Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New phone on it's way

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: New phone on it's way
Reply #30 on: September 20, 2012, 03:52:01 PM
You could get a phone like this and no one would be able to steal your info:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #31 on: September 20, 2012, 04:04:12 PM
 :D

A lot more puddle resistant too I'd imagine  ;)

Choosing a multitool is so much easier  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline GNandGS

Reply #32 on: September 20, 2012, 07:24:39 PM
I would think on the android you could enable or disable pretty much anything.  Iphone can also.  You can allow or not allow pretty much everything.  For apps, unless you jump through hoops, both platforms will require at least an email address to create your account to download goodies.

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Re: Re: New phone on it's way
Reply #33 on: September 20, 2012, 08:06:28 PM

So the problem is not so much the phones but what they're linked to? I thought the apps themselves were part of the gremlins  :think:

Apps are also a problem if you don't want to be dataraped, when you want to bye or download an app from Google play you can see what the app want access to on your phone, if a silly little game for kids want to read you phone status and have the ability to make calls and send SMS then something is not right.

You and me are Google's product, but the good thing is that you can affect what they know, the downside with you not linking you Google account to your phone is that you can't use your phone to the fullest that Google intended you to. What you should really be worried about is what your phone company collects and store about you, with Google you can choose what they know about you by turning your GPS, 3G and WiFi off.

Sent from my Galaxy S3
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #34 on: September 20, 2012, 11:59:50 PM
Ironically, I'm not concerned about the phone company. I have a contract with them and expect them to keep records of my usage. That puts them in the same category as my bank or Paypal who are legitimately entitled to records. The parasites that annoy me are the ones whose business model is purely and simply to filch as much personal data as they can from you for their commercial gain, and just see everyone as a crop for harvesting that data from

As for turning 3G and GPS off, that kind of buggers up the reason for having the phones in the first place. Blackberry is sounding like the way forward. They seem like the only ones with any scruples left ... or more than the others anyway

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #35 on: September 21, 2012, 12:05:53 AM
I only turn GPS on when I need it, most of the location service like weather works fine with cell tower coarse location, which usually is accurate to 500m to 1km.

As for data, I don't know if your OS has it build in, but there are many apps that will monitor your data usage and cut off when limit is reached, quite useful if your monthly allowance isn't high.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #36 on: September 21, 2012, 12:46:05 AM
Ironically, I'm not concerned about the phone company. I have a contract with them and expect them to keep records of my usage. That puts them in the same category as my bank or Paypal who are legitimately entitled to records. The parasites that annoy me are the ones whose business model is purely and simply to filch as much personal data as they can from you for their commercial gain, and just see everyone as a crop for harvesting that data from

As for turning 3G and GPS off, that kind of buggers up the reason for having the phones in the first place. Blackberry is sounding like the way forward. They seem like the only ones with any scruples left ... or more than the others anyway

Blackberry?  Scruples?   :rofl:  That's a good one....

The only reason they aren't screwing anyone over is because they didn't think of it... just like they didn't think of free market apps, they didn't think of multimedia functions, they didn't think of incorporating additional functions, they didn't think of on screen keyboards.... etc etc etc.

If anyone at BB had any intelligence whatsoever they would be dominating the mobile market worldwide and iOS, Windows and Android phones would be a mere footnote.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline GNandGS

Reply #37 on: September 21, 2012, 02:40:16 AM
Look, I'm the guy that ONLY used his real name on Facebook because his wife refused to acknowledge him until the name was changed (and awful pic too!).  So I "get it".  That's why I crawled through all the settings and do not have any apps in FB etc.

On the phone it is no different.  You can disable a lot of the info gathering.  I think you should give it a try before jumping ship to something that isn't any better.  Google up some privacy info and see what can be done first.

Remember: some settings for accounts accessed by mobile are best changed from the desktop.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #38 on: September 21, 2012, 07:51:04 PM
Thanks for all your suggestions guys  :tu: I've made the phone call and the Lumia 800 will be exchanged on Tuesday. Rightly or wrongly I've decided to give Blackberry a try

:pommel:

I know your suggestions have all been angled elsewhere folks, but Blackberry haven't pissed me off yet and Google have - simple as that. Maybe I'll try an Android next time if I'm unhappy with Blackberry, but I wasn't prepared to smile and let the vultures at Google make a few extra quid out of me when there was another unexplored option to try first.

So I now have a 9790 coming, and from speaking to a few mates they reckon it'll give me all the facilities I want without the associated silliness. I hope they're right  :whistle:

Thanks again for all your input  :salute:

us Offline GNandGS

Reply #39 on: September 22, 2012, 02:23:21 AM
Blackberry... its a real PIA when it comes to preventing unwanted data transfer.  Not 100% sure on your model but the ones I used:

*If not using a data plan will require you to set not only your wifi as preferred but also disable all other data.  This is important!  Even if you connect with wifi it can switch to mobile data without telling you.  It seemed to me there is a priority given over wifi.
*If wifi only you will need to set your browser for "hotspot" or it will not work.
*You will be required to have a BB login if wanting to configure email accounts using the apps provided.  Not really an issue but other phones you configure/manage accounts on device.

If you DO have a data plan but wish to use wifi to save $ this means you will be disabling data on the phone THEN having to change browser to hotspot mode.  Then switching both back when in a remote place or without wifi.  I hope they fixed this in your version.

Why?  Because getting multitool.org messages on the go is addicting! ;)

us Offline GNandGS

Reply #40 on: September 22, 2012, 02:34:25 AM
I dont think I made that clear enough... BB actually cripples or disables features if data is not enabled.  For example: if you know others with BB phones ask for their PIN and you can send messages for free.  Cool right?  It is, but requires data turned on even if wifi is active.  Dangerous settings to have when you get up and leave the coffee shop.

Again, they may have fixed all that.  Fact is you have a smart phone and it would be nice to get the most out of it so be sure to have a look into how others use their BB to the max without charges - BB is different from other phones this way.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: September 22, 2012, 05:13:53 AM
My wife has an S3 and she really likes it; better than her previous iPhone 3GS.  I find it cludgy and awkward.  It's too big to comfortably use in one hand, and I have big hands... 

The OS is also filled with stupid little annoyances you have to deal with all the time that aren't in iOS.  Just a few minutes of fiddling with it showed me that Android is indeed a cheap knock off of iOS.

The only thing I see in it that I like is the larger screen size, but in turn, that makes it hard to use one handed.  Even though the screen is physically larger, the pixel density isn't any greater than my three year old 3GS.

I'm well over my upgrade term, so I'm saving my pennies for the new iPhone 5.  Probably won't get one for at least a month though, because I'm not an early adopter, and I'm happy to wait for the demand to slacken first. 
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #42 on: September 22, 2012, 07:13:40 AM
@ GNandGS ...

I don't think  :think: any of that stuff will actually affect me really :think: ...
I'll not be using wifi as I don't have it at home or work, and I'm wary of "free" hotspots. Visiting friends or relatives maybe, but otherwise it'll just be the 500Mb data plan for me. I'll also not be doing the quirky BB pin swap and messaging lark. In fact to be honest I quite like the fact that you have to change your connectivity method manually - to me that sounds better than the phone connecting to whatever it feels like. I don't think I'll need that much data anyway. I tried using a tapatalk style doofer on this phone, and lasted less than 10 minutes before deciding I'll stick to PC/laptop for my MTo fix. For the most part, my phone will simply be a phone perhaps with email checks, occasional web access, and even more occasional GPS. I don't even use the camera much

us Offline GNandGS

Reply #43 on: September 22, 2012, 10:08:50 AM
Im pretty sure you can manage.  You did misunderstand one bit: it WILL choose to connect to what it wants... which is your data plan by default.  You usage = less likely to have a problem though so carry on carry on.

snark: In crippled form you can still make calls and check time but any dumb phone can do that. ;)

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #44 on: September 22, 2012, 01:02:33 PM
The OS is also filled with stupid little annoyances you have to deal with all the time that aren't in iOS.  Just a few minutes of fiddling with it showed me that Android is indeed a cheap knock off of iOS.

I have to say I really don't agree with that statement.  I think the OS is far from a cheap knock off, but unfortunately, depending on which phone maker you have, they will put their own twist on the OS.  For that reason, I went with the Galaxy Nexus, which is pure Android, without the other added crap.

My wife switched from and iPhone 4, to a 4s, and said she would never leave the iPhone, that is until she started trying my phone more, and she ended up trading the 4s for an S3.  Overall she's much happier with it compared to the iPhone.

The thing that drew me to Android in the first place was the freedom you have with it.  If you don't mind playing around with your phone a little, you can put a custom ROM on it.  When I had my old Acer Liquid E, I really wanted an HTC as I loved Sense, but I couldn't afford a new phone at the time, so I loaded a custom HTC ROM on it, and BAM, I had Sense on my Acer phone.

For BB, and data usage, you honestly probably won't have to worry about going over 500mb a month.  I use my Android quite a bit on data during the day off of wifi, and I seldom go over 500mb, and I have a 6gig plan.  Right now, I've only used 253mb, and the billing cycle ends at the end of the month.  My with on her S3 uses her phone a hell of a lot more than I do, and she's used 705mb so far.

The way it use to work, say you would normally use 100mb a month on an iPhone/Android, ect, the equivalent usage on a BB would be, say 50mb, as they compress their data.

I don't think you made a bad choice at all going with a BB.  My brother in-law runs a BB website, loves BB's and iPhones, and hates Android (though he does always carry a Nexus with him).

Sorry for the long winded reply, but I'm working overtime, and need something to do  :D

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: September 22, 2012, 02:50:50 PM
Android is far from a cheap iOS knock off and I find as many stupid little annoyances in iOS as there are in Android. I like both the OS but the freedom that I have on my S3 to configure how I want my phone to be makes Android the winner in my book, I just wish that I could have that freedom on my iPad sometimes, it would rock!

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: September 22, 2012, 10:42:31 PM
It might not be a cheap knock off, per se, but it is a knock off.  Is it any coincidence that Google's CEO was on Apple's board when iOS was being developed, and less than a year later Google came out with Android?  I don't think so.  Is it also any coincidence that Google has been caught red-handed intentionally pirating copying source code from Oracle Java that forms a core of the functionality of Android?  And now, Oracle and Larry Ellison are about to bend Eric Schmidt and Google over a log for nearly $1B?  Again, I don't think so.

Yes, there is more to tinker with in Fandroid, but that's not the point.  I want a phone that does what I want as easily and seamlessly as possible, and iOS does that for me, while Fandroid doesn't.  The fact there are different versions from different vendors that are often incompatible, often won't accept more recent updates, and so on is one of the consequences of that.  The platform is fractured so badly, that it's almost to a point where the same OS on phones from two different makers can't communicate.  Add the myriad virii and security holes in Fandroid, and you've got a rotten fish, if you ask me. 

That's one of the great beauties of iOS... I have a three year old 3GS, and I just updated to iOS 6; it was seamless, all my apps work great, all the apps that needed updating were done automatically for me in the process, and it works just as well on my old hardware, with no slowdowns, glitches, or issues what so ever.  Fandroid can't touch that.  There's a reason why the iPhone outsold all other Fandroid based phones in the US combined last year; it just works. 

Even more, iOS has progressive layers of functionality built into it; there is the simple and obvious way of doing things, but as you get used to it, and start exploring it, functionality arises that allows more powerful control of the device, but based on the already learned and built in functionality.  From what I've seen of Fandroid, it's like windows in that the more complex stuff has to be done on its own, and doesn't follow intuitively from the simple functions.

All in all, IMHO, iOS is simply better thought out, better implemented, and works better for my needs than Fandroid.  It's that simple.  And, Fandroid is still a knock off.  Say what bad things about Apple you want, and praise Google and Fandroid all you want, but the simple fact is that Apple is still the leading design influence in the technology industry today, in terms of both software and hardware.  If they weren't doing something right, why would so many software companies (Microsoft, Google), and so many hardware companies (Motorola, Samsung, HTC, LG, etc.) be photocopying Apple's designs?  The answer is simple; Apple is the best at what it does.  All the others are pretenders following in Apple's shadow.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 10:49:12 PM by Heinz Doofenshmirtz »
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: September 22, 2012, 11:48:56 PM
Yes, everyone is copying Apple

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #48 on: September 23, 2012, 12:59:21 AM
Im pretty sure you can manage.  You did misunderstand one bit: it WILL choose to connect to what it wants... which is your data plan by default.  You usage = less likely to have a problem though so carry on carry on.

snark: In crippled form you can still make calls and check time but any dumb phone can do that. ;)

Until this time round, I pretty much DID have any dumb phone  :D

For BB, and data usage, you honestly probably won't have to worry about going over 500mb a month.  I use my Android quite a bit on data during the day off of wifi, and I seldom go over 500mb, and I have a 6gig plan.  Right now, I've only used 253mb, and the billing cycle ends at the end of the month.  My with on her S3 uses her phone a hell of a lot more than I do, and she's used 705mb so far.

The way it use to work, say you would normally use 100mb a month on an iPhone/Android, ect, the equivalent usage on a BB would be, say 50mb, as they compress their data.

I don't think you made a bad choice at all going with a BB.  My brother in-law runs a BB website, loves BB's and iPhones, and hates Android (though he does always carry a Nexus with him).

GN, Derek, thanks for the comments. The last phone I had was a Nokia C6 which was more than adequate for my needs, and there was still a lot of that (function wise) that got little use. I think the BB may be a suitable next step for me. I don't use Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and all those other sites, and this is actually the first time I'ven thought "Maybe I ought to set my phone up so I can check emails"  :P :D

To be honest I was thinking (after I had already ordered the BB) ... what extra benefit would I personally get from going for an Android or iOS phone over and above my old C6 ... and to be honest, I couldn't come up with a thing  :think: :think: :think: Then I came up with something ... one thing ... the stargazer app thing where you point the phone at the sky and it tells you what start/constellation/planet you are looking at. That was the one and only thing I could think of that that I might find interesting (all be it for about three minutes  :rofl: ) about upgrading to a smart phone. Sad eh? :D

In fact even now, I'm struggling to come up with something I'd use the phone for on a regular basis that I couldn't do on my C6  :shrug:

us Offline GNandGS

Reply #49 on: September 23, 2012, 04:30:22 PM
One thing new phones do, smart ones especially, is take pretty usable photos.  Once you know "how" to get the best out of a particular phone you might be shocked how good the pics can be.  Easier to share them now too - while the shot is still relevant.

Bad point on iOS is they crippled BlueTooth.  That is a really handy feature for sending someone a pic you just took.  I like my phone but miss that option as it requires both parties to have data plan/connection.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #50 on: September 25, 2012, 05:16:50 PM
Blackberry 9790 landed today, and it feels like I have a phone again instead of some wierd alien gizmo that just happens to make phonecalls too  ::) So far so good, but I'll not get a chance to play properly till tonight

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: September 26, 2012, 01:44:42 AM
I never knew a computer was a copy of a speaker, or a radio... they're so much exactly the same kind of device!   :think:

I guess I should go and try to patent a rectangular box of aluminum, then I can sue anyone and everyone that makes anything using a rectangular box made of aluminum, because they'd all be copying my design!!!   :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Yes, everyone is copying Apple

(Image removed from quote.)

us Offline GNandGS

Reply #52 on: September 26, 2012, 02:56:07 AM
I think the point being made is Apple isn't the innocent victim made out to be nor the creator of all things techie-good.  Innovative?  Absolutely.  But the raw tech isn't theirs other than by contract from vendors.  Keep in mind also that they are claiming others are stealing their designs not just tech so pointing out similar designs in other products is an almost snarky way to illustrate a point.

I like android IF its on a good phone.  The hardware makes a big difference.  Where android gets it right is an os similar to linux that seems to run on a lot of different devices.  Phone, tablet, mini devices, and even PCs.  Very much an enthusiast/hobby friendly setup.  For phones I suspect they saw a gap in the market for lower cost devices needing something more robust than a few java apps or symbian.

All that said, I'm using iphone.  Like it just fine!  I can see some things they did better and some things they didn't.  Their culture sucks though.

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: September 26, 2012, 07:46:43 PM
I never knew a computer was a copy of a speaker, or a radio... they're so much exactly the same kind of device!   :think:

I guess I should go and try to patent a rectangular box of aluminum, then I can sue anyone and everyone that makes anything using a rectangular box made of aluminum, because they'd all be copying my design!!!   :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

You are claiming that everyone is photocopying Appel’s design and software, I am merely pointing out that is not the fact with the pictures you see. Apple did not invent the desktop OS, Xerox did, when Microsoft released Windows Apple threw a tantrum claiming it was stolen goods when the reality is that MS copied a copy. Like Steve Jobs said, we have always been shameless about stealing great ideas. It’s like it’s OK for Apple to steal/copy but nobody else.

You can’t deny the fact that Apple copied ideas and design from others and put them together making the iPhone, they perfected the technology but they did not invent it. It’s like Leatherman is going to go thermo nuclear on Victorinox and the Swisstool, it’s a stolen product!

For me Android is better than iOS and the S3 I have no problem using with one hand, I like the freedom that I have in Android and Windows over Apples OS that basically wraps you in bubble wrap and a helmet keeping you on a leash so you can’t climb the tree and fall down. That might not be a problem for some but I don’t need a nanny.

You will always have issues when a software company license it’s product to hardware makers regarding hardware specs, you see that all the time with cheap PC’s, but at least it gives people that don’t have a lot of money a chance to buy a computer. That is the genius with Apple since they can tailor the hardware to the OS or the other way around. But then again, I can’t use all the features in iOS6 on my iPad 2, I can use all the features in Jelly Bean on my old HTC phone.

Offline tw56

Reply #54 on: September 26, 2012, 07:58:05 PM

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #55 on: September 26, 2012, 08:42:34 PM
That might not be a problem for some but I don’t need a nanny.

I couldn't agree more  :tu:

You will always have issues when a software company license it’s product to hardware makers regarding hardware specs, you see that all the time with cheap PC’s, but at least it gives people that don’t have a lot of money a chance to buy a computer. That is the genius with Apple since they can tailor the hardware to the OS or the other way around.

I think that's one of the biggest benefits Apple has going for it.  Even if you absolutely hate Mac OSX, an Apple PC will run Windows via boot camp better than pretty much any other computer on the market.  I run Windows 7 on my 4 year old iMac, and it runs it better than most computers that I've tried in on in the stores.

gb Offline ryan1835

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • buh
Reply #56 on: September 26, 2012, 08:44:53 PM

How interesting...

in steve job's bio it says how much he loved the design of braun products
I

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #57 on: September 26, 2012, 08:48:23 PM
It also said that through most of his teens and early 20's he didn't bathe, believing that certain herbs kept him from getting smelly.... and yet no one could stand to be in the same room with him.

The Steve may not have been as brilliant as everyone thought he was....  :facepalm:

Def

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
New phone on it's way
Reply #58 on: September 26, 2012, 08:51:09 PM
I'm neither fandroid or crapple fan, but to this day I never experienced I have been "limited" in any way whatsoever using my Iphone S4.. :)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #59 on: September 26, 2012, 08:54:07 PM
1.Politics
2.Religion
3.Apple vs PC?

:think:

It's tempting to add this one to the list.  Lets not loose friends over a couple of computer makers, OK? ;)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%