Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swisstool Spirit initial impressions

Kurzon · 55 · 10129

Offline Kurzon

Swisstool Spirit initial impressions
on: November 29, 2006, 01:34:55 PM
I own a SwissChamp, a Leatherman xe6 and now a Spirit.  The Spirit is bigger than all of them, and somewhat heavier.  I have to say, I just love the feel of this tool.  It feels very comfortable in the hand, and there's something great about how the tools all click in place.  It also feels more solid than the xe6.  All the tools on the Spirit are locking, which for some people is a huge thing.  The blade is serrated and has no pointed tip, but all you need to do then is just angle it a bit.  There is an awl that can do piercing if you really need it.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Swisstool Spirit initial impressions
Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 11:28:46 PM
Glad to hear that you finally took the plunge!  The Spirit is, for many people, the ultimate multitool.  It is certainly in the top five for almost everyone, myself included.  In fact, I gave my first Spirit to my father and he loves it too- it even replaced his old Schrade Tuff Tool, which he has abused mercilessly for years now.  The lack of a tip on the blade doesn't bother him since he is used to being without it.  he broke the tip off the Schrade a while back!  I told him the best part was he could pound the living hell out of this one as much as he likes and if it ever fails him he can get a new one from Victorinox! 

I am looking forward to hearing more detailed thoughts after you've had it for a while.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline bobofish

Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 01:01:12 AM
I played with on the other day, it certainly is a nice feeling tool. For me the lack of a clip point is odd, but the rest of the tool is very sweet.

Offline gatch

Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 01:40:25 AM
For me the lack of a clip point is odd

I believe the reason for a non-pointed blade is for some European markets where locking knives are illegal. There is an "S" version of the Spirit now that replaces the scissors with a standard Victorinox spear point blade.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 03:15:54 AM
I really don't see the need for a point on a multitool blade.  The clip point actually weakens the tip, but is an American tradition so many US makers try to include them, and the traditional SAK style drop point, while nice, also weakens the blade towards the end.  The sheep's foot keeps the blade full sized and strong all the way to the end, and in case you do need to poke a hole in something, the awl is there and would do a better job than a knife point anyway.

I personally don't miss it at all.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline damota

Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 01:05:03 PM
If the blade is fully serrated is it not blunt so you do not stab the person if you are cutting his seat belt to free him? The ability to cut seat belts safely seems to be the latest essential blade on knives these days.

Dave

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 10:32:35 PM
Yeah it seems they frown on stabbing someone to death if they survive their accident!

Personally I think it's a better feature than a pointed blade, especially on a tool since you really shouldn't be stabbing at much of anything with a tool.  Heck, most folks never stab anyone with a tactical or fighting knife, so why do it with a tool?

Def

us Offline Fred

• I'm the one they call Dr FeelGood
Reply #7 on: December 03, 2006, 01:36:12 AM
stabbing someone for surviving an accident?  LOL!
Yabba dabba doo!

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 11:52:11 PM
I like the spirit a lot , my only two observations are a) :I would rather have a spearpoint plain edged blade , as opposed to a sheepsfoot . b) The thing needs an agressive beadblast in the worst way , same observation applies to the Swisstool .

Chris

Offline Irish Sentry

Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 11:13:54 PM
Yeah it seems they frown on stabbing someone to death if they survive their accident!

Personally I think it's a better feature than a pointed blade, especially on a tool since you really shouldn't be stabbing at much of anything with a tool.  Heck, most folks never stab anyone with a tactical or fighting knife, so why do it with a tool?

Def

Well it depends.....if the survivor was a drunk that just killed a family of four....you might go either way ::)

Serriously though I just hate serrated blades. I was a medic in a VERY busy service that did both rural and urban work, and I can tell you from my personal experience a good plain edge lockback that is kept sharp and oiled will serve you waaaaaay better than a multi tool or fancy edge blades in a fast paced situation.

In almost any normal situation where you need a knife or tool I would opt for a Swiss one hand pocket knife or a good multi tool.  This is just based on my personal experiences and those of my colleagues...I can live with a sheepsfoot (they are required on most boats) but serrated...<shiver>

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: January 14, 2007, 11:30:57 PM
A beadblast really only encourages corrosion as it allows spece for moisture and other gunk to gather, and I just can't see that as being a benefit.  Perhaps as a military knife where reflection could get you into trouble, but for a day to day tool, I'll take the high polished finish.

As for the drunken survivor, you couldn't pay me enough to stab the gut.  It's drip the Spirit into a tube sock and beat the jackass with it until the police came...

But that's just me...

Def

us Offline CacherX4

Reply #11 on: January 15, 2007, 03:38:05 AM

As for the drunken survivor, you couldn't pay me enough to stab the gut.  It's drip the Spirit into a tube sock and beat the jackass with it until the police came...

But that's just me...

Def
+1

Offline SoDak

Reply #12 on: January 28, 2007, 10:01:06 PM
I just got a spirit as well and to say the least, I am pretty impressed with it. At first I was expecting a slightly smaller swisstool which I have little love for. Surprisingly the spirit is much smaller yet keeps many of the tools I use.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007, 04:48:50 AM
Congrats on the new toy SoDak. The Spirit definitely has a way of winning people over once they handle it a bit.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline shecky

Reply #14 on: February 10, 2007, 11:56:26 PM
That weird little sheepsfoot combo edge blade on the Spirit is something I've come to like very much in use. I'd love to have a Vic Solo or Bantam with that blade

The biggest grip I have about Vic tools is that the screwdriver edges are too polished. I wish they could at least just rough up the tips so that they wouldn't bee so slippery

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #15 on: February 13, 2007, 02:47:41 AM
I wouldn't call it a combo edge.  Mine is serrated from tip to tang.

I agree with the problems the polished edges present.  However, its nothing that some quick filework won't fix.
- Terry

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #16 on: February 13, 2007, 07:28:53 PM
.... I agree with the problems the polished edges present.  However, its nothing that some quick filework won't fix.

Any suggestions on how to make the SwissTool and Spirit Phillips head screwdriver "grippier" so it won't slip out of the screw head so easily?
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: February 13, 2007, 08:24:49 PM
I'd hate to sand them or rough them up for fear of corrosion.  Maybe there's a coating you put on them?  Hopefully someone else has an idea.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: February 14, 2007, 03:10:04 AM
I cannot think of any type of coating that would help.

Bead blasting just the head area of the screwdrivers would add some texture, but most folks don't have access to a bead blaster.  :(
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline hurricane bob

Reply #19 on: February 21, 2007, 01:52:47 AM
.... I agree with the problems the polished edges present.  However, its nothing that some quick filework won't fix.

Any suggestions on how to make the SwissTool and Spirit Phillips head screwdriver "grippier" so it won't slip out of the screw head so easily?

When I used to work in the bike shop many bikes still had clutch,ignition, and center case screws with a 6mm thread and philips head. The cases, and covers were cast aluminum, and magnesium. The screws would seize themselves in the case threads. They're brutal to remove usually requiring a punch to turn them one whack at a time. Even the impact driver bits would slip enlarging the philips head causing the screw head to break.

Well anyway, apply some valve grinding to the tip of your philips driver and it will get a much better grip in the head. It wouldn't be practical for a multi, but I was just passing on a tip.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: February 21, 2007, 02:10:03 AM
Good tip- I wouldn't have thought of that myself....

Def

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
  • Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
Reply #21 on: February 21, 2007, 02:12:17 AM
Wonder if lightly scrubbing the tips with "000" or "0000" steel wool would help without damaging it.

mike
Common sense ..... so rare, it's virtually a super power.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: March 03, 2007, 05:42:43 PM
I have only one minor bitch with the Spirit , the handle is slippery . It need some texturing or beadblasting .

I wish it had a blade like the Electrician , and a pocket clip .

Def is right about a Multi blade not needing a point , I would further suggest that it also doesn't nee a great deal of length . A Spirit with an Electrician skinning blade would have a ratio of handle to blade similar to a Bell systems cable splicing knife . A truly great all around tool .

Chris

sk Offline Jaroslav

Reply #23 on: March 04, 2007, 03:20:14 PM
My name is Jaroslav (pronounce as Yaroslav) I am proud owner of Victorinox Bundeswehr, and Victorinox Spirit Multitool for 6 months. I am quite satisfied and impressed by their  quality in everyday use. Your site and especially forum is source of valuable information abuot Swiss and other types of multitools that I did not know they even exist (Not sold in my country - Slovakia). I have contacted Def yesterday with question if I can became member of your community an participate in activities and after his explanation here I am.

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: March 04, 2007, 03:26:47 PM
Welcome, Jaroslav.  We are excited to have you as part of the community here.  How is life in Slovakia?

Tom

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: March 04, 2007, 03:50:56 PM
Glad to see you made it Jaroslav! 

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: March 04, 2007, 06:34:39 PM
Greetings!

(I like your W. Edwards Deming quote.)

sk Offline Jaroslav

Reply #27 on: March 04, 2007, 09:42:11 PM
Welcome, Jaroslav.  We are excited to have you as part of the community here.  How is life in Slovakia?

Tom

Hello Tom

You put uneasy question  :) I can see space for improving life conditions, but generally its OK as long as health is fine.
From multitool fan (and other electronic and mechanical gadgets / toys) viewpoint it is hobby that requires a significant amount of money. Specialized shops with multitools are rare (mostly Internet shops), and prices compared with prices in US shops are much higher. For example for my Victorinox Spirit I have to pay 134 USD (in local currency)  :(
Before Spirit I have noname Chinese multitool. It became oxidated and tools shows signs of deformation so I decided to throw it and  buy real , nice multitool.

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: March 04, 2007, 09:51:55 PM
Jaroslav,

I'm sorry that life is uneasy there.  That's why I asked.  You're a world away from us, & yet you're only a few keystrokes on the keyboard.

We are very fortunate that multitools are readily available for us & are relatively inexpensive to what you pay for them.  My Spirit only cost $31 on sale & came with a free Victorinox Rally knife.  That's not fair, & I know I am spoiled that I can purchase these so easily.  I wish there was a way we could help you with that.

I look forward to getting to know you here on the forum.

Tom

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: March 04, 2007, 09:56:27 PM
Actually Jaroslav, we can probably help with that.  Our advertisers on this site will often ship outside the country and around the world, and their prices are quite good.  I imagine that even including shipping costs, they will be a heck of alot cheaper for you than buying locally!

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%