Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

OHT owners club!

Fistach · 1006 · 62868

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Re: OHT owners club!
Reply #300 on: July 16, 2018, 07:45:24 AM
I did PM Gohard; with all respect for him custom making them, he is asking a little more than I was hoping to spend on a sheath.

I might have to look at other alternatives

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: the other brands sheaths, I don't have a OHT but I guess it should be similar in size to a MP600,

(Image removed from quote.)

Some options:
Show content

Good stuff, thank you!

Still waiting for my OHT to arrive, been searching around on google, I couldn’t find anything about the dimensions of the OHT.

Does anyone know the; Length, Height and Width of the OHT?

Kind regards,

MMR

-------------------------------------------------
"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us."
- Andrew Ryan

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #301 on: July 16, 2018, 07:59:11 AM
Just a quick measure....

Length: 116mm
Width: 47mm (measured where the lock is)
Thickness: 21mm
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 08:02:58 AM by Syncop8r »

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #302 on: July 16, 2018, 09:54:52 PM
Just a quick measure....

Length: 116mm
Width: 47mm (measured where the lock is)
Thickness: 21mm

Thank you sir!  :cheers:

Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #303 on: July 17, 2018, 08:31:51 PM
Just arrived in the mail today...

...I'm a little disappointed with the engraving to be honest....doesn't look as nice as I had hoped.  :(
Leatherman OHT00001.JPG
* Leatherman OHT00001.JPG (Filesize: 179.39 KB)
Leatherman OHT00002.JPG
* Leatherman OHT00002.JPG (Filesize: 141.21 KB)
Leatherman OHT00003.JPG
* Leatherman OHT00003.JPG (Filesize: 117.35 KB)
Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #304 on: July 17, 2018, 10:05:44 PM
I actually would really like to hear you guys (OHT owners); what your thoughts are on the OHT and some of the criticism it has received.

I (like most other people) watch youtube reviews and read review articles online, and I have gathered a list of common criticism that I could find.

Personally, I had a company supplied Leatherman Kick back when I worked in Building Maintenance (Around 2009-2010), when all the new guys were getting Leatherman Waves, the Kick felt inferior, even though it had all the tools I need in a multitool (I only ever use the pliers, screwdrivers and knife), but comparing it side by side to the Wave, made me feel like I was a Hatchback car at a Supercar meet.

Fast forward to 2015, I was standing in an outdoor store looking at a Charge TTi and seeing all the tools it has, then there I was determined to never have a multitool with just basic tools in it, so I payed 280 Euro for the Charge TTi.

Forward to today (2018), I have carried the Charge TTi as my EDC for the last 3 years, using it literally every day and taking it everywhere with me (Work, Traveling, Hiking, Camping....I even have it on me when I walk the dog)....but to be honest; I am still the same guy who only really use the pliers, screwdrivers and knife.

Saw is too small and will only cut through vegetation the thickness of my thumb, and i always have a folding saw with me every time I go into nature..but anyway..

I decided to give the OHT a try....

1) Again, I only ever use the pliers, screwdrivers and knife in my multi tool (basic tools)
2) I often find myself in a situation where I need to deploy my multi tool with one hand, for instance, while putting something up or taking something down (hold it with one hand and have a tool in the other).
3) I think the spring loaded pliers will be a great benefit, I really wish leatherman would incorporate spring loaded pliers in more of their models, as far as I know the OHT and Wingman are the only ones with spring loaded pliers.
4) Due to local laws and overall usage and needs I don't need a long knife.

Lets use this as a template for sharing your thoughts as well.

Leatherman OHT

Critiques
- Too large / Bulky & Small tool selection (“Juice’s tools in Surge’s frame”, the sliding mechanism takes up all the space for more tools - All for the compromise of the One Handed Operation)
- Heavy
- Expensive (100 Euro) = More expensive than a Rebar, Wave, Super Tool and other Leathermans with more tools in them.
- Bad build quality compared to other Leathermans (Mixed opinions, other say its top quality)
- Molle sheath sucks
- Weak spring in pliers (The mechanics used on the spring-action pliers has break-in period.)
- Knife too small
- Saw too small (only cut small vegetation: branches the size of your thumb, which you might as well break off)
- Flathead screw drivers have too short a reach
- Phillips head is 2D design
- No Pocket clip
- No lanyard ring
- “Silver” version is Grey and not silver
- Bit adaptor not designed for it and doesn’t fit very well. (Ganzo multi tools adaptor fits Phillips head *WeAllJuggleKnives* )
- Lock for sliding mechanism is annoying and useless (too easy to lock up)
- Bottle opener feels out of place, and should have been scissors instead (Scissors are one of the things that are essential for an infantryman in a tool of this kind (the MUT has scissors)))
- Cutting hook is not useful for most people’s usage (Again, keep in mind tool is designed for Military / Law Enforcement and First responders (EMT, Firemen etc.))
- No file
- Smallest flathead screwdriver is brittle and breaks easily.
- Unable to close tools with gloves on (Mixed opinions: others say it is done easily)
- Plier deployment has a bit of a Learning curve (You may be able to flick the pliers open in on shot, out of the box – but chances are it will take a week of fiddling before they find their way down their rails smoothly.)
- Pliers can destroy the inside of your pocket

Praises:
- Spring loaded pliers
- one handed / flick opening fliers
- replaceable cutter inserts
- Everything locks
- Super Durable Black Oxide Coating on tools
- Made In USA (isn’t all leathermans that?)
- Handle show the user the location of specific tools
- Super handy for people using their multi tool constantly or if you are standing on a ladder
- Tough bit of kit!
- OHT is a good option for the soldier looking for a multi-tool that will do the job but if you want a bit more in terms of tools then opt for the MUT

Suggestions for improvements
- Bit adaptor in the bottom
- Make phillips screwdriver compatible with bit kit

A few notes:

Notes about the OHT:
- Designed specifically to be 100% one handed operational “The Leatherman OHT was created to serve a much-needed niche in the multitool market: one-handed use.”(Thats it! …not designed to be anything else or revolutionary in terms of tool selection)
- SpeSmurfpillsed tool: The OHT is described as a heavy-duty multi-tool for tactical users. Primarily designed for Military / Law Enforcement and First responders (EMT, Firemen etc.) -

I'll go first:

Critiques

- Too large / Bulky & Small tool selection (“Juice’s tools in Surge’s frame”, the sliding mechanism takes up all the space for more tools - All for the compromise of the One Handed Operation)

I am not going to disagree with that, but for me that's not an issue.

- Heavy

It is actually surprisingly heavy, more heavy that my Charge TTi

- Expensive (100 Euro) = More expensive than a Rebar, Wave, Super Tool and other Leathermans with more tools in them.

I actually paid 107 Euro for mine, but yes it is on the expensive side. Even though it's a unique leatherman (like the crunch), I think it is too expensive for what it is....also like the Crunch.

- Bad build quality compared to other Leathermans (Mixed opinions, other say its top quality)

I just received mine, so I don't know how it will hold up over time, but I don't think its quality feels inferior out of the box at least.

- Molle sheath sucks

Well yes, leathermans Molle sheaths sucks in general, always have too....but that's not the OHT fault.

Remark: I know the OHT is primarily designed for military and servicemen, but they should really sell it with a belt sheath as well....I don't know of any first responders who carry Molle vests or belts either.

- Weak spring in pliers (The mechanics used on the spring-action pliers has break-in period.)

Again I just received mine, but out of the box I think mine feel fine....I don't see anything wrong with the spring tension.

- Knife too small

Don't know if it is "Too small", but is definitely small, around the size of a small pocket tool knife.

- Saw too small (only cut small vegetation: branches the size of your thumb, which you might as well break off)

I will have to agree, the saw is so small that they might as well not have included it, for me it will likely never see any use.

About the same reach as the bit holder in my Leatherman Charge TTi.....I have not stumbled upon any times when I needed more reach on a flathead screw driver reaching for my multitool. Keep in mind, a multitool is intended as a backup, not as your primary tool

Yes, I wish it was a 3D design, but I will say that in 80-90% of occasions a 2D will do the job just fine.

- No Pocket clip

Correct, but for my that's not a problem.

- No lanyard ring

Also correct, but again, for me that's not a problem

Well it is more like "bare metal" coloured

- Bit adaptor not designed for it and doesn’t fit very well.

Well correct.....But that's not the point of the OHT either.

I will have to use mine more to test that out. Again, I just received mine today.

- Bottle opener feels out of place, and should have been scissors instead (Scissors are one of the things that are essential for an infantryman in a tool of this kind (the MUT has scissors)))

I am not a beer drinker myself, and don't think I have ever used the bottle opener in my charge either. I will agree that, for the primary target group of the OHT (Military, Law Enforcement, First responders), it seems a bit like they just needed to fill the last tool slot with something and didn't really know what.

- Cutting hook is not useful for most people’s usage (Again, keep in mind tool is designed for Military / Law Enforcement and First responders (EMT, Firemen etc.))

Possibly, looks like it would make a nice box opener?

- No file

Correct.

Again, for me: time will have to tell.

- Unable to close tools with gloves on (Mixed opinions: others say it is done easily)

Straight out of the box, it is a bit stiff. I think with a bit of wear they will start to loosen up. Since it is currently summer, my gloves are in the closet somewhere with all my winter clothes, so I will have to test this out at a later time.

- Plier deployment has a bit of a Learning curve (You may be able to flick the pliers open in on shot, out of the box – but chances are it will take a week of fiddling before they find their way down their rails smoothly.)

Yeah, this is true. First off its not as easy as just flicking it, you have to hold it in a certain way to flick it open. But I can also imagine that after a bit of usage they will have a wear pattern on the rails and slide out more easily.

I will have to test that out to be able to answer that.
Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #305 on: July 17, 2018, 10:52:52 PM
My 2c in blue:

Critiques

I like pliers that fill my hand. I find many MTs to be too small.

- Heavy
It's not heavy. Well not for it's size - compare it to a Surge.

Aren't all MTs too expensive?  :think:

Mine seems very well made, perhaps it is just that sliding pliers don't seem as robust.

- Molle sheath sucks
Well yes, leathermans Molle sheaths sucks in general, always have too....but that's not the OHT fault.
Not all LM molle sheaths suck - the XL is better. Did you read those threads I linked?  :pok:
Remark: I know the OHT is primarily designed for military and servicemen, but they should really sell it with a belt sheath as well....I don't know of any first responders who carry Molle vests or belts either.
You can wear a molle sheath on a belt.  :pok:

I haven't noticed a problem - happy with my spring-action pliers.

- Knife too small
Too small for what? I have never needed a bigger knife.

Yes. All the other tools are fine being smaller, except the saw.

Yes they are short but as yet that hasn't been an issue. It wasn't designed for electricians.

It's 2.5D.  ;)  Works fine.

- No Pocket clip
True. Perhaps it's a bit big to clip though.

- No lanyard ring
'Spose.

I prefer the all black anyway.

- Bit adaptor not designed for it and doesn’t fit very well.
Well correct.....But that's not the point of the OHT either.
Agree.... also it can fit on the small flathead if you must.

Mine is neither so far.

I am not a beer drinker myself, and don't think I have ever used the bottle opener in my charge either. I will agree that, for the primary target group of the OHT (Military, Law Enforcement, First responders), it seems a bit like they just needed to fill the last tool slot with something and didn't really know what.
It's also a can opener, very handy for a soldier to have.

I'm yet to properly use mine, we shall see...

- No file
True.

Again, for me: time will have to tell.
As above.

Don't know yet.

You don't have to flick it - you can hold it by the buttons and use gravity.

Use the lock and/or don't wear it in your pocket.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 10:58:03 PM by Syncop8r »

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
OHT owners club!
Reply #306 on: July 21, 2018, 09:16:20 PM
First mod to the OHT:

Delete Satan’s annoying locking thingy of doom!

« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 09:18:27 PM by MMR »
Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #307 on: July 21, 2018, 09:45:52 PM

Out of curiosity; is it normal that the two laws on the pliers are not the same size?

One of mine is like a kilometer wider than the other...

Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #308 on: July 21, 2018, 11:30:53 PM
It's probably more normal that the pliers tips don't quite meet up than are different sizes.

...I'm a little disappointed with the engraving to be honest....doesn't look as nice as I had hoped.  :(
Looks nice to me.  :shrug:
What were you hoping for?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 11:43:07 PM by Syncop8r »

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #309 on: July 22, 2018, 03:08:32 PM
It's probably more normal that the pliers tips don't quite meet up than are different sizes.

Looks nice to me.  :shrug:
What were you hoping for?

I was just expecting more of it, actually looks better in the picture than in real life.

I thought it would stand out a lot more clear, but it has sort of a faded look to it.

As the knife tugs away in the OHT, you don't really see or notice it either, they should give the option of doing the engraving on the handle instead of on the knife blade.

Especially when the knife is as small as it is.
Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

Offline Old man Chris

Reply #310 on: July 24, 2018, 11:49:14 PM
I’ve been a member for two years or so , impulse buy while in an outdoor gear supplier’s place . I haven’t carried it much , probably a shelf queen .

Chris

cs Offline marko14

• No Life Club
Reply #311 on: October 30, 2018, 04:23:47 PM
Bonecrusher and Skyhawk

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

20181027_124218.jpeg
* 20181027_124218.jpeg (Filesize: 154.5 KB)

cs Offline marko14

• No Life Club
Reply #312 on: November 02, 2018, 12:07:03 PM
Bonecrusher and Spartan.

20181102_102541.jpeg
* 20181102_102541.jpeg (Filesize: 219.86 KB)
20181102_102451.jpeg
* 20181102_102451.jpeg (Filesize: 191.2 KB)
20181102_102215.jpeg
* 20181102_102215.jpeg (Filesize: 229.9 KB)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #313 on: November 02, 2018, 01:14:09 PM
Great pics marko :like: :like:

cs Offline marko14

• No Life Club
Reply #314 on: November 02, 2018, 02:33:08 PM
Great pics marko :like: :like:
Thank you  Poncho

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #315 on: November 18, 2018, 01:13:49 PM
Finally found the club, now consider me here assigned,
my OHT has no rub, and the jaws and tips are aligned
 :multi:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #316 on: November 18, 2018, 02:09:46 PM
 :like: :tu:

cs Offline marko14

• No Life Club
Reply #317 on: November 18, 2018, 04:06:55 PM
Finally found the club, now consider me here assigned,
my OHT has no rub, and the jaws and tips are aligned

(Image removed from quote.)
Welcome to the club.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #318 on: November 18, 2018, 04:48:53 PM
Welcome to the club.(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

don't misplace it with that camo!  :ahhh :D
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

cs Offline marko14

• No Life Club
Reply #319 on: November 18, 2018, 04:54:09 PM
Welcome to the club.(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

don't misplace it with that camo!  :ahhh :D
Hahahahahah i won't,cheers.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #320 on: November 24, 2018, 02:51:34 PM
what the WIngman package opener does to plastic clamshell packaging,
the OHT hook cutter does to straps, plastic bands and tough wrapping

My toys:

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #321 on: November 24, 2018, 05:01:18 PM
^+1.
 :iagree: :tu:
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #322 on: November 24, 2018, 06:48:27 PM
Great pics Peacent and marko :like: :like:

cs Offline marko14

• No Life Club
Reply #323 on: November 28, 2018, 10:21:13 PM
Great pics Peacent and marko :like: :like:
Thank you,cheers.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #324 on: December 01, 2018, 01:51:00 PM
all one handed,
but no clip  ??? :dunno:

My toys:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #325 on: December 01, 2018, 11:15:40 PM
I see a clip on the light :whistle: but not on the rest of it :ahhh :ahhh Nice gear and pic, Peacent  :like: :like:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #326 on: December 02, 2018, 04:24:36 PM
I see a clip on the light :whistle: but not on the rest of it :ahhh :ahhh Nice gear and pic, Peacent  :like: :like:

I meant that the OHT boasts being all one handed but it has no clip,  :P thus you lose time and ease of access taking it out of the pouch to use it, which kind of defeats the purpose of its "quick one-handedness" :pok:
My toys:

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #327 on: December 02, 2018, 05:24:14 PM
Kev is doing something very generous and kind over in the General Tools board with his OHT Christmas GAW. Just wanted to say so without actually entering the GAW by posting there.

Mighty nice of you, Kev!

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #328 on: December 03, 2018, 12:31:30 AM
I disassembled a vacuum today, to gather parts for a home unit, and the OHT was handy to me.  The One hand function helped me several times, as the other hand was holding a piece or assembly while I had to change from Phillips to straight blade, then deploy pliers.

I have not had to use my OHT lately, but when grabbed it performed flawlessly. 

Sorry, no picture(s),camera AWOL.

Hope yours is as good!

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #329 on: December 03, 2018, 09:57:24 PM
As mentioned in previous post, the OHT performed well for me yesterday, and later that day I found the detail sheet for Military MTs and was very surprised  :facepalm: to learn the blade on the OHT is 154CM steel.

Is this news to any other OHT owners, or am I the only one who missed that detail? :oops:

Mine was purchased as a impulse buy when found deeply discounted as a close out item. 

Gaining some fondness to the OHT, mine is Black. :like:

Hope yours is as good!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%