Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Ramblings from a MT user

Aloha · 27 · 2330

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Ramblings from a MT user
on: December 09, 2013, 06:21:15 PM
I recently begun debating what to carry on my off days preferring to be lighter yet still very capable.  When I got my Spirit I felt this was the perfect tool that covered anything I may need and carried it in place of my PPP and Paratool.  I like the selection of implements on the spirit and I can really just carry this and be good to go but what’s the fun of just having one tool?

I don't do anything special on my days off as I'm usually running errands or trying to fit the fleamarket in.  In addition to my Spirit I like to have a SAK on me and prefer the Explorer Plus as the pen is quite handy when I'm at the bank or otherwise and realize I need one.  The mag glass has seen its share of usage especially when I'm reading very small printing on packages or looking at GShocks.  I will bring a knife with me and rotate through the Kershaw Chill, Opinel, Kershaw Leek, or Kershaw Cryo.  I like these because they are smaller and thinner and sit very well next to my wallet.  I don't have a routine with my knives I just choose whatever feels right for the day.   

I like to have a light on me as I have found I use them more often than not.  I have a Photon X and a Stream light nano on me at all times then either a Thrunite Tis, Olight I3, Led Lenser P3, or my most recent Maglite XL 50 for larger light output.  As with my knives I will choose whatever light I fancy for that day as all are relatively similar with exception of the Maglite being larger. 

So my off day carry usually looks like this;
Plier based tool
Blade
SAK
Light

The other day I left the house without my plier layer and inevitably needed it.  I don't know why I chose not to bring it with me I just left the house and left it behind.  Yesterday I almost did the exact same thing and at the last moment decided to bring my Wave though I brought it without the extras (cards/extension).  I ended up using my Wave to help some guy and I was glad to have brought it. I may not ALWAYS need my tools however someone always does and that is more than reason enough to be prepared.  I like to help when I can and I will normally stop to assist someone who looks to need assistance.  It's this second situation that was a good reminder to bring my tools because it sure felt good to help this guy get up and running when he was totally stressed. 

My tool selection doesn't hinder me or weigh me down so why not just bring them I said to myself.    I carry tools out of the desire to lend a hand if a situation arises and to be able to help myself as well.  These occurrences can be few and far between but having my easily carried tools give me peace of mind and satisfaction of being able to help if the situation calls. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
Re: Ramblings from a MT user
Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 06:27:56 PM
It does seem that what-ever implement you are not carrying will be the one you suddenly need.

I know the first day I go with the Rebar instead of the Charge, I will wish I had the bit adapter and bit cards.  I KNOW IT!.

I also have carried a SAK without a mag glass ONCE in the past 4 or 5 months, but my Co-worker was like "Hey let me borrow your mag glass"   :facepalm:  Didn't Have it.

I prefer too much over not enough.  after a while you do not notice the extra weight, and it becomes the norm.
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 06:47:27 PM
I hear you, I don't try to plan for all occurrences as my MacGyver ability will always kick in but having the items I feel most cover me on me has been where I have focusing.  I like the Spirit as the tool set seems more advantageous across the board for me and a SAK ( Explorer Plus, Swisschamp ) do the trick.  I really like having the inline driver and mag glass big time and am now looking at the CT Lite as a possible contender to kick the Explorer and Swisschamp out of my pocket.   

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 07:07:05 PM
but having my easily carried tools give me peace of mind

I believe that for the vast majority of us, this is the primary reasons we carry this stuff.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 07:30:44 PM

I believe that for the vast majority of us, this is the primary reasons we carry this stuff.

I'm pretty sure that's the case as well.  I guess my ramblings were a combination of several weeks of debating what to carry and why.  I've seen some people really take to the "EDC Lifestyle" and carry tons of items/gadgets and I wanted to be streamlined yet capable on my off days.  At work I'm very much sorted with what I carry it was mostly off days that had me assessing my needs.  I feel for now my Plier/SAK/Knife/Light layers are all very capable and I may add an item or three to the mix I have settled into a comfort zone.  I didn't mention I always have a PFAK on me as well, it's simple but also seems to get used regularly for others.

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline detron

Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 07:35:13 PM

I'm pretty sure that's the case as well.  I guess my ramblings were a combination of several weeks of debating what to carry and why.  I've seen some people really take to the "EDC Lifestyle" and carry tons of items/gadgets and I wanted to be streamlined yet capable on my off days.  At work I'm very much sorted with what I carry it was mostly off days that had me assessing my needs.  I feel for now my Plier/SAK/Knife/Light layers are all very capable and I may add an item or three to the mix I have settled into a comfort zone.  I didn't mention I always have a PFAK on me as well, it's simple but also seems to get used regularly for others.

well, thanks to Google I know I am an idiot now!  :rofl:

PFAK, IS NOT something something Army knife!   :rofl:

My first thought was Paris France Army Knife, then Poland ______  Army Knife.  Finally I googled it, 

I WAS WAY OFF  (even though I have one, just never acronymed it)

Personal First Aid Kit   :rofl:      :facepalm:  <---Me

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 07:44:24 PM
 :rofl:
that's some funny stuff Detron.  Having small children demands having one, I kust kept carrying one as they got older so nothing new for me.  I carry the basics in addition to ibuprofen chewables and spray hand sanitizer.  My PFAK fits into a small wallet or I'll just carry my SOS KIT that is now more 1st aid than survival or sos plus it has my swisschamp neatly housed beside in the leather sheath.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline detron

Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 07:49:20 PM
yeah that was the heaviest Google result I ever had.  like a ton of bricks hit me and really humbled my IQ level quite a bit.

in my backpack that I take everywhere, I have a PFAK ( :ahhh ) in a little white plastic case, a little bigger than an Altoids tin.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 07:50:57 PM

At least for me that is true. I hardly use my MT but it makes me feel good knowing I'm prepared.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline detron

Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 07:53:06 PM

At least for me that is true. I hardly use my MT but it makes me feel good knowing I'm prepared.

I agree!  I could make it without any tool, but I enjoy my MTs and SAKs.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, 07:54:25 PM
I think I have that same little white plastic case. It started off as like a $2 first aid kit, which I have since customized. Nice starting point, and decent case, both in size and durability.

Detron, don't feel silly about the acronym issue. When I was in the military, AND IT, everything was acronym alphabet soup. "That SU request is now OBE, thanks to the QA's report. This project is all Tango Uniform." I would just stare blankly, then smile and nod.

As for my basic carry these days... SOG Crosscut and Preon A0 Atom. Very small and very handy.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: December 09, 2013, 07:54:44 PM
My kids carry them too in a little zippered pouches.  I have used this little kit more times than I can remember for perfect strangers.  Parents are always happy when you hand them a wipe and band aid for their kid not to mention little kids seem to feel better when a band aid is applied to the smallest wound. 
Esse Quam Videri

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: December 09, 2013, 08:17:35 PM
My first aid kit consists of a can of spray bandage

So far it has served me well.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: December 09, 2013, 08:30:04 PM
That's pretty neat.  I debated on getting liquid/new skin but passed as I didn't want to use the brush on some strangers cut then put the brush back into bottle.  The spray looks to be a better choice when treating strangers.  I have spray Neosporin and paper towels I cut into small squares to clean the wound and standard band aids.  I usually just hand a band aid, antiseptic wipe, and cut paper towel to whomever rather than treat them.  I will help it they need it but mostly my kit is for simple cuts so most should be fine aiding themselves.           
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #14 on: December 12, 2013, 04:34:43 AM

+1
That is the case for me.  I've mentioned before that I don't use them much, especially the plier based MT, but I still prefer to have it on me for the occasional times I do need it.  Just because we carry these items every day, doesn't mean we will have to use them every day.  A lot of times, it just seems like a knife is all I really need, but I like my MTs/SAKs. 

I think I've found my ideal combos with the Wingman/Ranger and Sidekick/Yeochamp setups.  I like having a OHO blade.  It's funny how it isn't really necessary for me to have one, but it's so nice to just be able to flick open a blade one handed.  It's more convenient than I realize, regardless of the degree of necessity for me. 

Oh, and I like the title of the thread Aloha :tu:  It fits me very well ;)
K-Tibbs

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: December 12, 2013, 05:58:04 AM
I know there are many "EDCers" who carry a lot of things with them and rarely if ever use them.  I use my tools everyday for work so debating my carry was mainly for my off days.  At home I didn't carry any tools or lights on me UNTILL a not long ago when we had a brown out.  I fumbled around the dark trying to get to my candles and lighter and eventually got one lit.  I also needed a blade and didn't have a SAK or blade on me for whatever reason and went to the kitchen to grab one.  It's these situations that come to mind but there are many others that had me thinking about why I'm so lax when at home and on my day off.  At work I tend to be the very opposite and like to have as much as I can handle out of pure convenience. 

I've narrowed down what I like to have on me based on what I have been in need of in random past situations.  Up till the brown out I hadn't followed any set carry routines or standards as I found myself carrying stuff I liked rather than items I had needed or may need.  I try to not get worked up with having all the right tools or preparedness and tend to be of the mind set having some thing on me is better than nothing.

I admittedly just like having my awesome tools on me sometimes as I'm sure other do too. I have been following a standard carry for my off days and will maintain this adding other items in as I feel.  I guess I have more or less become a "EDCer" and that's not a bad thing.     
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #16 on: December 12, 2013, 02:30:44 PM
Exactly.  Since I'm more of an office jockey, I don't encounter much need to use them, other than opening boxes and the occasional odd job/task that may require an unexpected use (like having to use the metal file/saw to actually saw some metal racks to fit in a desk drawer for a fellow employee, which was the first and only time I've used the file for that function).  It's those random, unexpected odd tasks that make me glad I carry these items, and consider it worthwhile for that alone.  I am in an Office Services position, so I do occasionally encounter these odd things. 

I also try not to dwell on the minutia of having every tool covered by what I carry and the preparedness factor, but it is my nature to do so (hence the rambling ;)).  As you said, having something is better than nothing, and I figure I'm fairly well prepared when I carry a MT/SAK combo, and even moreso if I include my OHMasterRT (as I have today).  That's three items, which I know I don't need and likely won't use for the most part, but what can I say?  I like the peace of mind of knowing I do have these on me in case I need them, and I like fiddling with them as well ;)

So my friend, there is nothing wrong with being an "EDCer" at all as far as I'm concerned :tu:
K-Tibbs

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #17 on: December 12, 2013, 04:06:39 PM
Exactly.  Since I'm more of an office jockey, I don't encounter much need to use them, other than opening boxes and the occasional odd job/task that may require an unexpected use (like having to use the metal file/saw to actually saw some metal racks to fit in a desk drawer for a fellow employee, which was the first and only time I've used the file for that function).  It's those random, unexpected odd tasks that make me glad I carry these items, and consider it worthwhile for that alone.  I am in an Office Services position, so I do occasionally encounter these odd things. 

I also try not to dwell on the minutia of having every tool covered by what I carry and the preparedness factor, but it is my nature to do so (hence the rambling ;)).  As you said, having something is better than nothing, and I figure I'm fairly well prepared when I carry a MT/SAK combo, and even moreso if I include my OHMasterRT (as I have today).  That's three items, which I know I don't need and likely won't use for the most part, but what can I say? I like the peace of mind of knowing I do have these on me in case I need them, and I like fiddling with them as well ;)

So my friend, there is nothing wrong with being an "EDCer" at all as far as I'm concerned :tu:

+1  :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: December 12, 2013, 04:42:09 PM
My friend works in an office setting as well and carries a Juice, Tinker, Spyderco, and a Classic and interestingly enough has used all but the Spyderco.  I more or less left the house rationalizing what to carry since it was few and far between when I actually used what I had.  I have stepped away from the mindset of use vs useful and I will practice a regular carry for my off days.  I don't need to use them for them to be useful as I get a satisfaction out of having them on me however past experiences tells me a time will come for them to put into action be it small or large.

My plier, SAK, Blade, and Light layers are my base and I'll add or change out items as I feel.  Weird how it took reoccurring situations of someone else's need to get me thinking.  I was always so random in my off day I really never thought about it.         
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline detron

Reply #19 on: December 12, 2013, 04:52:32 PM
to me I carry things because I like to, and I want to.  to me the best way to explain it is as follows.

whatever I EDC removes the related unforeseen issues from being a problem.

