Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A little help from the multi tool community

us Offline Hotrod9750

on: October 06, 2012, 01:43:45 AM
Hello. My name is Dan. I'm new to this group but it seemed like a perfect place to look for help. I'm a firefighter and live in phila. I was issued in the air force and have been using since 1998 a gerber 650 evolution military tech kit. In the firehouse and on the streets it has served me well. Recently my truck was broken into and my belongings including my fire gear was stolen. What kind of a tool bag steals a firefighters gear. Anyway my tech kit was attached to my running coat and is gone. I contacted gerber for a replacement kit pouch but its unavailable. I really would like to replace this ASAP. If anyone out there has an extra military tech kit or parts or the zipper up pouch they want to sell I'm your guy. I'm really bothered its gone it was with me in iraq and got me out of a couple jams on the fire ground. The personal loss far exceeds the dollar loss. Money is no option. I want to replace it. If anyone out there can help I appreciate it. Thanks.
Please email me at dcowden2@verizon.net if you can help.

Dan   
Daniel Cowden

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: A little help from the multi tool community
Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 01:56:04 AM
That really sucks. I'll tell you, when the find the jackass that did it they should send HIM to Iraq in a bullseye t shirt.

Check your local pawn shops. The stuff may turn up there but more likely since it probably doesn't have a lot of cash value and is fairly easily traced it was probably dumped somewhere.

This is probably the best place for you to find a replacement multitool that's for sure, but keep an eye on eBay as well.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck finding a new tool.

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Hotrod9750

Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 03:10:39 AM
Thanks for the advice. Nothing at the pawn shops. I did get on eBay a used 650 but I need the precision needle nose head. I also need the kit pouch. Please spread the word I need the tech kit pouch. Thanks.
Daniel Cowden

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 10:41:31 AM
The heads show up regularly here:

shear head

http://www.ebay.de/itm/GERBER-Multi-Plier-650-CIMCO-MT-1000-Scherenkopf-/350602271389?pt=DE_Haus_Garten_Heimwerker_Handwerkzeug&hash=item51a1861a9d

Needlenose head

http://www.ebay.de/itm/GERBER-Multi-Plier-650-CIMCO-MT-1000-Spitzzangenkopf-/261098458525?pt=DE_Haus_Garten_Heimwerker_Handwerkzeug&hash=item3ccaae4d9d

It seems he does not ship internationally. If you do Paypal, i could however be the middle man and purchase the heads and forward them.

I´m leaving for a vacation (w/o intenet at the destination) tonight, so either it´s a quick shot or you´ll have to be patient until next weekend.

(the head´s are about 7,-  plus approx. 4,-$ shipping in germany and i guess shipping up to 3 of them to you would be another 8,- €/ arund 12,- $)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 11:12:50 AM
See what I mean? Helpful people!

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Hotrod9750

Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 02:45:35 PM
Thanks for the help. I have located and purchased the tool and most of the heads.  Those heads I just got. I am still looking for the pouch/zip up sheath. If anyone out there has an extra one or wants to part with the whole kit please let me know. Email me at dcowden2@verizon.net. I'm back at the firehouse today and feel naked without it. I have my spare 600 but its not the same. If anyone can conjure this up I would be eternally grateful. Thanks to all for the help and input. 
Daniel Cowden

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 09:32:56 PM
Since your in the firehouse I would send an email to gerber and explain the situation to them. They keep some discontinued models to service warranties I think. Surely for the firehouse they may be able to help.
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 09:44:38 PM
+1 what Steve said.

Contact Gerber.

I'll keep my eye out for you too :D
Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline Hotrod9750

Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 01:39:04 AM
Thanks fellas. I already went the gerber route. After a couple of emails gerber told me its discontinued and they can't send me one. Basically right now I'm screwed. I'm not interested in something close I want That tool. For me theres no substitute. I'm in the hazmat unit in Philadelphia. We have hundreds of hazmat responses every year. When I'm in a suit this tool is my lifeline. I dont need to carry a dozen tools with this. I went back to work today and felt naked all day without it. Yes I'm very attached to this tool. If it works don't change it. I didn't think it would be this difficult to replace it. This blows. Who the hell steals from a firefighter. This criminal took my flashlights knives tools, emptied my truck. Anyway thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. I'm still hoping someone out there has one to sell.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 01:41:15 AM by Hotrod9750 »
Daniel Cowden

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 02:44:53 AM
I'll keep my eyes open. If I spot any I shot you an email or pm :tu:
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

us Offline Hotrod9750

Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 03:03:56 AM
Thanks. I really don't understand how a company that sells their product all over the world stops supporting their higher end products after a couple of years. This is very frustrating. It's not like they only made a dozen. Theirs hundreds of thousands of these out there. How do you not have parts and cases for these. Anyway thanks again for the advice and help.
Daniel Cowden

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 04:30:30 AM
Dan I am not sure the 650 was a big success & they are becoming quite rare now days.
Due to them being different/a bit quirky they have become a bit of a collectors item. A bit like Coleman's Prolock  http://www.multitool.org/Miscellaneous-Tools/Medium-Tools/2007/10/10/coleman-pro-lock.html a terrific concept but it just did not catch on  :think: :think:. So mate you are in the tricky spot of having a EDC item that has become a bit of a rarity + a collectors item  :think:.

Dan you have tracked down some parts of the 650 kit  :think: What are you currently missing/needing mate  :think:. You could look at a aftermarket sheath/kit holder  :think: :think:

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline Hotrod9750

Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 05:32:53 AM
Yeah I guess this particular gerber is geared towards a certain group. It works extremely well for me. As for it being a collectors item I would rather put these tools to use. In 2004 this tool helped me and another firefighter rescue 2 trapped firemen from a basement fire. The same tool saved my life in 2003. I was trapped and cut myself free. That's why I'm so attached to it.  I was able to locate and purchase a 650 evolution, the standard needle nose, blunt nose and cutter heads. No luck on the other 2 heads or for the sheath.  I looked at some aftermarket sheaths. Not the same. This could be attached to my coat or legs. I could have it open with each head in a spot. I could move around and not have everything fall out. Nothing I looked at comes close. In the fire service you stick with what works and this definitely worked. But as I said before I hit a wall with this. I'm on linked in.  I did a search on the CEO of gerber. I got a contact for a sr. Management officer. I emailed him. We will see what happens. Thanks for all the help thus far. Tomorrow is another day at the firehouse without my tools. Luckily I didn't need any specialty items. At least not yet. Hope I find something soon. Again. Thanks. 
Daniel Cowden

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD