Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Original Schrade Tough Tool - pic heavy!

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Original Schrade Tough Tool - pic heavy!
on: September 29, 2012, 12:09:52 AM
Thanks to mashguy4077, I added this to my collection last week.  It was for all intents and purposes new, complete with the original box, leather sheath, and instruction pamphlet for using the locks.  A search of the Multitool Encyclopedia shows that this is the first variant of the ST1.  It has a plier head that is made up of six different pieces riveted together.  This ain't no Taylor POS!  It's a hefty, solid tool that, though a bit wide when using the tools, feels pretty good in the hand.  My boss has one of these, a later variation judging from the tool selection and plier head, still made in the USA, and he carries it every day.  It hasn't let him down.  Overall it's a rather unusual bit of kit, but very cool and a nice addition to the family.  :tu:

The sheath is well made, heavy duty leather with a snap closure.  Vertical carry only.

It's quite a long tool when open, 7"!

Those rivets aren't just for show.... The markings indicate an early production tool.

Large and small flathead, serrated sheepsfoot, hook shaped blade, ruler/hook disgorger

plain-edged sheepsfoot blade, combo clip point, flattened Phillips, 3-sided file.  forgot to open the can opener for this pic.....

There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Original Schrade Tough Tool - pic heavy!
Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 04:30:10 PM
You know, I occasionally get phone calls from people who have lost or broken a multitool and want some help replacing it.  I would say that at least eight out of ten phone calls I get are for the old Schrade Tough Tool, and almost all of them are very disappointed to hear that the company has gone out of business, the rights being bought up and the whole mess being made in China with extremely poor quality.

In fact, my father is one of them.  He still has his old Tough Tool.  The blade tip is broken off and it's dirty and caked with who knows what kind of crap he's been into while working on his house, boats, ATV's or while hunting or fishing.  His "lanyard" is a string he cut off something and tied to the tool at some point.  I gave him a brand new Victorinox Spirit and I'll tell you, it's probably never been used.  It's too nice for him.  He finally retired the ST1 when I sent him a Power Assist, which he loved, but lost while fishing, so I need to get him another one.

While the ST1 may not have been the best tool of it's time, it was certainly popular and the folks that bought them are pretty loyal to them.  Personally I think that no collection is complete without at least one old USA made ST1.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 04:44:40 AM
Def summed it up. I have seen a couple people use these ST1 tools and they have used them for years as there primary knife and tool in demanding trades. One guy's tool didn't even lock any more but he still used it daily.
Compared to the competition, although odd, it has some "innovations" like the outside opening tools and a laminated six piece plier head. It was a formidable companion for edc.

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 04:46:27 AM
Nice score Jerseydevil

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 09:29:57 AM
Nice score JD. I avoided the Schrade Tough Tool for many years as I thought it was one of the most ugly tools I'd ever seen. I did not really understand some peoples affection towards it. That is until I got my hands on one this summer. Then I understood. There is a quality in this tool that is sadly lacking in some other tools. It may be ugly and not as convenient to use the component tools. But there some thing about it that draws loyality for its users.   :)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 04:10:12 AM
One guy's tool didn't even lock any more but he still used it daily.

My boss' ST1 is the same way.  I actually offered him one of my surplus MP600s, which he tried for a few days and went back to the Schrade because he's just so used to it.  This one isn't going to be in the EDC rotation, but I have carried it a time or two.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 12:49:49 PM
I carried the Craftsman version of this tool for a while.  The biggest problem with it was the handle shape when using a blade.  Just really bulky.  The bit driver (on the Craftsman version) was awesome but woe to anyone who loses a bit!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 03:09:18 PM
Nice score tom  :salute:

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 04:01:32 PM
  The biggest problem with it was the handle shape when using a blade.  Just really bulky. 

