Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Where did your user name come from?

Offline Fishnuts2

Re: Where did your user name come from?
Reply #60 on: September 29, 2012, 01:41:35 AM
My user name is from my love of fishing and collecting old fishing reels from ebay.  There was a user named Fishnuts already according to their records so I just added the 2 and it went through.  Been using it for a lot of things since. :D :D

Wayne
W

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #61 on: September 29, 2012, 06:25:49 AM
Back when I first signed up as a member, my son's favorite show was Phineas & Ferb; there's a character on the show who is a bumbling mad-scientist, named Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz.  As a kid, I was nerdy and clumsy, good at science and math, and wanted to be a mad-scientist. 

Now that I'm an adult,  :whistle:  I have an advanced degree, have published some research, work as a college professor, and there's a part of me that still wants to be a mad-scientist!  So I chose my screen name because when I was in graduate school and working as a researcher, he's the character I resembled most.  Eventually, when I get old enough, and have done enough research, I'll probably end up being more like Prof. Farnsworth, on Futurama.   :rofl:
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

gr Offline MARIOS7319

• Happiness depends upon ourselves. Aristotle
Reply #62 on: September 29, 2012, 04:37:11 PM
Mine is very simple.
My name and my birth year reverse.
I have use it for a long time to many forums.

So, I just couldn't resist........ You were born in 9137  :think:   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I know, you reversed the 19 and the 73. Just had to do that.

I imagine that someone will mention it.  :D

Nope.... he's a time traveller!  :D

Def

Who knows, maybe i am a time traveller, in search for rare Swiss knives! ::)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 04:41:40 PM by MARIOS7319 »

us Offline Yalius

Reply #63 on: September 29, 2012, 07:50:14 PM
Mine came from my honeymoon. My wife is from Woleai, an island in Micronesia. When we went there to get married and vacation, there was a two-year-old girl there who had never seen a white guy before, and she thought I was a ghost, which in Woleaian is "yalius." That was what she called me whenever she talked about me to my wife. That was way too cool of a nickname to overlook.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #64 on: September 29, 2012, 08:11:54 PM
I'd like to use an unusual name, such as Aplysia Californica, Sollucitomnibus, AeenAristeuein, Syllogosmegalosdenyparcheiallos, Riodion Romanovic Raschkolnikov and such but in fact I have always been myself, Konstantinos Kokkolis.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #65 on: September 29, 2012, 08:20:18 PM
Mine came from my honeymoon. My wife is from Woleai, an island in Micronesia. When we went there to get married and vacation, there was a two-year-old girl there who had never seen a white guy before, and she thought I was a ghost, which in Woleaian is "yalius." That was what she called me whenever she talked about me to my wife. That was way too cool of a nickname to overlook.
that is a very cool story. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline stealth007s

• I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #66 on: September 29, 2012, 08:50:47 PM
I'd like to use an unusual name, such as Aplysia Californica, Sollucitomnibus, AeenAristeuein, Syllogosmegalosdenyparcheiallos, Riodion Romanovic Raschkolnikov and such but in fact I have always been myself, Konstantinos Kokkolis.

Just ate at a Greek restaurant near where I live. Y'all have some great food there. Pretty cool username as well.

Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #67 on: September 29, 2012, 09:30:03 PM
Well my name is Duncan and a lot of friends and family call me Dunc , pronounced Dunk but must be spelled Dunc  ;) This has earned me the nickname of Buscuit , i.e to Dunc a buscuit in a cup of tea  ::)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #68 on: September 29, 2012, 09:37:58 PM
I never thought of that one!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline 82brutus

Reply #69 on: September 30, 2012, 12:37:38 AM
A long time ago my nickname was "hulk" because towards the end of my reps if it was getting difficult I would start getting angry at the weights and occasionally let slip a curse word or two.  I usually got another rep or two out that way.

Now my nickname is a combination of one someone gave me at the gym a while ago (brutus) and the Shakespearean "et tu brute'" from Julius Caesar.

Sent from my MB860
“We shall neither fail nor falter; we shall not weaken or tire...give us the tools and we will finish the job.” - Winston Churchill

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #70 on: September 30, 2012, 01:21:14 AM
Better that than changing from Hulk to Bill Bixby!

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #71 on: September 30, 2012, 01:53:49 AM
I got it when I was in the military after watching Starship Troopers at the fire station when I where on watch. The guys kept yelling MEDIC for several weeks after they saw the movie for no apparent reason whenever I was around. So one day I was going to chat on IRC and needed a nick and the first thing that popped up in my head was Medic, kept using it ever since but as the internet got bigger Medic was harder and harder to use, so I added the year I was born to it.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #72 on: September 30, 2012, 06:33:24 PM
Type of British canal boat. 50ft narrowboat with traditional stern

Originally they were built in an open format for carrying cargo - the stone for the UK Houses of Parliament would have originally shipped in something similar (albeit horse drawn) from North Anston (a few miles from me) via canal and river all the way down to London - but these days they're built with cabins, an engine room, and fitted out as leisure craft or liveaboards

I have always wondered what your name was from.   :tu:

Mine was a funny journey that Allan helped with a ton.  First, I signed on as Gadgetguy35, the name that is still my login, and is my username on EDCF.  But soon after joining I was shown that Gadgetguy was already here.  So I asked if a Mod could change my name and AHB volunteered.  I went with Artemis, because at the time I was reading a lot of forgotten realms and a favorite character is Artemis Entreri, a human assassin.  Someone then reminded me that Artemis is a Greek Goddess, goddess of the hunt and of childbirth.  I was embarassed that I forgot that(I love greek mythology) so I decided on my highschool football nickname.  My last name is Morris and my Varsity head coach thought it was awesome so he started calling me Mercury and it stuck

It's been my nickname for years, I use Merc on other forums and I have a few friends that call me Merc.

us Offline stealth007s

Reply #73 on: September 30, 2012, 10:47:12 PM
Such cool stories about how our usernames came to life. Looking forward to seeing so many more!¡!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Terry

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #74 on: September 30, 2012, 10:51:37 PM
I always thought your username came from your exceptional abilities when playing Hide & Seek.

Def

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #75 on: September 30, 2012, 11:32:13 PM
Such cool stories about how our usernames came to life. Looking forward to seeing so many more!¡!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Great thread ideas like this keep the off duty side of the forum going, nice one!

us Offline Caress of Steel

Reply #76 on: October 01, 2012, 08:45:11 AM
My user name came from the title of 1975 studio album by the Canadian rock band Rush.  Though not my favorite album of theirs, they are my favorite rock band.  The idea of using that album name came from the thought of holding a favorite knife/multi-tool in hand as if caressing it.  I was originally using first initial/last name but decided to do something a little more creative so I changed user names on this and several other forums.

Haven't been on here in a while but have enjoyed spending a few hours the past few nights reading up on things.  Been in the process of relocating and getting started in a new job since the first of the year and that means funds for more knives/multi-tools. This is a very interesting forum as always!

John
Details are everything...much more important than your vague assurances!

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #77 on: October 01, 2012, 05:18:47 PM
Rush rocks!!!!!!

Sent from my myphone using Crapatalk

wales Online magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #78 on: October 01, 2012, 06:30:31 PM
Rush rocks!!!!!!

Sent from my myphone using Crapatalk

Yes they do!

Grace under pressure and subdivisions kick ass  :salute:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #79 on: October 01, 2012, 08:47:43 PM
One night to believe in the freedom of music.....

:D

Def

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #80 on: October 02, 2012, 05:13:11 PM
Mine is a mystery  :P :D

Mat :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #81 on: October 02, 2012, 05:53:34 PM
I thought I had told the story before, but if not...

On Chincoteague Island, they have an annual event where they swim the Mares and foals from Assateague Island and pen the foals away from the mares.  Then the volunteer fire dept has an auction of some of the foals to raise funds.  It has the side benefit of keeping the wild (Feral) horse population under control on the island.  We've been to the auction a few times and actually bought 2 foals one year.

Chincoteague is semi famous from the book and movie:

Misty of Chincoteague:

There is an ice cream place on Chincoteague, which is a one of a kind place. Mr. Whippy. During Pony penning, they send out the ice cream truck:

That is the origin of my username.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #82 on: October 02, 2012, 06:04:03 PM
 :rofl: I allways thought Mr whippy refered to something seriously Kinky...  :facepalm:
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #83 on: October 02, 2012, 06:13:23 PM
Mr. Whippy Ice cream is quite common in my neck of the woods , brings back fond memories

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #84 on: October 03, 2012, 03:47:31 AM
At a church event many years ago, me and some friends were directing the cars and doing the parking and we were given 2-way radios to communicate.  So, someone decided we needed "handles."  A girl decided mine would be Gustopher, named after her dog.  Don't ask me why  :think: Well, that stuck as a nickname for awhile.

About a year later, I bought a black pickup truck with tinted windows.  A different girl said I looked like the mob when I rolled up in that thing (Mafia...pickup truck? Yet again, don't ask me why  :think:).  So, my friends started calling my truck Gustopher's Mob.

This was about the same time I discovered the wonderful world of email and forums, and it was the first thing that came to mind when trying to come up with addresses and user names.

Now, I'm at a different church, most of those friends have moved away and I sold my truck in 2004.  No one knows what it means, but the name is still here.

Incredibly odd & stupid, but there it is  ::)
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #85 on: October 03, 2012, 12:16:41 PM
Incredibly odd & stupid, but there it is  ::)

I think that sums up life at it's best, doesn't it?  :D

Def

us Offline bleedingthumb

• I EDC Band-aids.
Reply #86 on: October 05, 2012, 04:19:49 AM
Ok, so this is only my second post on the forum, so most of you probably weren't wondering yet, but...
the origin of my username is my uncontrollable habit of figeting/playing with whatever object is in my hands...even if it's a knife. Specifically, one handed opening and closing of a linerlock, rapidly, absentmindly, and without looking at it or thinking about what I'm doing...

I sometimes live up to my name.  :ahhh

us Offline stealth007s

Reply #87 on: October 05, 2012, 05:33:46 AM
Ok, so this is only my second post on the forum, so most of you probably weren't wondering yet, but...
the origin of my username is my uncontrollable habit of figeting/playing with whatever object is in my hands...even if it's a knife. Specifically, one handed opening and closing of a linerlock, rapidly, absentmindly, and without looking at it or thinking about what I'm doing...

I sometimes live up to my name.  :ahhh

A habit that I would assume most of us here have  :think:  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Welcome to MT.O!¡!

Terry

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #88 on: October 05, 2012, 10:56:34 AM
Indeed- I had to stop carrying a Victorinox MiniChamp on my keys because of this!

I used to have a habit of playing with the knife while it was in my pocket.  One day I was flicking out the cuticle pusher in my pocket absentmindedly while dealing with a customer, but for some reason it felt a little odd.  Without thinking I decided to feel around so I could id the tool I'd just pulled out.

It turned out to be the blade and I sliced open the pad of my thumb.  Since I was still dealing with a customer I had to remain completely indifferent to the severed thumb and the fact that my pocket was filling with blood!

Def

us Offline stealth007s

Reply #89 on: October 05, 2012, 08:27:58 PM
Indeed- I had to stop carrying a Victorinox MiniChamp on my keys because of this!

I used to have a habit of playing with the knife while it was in my pocket.  One day I was flicking out the cuticle pusher in my pocket absentmindedly while dealing with a customer, but for some reason it felt a little odd.  Without thinking I decided to feel around so I could id the tool I'd just pulled out.

It turned out to be the blade and I sliced open the pad of my thumb.  Since I was still dealing with a customer I had to remain completely indifferent to the severed thumb and the fact that my pocket was filling with blood!

Def

Man, what a story!¡! Anyone else fall victim to their MT or knife like this? I can't recall any but I do have CRS  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Terry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24