Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Looking for Keychain Multitools with Locking Tools / Blades

Guest · 15 · 4762

Ozymandias

I love my Leatherman Squirt P4, but I'm using it more than ever now, and the lack of locking on the tools, the blade especially, is driving me nuts!

Pliers, a small blade, flat and phillips drivers are all I need. Right now I'm thinking that separating all these might be my best bet at getting locked tools (one piece counts as locked, right? :-P). But my keychain will be like an anchor!

Right now I'm thinking:

I also looked at the Gerber Curve, whose tools and blade lock, but I've put off by the numerous bad reviews.

Save me here guys, before my keychain drags my pants down! What else is out there?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Looking for Keychain Multitools with Locking Tools / Blades
Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 12:36:51 PM
Welcome to the forum. :cheers:  I have never tried one but I am pretty sure the IDL T10 has locking tools, might suit you.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline kitbeard

Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 03:10:53 PM
I've had a IDL T10 for a few years and they're okay but doesn't compete with something like a Crosscut or Micra in my view.  Although the blade and other tools lock, the locking mechanism can be over-ridden with not too much force.  I used to carry a IDL on my keyring but it's now something of a liability for UK EDC while not offering what I'd regard as a reliable locking mechanism.  Having said, I still use mine around the house and it's not terrible - yet that's all the praise I can muster for it.  I'd suggest that the better option you've mentioned is carrying a separate knife perhaps something like the Ladybug or Byrd equivalent if you want a quality locking knife for a key ring.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 03:12:36 PM
As for blades, Spyderco make some great small locking knives.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 04:42:46 PM
I'd suggest that the better option you've mentioned is carrying a separate knife perhaps something like the Ladybug or Byrd equivalent if you want a quality locking knife for a key ring.

I'd agree with this  :salute: I'm a bit unusual in that I much prefer non-locking knives (I find them much safer) but I want locking drivers where possible, and for me the easiest route is a seperate slipjointed knife alongside another tool

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Ozymandias

Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 04:35:58 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys, very helpful. The IDL tools look worth a shot, at the prices they are. Full sized drivers are very appealing too.

It also occurred to me that I might be okay with non locking if only they were stiffer. My Squirt is very loose, and I have no way of tightening it, but for those tools with torx screw assembly such as Gerber, would tightening them up make the tool movement and release stiffer?

I'd agree with this  :salute: I'm a bit unusual in that I much prefer non-locking knives (I find them much safer)

I'm curious to know why you find them safer... I'm always worried about them folding in onto my fingers...

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 11:20:57 AM
I'd agree with this  :salute: I'm a bit unusual in that I much prefer non-locking knives (I find them much safer)

I'm curious to know why you find them safer... I'm always worried about them folding in onto my fingers...

Forgive me if this sounds patronising, but I just use knives safely so a slippy can't fold on me  :-\ The only time I tend to get a slippy close on me is when I'm been trying to pose a multibladed one (including SAKs) open for forum pics  ::) I have had far more nicks and cuts from locking blades, particularly liner locks and back locks as you have to put your fingers under the path of the blade to release them  :whistle:

Part of it for me is also force of habit. I nearly stabbed myself in the foot with a Victorinox Skipper once. After using it I instictively went to close the blade (without releasing the lock), and pushed the knife out of my hand completely. I was barefoot at the time, and it could have been a bit naughty  :ahhh I very quickly disabled the lock after that

I've been meaning to do a thread for months now on the slippy vs lock philosophy to put across my thoughts on why most slippies are perfectly safe, why some of them are not as safe as others (subject to their actual use) and why locks may or may not make a knife safer dependent on the user and application

If I do not feel that a slippy is suitable for a certain task, I'll either use a fixed blade knife or use the slippy in a specific way to make it safe for the task ... hard to explain further without pics. I don't want to preach that slippies are safer for everyone, far from it, everyone should carry and use what suits them best - but I do wan't to try and dispell the myth that all slippies are dangerous and all locks are safe, which unfortunately seems to be a bit of an inherited view for many knife users

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 01:53:54 AM

Forgive me if this sounds patronising, but I just use knives safely so a slippy can't fold on me  :-\ The only time I tend to get a slippy close on me is when I'm been trying to pose a multibladed one (including SAKs) open for forum pics  ::) I have had far more nicks and cuts from locking blades, particularly liner locks and back locks as you have to put your fingers under the path of the blade to release them  :whistle:

Part of it for me is also force of habit. I nearly stabbed myself in the foot with a Victorinox Skipper once. After using it I instictively went to close the blade (without releasing the lock), and pushed the knife out of my hand completely. I was barefoot at the time, and it could have been a bit naughty  :ahhh I very quickly disabled the lock after that

I've been meaning to do a thread for months now on the slippy vs lock philosophy to put across my thoughts on why most slippies are perfectly safe, why some of them are not as safe as others (subject to their actual use) and why locks may or may not make a knife safer dependent on the user and application

If I do not feel that a slippy is suitable for a certain task, I'll either use a fixed blade knife or use the slippy in a specific way to make it safe for the task ... hard to explain further without pics. I don't want to preach that slippies are safer for everyone, far from it, everyone should carry and use what suits them best - but I do wan't to try and dispell the myth that all slippies are dangerous and all locks are safe, which unfortunately seems to be a bit of an inherited view for many knife users

Very intersting thoughts, I'm not really saying I find locking knives not safe but I completely agree that slippies are suitable for most tasks around, if used properly. Looking for updates from both Ozymandias and 50ft-trad.

Ozymandias

Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 04:38:06 AM
50 ft is right, that I could train myself for safer use of a non locking blade. But I'll still have a preference for locking blades. Plus I still want the other tools to lock!

But it seems like there aren't any tools in the key chain size with locking tools and pliers besides the T10, and I like that less every time I look at it.

I think I'll give the Gerber Dime a whirl - everyone is complaining about how tight the bo version is, so it might suit me just fine  :-P

gb Offline kitbeard

Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 11:12:32 AM
I think you're right to look at the Dime rather than the IDL tool.  I had a look at mine a couple of days ago and I was quickly reminded how fiddly disengaging the lock is on the IDL; you have to pull out another tool to release the lock and this brings your fingers rclose to the blade than I liked.  Alhtough it's not the sharpest blade in the world,  closing it or any other tool on the IDL requires your full attention.

It wouldn't be unreasonable to assume that I might prefer locking blades from my earlier posts to this thread when I've never been someone who really prefers or needs locking blades.  I've got several slipjoints where I'd trust the "lock up" on the open blade way above the lock on the IDL blade. 

I also cracked last night and ordered a Dime for myself and I think it will prove to be a much better tool than the IDL.  I suspect I'll be doing some sort of comparison when they arrive.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 11:36:29 AM
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the Dime chaps. :cheers:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Offline Ozymandias

Reply #11 on: September 29, 2012, 01:37:23 AM
After much faffing around with a dodgy eBay seller, I finally got my Dime this week. It was indeed quite a bit stiffer than my P4, which I liked. I tweaked up the torx screws, and it got even tighter! So much so that opening the tools is pretty hard on my nails. But I don't mind, because using them is easier and safer than my P4.

I'm still going to chase down some cheap one piece or dedicated tools to try out though. I'll post back - probably in another month or so, since most of this stuff comes to me from overseas :-\

I'm also going to post more on my general Dime impressions in a thread in the Gerber forum.

bruisjem

Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 11:25:58 AM
Keychains are available with different features like locking tool which is best for people. You can search on web for keychains to know about various types of keychains designs and price according to it.

us Offline clickstop

Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 05:52:03 AM
Maybe Im too late, but why not the Gerber Curve? Stout, double ground locking blade, and locking drivers. Lovely keychain tool.

Offline Ozymandias

Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, 08:49:29 AM
I did look at the curve, but shied away after reading many reviews noting a poor build quality and weak lock. Also, I really wanted pliers.

Thanks  for the suggestion anyway.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD