Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What Jacket?

Gareth · 49 · 12100

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
What Jacket?
on: October 11, 2012, 01:54:49 AM
I'm just curious as to what outdoor jacket's you chaps wear?  Personally I almost always use a Berghaus RG1 that is very simple, light and has held up to some serious rain.  It's even been with me to the Alps and back. :tu:

So what about the rest of you?
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Re: What Jacket?
Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 02:55:30 AM
My first real "outdoors" jacket was actually a Marmot anorak.  I don't remember what they called it, but the pit-zip on the right side actually opened all the way up to make it easier to get the thing on and off.  After that I had another Marmot expedition type jacket but it lost in a move several years ago.  I currently still use a Columbia Titanium ski jacket with one of the zip-in fleece liners, that doubles as a sweater out of the shell.  Last school year, when I was working in Iowa, I put them together and just left the sweater in the shell, because it was getting a little worn.

This is a very timely topic though, because I really want a new soft shell style jacket for the coming winter, and still have a lot of research to do on that.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline Grail Knight

• Who Dares Wins!
Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 03:44:59 AM
I'm just curious as to what outdoor jacket's you chaps wear?

I live in a heavy snow belt region of PA and usually wear my N3B USAF Parka during the winter.
It is warm enough to just wear a tee-shirt under it even when ice-fishing on the lake or in mountain streams.
When not wearing that I just wear a Dickie's Chore Coat and my sheepskin trapper hat.

Edit* Sorry for tossing in coats and parkas. My main fall jacket is a a plain old Columbia fleece
jacket. Fall only lasts a few weeks and then the snow will start or that is how it seems along Lake Erie.  :D
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 03:50:49 AM by Grail Knight »

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 04:51:30 AM
Depends on the weather.

If it's not too cold, and it's going to be dry, I love a light puffy (also known as a down shirt). Nothing better.

If it's not too cold and it's going to be wet, I like a soft shell.  I have a Marmot and an Outdoor Research version.  Both are good.

If it's cold but dry, I have a Golite synthetic down jacket which has been very good down to -15F (-25C). 

If it's cold and it's wet, I layer with either light puffy and soft shell or full on puffy and rainshell.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 02:36:33 PM
What is this "dry" thing you speak of?

Where I'm at it rarely goes below -20C but it's almost always wet. If you wear a heavy coat you end up with a heavier coat. If you dress in layers you end up with lots of wet clothes!

I've been looking at one of those heated jackets at Home Depot lately, but apparently they are only good for about four hours so I'd have to buy two of them.

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 02:43:55 PM
I'm a big fan of soft shells although they don't tend be deluge proof.

Got a thin one by Columbia and a heavier one from Berghaus - both on sale so had to buy them! :D
Neither have hoods but I figured my Tilley could come along when needed.

As for heavy duty cold weather, I'm currently lacking a good option which is waterproof - I do have a warm one from TK Maxx but it leaks like a sieve!
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 02:52:19 PM
I only just got a Hi-gear jacket from go outdoors, it was in my budget of £29 i know cheap but its a lot of jacket for the money and i also needed 2 pairs of walking trousers and a walking pole, ok i didnt really need the pole but ive wanted one for ages  :D and at a fiver i even talked angie into it  ;)  back to the jacket, its a waterproof shell with a fleece that zips inside, the fleece is very nice but removed for now as ill melt  :D i get hot easy, i cant say much about it yet as not really tried it out but ill be walking soul to pick the girls up soon so ill see how it goes, my old ones WR had worn off so i was getting wet plus my old one is a cycling jacket so good to have a comfy jacket with side pockets and a proper hood  :tu: fingers crossed  :salute:

this one in red,
http://www.higear.uk.com/hi-gear-mens-trent-3-in-1-jacket-p190994
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 04:40:57 PM by Zed »

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 03:20:55 PM
Bergans something or other. Dermizax membrane, works well.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 03:39:40 PM
It all depends what and where ...

I have a Gore-tex (or equivalent) 3in1 jacket by TOG 24 which is excellent for winter use (hills and urban) and is about the length of a Barbour waxed jacket. It's also quite good for at the tiller on a narrowboat in a downpour  ::) Next step down is a lighter (and significantly cheaper) Gore-tex (or equivalent) 3in1 jacket which is standard waist length for less drastic weather from Lidl ... can't remember what brand is on that. I do like the fact you can drop the liners out of these first two if the weather warms up, or when doing anything particularly energetic.

I also have a lightweight packable thing which is by Marmot I believe  :think: Obviously that one is just a waterproof and relies on you to layer up occasionally. This has the advantage of underarm vents too

As regards non-waterproofs, I have a Snugpak Sleeka Elite which are fantastic for when it's cold and you're not generating heat from exercise. Wear that whilst walking/working though and you'll melt. I also have a warm waterproof hat by Gelert which has a peaked cap. It does make me look as though I should have a carer with me  ::) but it's warm, dry and the peaked cap keeps the rain off my glasses so I can see where I'm going. Alternative to this is a Barmah Sundowner Roo for rain, or a buff or thinsulate hat for warmth

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline ryan1835

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • buh
Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 05:04:18 PM
ive got a north face resolve rain jacket and i haven't any complaints, also have a berghaus windstopper soft shell jacket thats water resistant think its fantastic! (apart from the price) one day ill get another one
I

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 05:30:47 PM
I used to have a military M-65, and thought it was one of the best jackets but some how it disappeared. I think my wife cleaned out the coat closet 12 years back due to our son being born and needed more room, but I was after a new jacket two years ago and thought that the M-65 would be something to go back too,
The only thing you have to watch is the fake ones, there just not the same! So I found one with the liner, fit great and has kept me warm, and for those nasty days just slip a sweater on an not a problem. I also found a camo hood normally there only OD, and ofcourse it did not fit, it was with snaps not buttons, so I bought buttons and sewed them in, and it fit great, the only problem is that there BIG, due to the fact that there made to fit over helmets. I want to get another liner, but cut the sleeves off and make it into a vest so I can have a multi option wear, JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 08:18:49 PM
Some good sounding jackets folks. :tu:

As the cold weather closes in (and for properly cold weather hiking) I bring out my Montane Smock: http://www.montane.co.uk/range/men/extreme/extreme-smock  If anything it can be a bit too warm if I'm being active, but is great for walking when the temp drops down to -10C or lower.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 11:48:48 PM by Gareth »

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 11:26:22 PM
I'm using a Mountain Equipment Morpheus jacket. Very lightweight, and using Gore-Tex Pro Shell for maximum protection. Best jacket I have used.

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #13 on: October 14, 2012, 02:11:19 PM
I found a 'Sprayway' Vertigo in a charity shop for £9.00. It seems pretty good  - I've worn it many times in the rain walking to work and it's kept me dry, but I have no idea whether 'Sprayway' is regarded as a quality manufacturer. Anyone know?
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #14 on: October 14, 2012, 03:24:39 PM
Sprayway produce some decent gear. Mainly found in independant shops.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #15 on: October 14, 2012, 07:53:34 PM
Sprayway produce some decent gear. Mainly found in independant shops.

Cheers Millhouse!  :tu:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline stealth007s

• I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #16 on: October 16, 2012, 05:45:51 AM
I use some of my old military gortex jackets occasionally when the weather gets bad enough. I have a bunch of the woodland pattern kind and one that is the digitized camo. I got a bird hunting jacket last year when I went on a pheasant hunt. It's made by Columbia and has Columbia PHG embroidered under the logo. It also has the lodge's logo embroidered on the front under the main logos. The majority of that one is international orange with a tan/ beige canvas in the lower area where the pockets and shell holders are. I own a Frog Togs rain suit that is Real Tree camo for wet weather. For cycling I have the Showers Pass Club Pro jacket that is waterproof and works great. Most of the time during jacket weather I'm wearing either a Steelers pullover wind breaker or a light fleece from Bass Pro Shops and they suit fine for the majority of the winter here in Texas.

Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: December 26, 2013, 12:20:29 AM
I'm just curious as to what outdoor jacket's you chaps wear?

I live in a heavy snow belt region of PA and usually wear my N3B USAF Parka during the winter.
It is warm enough to just wear a tee-shirt under it even when ice-fishing on the lake or in mountain streams.
When not wearing that I just wear a Dickie's Chore Coat and my sheepskin trapper hat.

Edit* Sorry for tossing in coats and parkas. My main fall jacket is a a plain old Columbia fleece
jacket. Fall only lasts a few weeks and then the snow will start or that is how it seems along Lake Erie.  :D
Just thought I'd bump this old thread.  I got a Mil-Tec version of the N3B parka and I have to say I am really liking it.    As Grail says; it is lovely and warm with just a t-shirt underneath, even in sub zero temperatures.  Add in the water and wind proofing and you have an excellent winter coat.  The fact you can pretend you look like Han Solo on Hoth is just a bonus. :D

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #18 on: December 26, 2013, 02:52:19 AM
Oooh I'm (hopefully) buying a wet weather jacket tomorrow. It's hard to keep up with all the different types and variants of GoreTex etc. I was thinking of getting a Marmot Precip but I think I need something a little more durable for the odd occasion I need to go bush-bashing - a lot of these jackets are lightweight and need maintenance to stay waterproof, especially if you are pushing through undergrowth. Probably something by Outdoor Research. And must have pit-zips for better ventilation.
I found this website slightly helpful http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Rain-Jacket-Reviews

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: December 26, 2013, 11:31:16 PM
My most frequently used jacket is a relatively cheap but reasonably good Regatta
http://www.regatta.com/mens/jackets/matthews-jacket.html

I typically pay about £20 for them.

Cheap enough that I don't mind wearing it at work and it getting a bit tatty, good enough that I'm happy to use it at work when I'm potentially going to be spending quite a lot of time outside in the cold. For warmth, depending on how cold it is I'll layer up underneath it. At the moment that's either a sweater or a thin fleece (plus t-shirt), but I can fit all of a thick jumper, fleece and overalls under it. That's as warm as I've ever needed here.

I do have other jackets but none get as much use. They don't last forever and I have had one go walkies, I can't think why, most likely it was tidied up.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: December 26, 2013, 11:44:14 PM
Looks a good simple jacket mate.  Good price as well.  :tu:

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #21 on: December 27, 2013, 03:25:42 AM
I wear Carhartt . Keeps me warm in the wicked Minnesota winter.
Defend the Hive!!!

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #22 on: December 27, 2013, 02:33:32 PM

Another big fan of Carhartts (well anything Carhartt).  I live in their flannel lined jeans in the winter.  There are no high tech materials, but the zippers are indestructible and the coats stay warm even when wet. 

Definitely Rural styling though.. :D

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #23 on: December 27, 2013, 03:30:11 PM

Another big fan of Carhartts (well anything Carhartt).  I live in their flannel lined jeans in the winter.  There are no high tech materials, but the zippers are indestructible and the coats stay warm even when wet. 

Definitely Rural styling though.. :D

Defend the Hive!!!

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #24 on: December 27, 2013, 06:50:23 PM
ive got a north face resolve rain jacket and i haven't any complaints, also have a berghaus windstopper soft shell jacket thats water resistant think its fantastic! (apart from the price) one day ill get another one

the zip on the north face i bought is a load of smurf! despite being a ykk zipper comes undone on its own far too often
I

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #25 on: January 11, 2014, 01:16:03 PM
Well, just for the winter use, a Condor softcell jacket with a membrane for the warmer days (read: rain) and reproduction M-65 jacket for the colder ones
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #26 on: January 11, 2014, 05:29:31 PM
Depending on the weather a sleeveless one from LIDLs , a long Marson's or a Rothco M-65 for hunting etc.
But it is usually warm here anyway...
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline Dr Gonzo

Reply #27 on: January 14, 2014, 10:35:30 AM
Technical fabrics like GoreTex etc don't work for me as I run hot so end up sweating to much as the fabric can't cope...I call it "The boil in the bag effect" :D
I like military jackets as they are hard wearing and made for foul weather...I avoid camo patterns though and go for plain colours ;)

About 8 years ago I treated myself to a Ventile smock from SASS Kit...made to measure, very well made and best of all Made in England :tu:

I went for green...there are a couple on ebay at the mo ;)

Last year I treated myself to a Ventile Royal Navy deck jacket...got one brand new from ebay, they pop up used now and again on there ;)
It's very very well made, double layer body and hood with triple layer elbows :tu:
It's an unusual looking jacket which is just my style ;)

I all so rate Barbour jackets but I find I overheat if doing a lot when wearing mine. 
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: January 15, 2014, 09:15:55 AM
Never tried Ventile, though I have heard good things about it.  How much water can it actually take?

gb Offline Dr Gonzo

Reply #29 on: January 15, 2014, 03:01:25 PM
Quite a bit...it's not totally waterproof but it's the breath ability aspect I like best ;)
I've been out in very heavy rain walking for about 30 mins and when I've stopped there has been slight ingress in places but after 10-15 mins in a warm dry place and the jacket dries out.
With it being cotton its hard wearing and can just be chucked in the washing machine when needed where as technical fabrics crack and de-laminate over time.

I'd highly recommend you try one if you get the chance...it will soon become your favourite jacket ;)
They can be expensive depending where you buy from but still cheaper than a lot of the big brand technicals...plus its made in England :salute:

SASS Kit web store is down and has been for some time but you can still contact them...I paid £145 for my smock from them but I had an extra map pocket added, they can do all sorts of extras like D rings on the pockets for securing kit.
I was lucky with the new RN deck jacket I got it brand new for £95...second hand ones go for that and up to £135.

There is a store up in Scotland who make their own jackets and I've always liked the look of some of their stuff plus they offer it in other colours ;)
Here's their site...
http://www.hilltrek.co.uk/index.html   
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%