Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Four Explorers of the Apocalypse...or something like that

us Offline WiSAKfan

hi wanted to snap a couple pics of the explorers i've acquired before i pull at least one of them apart for a new mod

I noticed there are two different kinds of older grey magnifying lens

the explorer might be my fav off the shelf sak  :climber:

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Re: Four Explorers of the Apocalypse...or something like that
Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 09:26:25 PM

Yup - the single bevel and the double bevel. Good observation; not many notice that. The single bevel was the first style, made from approx 73 - 83. The double bevel was made from 84-2004. Single bevel glasses usually have backsprings w/o a brass spacer on the inner pin, where double bevel ones do have the spacer (until about 1988 when the phillips/mag glass backspring changes completely). Notice that the inner layers on the older Explorers are reversed? That's indicative of mid 80s versions - they did this swap from about 83 - 87.

So there you are - more minutia about Explorers than you probably needed. Good luck with the mods.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 09:28:34 PM by jazzbass »

us Offline WiSAKfan

Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 09:34:45 PM
no it is much appreciated, thanks for the additional info.

i did notice to layer swap...

looks like besides the length the heads of the phillips driver is slightly different, more of a point on the older models

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 09:48:54 PM
looks like besides the length the heads of the phillips driver is slightly different, more of a point on the older models

It is. The 2004 redesign was more than just making the glass magnifier plastic. All of the tools in this layer were completely redesigned (including the backspring) to accommodate the new LED tool (for things like the Spartan Lite). The Phillips tool was re-designed so it could be assembled at either end of the knife (small end like a traditional Explorer or large end like in the Spartan Lite) and has a nice new friction lock on it. The shorter length has to do with fact that when assembled into a "Lite" type knife, the LED insert takes up more room than the mag glass, so the Phillips has to be shorter to accommodate it.

us Offline WiSAKfan

Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 09:56:12 PM
have a spartan lite right here on my desk, so yup I see what you mean.

thank you for sharing your wisdom on this.  two questions if you don't mind:

1) any idea of which design proved to be more useful and more universal?  the other day at work i used the shorter version less pointy one in the yeoman i made to screw in a cabinet drawer screw because the bit in my cordless drill was too pointy...

2) do you know where one gets a replacement battery cover for lite LEDs?

thank you!

gr Offline MARIOS7319

• Happiness depends upon ourselves. Aristotle
Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 12:16:18 AM
I didn't notice that to my SAK's, probably because i don't remember to have a SAK with the single bevel magnifying lens. :think:
But i will search to my collection to see.
Thanks for your info jazzbass, very helpful. :tu:

Offline richs2891

Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 10:23:54 AM
Interesting, also noticed that the scissor layer is not always next to the main blade.
Will have to check my explorer when I get home to see if its one of the later ones (I guess it is)

Richard

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 11:41:58 AM
Interesting, also noticed that the scissor layer is not always next to the main blade.
Will have to check my explorer when I get home to see if its one of the later ones (I guess it is)

Richard
I just noticed that as well.  The scissor and magnifier layer get swapped over in the change from old to new style magnifier lenses.

Thing I like about the newer Phillips is the little 'nub' on the tang that engages on the backspring and makes it harder to fold back on you when pressing down hard. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 05:28:06 PM

Richard
I just noticed that as well.  The scissor and magnifier layer get swapped over in the change from old to new style magnifier lenses.

Not exactly - see my first post above. Most Explorers from 1973+ are made in the "traditional" way with the scissors next to the blades. Only for a couple years in the mid 80s (I estimate 1983 -1987) did they reverse the two inner layers. Both of the older mag knives shown here just happen to be from that time. On the old SOSAK forums they used to call these "left-handed Explorers".

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 06:39:20 PM

Richard

Not exactly - see my first post above. Most Explorers from 1973+ are made in the "traditional" way with the scissors next to the blades. Only for a couple years in the mid 80s (I estimate 1983 -1987) did they reverse the two inner layers. Both of the older mag knives shown here just happen to be from that time. On the old SOSAK forums they used to call these "left-handed Explorers".
shows that I need to read the whole thread more carefully. :D  Excellent info as always mate. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline WiSAKfan

Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 08:19:31 PM
yes this forum rocks!

thanks for the info gentleman!

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #11 on: October 14, 2012, 10:21:46 PM

Richard

ahhh, I was wondering about that.  My EDC explorer with single bevel magnifier and no hole in the awl is "scissors next to blade" but I have another one at home (double bevel and sewing eye) that is a "Leftie".

Just picked up another on eBay last week, should be in the mailbox today hopefully. Will be interested to see which "hand" that one is. 

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 07:50:01 AM
speaking of "Explorers of the Apocalypse...
IMG_0970.JPG
* IMG_0970.JPG (Filesize: 72.9 KB)

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 07:58:50 AM

Richard

ahhh, I was wondering about that.  My EDC explorer with single bevel magnifier and no hole in the awl is "scissors next to blade" but I have another one at home (double bevel and sewing eye) that is a "Leftie".

Just picked up another on eBay last week, should be in the mailbox today hopefully. Will be interested to see which "hand" that one is.

It's "Traditional"...  this one (left hand SAK in the pic) has double bevel magnifier, sewing eye and has a multi-purpose hook on the back of the scissors. Neither of the others have a hook. Also has the hole in the scales for a straight pin.

Interesting that there are so many different versions of the same model...

us Offline WiSAKfan

Reply #14 on: October 15, 2012, 08:01:31 AM
speaking of "Explorers of the Apocalypse...

yes indeed that would be the one riding the white horse!

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: October 15, 2012, 01:10:33 PM
I would have said the Pale/Palid horse, the white horse rider is conquest (or pestilence, depending on which scholars you believe)

Wikipedia? noooo... I just know stuff like that, honest  :whistle:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD