Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Are the Recruit's tools tucked in slightly more?

nl Offline SteelWing

Are the Recruit's tools tucked in slightly more?
on: October 20, 2012, 11:57:47 AM
On my Recruit, the tools (especially the two openers) seem to be tucked in slightly more in the closed state than the tools on my other SAKs are. Is this normal? I like the Recruit, because it usually provides all the tools I need and because of the smooth backsprings. However, because the tools are tucked in slightly more, the nail nicks are partially hidden inside the body. This makes accessing the implements a real annoyance sometimes. The tools on my other SAKs seem to stick out slightly more, which makes it a real pleasure to open the tools.

So are all Recruits this way?

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Re: Are the Recruit's tools tucked in slightly more?
Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 03:50:24 PM
I just checked my recruit against my camper and tinker and bantam. I can't see any difference at all. Both of the screw drivers/openers seem to be exactly the same depth in the handles.

I too love the smooth back on the recruit. Wonderful little SAK with just the right amount of tools to go through the day in suburbia.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline clickstop

Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 07:28:40 PM
Compared to the 91mm's, the opener layer's nail nicks are more recessed. Doesn't bother me too much, it's a small trade off for those awesome backsprings   :drool: Wish this thing had scissors though. That's all it's missing, in my opinion.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 10:06:34 AM
Compared to the 91mm's, the opener layer's nail nicks are more recessed. Doesn't bother me too much, it's a small trade off for those awesome backsprings   :drool: Wish this thing had scissors though. That's all it's missing, in my opinion.

So you might like my latest then....  Picnic++ 

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 10:50:54 AM
Sweet  :tu:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

tr Offline yabantas

Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 11:43:55 AM
that's a nice one :)

gr Offline MARIOS7319

• Happiness depends upon ourselves. Aristotle
Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 12:09:24 PM
That's perfect! :gimme:

nl Offline SteelWing

Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 03:49:26 PM
Thanks for the replies. That looks like a really nice knife. I actually meant that the tools on my Recruit seemed more tucked in, even compared to my 84mm Tinker. The openers differ only very slightly, but apparently just enough to feel different to me. Perhaps I only notice a difference due to the different spring tension. However, there does seem to be a visible difference to me, especially with the large blade. The Recruit's bottle opener seems to cover the nail nick of the large blade visibly more than the Tinker's. Unfortunately, I am currently not able to take a picture to illustrate this. However, it is only a minor concern. I really do like the springs of the Recruit though.

us Offline clickstop

Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 03:47:57 AM

So you might like my latest then....  Picnic++ 

(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)

Lovely tool set that  :), just wish it had a phillips driver!

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 08:17:20 AM
hmm could grind a 2D Philips on the tip of the saw, but it's a bit too skinny as a tool for anything more than gentle use.

STOP giving me ideas!!  I was lovin this little honey, but now I'm seeing shortcomings.... :ahhh

:rofl:

us Offline clickstop

Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 03:49:07 PM
hmm could grind a 2D Philips on the tip of the saw, but it's a bit too skinny as a tool for anything more than gentle use.

STOP giving me ideas!!  I was lovin this little honey, but now I'm seeing shortcomings.... :ahhh

:rofl:

:rofl: Isn't that how any great SAK collection starts?

It's still a lovely knife though; if there's anything Wenger's done right that Vic hasn't it's having flush backsprings, even with backside tools

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%