Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New to axe's

us Offline colt 1911

• Absolutely No Life Club
New to axe's
on: October 17, 2012, 08:12:34 PM
Looking for a good hand axe, hoping you guys can advise me. thanks for the help.
CHEERS

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: New to axe's
Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 08:32:59 PM
Oooh, there are loads to pick from.  First; what are you planning to do with it?  Take it hiking?  Chop kindling?  Throwing?  etc etc.  Next; what is your budget?  You can spend as much as you like on a custom job, but it's hardly necessary.  Finally, are you happy with a synthetic handle or are you thinking traditional wood?
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 08:58:27 PM
Hiking and wood chopping, kindling, I would spend up to 50.00 bucks.
CHEERS

no Offline Grathr

Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 09:59:45 PM
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 11:04:11 PM
CHEERS

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 11:19:48 PM
My personal facvourite will cost you more. Gransfors Bruks Wildlife Hatchet! Singularly the best axe I could recommend for that job. If you want to do the same tasks on a budget, be prepared to have to sharpen and condition our axe. Many of the cheaper hatchets have a soft zone which needs sharpening away to get to the better steel beneath, and some will also needs the cheeks reshaping in order to work efficiently. A Granny B will run from cold for want of a better expression, but if you want to go for a cheaper axe, you'll be wise to budget in for a decent file and stone for tuning the new toy (you'll need one anyway - but you'll need one SOONER if you're on a budget).

I'd also Google "Old Jimbo" who is a bit of an old hand with axes, and he has some good reading out there on the old Worldwide Wonderbra. If you have any specific questions once you've got something that suits your budget, there's quite a few fellers here at MTo that can give you tips and point you to resources which will help you get the best from it.

Keep us informed matey  :tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

no Offline Grathr

Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 11:25:09 PM
I have one of their smallest axes, the X5.  I'm very happy with it. I have also used one of the larger ones quite a bit. I was actually surprised at how cheap the fiskars axes are in the US. Here I can buy a wetterlings axe for the price of a fiskars. The wetterlings is better in my opinion, but it cost a lot more than the fiskars in the US.

no Offline Grathr

Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 11:29:01 PM
And I have to agree with 50ft-trad. The best axe you can get is a Granfors Bruks, but they are not cheap.

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 01:11:55 AM
My personal facvourite will cost you more. Gransfors Bruks Wildlife Hatchet! Singularly the best axe I could recommend for that job. If you want to do the same tasks on a budget, be prepared to have to sharpen and condition our axe. Many of the cheaper hatchets have a soft zone which needs sharpening away to get to the better steel beneath, and some will also needs the cheeks reshaping in order to work efficiently. A Granny B will run from cold for want of a better expression, but if you want to go for a cheaper axe, you'll be wise to budget in for a decent file and stone for tuning the new toy (you'll need one anyway - but you'll need one SOONER if you're on a budget).

I'd also Google "Old Jimbo" who is a bit of an old hand with axes, and he has some good reading out there on the old Worldwide Wonderbra. If you have any specific questions once you've got something that suits your budget, there's quite a few fellers here at MTo that can give you tips and point you to resources which will help you get the best from it.

Keep us informed matey  :tu:

Thank you so much for the info, I think I will go with the Gransfors Bruks Wildlife Hatchet, 111.00 amazon.
CHEERS

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 08:59:26 AM
You won't regret it mate, GB's really are THAT good :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 09:07:30 AM
Wise move  ;) You'll love it  :tu:

:cheers:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 05:23:46 PM
Hi Colt,
I have a GB Ax and I love it   :tu:

But have you thought about buying second hand from a garage sale or flea market? (rust is good)
You might need a few tools to sharpen them but its all good practice
Also for a few bucks you could try out a few different weights/lengths of ax before spending a lot on an ax that might not be idea for your use

Anyway good luck in your search  :cheers:
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 08:41:19 PM
Hi Colt,

But have you thought about buying second hand from a garage sale or flea market? (rust is good)
Also for a few bucks you could try out a few different weights/lengths of ax before spending a lot on an ax that might not be idea for your use

That's a great idea, i picked up a long handle ax at the local thrift store. I'll check it out again, thanks for the heads up !
CHEERS

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 11:03:13 PM
Hi Colt,

That's a great idea, i picked up a long handle ax at the local thrift store. I'll check it out again, thanks for the heads up !

:tu:

If you can't find anywhere suitable to post pictures of rusty tools there's always room in this thread  ;)

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,20179.msg646823.html#new
Everything’s adjustable

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69