I think) take something like 3 months to arrive.  Maybe not that long, but it was pretty ridiculous!  ::)  Fortunately he was very patient!  :tu:
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline Ashley

• AKA Knife Crazied
Reply #9 on: September 11, 2012, 01:44:27 AM
I currently am awaiting a light from Canada and well it should have been here........I trust the guy who sent it so I'll just wait it out. One time Jeff (cutlerylover) sent me something without DC from 1 state above me and it took 2.5 months. We had both thought it was lost forever.

Sent from Ash forum mobile

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #10 on: September 11, 2012, 02:28:10 AM
For some reason, customs and/or the postal companies love to take forever whenever I send a package abroad. :/

us Offline 82brutus

Reply #11 on: September 11, 2012, 04:23:08 AM
Thanks guys.  Maybe there's some hope it'll find it's way yet. 

Sent from my MB860
“We shall neither fail nor falter; we shall not weaken or tire...give us the tools and we will finish the job.” - Winston Churchill

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: September 11, 2012, 08:47:49 AM
A odd thing i noticed a while back is when i send stuff to trusted friends on here the stuff turns up but when i send it to folks on other forums now and then stuff doesnt arrive  :think: strange isnt it  ::)

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: September 11, 2012, 09:05:56 AM
Sorry to hear about the loss... I've learned through hard experience to never send ANY package through USPS without delivery confirmation

Last summer, they lost a box of books I sent that was 12" x 12" x 16"!!!  It was my own mistake for assuming they were competent enough not to lose something that big.

But, the moral of the story here is that if they can lose something that big, they can lose ANYTHING.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: September 11, 2012, 09:20:05 AM
Sorry to hear about the loss... I've learned through hard experience to never send ANY package through USPS without delivery confirmation

Last summer, they lost a box of books I sent that was 12" x 12" x 16"!!!  It was my own mistake for assuming they were competent enough not to lose something that big.

But, the moral of the story here is that if they can lose something that big, they can lose ANYTHING.

me too mate but funny as stuff only goes missing when its other forums  ::)   :D ive never had a issue on here unless my stupid fault and not packaged it correctly and i dont do that often infact only once, for me i now tend to only do RMSD as safest way, but if short on funds i do sighned for,  :tu:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #15 on: September 11, 2012, 10:20:42 AM
I think the postal networks are so big that having the odd parcel go wayward is inevitable from time to time. I had a close call lately with a parcel that nearly didn't make it. It got as far as the local depot but I never received the notification that it was there and awaiting payment of custom fees. By the time I discovered this it had already been turned round and sent to the national hub for returning back over to the US. The PO did a grand job of intercepting it and redirecting it back to me  :tu: I think the most important part of mailing something is the return address - effectively it doubles the chances of ending up in safe hands.

I hope it eventually turns up mate  :salute:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: September 11, 2012, 10:37:51 AM
I think the postal networks are so big that having the odd parcel go wayward is inevitable from time to time. I had a close call lately with a parcel that nearly didn't make it. It got as far as the local depot but I never received the notification that it was there and awaiting payment of custom fees. By the time I discovered this it had already been turned round and sent to the national hub for returning back over to the US. The PO did a grand job of intercepting it and redirecting it back to me  :tu: I think the most important part of mailing something is the return address - effectively it doubles the chances of ending up in safe hands.

I hope it eventually turns up mate  :salute:

I always do this, although as ive discoverd twice now it can be fun as ive been sent my own parcel  :rofl: Hmm little writing on the back of parcel  ::) or large address on the front  :rofl:  i sent a spyderco to Gojkan in serbia once and it disapeared for about a month and then turned up at my house with no explanation, so i ended paying the postage twice, RM do well out of me  :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: September 11, 2012, 01:15:21 PM
That depends on the package. For many packages it's not worth the extra cost of delivery confirmation.  We have had a number of guys try to do some business around here over the years and failed miserably because the shipping costs (especially out of the US) was just too expensive. No one wants to pay $15 postage on top of a $10 item.

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #18 on: September 11, 2012, 02:19:33 PM
That depends on the package. For many packages it's not worth the extra cost of delivery confirmation.  We have had a number of guys try to do some business around here over the years and failed miserably because the shipping costs (especially out of the US) was just too expensive. No one wants to pay $15 postage on top of a $10 item.

Def

Exactly.  I can ship a SAK by airmail anywhere in the world for 9 bucks.  If I was to get tracking it goes up to 20 and noone wants to pay that.  The airmail has got SAKs to Norway in 4 days, and typically the UK in 5 or 6 which is pretty acceptable.  Ironically getting stuff to the US is often slower than overseas... I blame the USPS or customs.  :think:
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: September 11, 2012, 02:45:51 PM
Yeah the mail between Canada and the US really sucks.  I have been tempted to send stuff to the UK to be re-sent to the US to see if it does indeed get there faster.

Def

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: September 11, 2012, 03:04:25 PM

Def

Yeah i agree Grant i dont go mad on postage if its a cheap item,  :salute:

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #21 on: September 11, 2012, 03:36:09 PM
Too bad .. :(

I myself have been waiting for a keychain flashlight I ordered from the smurfin DinoDirect.com on 13th July.. I've lost hope to receive it already.

cs Offline Vladimir

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: September 11, 2012, 04:12:39 PM
Last year, I received package from US that took 5 months to arrive.

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: September 11, 2012, 04:16:35 PM
I've heard on occasion packages that have arrived months later.  Who knows, you may
get lucky yet, if not it is a bummer.  I too have been an avid buyer from ebay and over
the years have only lost one package which was covered by their BPP.
Unfortunately, it was a very old Buck 110, mid 60's.

Sean

us Offline 82brutus

Reply #24 on: September 11, 2012, 08:57:02 PM
Wow... months!!!!  That's crazy!  Makes you wonder if they field tested whatever it is before they decided they didn't like it and then packaged it up and sent it on.   :whistle:

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #25 on: September 11, 2012, 09:37:36 PM
Wow... months!!!!  That's crazy!  Makes you wonder if they field tested whatever it is before they decided they didn't like it and then packaged it up and sent it on.   :whistle:

Or they just take it and bring it on foot to the recipient... to make it up for the free shipping..  :whistle:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%