I carry a lighter, and a flint steel tied to my boot tongue.
     Emergency need of fire should not be a problem

I wear a Paracord belt everyday along with a paracord bracelet.
       emergency need for rope, string, floss are not a problem

you get the idea, I am not trying to prepare for the zombie apocalypse, I am trying to eliminate small individual emergency problems from being a daily concern.  I know that 99.999% of the time these items will not be needed, but if they ever are truly needed, they will be crucial, and I will be happy I have them,

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: December 12, 2013, 05:27:10 PM
I was over analyzing why, what, and other unknowns and ended up not bringing items that I would otherwise and wouldn't second guess for work 'just in case" situations.  I may have a split personality haha, work related I'm loaded up as my LM sheath can attest but for off day I faltered. 

These are just some things I had been thinking about on and off for a bit.  I have settled into a nice off day carry which is simple yet effective.  I end up working a lot so my off days can be 1 day every 2 weeks at times and when I'm off I'm usually home or errands.  I used to think a quick trip to the store, "do I need to load out?"  Interestingly of course these are the exact times I could have aided someone.  I'll remind you I tend to lend a hand to strangers who appear to need a hand.   

After work I stopped by the market and had my niteize case setup ( totally stuffed with all kinds of goodies ).  I saw a lady fiddling with a stroller that lost a screw so out came the zip ties for a temporary fix and voila she was back in business. 

I was getting into my car at a store when along side me a guy was trying to open a box with filament type tape with his key to no avail, out comes the Kershaw Cryo and off I go.

Then there are the times when I'm tool less and a simple flat driver and a blade would have been awesome.  A small plier even one from a SAK would have been great and nope I decided to only carry a blade.  It's more these types situations that prompted a regular carry "EDC" if you will.             
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #21 on: December 12, 2013, 07:58:01 PM
A lighter is something I should be carrying.  If I still smoked, that wouldn't be an issue of course, but I do have a mini Bic lighter that I tried carrying briefly.  For some reason I stopped, but I think I need to find it and include it.  It would fit just fine in the little change pocket in the RFP of my work pants, right next to my SAK.  One never knows when one may need to create fire :tu:

Even when I'm just kicking around the house on the weekend or evenings after work, I usually still carry a MT/SAK combo, or at the very least a SAK.  I have a plier MT sitting in my computer desk, which is where I'm at much of my free time at night, so I don't alway need one on me.  Still usually do though ;)  During the warmer summer months when I'm in gym shorts, then I will just have a SAK on me.  Or maybe a small plier MT like my Juice KF4 or even a PST as they weigh the same. 
K-Tibbs

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: December 13, 2013, 04:31:35 AM
For me to carry an item, I generally need to be able to answer "yes" to at least one of the following questions:
  • Do/will I use the item regularly, i.e. at least a couple of times per week, on average?
  • Can I envision a realistic scenario in which the item is needed to save a life (mine or someone else's)?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: December 13, 2013, 07:05:40 AM
For me to carry an item, I generally need to be able to answer "yes" to at least one of the following questions:
  • Do/will I use the item regularly, i.e. at least a couple of times per week, on average?
  • Can I envision a realistic scenario in which the item is needed to save a life (mine or someone else's)?

This is great thank you
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #24 on: December 13, 2013, 03:49:19 PM

Two good questions, both of which I can answer "yes".  Of course the saving a life thing isn't really predictable, but it's always a possibility.  I know I do use at least my SAK a couple times a week or more, even if it's just the blade or scissors.  Much of the other misc type tools on them may hardly ever be used, but I like them anyway.  Same with my plier MTs.  Although lately with my Wingman and Sidekick, I've been using the OHO blade more than my SAK blade as it really is convenient, especially if I'm using my left hand to hold something. 
K-Tibbs

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #25 on: December 13, 2013, 04:20:35 PM
I always try to have scissors, blade for small tasks around the office, blade for food prep, philips and regular screw drivers, pliers, flashlight.

Lately I've managed to have this with the Vic Signature Light + Sanrenmu 763 + Swiss-Tech 19-in-1. Had some situations where I've used all of them and didn't need nothing else.

So, for the time being, this is my primary EDC.

:tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: December 14, 2013, 03:45:37 AM

This is great thank you

:salute:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75