I agree with that 100%.  It's so wide!  Overall though it is a neat tool, and it has seen a bit of use here and there when I'm in the mood to use something different.  My boss is still using his every day, it survived being run over by an ambulance the other day with no ill effects!  Don't ask.....  ::)

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 03:10:36 AM
Errr...
I recently bought one of these from a fellow member on here - I too think it's great.

But whilst it looks exactly like yours in the pic' even the sheath is identical, the plier head on mine looks to be one piece!!

You're making me nervous.

I think I'll check out the Multitool Encyclopedia to try and date mine... :ahhh
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 03:19:05 AM by tosh »
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: December 09, 2012, 03:17:38 AM
Tosh, is the plier head marked USA?  If so, you're fine.  :tu:  Like I said, my boss has one of these with the one piece pliers.  The one I have is a first variation, but there were others that are US made.  The tool arrangement changes a bit too between the versions.

http://wiki.multitool.org/tiki-index.php?page=ST1+Tough+Tool+variations

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #11 on: December 09, 2012, 04:20:45 AM
Errr...
I recently bought one of these from a fellow member on here - I too think it's great.

But whilst it looks exactly like yours in the pic' even the sheath is identical, the plier head on mine looks to be one piece!!

You're making me nervous.

I think I'll check out the Multitool Encyclopedia to try and date mine... :ahhh

AFAIK, the Schrade Tough Tool ST1 has five generations, including the latest Taylor Cutlery "Schrade" model.  The pliers heads became progressively simpler as time progressed, though I'm uncertain as to if it'd affect performance, at least for the four US-made generations.  We all know about the bendable fifth generation, though, thanks to SHOT show.  :whistle:

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #12 on: December 09, 2012, 07:52:49 AM
Yep the US made ones are quality bits of kit  :tu: :tu:.
I tried my one as a user but really struggled with the size/bulk of it  :think: :think: , if my hands were X3 their current size I reckon the old Tough Tool might be OK for me  :think: :D.

As one for your collection it is a must have  :tu: :tu:

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: December 09, 2012, 03:35:18 PM
This one is definitely a classic work horse model.  There must have been a hell of a sale on these about 20 years ago because everyone either has one or knows someone who has one, and I would say that you see a lot more people still using these on a daily basis than any other model of that vintage.  It reminds me of the old Chev pickup trucks.  All the contractors and guys who actually work for a living have one.  Few can remember the day they bought it, not too many can tell you much about the truck itself, but they know they'd be lost without it. 

The Tough (to open!) Tool is like that- guys have had them so long they can pull the right tool out blindfolded and they are pretty well lost when they don't have it. 

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #14 on: December 09, 2012, 06:01:38 PM
This one is definitely a classic work horse model.  There must have been a hell of a sale on these about 20 years ago because everyone either has one or knows someone who has one, and I would say that you see a lot more people still using these on a daily basis than any other model of that vintage.  It reminds me of the old Chev pickup trucks.  All the contractors and guys who actually work for a living have one.  Few can remember the day they bought it, not too many can tell you much about the truck itself, but they know they'd be lost without it. 

The Tough (to open!) Tool is like that- guys have had them so long they can pull the right tool out blindfolded and they are pretty well lost when they don't have it. 

Def

That sounds right to me. I don't see people carrying the original super tool or power pier but this schrade sees a lot of action for its age

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #15 on: May 19, 2013, 12:55:00 PM
Has anyone noticed a different clip point combo blade on some ST1's ?  Most seem to have fairly fine serrations, but the Series 1 example listed below has very, very fine serrations which seems different to most of my ST1's.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCHRADE-FOLDING-KNIFE-ST1-MULTI-TOOL-UNUSED-LEATHER-SHEATH-HARD-TO-FIND-/281102550240?pt=Collectible_Knives&hash=item41730484e0
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #16 on: May 20, 2013, 04:51:39 PM
Those serrations are very odd  ??? look tricky too sharpen too  :think: :think:

In the interest of long term reference I took a couple screen shots

They remind me of the serrations found on some kitchen scissors we have  :think:

