Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My first SOG.... a nifty Powerassist!

us Offline Accujohn

• No Life Club
on: September 27, 2012, 03:15:31 AM
I'm pretty sure I've made fun of this tool despite never holding one. This would be my first SOG and I love it. The pliers are the strongest I've used on a mt.... As has been stated many times before. I guess I used to make fun of the whole assisted thing on a multitool. That's kinda like putting a can opener on a switchblade. But, because of the quality and cool factor, I think it's fun to play with. Love the one handed opening smoothness of the pliers. Smooth like a balisong! The file is my only gripe... It's awful. But I can live with that:)
DSCN5917.jpg
* DSCN5917.jpg (Filesize: 78.11 KB)
DSCN5920.jpg
* DSCN5920.jpg (Filesize: 72.82 KB)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 03:57:13 AM by Accujohn »

us Offline TMFKAMJ

• Uh... I'm back to look around
Re: My first SOG.... a nifty Powerassist!
Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 04:54:34 AM
cool!  :) i cut two pennies in half at once with mine  8) dont try that with a LM. i love the sog pliers, they still worked smooth after i dropped them into dirt on a job, i still took it apart and cleaned it after though :D
hi

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 01:28:23 PM
Just remember that the neat thing about SOG is that you don't have to live with that awful file- you can swap it out in just a few minutes with one of SOG's other tools.  Given that it's a full length tool you have the option of adding an extra blade, saw, rescue cutter, scissors or a different file.  If I were you I'd go with the scissors or rescue cutter as you already have two blades and I find the saws and files to be a bit too stubby to really be useful on SOG tools.  They are shorter than other tools in it's size as they are meant to be interchangeable with all the SOG tools like the Pocket Power Plier, (discontinued) Power Plier, Power Lock, (discontinued) Switch Plier, Power Lock 2.0 and Para Tool.

You can see the list of options here:
http://sogknives.com/store/components.html

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 06:38:32 PM
Yes, the SOG PowerAssist has that fiddle factor going for it.

I tried, but failed, to find a good use for the V-Cutter.  It didn't work well for opening plastic blister packs, so I replaced the V-Cutter with an awl.  A rivet on the V-Cutter fought with the adjacent can opener when closing either one, but there is no interference between the awl and can opener.

I bought replacement SOG (Harley Davidson) blades, files, and other implements for under $1 each from Smoky Mountain Knife Works.   The file they sell is like the files supplied with older SOG tools -- more aggressive and has a rounded end instead of a flat screwdriver end.

The files inside the two Paladin PT-510 PowerPlays I bought recently are wimpy and the "saw" teeth on the edge of those files aren't fully formed.   The file on my PowerAssist has a flat screwdriver tip and looks decently made.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 06:48:03 PM
I really like my sogs and love to change tools around but as said the files not good and the V-cutter just never did it for me, the scissors are ok and mine oddly work better after i took them out of my powerlock to try on my ppp and then fitted them back  :think: oh well worked out ok in the end  :D these MT's had great fiddle factor so you can custom your tool load , enjoy  :tu:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 11:34:54 PM
Just remember that the neat thing about SOG is that you don't have to live with that awful file- you can swap it out in just a few minutes with one of SOG's other tools.

Def

And SMKW has them on sale for only $1 a tool. (Harley Davidson branded but they work). I just got a nice batch of parts via Rex today, my Paratool looks awesome. :ahhh

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 11:38:53 PM
I love the Toolclip and PT-510 chassis for pocket tools. I found the Powerlock a little too much for my modest sized hands.

I have seen and played with a Powerassist that Badwolf brough to one of the UK Meets, and it was a little ... volatile  :whistle: The thing was practically an auto, and a couple of times the blade shot out just by releasing the lock without any additional encouragement from me.

How's yours in that respect?

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Accujohn

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 01:20:19 AM
The locks are a little funny, as is the release. If the slide lock is off, you can actually open the blade about a quarter inch by pushing on that release in the closed position. The blade does not open enough to release the spring but close. I could see that release snagging on something and partially opening the blade. That release should only do something if the blade is fully open, as that's it's stated purpose. So, that's a design flaw and should be improved. As it is, I would only carry in it's sheath. Don't get me wrong, except for that, the cruddy file and the annoying can opener/vcut fit, I still love it. I carry a better file on another tool, so maybe a whimpy one is a nice option??? Who knows. The tool definitely requires careful handling and respect.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 01:52:14 AM
I'm too toying with the idea of a Power Assist - BUT, I hear lateral movement is a major problem on the assisted tools - I cannot abide lateral movement. Hate it...HATE IT!!  :rant:

So.............(takes a long intake of breath)..........Is it as bad as I hear??

Tosh
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 02:03:31 AM by tosh »
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 01:55:04 AM
Just remember that the neat thing about SOG is that you don't have to live with that awful file- you can swap it out in just a few minutes with one of SOG's other tools.

Def

And SMKW has them on sale for only $1 a tool. (Harley Davidson branded but they work). I just got a nice batch of parts via Rex today, my Paratool looks awesome. :ahhh

Wow thats a deal!  Do they have all the tools?
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 01:59:50 AM

Def

No, just some but Rex/Sazabi has some extras too so he could help you out with those.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,39357.msg634893.html#msg634893

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #11 on: September 28, 2012, 03:35:53 AM

Def

They only had files, serrated blades, plain edge blades, saws, and Phillips.  I only have maybe one or two of each left.  PM me, as I have some other tools, too, albeit still in the tool. :p

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #12 on: September 28, 2012, 02:56:37 PM

I was going to buy a batch of these SOG tool components from SMKW as spares because they were so cheap, but my interest rapidly evaporated when they told me I had to pay over $100 shipping (UPS express to Oz) for $29.00 worth of tools !  They refused to consider using any cheaper shipping method even when I asked nicely  :(
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 03:00:38 PM by gregozedobe »
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #13 on: September 28, 2012, 10:36:11 PM

I was going to buy a batch of these SOG tool components from SMKW as spares because they were so cheap, but my interest rapidly evaporated when they told me I had to pay over $100 shipping (UPS express to Oz) for $29.00 worth of tools !  They refused to consider using any cheaper shipping method even when I asked nicely  :(

I could've picked them up for you and forwarded them had I known.  I still can, if you'd like.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #14 on: September 29, 2012, 01:09:51 PM
I could've picked them up for you and forwarded them had I known.  I still can, if you'd like.

That's a very kind offer, but I don't want to put you to any trouble.  If you were going there anyway for your own reasons then that would be great.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #15 on: September 29, 2012, 03:13:56 PM

That's a very kind offer, but I don't want to put you to any trouble.  If you were going there anyway for your own reasons then that would be great.

I won't be swinging back up there for a while, but I can always get them delivered to my home, and then forwarded.  Just have to take advantage of shipping specials to try to keep shipping at or below what it would cost in taxes (had I purchased them in-store). :)

gb Offline badwolf

• No Life Club
  • my best friends a dog
Reply #16 on: October 31, 2012, 10:15:02 PM
I love the Toolclip and PT-510 chassis for pocket tools. I found the Powerlock a little too much for my modest sized hands.

I have seen and played with a Powerassist that Badwolf brough to one of the UK Meets, and it was a little ... volatile  :whistle: The thing was practically an auto, and a couple of times the blade shot out just by releasing the lock without any additional encouragement from me.

How's yours in that respect?
That tool is here never did get round to sending it back :-[ robbed it for components to use in my Para tool and PPP :tu:
"I like me, my wife likes me"

JC PT&A

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44