Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Powerassist VCUT/Can opener clearance FLAW

us Offline Accujohn

• No Life Club
on: October 20, 2012, 05:12:11 AM
Those of you familiar with these know about the design flaw with the v cutter and can opener getting hung up together due to poor design. The one I picked up was no different. The can opener was always getting stuck to the v cutter due to the fact the the driver tip on the can opener not being able to clear a rivet on the vcut. I realize that I could order another tool for the the slot or try to rearrange them due to the tool's versatility... but I wondered what would happen if I simply removed the driver tip from the can opener. It's virtually worthless to me anyway. I did so and you can see the result. The can opener works much better and the two tools now clear each other most the time. it still can barely touch the edge of one of the vcut blades but nowhere near the rivet. If this would work for you, give it a shot.
DSCN6024.jpg
* DSCN6024.jpg (Filesize: 61.09 KB)
DSCN6025.jpg
* DSCN6025.jpg (Filesize: 54.27 KB)

us Offline TMFKAMJ

• Uh... I'm back to look around
Re: Powerassist VCUT/Can opener clearance FLAW
Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 05:10:24 PM
I tried that not on purpose though i was prying a casing off a lock and it snapped off  :twak: but it does clear the rivet now  :tu: it actually used to be one of my pet peeves when i EDCed mine  :)
hi

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 07:01:58 PM
I replaced the V-cutter with an awl which is more useful to me and has no clearance problems.   I had envisioned using the V-cutter to open those tough plastic blister packages, but it didn't work well for that task.  It's easier to cut cord and rope with one of the outside assisted opening knife blades than to open the tool to access the V-cutter.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline Accujohn

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 07:48:20 PM
I replaced the V-cutter with an awl which is more useful to me and has no clearance problems.   I had envisioned using the V-cutter to open those tough plastic blister packages, but it didn't work well for that task.  It's easier to cut cord and rope with one of the outside assisted opening knife blades than to open the tool to access the V-cutter.

I see the v cut as an emergency use tool for seatbelts etc. that said, why is it on the inside? Under a lid? Not sure;)

But i almost always would use something else for other routine cutting anyway

us Offline Romanoat

• Fixin' things in jersey...
Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 01:53:52 PM
I just very lightly filed a notch in the rivet, and also slightly tweaked the cutter away from the can opener. 9 times of 10, they clear each other without touching.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 03:39:42 PM
That works :tu:

I seem to remember taking mine apart and moving tools around too - maybe using washers to sort the v-cutter thing out. I wanted to keep the tool in the line up, so needed to juggle it a bit.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44