Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Razor knives

Offline kreskin13

Razor knives
on: March 06, 2008, 11:48:57 AM
I admit it. I have a thing for razor knives. I don't know why, I just like 'em. Could be that I make my living with the damn things.

I mentioned in another thread that I think I have about 50 of these wonderful tools and at least one of you wanted to see some pics. Well I'm here at work now and only have part of my collection here, most of them are at home. I'll take some pics of those later.

Calvin

* P3060046 30%.JPG (Filesize: 116.61 KB)
[

Offline kreskin13

Re: Razor knives
Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 11:50:16 AM
Here are some "exotic" blades.

Calvin

* P3060050 28%.JPG (Filesize: 119.8 KB)
[

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 01:02:31 PM
I still have my Stanley that I used a lot in my last job.  I have lots of odd blades for it, didn't know you could get serrated ones though.
I'm back!!

Offline kreskin13

Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 01:21:15 PM
I still have my Stanley that I used a lot in my last job.  I have lots of odd blades for it, didn't know you could get serrated ones though.

Yeah, I first saw them at Lowes about 3 months ago but you had to buy a pack of 50 for about $15 and you really couldn't see what the blades in the package looked like.

I found this pack at my local country hardware store for about $4. I would love to give you a review about how they work but I haven't used them yet. ::)

Interesting idea though.

Calvin
[

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 06:11:09 PM
I have a Lowes Cobalt razor knife and I really like it. The blades are very secure but also easy to replace. They've come a long way in the last few years.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 07:02:43 PM
Is there anything shiney you don't collect mate ::), you must have been a magpie in a former life :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 07:30:00 PM
How can you claim to be a collector, when you don't even have an Olfa?

(Of any sort, let alone the Model A -  which I'd had since before man knew fire)

« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 07:33:24 PM by Nomad »

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 11:13:44 PM
Calvin,where did you get that Ryobi? That one intrigues me
I

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 11:34:15 PM
I'm with you Cman, in my job we used them all day. I had a modest collection (nothing like yours).
When I left the trades shows a couple of years ago, them angled fatties were the rage, I never cared
for them because they were just to big and bulky.

Orange and yellow regular ones were popular because they were easy to find if you dropped them or set them down.
I also like the ones were you could change the blades fast and easy, most do that now.

What was crazy to me is how many old timers still carried the box cutters that stayed open all the time! or the knife
was so old they couldn't close it anymore and they stored them "open" in their tool boxes! They said that helped
when other people tried to borrow their tools without asking!  :o

us Offline Stuey

Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 02:11:21 AM
I have that Stanley quick slide and love it above all other razor knives despite its lack blade height adjustment.

Anyways, nice collection!

Offline kreskin13

Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 02:13:17 AM

I got it from Home Depot. They had them on clearance about 3 years ago. I, of course, have several still new in the package. They use a cartridge system where each blade is indexed by a numbered knob on the back of the knife. The blades come to the point at a very low angle giving good reach in tight places.

Shoot me a PM and I'll send you one.

Calvin
[

Offline kreskin13

Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 02:26:54 AM
I'm with you Cman, in my job we used them all day. I had a modest collection (nothing like yours).
When I left the trades shows a couple of years ago, them angled fatties were the rage, I never cared
for them because they were just to big and bulky.

Orange and yellow regular ones were popular because they were easy to find if you dropped them or set them down.
I also like the ones were you could change the blades fast and easy, most do that now.

What was crazy to me is how many old timers still carried the box cutters that stayed open all the time! or the knife
was so old they couldn't close it anymore and they stored them "open" in their tool boxes! They said that helped
when other people tried to borrow their tools without asking!  :o

The type of knife that I use 95% of the time is a fixed blade. We have to put very heavy pressure on the knife when we use them and the fixed blade knives simply hold the blade tighter. The better ones also use a magnet to help hold the blade. My main use knife now is a fixed blade Stanley Fat Max with a quick blade change system. I like the bulk because I can get a good grip on it.

I guess I'm one of those "old timers". In a few months I'll hit 30 years on the job.  :o

Calvin
[

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 02:30:29 AM
I can't make it out...is there a screwdriver in the ass end of that knife? ???

I have a Craftsman (like yours without the black part, mine is all silver painted metal) in my toolbox.  The most solid, hard use razor knife I have.

I have a Husky folding razor knife in my car kit.  The lock is strong, but I don't trust the mechanism that holds the blade in place.  I'd much rather have a folgin knife like that, BUT with a screw holding the blade in place, not just the pressure of a piece of meral.

For work, 99% of cutting is done with what I think is an Ameriline retractable snap off blade knife.  I've used the Hyde design in the past and the lock didn't hold up for more than a day of use...then the blade slides freely...eventually wearing a hole in my back pocket... :P  The Amerilines' lock is still strong a clicky after a few months of hard use.

Now blades are intruiging me...I never knew there were SERRATED blades, or TITANIUM coated blades but then again I never looked :D

EDIT:
I've even been known to "improvise" a handle from plastic tape on the back of a razor blade :-X
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 02:32:39 AM by Corrugated »
[

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #13 on: March 07, 2008, 02:33:37 AM
My main use knife now is a fixed blade Stanley Fat Max with a quick blade change system. I like the bulk because I can get a good grip on it.

Those look nice...what is the difference between the two in your picture?
[

Offline kreskin13

Reply #14 on: March 07, 2008, 02:36:24 AM
I have that Stanley quick slide and love it above all other razor knives despite its lack blade height adjustment.

Yeah, that Stanley is nice. It is heavy but that makes it very solid.

Remember, these are only the razor knives I have at work. When I got home today I rounded up 51 more! I haven't taken pics of those because I know I have more that I haven't found yet.

With the 20 I found at work (so far) and the 51 I've found at home (so far) it means I lied when I said I have about 50! :o

Next collection I have is tape measures. I found 25 at home in about a minute. I probably have about 50 of those as well. :D

Calvin
[

us Offline Stuey

Reply #15 on: March 07, 2008, 02:37:34 AM
From the looks of it, one of his FATMAX is a fixed blade as he mentioned, and the other is a pivoting retractable.

Offline kreskin13

Reply #16 on: March 07, 2008, 02:41:43 AM
My main use knife now is a fixed blade Stanley Fat Max with a quick blade change system. I like the bulk because I can get a good grip on it.

The Fat Max on top has been my main use knife for about a year now. It is a fixed blade while the one below it is a slider.

Calvin
[

Offline kreskin13

Reply #17 on: March 07, 2008, 02:43:17 AM
From the looks of it, one of his FATMAX is a fixed blade as he mentioned, and the other is a pivoting retractable.

Excellent guess! :salute:

Calvin
[

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #18 on: March 07, 2008, 02:56:16 AM

Remember, these are only the razor knives I have at work. When I got home today I rounded up 51 more! I haven't taken pics of those because I know I have more that I haven't found yet.

With the 20 I found at work (so far) and the 51 I've found at home (so far) it means I lied when I said I have about 50! :o

Next collection I have is tape measures. I found 25 at home in about a minute. I probably have about 50 of those as well. :D

Calvin

Wow, I thought that first pic was your full collection...any pics coming of the other 51? :D

Do you have one of those Kobalt three bladed knives out of the package?  How is it?  It looks like it would be pretty bulky.

EDIT:
How do you carry that fixed blade Stanley?  Or is it more of a "static" knife where it lives on a workspace?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 02:57:49 AM by Corrugated »
[

Offline kreskin13

Reply #19 on: March 07, 2008, 02:56:41 AM
I can't make it out...is there a screwdriver in the ass end of that knife? ???

I have a Craftsman (like yours without the black part, mine is all silver painted metal) in my toolbox.  The most solid, hard use razor knife I have.

I have a Husky folding razor knife in my car kit.  The lock is strong, but I don't trust the mechanism that holds the blade in place.  I'd much rather have a folgin knife like that, BUT with a screw holding the blade in place, not just the pressure of a piece of meral.

For work, 99% of cutting is done with what I think is an Ameriline retractable snap off blade knife.  I've used the Hyde design in the past and the lock didn't hold up for more than a day of use...then the blade slides freely...eventually wearing a hole in my back pocket... :P  The Amerilines' lock is still strong a clicky after a few months of hard use.

Now blades are intruiging me...I never knew there were SERRATED blades, or TITANIUM coated blades but then again I never looked :D

EDIT:
I've even been known to "improvise" a handle from plastic tape on the back of a razor blade :-X

If you mean the Kobalt still in the package, no. It has 3 blades in it, a razor blade and serrated and PE knife blades. I'll take it out of the package tomorrow and take another pic.

Calvin
[

Offline kreskin13

Reply #20 on: March 07, 2008, 03:11:42 AM

Calvin

Wow, I thought that first pic was your full collection...any pics coming of the other 51? :D

Do you have one of those Kobalt three bladed knives out of the package?  How is it?  It looks like it would be pretty bulky.

Yes more pics are coming. I am still rounding up the ones at home. I've found the 51 so far but I know I have more. I'll take more pics when I find a few more. :think:

That Kobalt package is already opened, I just stuck it back in the package. It is bulky but it comes with a sheath. You can't see it in the pic because it is under the knife. I'll take everything out of the package tomorrow and take another pic.

The Craftsman is my current work EDC knife. It is a slider with a titanium blade in it. I use it when I don't need to use heavy pressure. I like it because it is light, relatively small and has a quick blade change system. I have changed work EDC razor knives often over the years, looking for that perfect combination of size, weight & ease of blade change.

Calvin
[

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #21 on: March 07, 2008, 03:26:33 AM
"The Ultimate Utility Knife"

That's a pretty bold statement, I've been wanting to try one myself.  Surely the Amazing Kreskin has one or two!  Thoughts?

www.superknife.com
[

Offline kreskin13

Reply #22 on: March 07, 2008, 03:39:16 AM
"The Ultimate Utility Knife"

That's a pretty bold statement, I've been wanting to try one myself.  Surely the Amazing Kreskin has one or two!  Thoughts?

www.superknife.com

Nope, try as I might, I haven't found it. It can't exist, there are too many applications for razor knives to incorporate all into one knife. That's one reason I have so many.

Throughout the shop I work in I have razor knives placed in all places where they are used a lot. Since I prefer a fixed blade knife that method works better because I don't have to carry one. My EDC knife can then be a lightweight slider which is easier and safer to carry.

The Superknife was the first of that type I had ever seen. I found it in an A.G. Russell catalog and bought it right away. It was a very heavy duty knife with the thickest blade I had ever seen but you needed an allen wrench (which it came with) to change blades. I found it today and it will be in the pics I take of the razor knives I have at home.

Calvin

« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 03:53:07 AM by kreskin13 »
[

Offline kreskin13

Reply #23 on: March 07, 2008, 03:57:16 AM
Is there anything shiney you don't collect mate ::), you must have been a magpie in a former life :D

They might not be shiny but I still have to post two of my other collections, flashlights (over 100) and tape measures (over 50)! :o

Oh, and I'm still a magpie. :D

Calvin
[

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #24 on: March 07, 2008, 06:36:47 AM

I got it from Home Depot. They had them on clearance about 3 years ago. I, of course, have several still new in the package. They use a cartridge system where each blade is indexed by a numbered knob on the back of the knife. The blades come to the point at a very low angle giving good reach in tight places.

Shoot me a PM and I'll send you one.

Calvin

PM tap dancing it's way to you
I

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: March 07, 2008, 07:45:32 AM
Wow Calvin that's allot of great knives. I like the folding type of Razor Knives and carry one for work. Here is my small collection minus a SuperKnife that's in my car and the same Gerber one you have.

* Picture 3233 (Small).jpg (Filesize: 33.95 KB)
"

Offline kreskin13

Reply #26 on: March 07, 2008, 10:51:25 AM
Yeah, that folding razor knife was one of the best ideas in a long time.

I see you have one of the mini Kobalts. That's one of my favorites because it holds extra blades in the handle.

I don't recognize the black one on the far right. Who makes it? It's tough to slip a razor knife by me that I haven't seen! :o

Calvin
[

Offline kreskin13

Reply #27 on: March 07, 2008, 11:36:59 AM
Here are some more pics of the Kobalt.

Calvin

* P3070058 20%.JPG (Filesize: 59.79 KB)

* P3070059 20%.JPG (Filesize: 52.43 KB)

* P3070060 20%.JPG (Filesize: 76.28 KB)
[

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #28 on: March 07, 2008, 12:07:59 PM

They might not be shiny but I still have to post two of my other collections, flashlights (over 100) and tape measures (over 50)! :o

Calvin

Would be great to see some flashlight collection pics.  :)
I'm back!!

Offline kreskin13

Reply #29 on: March 07, 2008, 12:28:30 PM

Calvin

Would be great to see some flashlight collection pics.  :)

I'm planning to. It's going to be a job gathering them all together though.

I did post one oddball in the flashlight section called "100+ and counting".

Calvin
[

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69