Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Favorite basic SAK?

cbl51 · 83 · 8904

us Offline Grateful

Re: Favorite basic SAK?
Reply #30 on: October 18, 2012, 02:23:35 PM
 My favorite is the 84mm tinker.
Jim

Offline Blitzwing

Reply #31 on: October 18, 2012, 02:57:29 PM
I think I'm in trouble now.. The corporate hq for them is in ct and they have a warehouse sale in November.. Kinda liking the compact among others... May need to bring plastic :(

gr Offline MARIOS7319

• Happiness depends upon ourselves. Aristotle
Reply #32 on: October 18, 2012, 09:48:33 PM
My favorite is the Vic Compact. Perfect assortment of tools for urban carry. ;)
And if it has the plus scales is even better.
My second choice will be the Explorer. I like the phillips screwdriver and the magnifying glass.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 09:57:26 PM by MARIOS7319 »

se Offline kinskibrain

Reply #33 on: October 18, 2012, 10:56:27 PM
Can't pick one over the other. But two layer SAKs are head and shoulders above any other SAK as far as I'm concerned. Four layers are ok for bags. I don't like the three layer ones.

Wenger Classic 07. I love the Wenger knife blade. I can get it sharper than my Vics and its just a wicked slicer. I find I seldom want scissors on an EDC basis. Scissors is more of a travel tool to me. The 101 gives me the small blade instead of nail file but I find the file quite handy for poking stuff and it can be used as a very small philips. Wenger has the best toothpick (thinnest). I love how the Wenger Classics look and as my first SAK was a Wenger the Classic look is really what I picture when I think about a SAK.

Victorinox Spartan.  I like the can opener philips and I much prefer corkscrew to philips. I also like the spare blade.

Victorinox Pioneer Love the inline awl. Shares first price for looks with the Wenger classic. Minus for no toothpick/tweezers.

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #34 on: October 18, 2012, 11:14:18 PM
My fav is the Rambler that is on my keys.  Even if I forget to grab another SAK or MT on the way out the door, I am never without this Ramber and I am always needing it for something.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: October 19, 2012, 03:06:31 AM
My second choice will be the Explorer. I like the phillips screwdriver and the magnifying glass.
That's the beauty of the Yeoman; it's the love-child of the Explorer and Compact! :D
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #36 on: October 19, 2012, 05:40:34 AM
Restricted to two layers...

The Compact for EDC, with my Rebar in my bag for the other tools. If I could find a keyring equipped Golfer, I'd swap in a heartbeat.

But when I need to carry light, toss up between a Cadet and an Apprentice (1 layer).
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #37 on: October 19, 2012, 09:53:46 AM
That's the beauty of the Yeoman; it's the love-child of the Explorer and Compact! :D

Agreed!  :tu: Probably my favourite SAK of all

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: October 19, 2012, 08:03:51 PM

I've got to get back down to my workbench and finish the Yeoman I've been working on.  I tore down an old Explorer and a Compact to make it, now I just have to put it together.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

gb Offline Pignut71

Reply #39 on: October 21, 2012, 06:19:58 PM
I find the Super Tinker pretty good as a basic carry SAK. I guess if it had to be a 2 layer SAK then I would have to say Compac as well (although I've never carried mine as yet, must give t a whirl).

Atb, Jon.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: October 22, 2012, 04:27:02 AM
If we are talking non Alox SAK's , I'd say the Huntsman , anything smaller just keeps on comming up short on function .

Then again , I EDC a Handyman on a dangler clip .

Chris

us Offline WiSAKfan

Reply #41 on: October 22, 2012, 04:30:45 AM

I've got to get back down to my workbench and finish the Yeoman I've been working on.  I tore down an old Explorer and a Compact to make it, now I just have to put it together.

totally agree about the yeoman, it's a hot love child of the compact and explorer both great knives.

on the yeoman waiting, calling out to you: getttrrrr-done!  :climber:  and post pics!

Offline kore

Reply #42 on: October 22, 2012, 06:00:09 AM
My fav is tinker and  :climber:

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Favorite basic SAK?
Reply #43 on: October 23, 2012, 11:23:44 PM
I just got a Spartan with soft plus scales. I find it great. I would only add a pair of scissors on it. 

nl Offline SteelWing

Reply #44 on: October 23, 2012, 11:48:32 PM
For me it would be either the Spartan or Compact. I probably like the Spartan slightly more, since scissors can be supplied by several keychain options, so having an awl would be more useful. Either way, the 2-layer 84 and 91 mm models feel extremely right for me, due to the weight and the position of the large blade relative to my hand.

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: October 24, 2012, 12:55:41 AM
I just got a Spartan with soft plus scales. I find it great. I would only add a pair of scissors on it.
Spartan + scissors = Climber.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Favorite basic SAK?
Reply #46 on: October 24, 2012, 06:25:32 AM
Yes then, Climber must be a great option.

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: October 24, 2012, 06:51:57 AM

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Favorite basic SAK?
Reply #48 on: October 24, 2012, 11:11:55 PM
Heinz, are you trying to make me a collector?
I carried the Spartan in my pocket today, in place of the Cadet, first time since a quarter of a century. All my jeans get quickly worn out there. It felt just like the Cadet, no noticeable difference. And the feeling of the soft scales is much gratifying, in a peculiar way. I'll count on the scissors of my XLT. Spartan in my pocket for now on.

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: October 25, 2012, 03:39:44 AM
Heinz, are you trying to make me a collector?
I carried the Spartan in my pocket today, in place of the Cadet, first time since a quarter of a century. All my jeans get quickly worn out there. It felt just like the Cadet, no noticeable difference. And the feeling of the soft scales is much gratifying, in a peculiar way. I'll count on the scissors of my XLT. Spartan in my pocket for now on.
Give it up!  You're hooked!  Admit it!  :D   :pok:

You can always pop the soft scales off your Spartan and put them on a Climber you know...  :whistle:

Of course, if you really want to maximize your tool compliment while minimizing size, it's hard to beat a Yeoman.   :tu:

us Offline WiSAKfan

Reply #50 on: October 25, 2012, 04:32:07 AM
you make your yeoman yet?

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: October 25, 2012, 04:55:07 AM
you make your yeoman yet?
Tore one of my Compacts apart yesterday, but haven't put the Yeoman together yet.

hu Offline borgwarrior

• Wait,what?
Reply #52 on: October 26, 2012, 09:52:55 AM
Soldier 2008 is the best size/usage value SAK for me. But if it has to be a 91mm sized piece, then its the Huntsman.
Small collection of SAK's, (but growing rapidly. :D) not so fast at this time. :( And the most important of all: Ze Zuper Zoldier by Steve!  :ahhh
Wishlist for 2014: Rangergrip 88, Victorinox: CT41, Spirit X BO CC, Swisstool X BO, Some limited Alox stuffs and so on

gb Offline kitbeard

Reply #53 on: October 26, 2012, 09:06:37 PM
There's a lot of love for the Compact in evidence in this thread.  However, I've found that UK prices for the Compact are very high, starting at £30 (around £48 or £37 euros) and rising a good way beyond that.  I wonder whether these prices are reflected elsewhere and/or whether I've been looking at the wrong online stores.  I like the looks and tool set of the Compact but it seem to be overpriced for a basic SAK, given you can pick up something like a Cadet for about two-thirds of the lowest price I've seen for a Compact.

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: October 26, 2012, 10:15:09 PM
There's a lot of love for the Compact in evidence in this thread.  However, I've found that UK prices for the Compact are very high, starting at £30 (around £48 or £37 euros) and rising a good way beyond that.  I wonder whether these prices are reflected elsewhere and/or whether I've been looking at the wrong online stores.  I like the looks and tool set of the Compact but it seem to be overpriced for a basic SAK, given you can pick up something like a Cadet for about two-thirds of the lowest price I've seen for a Compact.
Even here in the states, the price of the Compact seems inordinate to its size, compared to other similar SAKs.  A Climber is three layers, and goes for about $25, a Huntsman is 4 layers and goes for about $35, an Explorer is 4 layers, and goes for about $40, while the Compact is around $32.   :think:

us Offline WiSAKfan

Reply #55 on: October 27, 2012, 01:54:29 AM
it's expensive to put that file on the hook  :whistle:  :rofl:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #56 on: October 27, 2012, 11:37:04 AM
Even here in the states, the price of the Compact seems inordinate to its size, compared to other similar SAKs.  A Climber is three layers, and goes for about $25, a Huntsman is 4 layers and goes for about $35, an Explorer is 4 layers, and goes for about $40, while the Compact is around $32.   :think:

I suspect (and this is only a guess) that you are paying for the 'plus' parts; pen pin and mini-screwdriver.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: October 27, 2012, 08:35:16 PM

This is something I have noticed in other Victorinox models. The executive for example is more expensive than a tinker or camper. I'd have thought the smaller the Vic, the lower the price. Otherwise it's like paying more for a Toyota Yaris than a Toyota Camry.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: October 27, 2012, 09:13:19 PM
I feel like a freak, I like the Spartan. :)

us Offline clickstop

Reply #59 on: October 28, 2012, 01:55:38 AM

This is something I have noticed in other Victorinox models. The executive for example is more expensive than a tinker or camper. I'd have thought the smaller the Vic, the lower the price. Otherwise it's like paying more for a Toyota Yaris than a Toyota Camry.

I think it depends on what market they aim it at. The Executive is probably priced at, well, executives and corporate suit wearin' types (go figure  ::)), so Vic probably thinks they can bump up the price a bit more. A Tinker on the other hand would be aimed at working class folks who won't pay ridiculous amounts of money for a knife.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%