Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

recomend me a leatherman

Offline boneskid1

recomend me a leatherman
on: September 29, 2012, 07:26:27 PM
Well I need a recommendation for a leather man best suited for my job.
At work I need 3 things if possible a standard Philips and flat head and I also need a 10 size socket.
I have already considered getting the piranha because of the size and tools it has.

Thanks,
Boneskid1

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Re: recomend me a leatherman
Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 08:58:12 PM
first of all, welcome to the forum, Boneskid!  :cheers:

I'm sure you'll receive a wide range of responses to this post; everyone has their own personal favorite(s).  from your brief description, I'd say the Rebar might be a good choice.  I think OPMTs like the Piranha are better suited as a backup tool, to be used alongside a pliers-based MT.  but again, that's just my personal preference.

you might want to check out Leatherman's comparison feature on their site; it allows you to compare up to 4 tools and their features side-by-side.  http://www.leatherman.com/compare/

hope this helps!  :)

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 09:39:27 PM
I'll kick off and recommend a Wave , its  Leathermans most popular tool and one I consider the best alround package , get the bit kit and bit extension bar to go with it.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 11:03:52 PM
I'll kick off and recommend a Wave , its  Leathermans most popular tool and one I consider the best alround package , get the bit kit and bit extension bar to go with it.

Big+1 on that!

Other options might inclued a Skelitool,as it too has the bit driver option.Even older LMs coupled with a Universal Tool Adoptor should be considered
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gb Offline Jamie_M

Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 11:09:27 PM
I agree with the Wave as a good all-round tool, should be able to handle anything you need it to.

Offline boneskid1

Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 02:07:12 AM
out of the 2 recommended i like the skeletool more than the wave and i have no need for the small bit driver, but the only thing i am lacking is a 10mm socket.

Also is the charge al a decent multitool?

Thanks,
Boneskid1

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 02:45:35 AM
out of the 2 recommended i like the skeletool more than the wave and i have no need for the small bit driver, but the only thing i am lacking is a 10mm socket.

Thanks,
Boneskid1

the Charge AL is a fancier version of the Wave; it has aluminum handle scales and a 154CM main blade.  the Charge TTi is the premium model of the line with titanium handle scales and a S30V main blade.

for what it's worth, I love my Skeletool CX; you can't go wrong with that one if you ask me.  ;)

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 07:21:16 AM
WAVE

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 08:30:22 AM

Thanks,
Boneskid1

If you don't like the Wave then I wouldn't bother with the Charge series , like Breezy said they are just a fancier version and offer more or less the same package.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 06:40:25 PM
I would suggest the Wave as well.  Awesome EDC tool, one I carry every day.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 07:57:27 PM
WAVE

:D  yep just one WAVE  :salute:  although the st300 is better phillips wise  ::)  :D

Offline kazibole

recomend me a leatherman
Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 09:55:21 PM
Wave or Charge!

us Offline Accujohn

• No Life Club
recomend me a leatherman
Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 03:36:34 AM
Save a few bucks and get a rebar

us Offline Mikelarry777

Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 04:47:56 AM
Of the skeletool and wave i would go with the wave, edc'd one for years as it has imo one of tge best all around tool packages including outside accessible blades.  I recently switched over to the rebar though as I have scissors on my style cs and carry a pocket folding knife.  The light weight and tough build make it a great all around tool.  As for the 10 mm socket the only multi I know of that has a socket option is the SOG series but I would rather just carry a 10mm nut driver if I needed it

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 10:53:43 AM
What is your job? What size philips? PH or PZ? What size screwdriver? Does length of driver matter? How much clearance does the nut normally have? Does it have to be a socket or can it be a spanner?

Everyday for work, many times a day, I use a:

12v drill for #2 robinson screws
18v drill with a socket adapter and 17mm socket
17mm ratchet spanner
ratchet screwdriver with 5/16 adapter
PH3 x 150mm screwdriver

Drills save a lot of time and effort. The ratchet spanner is worth its weight in gold. While I could use my multitools on screws etc there are a few reasons I don't. One is the cost, screwdrivers can be replaced for $5. Two is the ergonomics, there is no way I would ever consider using a multitool as a screwdriver in a job type situation. Three is experiance, use the right tool for the job.

If I had to recommend a Leatherman, going on the small amount of info given, I would suggest looking at the Crunch. I imagine it is easier to lock onto a nut and spin or turn the tool than trying to use normal pliers. Or buy a 10mm hex adapter to use with the bit driver you can find by removing the adjusting screw.

Offline boneskid1

Reply #15 on: October 02, 2012, 03:59:35 AM
 I work at Toyota and drive cars around the lot including washing them. If the car has a front plate I have to take it off and I would like to be able to just carry one tool not 3 or 4. The screw heads are usually a ph1 and what ever the equivalent flat head is, the socket usually isn't to deep a couple mm or so. I hope I am giving enough info I am going to try to get over to the bass pro tomorrow afternoon and check all 3 out and see how I like them

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: October 02, 2012, 01:06:03 PM
Check out your local skate shop, they should have a T or Y handle 10mm with removable philips and screwdriver, will be much cheaper as well.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #17 on: October 02, 2012, 01:25:25 PM
victorinox cybertool?
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: October 02, 2012, 09:12:42 PM
Dare I say you don't need a Multitool    :pommel:

You really only need a screwdriver (with or without ratchet) a couple of driver bits, the adapter and 10mm socket (bottom left) or the 10mm driver bit (middle bottom) if you can find one  :tu:

And buy a Multitool another day   :salute:

(More or less what Zoidburg said)  :tu:
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 11:23:03 PM by sparky415 »
Everything’s adjustable

Offline boneskid1

Reply #19 on: October 02, 2012, 10:29:49 PM
The idea of me buying a my is that I have wanted one for a while and I will carry it pretty often if it is like the skeletool or the wave.   Is there any way for me to get a pe blade on the regular skeletool?

us Offline Delta10

Reply #20 on: October 02, 2012, 10:49:08 PM
The original skeletools were actually reverse of how they are now. The CX had a combo blade and the regular had a PE blade, so maybe on ebay or another site that has really old stock.

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: October 02, 2012, 11:46:11 PM
The Skeletool is my favorite at the moment and as Delta says the early version has the PE blade  :tu:

All you need to do is find one of these and grind it down so it will fit in the skeletool  :cheers:

Everything’s adjustable

Offline boneskid1

Reply #22 on: October 02, 2012, 11:59:34 PM
alright so after looking and comparing i got my mind set for the wave now because of all the other implements it has and the fac that i would use it more than just at work. i like the suggestion for the socket driver and will probably do that but now i have to decide. 
B.O./Stainless   Clip/No-Clip

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #23 on: October 05, 2012, 01:26:19 PM
.....but now i have to decide. 
B.O./Stainless   Clip/No-Clip

I'd suggest the Stainless finish as the BO may be more difficult to see if you put it down on a dark surface (eg dark grey bitumen) and you could lose it.

You get the choice of clip/no clip with a Wave as you can get a removable clip (same as for the Charge TTi), so it depends on what carry method you prefer.  As you are around water a lot it may be better not to carry the Wave around in the pouch unless it is totally dry (if it is stored in the pouch while it is damp it is more likely to rust).

Did you look at the LM Charge ALX ?  More expensive than a Wave, but it has two large bit drivers so you can have both Philips and straight bits loaded ready to go at the same time.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #24 on: October 05, 2012, 01:51:54 PM
And so starts your journey down that slippery slope that takes you into the dark world of multitool.org and the need to get just one more tool.Its an itch you can never scratch , thirst you can never quench and a hunger you can never satisfy. Its like a curse  :D

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #25 on: October 05, 2012, 01:52:25 PM
oh and btw the Wave is a very good choice  ;)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%