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #17 on: May 20, 2013, 07:30:42 PM
In the interest of long term reference I took a couple screen shots

Good idea  :tu:
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline David

Reply #18 on: May 20, 2013, 10:53:59 PM
I need to go have a look at mine and see what's going on there.    :)
Hold Fast

us Offline David

Reply #19 on: May 20, 2013, 11:34:42 PM
It  seems I have one of each type of serrations on my ST1 v1. Both my ST1 v2 are the same with the larger serrations.     :)
ST1v1 005.JPG
* ST1v1 005.JPG (Filesize: 82.07 KB)
Hold Fast

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: May 21, 2013, 02:15:26 AM
Interesting Mat, I took a look at my first variation tool.  It has the small serrations like you show in the pic, but with a different blade next to the clip point!  :think:  Mine has the hook blade in the opposite handle, and the sheepsfoot next to the clip point.  I'll try to get a pic that doesn't suck at some point.....

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Reply #21 on: July 27, 2013, 04:57:34 PM
I have 2 of the US made ones. Good tool, I like mine.
Last one came to me for $2.

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #22 on: July 27, 2013, 05:31:01 PM
I have 2 of the US made ones. Good tool, I like mine.
Last one came to me for $2.

Unless it was totally u/s that was a great bargain !

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #23 on: July 30, 2013, 08:16:03 PM
With advertisements like this one, it's no wonder they sold a lot of tools.  What the smurf........?  I'm now a junior member?  How the smurf did that happen?

schrade.jpg
* schrade.jpg (Filesize: 59.78 KB)
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #24 on: July 30, 2013, 08:26:14 PM
Good going, Junior. :cheers:

:D

And a nice pic. :tu:

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #25 on: July 30, 2013, 08:43:53 PM
This is the problem with this site.  15 minutes ago I did not want this tool, or would have even checked it out,  but now,  I am screwed and want one  :facepalm:

oh well, this is a joy and this digital family has treated me well, helped me learn,  and ensured there is not too much money in my pockets!  :cheers:
If I can help, let me know 

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: July 30, 2013, 09:24:04 PM
Strange isn't it that the old obsolete MT's are somehow more interesting than most of the common MT's that are readily available. When you consider the Schrades, Bucktools, Colemans to name but a few. None of them use exotic alloys, and most are fiddly to use......but there is just 'something' that makes you grin when you get hold of a real McCoy. I don't know what it is, but I love 'em.
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: July 30, 2013, 10:33:31 PM
This is the problem with this site.  15 minutes ago I did not want this tool, or would have even checked it out,  but now,  I am screwed and want one  :facepalm:

oh well, this is a joy and this digital family has treated me well, helped me learn,  and ensured there is not too much money in my pockets!  :cheers:

Make sure you grab a US made one.  Schrade went out of business a few years ago and the name, patents and designs were bought up by an evil organization called Taylor Cutlery that now makes them out of the cheapest pot metal they can find in the darkest recesses of China and they are horrible.  Seriously, I know I'm well known for clowning around, but new Schrade stuff is smurf.  In fact, I'd rather EDC a handful of smurf than a new Tough Tool.  At least smurf is useful.

Def

Sent from the place I sent it from

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #28 on: July 31, 2013, 12:32:33 AM
Make sure you grab a US made one.  Schrade went out of business a few years ago and the name, patents and designs were bought up by an evil organization called Taylor Cutlery that now makes them out of the cheapest pot metal they can find in the darkest recesses of China and they are horrible.  Seriously, I know I'm well known for clowning around, but new Schrade stuff is smurf.  In fact, I'd rather EDC a handful of smurf than a new Tough Tool.  At least smurf is useful.

Def

Def,

you are being too kind and charitable to Taylor cutlery  :rofl:

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: July 31, 2013, 01:46:30 AM
 :think:  I sense a bit of dislike for Taylor there, Def.....  ::)  Nice to see a bit of life in this thread.  I think tomorrow the Tough Tool in the OP will take a trip to work.  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%