Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Lockblade VS linerlock

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Lockblade VS linerlock
on: September 14, 2012, 07:58:58 PM
I just got a victrinox Adventurer and I noticed that the lockblade mecanism is very different from the linerlock mecanism. Does anyone know why they make the two different locks? Is one better than the other? Does t have something to do with the knifelaws of some countries?  :think:

-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Lockblade VS linerlock
Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 08:14:19 PM
My understanding is that the slide-lock is Vic's older design and the one you'll actually find on all their thicker 111mm SAKs.  http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Victorinox+111mm+Slide+Lock+Models

I think the liner-lock was first used on the 111mm GAK and was considered to be stronger. http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Victorinox+111mm+Liner+Lock+Models

Still not sure why they continue to make two different lock systems TBH, but I actually prefer the older slide-lock as I find it easier to disengage.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 08:32:41 PM
As Gareth noted, the linerlock is stronger, it is also more resilient against dirt in the mechanism. And especially the newest version of the locking liner feels rather uncomfortable in my hand... (It bites into my finger joints.) Oh, and btw, the pins are thicker in the linerlock models, those knives are generally stronger, not only in the choice of locking mechanism.

I suspect the sidelocking model will be phased out in time.

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 09:22:51 PM
Thanks guys!
The lockblade version is more comfortable in the hand. I guess the perfect solution would be a liner lock that you can disengage with the button on the side, sort of like wenger's solution.
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%