Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Favorite basic SAK?

cbl51 · 83 · 8931

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Favorite basic SAK?
on: October 16, 2012, 02:24:22 PM
Okay, I know that a SAK cam be had with enough tools to fix the Titanic, but they weight a lot and are bulky as a brick in the pocket. All the SAK's I have had, most of them have been the one or two layer. I always felt the most bang for the buck came in two layers. I love the bantam, light weight and slim, but I've been on a recruit jazz of late. Two layer with just enough tools to get through the day in greater suburbia. Couple of knife blades, and a couple of tools that have multiple uses. When I take a vacation where I'm flying, I mail a recruit to where I'll be staying. I don't drink wine, so I don't need a corkscrew. The small driver on the can opener will handle phillips in a pinch, and the large screw driver can be used like a combo tool on large phillips. I love the simplicity of the smooth back recruit.

So, what's your favorite two layer SAK.?
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Re: Favorite basic SAK?
Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 02:48:29 PM
My favorite two layer SAK, by far, would be the Compact. I like having scissors on me, the corkscrew is great for carrying the micro screwdriver in, the combo tool works well as a cap lifter and as a screwdriver... only the hook is a bit annoying IMO :P
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

br Offline rmagralha

Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 04:03:01 PM
I like the pioneer....I carry one with my car keys.  :tu:

Offline Blitzwing

Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 04:54:34 PM
Love my tinker... Light and effective

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 04:57:29 PM
84mm tinker!
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 04:59:53 PM
84mm Golfer. Only other two layer SAK I carry is a pioneer  :think: I have a Timekeeper which I want to carry more, but I need to make a leather sheath system for it (and other stuff) as I don't want to wreck the time piece (yet another project which has been on hold for many months  ::) )

I do have a Compact which is excellent, but that lives in a FAK

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

england Offline macabee

Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 05:01:13 PM
Compact is excellent as a basic SAK
"One SAK is all right. Two are too many, and three are not enough"

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 05:19:46 PM
Alox Soldier or 84mm Recruit are 2 I own and like a lot.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 06:10:25 PM
My favorite two layer SAK, by far, would be the Compact. I like having scissors on me, the corkscrew is great for carrying the micro screwdriver in, the combo tool works well as a cap lifter and as a screwdriver... only the hook is a bit annoying IMO :P
I'm also a fan of the Compact.  I've got one for my pocket, and one on my workbench that's going to be made into a Yeoman, soon!   :whistle:  Once I get that done, then that will be my favorite "basic" SAK.  I also tore down an older Explorer as part of the process as a donor tool, and now I'm wanting another Explorer too.  Perhaps 4 layers is a little thick to be considered "basic", but for me, there isn't a better all-around 4 layer than the Explorer.

And don't be hatin' on the hook!!!  It's a lot more useful than you think, it just requires a bit of imagination.  Do a search here for a thread about uses for the hook; you'll be very surprised (in a good way,  ;) ) at the things people have used them for!  The only limit to its usefulness is your ingenuity!   :tu:
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline Tyler_

Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 06:52:51 PM
Waiter + mini screwdriver

de Offline crackout

Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 07:03:07 PM
Voyageur. :angel:
Say my name.

no Offline Grathr

Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 07:11:58 PM
My favorites are the pioneer/soldier and the Tinker.
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

ca Offline Suveges

Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 07:25:27 PM
Compact or Electrician here.

se Offline Northern Geek

Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012, 07:27:52 PM
Torn between the Compact and the Climber at the moment. I love how.. er.. compact the Compact is ( :facepalm: ) but I do kind of miss being able to use the can opener for philips easily.

gr Offline Aleister

Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 08:21:44 PM
Climber :climber:

I also like Spartan (but I miss the scissors) and Compact (but I miss the small screwdriver on the can opener which can be used as a philips).

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: October 16, 2012, 09:05:21 PM
The Scientist is my favorite two layer SAK, but I usually carry a three layer Passenger.

us Offline WiSAKfan

Reply #16 on: October 16, 2012, 09:47:42 PM
I'm also a fan of the Compact.  I've got one for my pocket, and one on my workbench that's going to be made into a Yeoman, soon!   :whistle:  Once I get that done, then that will be my favorite "basic" SAK.  I also tore down an older Explorer as part of the process as a donor tool, and now I'm wanting another Explorer too.  Perhaps 4 layers is a little thick to be considered "basic", but for me, there isn't a better all-around 4 layer than the Explorer.

And don't be hatin' on the hook!!!  It's a lot more useful than you think, it just requires a bit of imagination.  Do a search here for a thread about uses for the hook; you'll be very surprised (in a good way,  ;) ) at the things people have used them for!  The only limit to its usefulness is your ingenuity!   :tu:

you should pick up a bantam for cheap and used that combo tool and save the compact!  just my opinion anyways  :climber:

yeoman is my fav compact, compact is nice too but i really prefer my saks to have the inline phillips

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: October 16, 2012, 09:59:30 PM

you should pick up a bantam for cheap and used that combo tool and save the compact!  just my opinion anyways  :climber:

yeoman is my fav compact, compact is nice too but i really prefer my saks to have the inline phillips
I hadn't thought of that... it's a good idea.  The only hitch is that the Explorer I used is an older one that doesn't have the hook on the backside.  (Yes, I actually like and have used the hook before!)  That's the primary reason I'm using a Compact as the base tool to receive the donor parts. 

I keep mulling the possibility of adding a fourth layer like pliers to make a Compact Mechanic, or maybe a bit driver layer to make a Cyber compact, or even both to make a Compact CT34.  I'd have to get a CT to use as the base tool for that though, and I can't afford one right now.  But then it'd be too big for easy pocket carry, which would defeat the whole purpose of why I'm making a Yeoman out of a Compact.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #18 on: October 16, 2012, 10:48:58 PM
I'd have to say it's a toss up between the Tinker and the Wenger SI for me.  :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Favorite basic SAK?
Reply #19 on: October 16, 2012, 11:53:01 PM
My only and favorite 2 layer is an old alox Cadet. I find the nail file useful as a flat Philips, blunt awl and small pry tool. It's a joy to touch and play with and easy to carry in my pants or smart suit.

us Offline clickstop

Reply #20 on: October 17, 2012, 12:47:51 AM
A cadet's on my wish list, but for now my favorite basic and over-all knife is probably the Recruit. The flush backsprings feel great in the hand, it makes the knife very comfortable.

I also have a compact, but I really can't get into it for some reason. It would have been better if the corkscrew was replaced with a phillips, gotta have a phillips screwdriver. After handling the 84mm SAK's, the 91mm frame also feels very awkward in the hand though.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: October 17, 2012, 12:48:54 AM
I've been carrying my Cadet a lot recently, but if I was only allowed one two-layer SAK it would be the Compact I think.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline django.cj

Reply #22 on: October 17, 2012, 02:56:21 AM
Compact is a favorite, SI/soldier is close behind.

us Offline charlie fox

Reply #23 on: October 17, 2012, 04:23:06 AM
Recruit! I've carried one on and off for the last 30 years and have never found it wanting. I do have an original Yeoman that I like a lot as well, but the Recruit always seems to find its way into my pocket :D
"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #24 on: October 17, 2012, 05:33:17 AM
If I had to be restricted to two layers, I would probably grab my homebuilt Wenger Diplomat ("improved" with Awl in place of corkscrew)
Basically a Traveller with the opener layer removed.

Scissors ]--------]
  Nail File ]--------[ Large Blade
                  A
                  W
                  L

gb Offline kungaryfu

Reply #25 on: October 17, 2012, 09:33:44 AM
i allways carry one of two saks on me at all times
at work; i cary an alox cadet
at home; i carry a compact

i find the cadet works well at work as i want something not to bulky, and the nail cleaner comes in handy as i hate having dirt under my nails, and as i work in a builders merchants my hands get very dirty; and the can opener comes in handy at lunchtimes.

at home the compact has most of the things i need and it fits nicely in the pocket, and i like the addition of the file on the back of the hook, also i used the pin for the first time yesterday to unblock the nozzle that shoots water over the car windscreen for the screenwash. a very handy sak indeed

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #26 on: October 17, 2012, 01:15:24 PM
I was looking in my parts and donors box today  and realised that I have a picnic with a combo tool so i can build a compact out of wenger parts. Now that should confuse anyone who knows a bit about SAKs. And that appeals to me :-D

us Offline Southern Dad

Reply #27 on: October 17, 2012, 01:42:21 PM
For me, it depends on where I am that day. If I'm going to be outside, or on a long scooter ride, I'll take my Cadet or maybe SuperTinker in my jacket. If I'm going to be around office people all day, I'll take an Executive, because if I have to open it up and trim something, it's not intimidating to coworkers like a bigger SAK. Unfortunately I lost my Executive earlier this year and haven't replaced it yet.  :(

gb Offline kitbeard

Reply #28 on: October 17, 2012, 02:17:07 PM
My two favourite basic SAKs are the Vic Waiter and Bantam alox model.  Up a layer from that, I like the Recruit more than the Cadet.  After that, it's the Sportsman if you can describe it as a basic SAK.  Anyway, my favourite basic SAK pocket is getting to be bulging.

us Offline JNieporte

Reply #29 on: October 18, 2012, 02:00:39 PM
Single layer: Waiter.
Two layers: Compact or Sportsman.
Three layers: Camper.
This is gonna hurt...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00