Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New phone on it's way

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
New phone on it's way
on: September 17, 2012, 11:58:04 AM
After killing my Nokia C6 in a puddle yesterday  :facepalm: I decided to contact my network provider to find out when my upgrade is due ...

... January 2012  :facepalm: :facepalm:

At least it means I get another phone quickly  :D and I've got a Nokia Lumia 800 coming tomorrow.

Anyone familiar with these? I've managed to avoid the android/ipod scene till now so it will be my first real smartphone. Good choice or should I be self-flagilating now?  :D :D

EDIT: Just thought - this should probably be in the gadget freak/edc forum (sorry) could a mod shift it over please. Ta  :cheers:
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 12:01:54 PM by 50ft-trad »

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
New phone on it's way
Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 12:24:07 PM
My wife have the 710 and it's a great phone.. :tu: I think you'll like the 800..

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Re: New phone on it's way
Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 12:47:29 PM
Nokia IMHO has always made a great phone!  The Lumina 800 looks great, but the Windows OS on it really isn't for me.  Then again, Windows on anything really isn't for me  :poh:

au Offline mvyrmnd

• Tupperware Hunter
New phone on it's way
Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 12:52:29 PM
I just set up the junior burger 610 for my mum. It was a good little phone. The bigger ones must be better :)
Just don't say fecal coagulation.  :twak: - Mr. Whippy

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 09:27:00 PM
My Dad's got the 800 and swears by it, rather than at it :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 09:51:51 PM
Im sure you will be happy with it Al , i got my first smart phone last week and im still amazed by it, look forward to your thoughts on it mate   :tu:

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
New phone on it's way
Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 09:59:25 PM
Im sure you will be happy with it Al , i got my first smart phone last week and im still amazed by it, look forward to your thoughts on it mate   :tu:
What did you get..? :)

us Offline Ashley

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • AKA Knife Crazied
New phone on it's way
Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 02:33:30 AM
There was life before smart phones? :think:

Sent from Ash forum mobile

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 03:16:57 AM
Yes, but it was cheap and unfulfilling....

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 08:09:23 AM
Thanks guys  :D

us Offline GNandGS

Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 09:24:41 AM
If you do not have unlimited data plan, be mindful of your usage.  Have fun!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 09:35:08 AM
500Mb  :think:

I don't use the phone a huge amount for online stuff ... or haven't done before. I am very mindful about this though, and it is something I'll need to keep an eye on  :tu:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 10:42:29 AM

I don't use the phone a huge amount for online stuff ... or haven't done before. I am very mindful about this though, and it is something I'll need to keep an eye on  :tu:

ive got 500mb on my new phone Al and its more than enough as they say the average person wouldnt use more than 250mb, i used 140 downloading a zombie game  :D

What did you get..? :)

I got the LG optimus l3 and love it Allan,  :tu:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, 11:37:20 AM

ive got 500mb on my new phone Al and its more than enough as they say the average person wouldnt use more than 250mb, i used 140 downloading a zombie game  :D

Cheers Paul, I'm pretty sure it'll be fine. I reckon the first month will be the worst anyway until the novelty calms down and I get it set up how I want it  :D

us Offline GNandGS

Reply #14 on: September 18, 2012, 11:50:20 AM
Its easy to use a lot of data if you have:
email
facebook
picture sharing
voice apps - like skype or talkatone

Its sooo easy to check those things including links to funny videos and multitool photo threads. 

Use wifi everywhere - its only a pain the first time but most of us have routine and regular haunts
Tether... if someone else has a better data plan & has the option, their phone can be a hotspot!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: September 18, 2012, 12:03:05 PM
Home internet connection is a dongle ... no wireless, and at work it's all Cat5  :facepalm:
I think I just need to behave myself .... or maybe just find out what it would cost to go unlimited  ;)

us Offline GNandGS

Reply #16 on: September 18, 2012, 03:45:15 PM
In that case its very simple: turn off the data.  lol   :pok:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: September 18, 2012, 03:54:36 PM
 :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: September 19, 2012, 03:39:06 PM
Well I must say, it's a nice phone - or at least it would be if it wasn't for the data parasites at Microsoft!!!

All contact details migrated onto Microsoft Live without my permission or ability to turn it off. Unable to download apps/games without ticking a box that says it's OK for Microsoft to send me "updates" (sales spam) which may incur charges ... yup, I can't download something unless I agree that they might send me something without my permission and charge me for it  :-\ ... and that's just what I've found so far

More enforced malware basically - at least with Facebook etc I can decide not to bother ... but it's a bit more tricky with something like a mobile phone (for me anyway). Nice phone - shame about the software spyware it runs on

I intentionally avoided the Google operated Android for this reason, and suspected Apple would be as bad, but I didn't expect my Nokia phone to force me to divulge my entire social framework to Microsoft. I fully expect Governments to forcibly ensnare all my personal details, but expect to be able to opt out of doing the same with commercial organisations!

Scamming parasitic little :serverloft: :serverloft: :serverloft:  :rant: :viking: :bnghd:

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: September 19, 2012, 09:13:22 PM
C'mon Al, tell us how you really feel about it..  :D :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: September 19, 2012, 10:26:29 PM
I can't, you'd ban me  :oops: :D :D :D

I spoke to the service provider about it, who said it was outside their remit so I'd need to speak to Microsoft. Microsoft said they couldn't find any way to address it and I need to speak to Nokia as it's their license and they hold the keys. Nokia said they are mindless cretins who can't handle anything that isn't on their script or that they can't reframe as being a benefit to your experience of their service ... I might have paraphrased that slightly ... and that I need to speak direct to the software developers.

The software developers aren't allowed to use telephones it seems. They just sit in their little techy caves and stare at screens and if it isn't there it doesn't exist  ::) So I logged directly on to the developers suite and logged a ticket in their system.  :whistle:

The "milestone" which I suppose in real-world-speak is "status" is showing as "backlog" ... not surprised if they can't pick up a phone and fix stuff. Conversations must take a lot longer to get to the bottom of via reciprocated texts and emails  ::) So I'm now just waiting for the "milestone" to say "finished looking at illicit filth, and the manager is walking about so I'd better do something" to see whether they actually address it or (as they appear to have done on some stuff by the looks of it) close it as an "irrelevant ticket" so they can watch a few episodes of South Park before they go home and do exactly the same in their own little darkened techy cave at home.

If anyone here is one of those techy cave dwellers with access to the protocols involved, feel free to fix my phone for me   :cheers: :D

us Offline GNandGS

Reply #21 on: September 20, 2012, 04:02:58 AM
The dirty secret is if you are using accounts that already existed then they have your info already.  Just because you NOW can see it from your end makes it appear more evil.  It's evil alright but not "new" evil.

You might think the exception is your contacts being added to "live".  While annoying I doubt anything will come of it.  Tip idea: log into your live account from a PC and set your prefs there.  Just like Mobile FB, there are settings you may not see on mobile.  Tip2: in live you can remove contacts.  Tip3: make sure those contacts are not also in any chat app options, they used to be managed separately (not sure now).

Welcome to Windows 8! lol

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: September 20, 2012, 09:09:45 AM
The dirty secret is if you are using accounts that already existed then they have your info already.  Just because you NOW can see it from your end makes it appear more evil.  It's evil alright but not "new" evil.

You might think the exception is your contacts being added to "live".  While annoying I doubt anything will come of it.  Tip idea: log into your live account from a PC and set your prefs there.  Just like Mobile FB, there are settings you may not see on mobile.  Tip2: in live you can remove contacts.  Tip3: make sure those contacts are not also in any chat app options, they used to be managed separately (not sure now).

Welcome to Windows 8! lol

Well I'm not convinced it even stores my contacts on my phone at all now. I think it only puts them on the internet. There's no facility to send one person another person's contact details. Unless my feelings change over the next couple of days, it's going back! I wanted a phone, not an online social networking infrastructure to have to manage. Don't get me started on Facebook either! When they updated their privacy policies lately, they reset all my privacy settings and every restriction I had set was reset free for all to see.

They're all as bad as each other ... I just don't like to make it easy for them. I don't like being a commodity for them to make money from and not get any big handfuls of cash back in return. Like I say ... they're parasites

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: September 20, 2012, 10:27:04 AM
As I suspected, the "milestone" went from "backlog" to "irrelevant ticket", although they were kind enough to confirm this is an operating system issue not an application, which puts the ball back in Microsoft's court ... and it also means they were lying

It's going back!!! So now I need help choosing from this lot which are the options I can switch to free of charge:

Sony Experia Miro
Samsung Galaxy S2
HYC Desire C
HTC 1S
Blackberry 9790
Blackberry 9360

I'll have a little look at them myself anyway, but feel free to help guide a poor clueless luddite to a suitable device  :P :D :D :D :salute:

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: September 20, 2012, 11:34:58 AM
Sony Experia Miro
Samsung Galaxy S2
HYC Desire C
HTC 1S
Blackberry 9790
Blackberry 9360

No Iphone..?  :ahhh :ahhh
The guys I know who owns a Galaxy are pleased with it..  ::) ;)

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #25 on: September 20, 2012, 12:28:52 PM
My wife has a Galaxy S3 (switched from an iPhone) and loves it.  The Desire 1S also looks like a nice phone.  I've always been a fan of HTC phones, but when I got my new one, I decided on the Galaxy Nexus and have no regrets.

A couple of guys I know bought Windows phones, and kept them for about as long as you have!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: September 20, 2012, 12:42:52 PM
My wife has a Galaxy S3 (switched from an iPhone) and loves it.  The Desire 1S also looks like a nice phone.  I've always been a fan of HTC phones, but when I got my new one, I decided on the Galaxy Nexus and have no regrets.

A couple of guys I know bought Windows phones, and kept them for about as long as you have!

Thanks  :tu: Nice to know it's not just me  :)

Seems like the others all run on Android though, which if I understand correctly is about as private as Facebook and has the same morals too. Are they as bad as the scaremongers would have us all believe? I have a sneaky feeling at this stage my next phone might be a Blackberry. The 9790 looks quite nice.  :) I'm quite prepared to lose some availability of apps to not be data raped at every opportunity.

Is having a Blackberry like having a "normal" phone, but with more buttons?

No Iphone..?  :ahhh :ahhh
The guys I know who owns a Galaxy are pleased with it..  ::) ;)

Nope iPhone wasn't an option. What are they like for respecting the customer and allowing them control of what's going off? I must admit I've never had anything to do with apple at all
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 01:00:17 PM by 50ft-trad »

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #27 on: September 20, 2012, 12:52:16 PM
I would recommend that you get Galaxy S2, it's a darned good phone. I had the HTC Desire Z before I got my S3 and after a year I was fed up with it, experienced problems with the phone only after a  couple of months and no software update fixed it so I guess it was HTC's touch flow that messed with the system. So no HTC for me in the future, tried them twice and not happy with them.

Sent from my Galaxy S3
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #28 on: September 20, 2012, 12:55:25 PM
You can easily prevent being dataraped by not having a Google account or any other accounts connected to your phone, works fine without one :-)

Sent from my Galaxy S3
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: September 20, 2012, 01:45:22 PM
I would recommend that you get Galaxy S2, it's a darned good phone. I had the HTC Desire Z before I got my S3 and after a year I was fed up with it, experienced problems with the phone only after a  couple of months and no software update fixed it so I guess it was HTC's touch flow that messed with the system. So no HTC for me in the future, tried them twice and not happy with them.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Cheers Kenneth, I think I've heard good reports about the S2 before ... maybe my brother or sis-in-law  :think:

You can easily prevent being dataraped by not having a Google account or any other accounts connected to your phone, works fine without one :-)

Sent from my Galaxy S3

So the problem is not so much the phones but what they're linked to? I thought the apps themselves were part of the gremlins  :think:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD