Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Razor knives

Offline kreskin13

Re: Razor knives
Reply #30 on: March 07, 2008, 09:02:52 PM
Still more razor knives.

Calvin

* P3070070_2.jpg (Filesize: 63.6 KB)

* P3070075_2.jpg (Filesize: 65.24 KB)
[

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #31 on: March 07, 2008, 10:12:20 PM
Some of those look more ergonomic than regular folders :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #32 on: March 08, 2008, 12:44:45 AM
That one with the hand guard looks a little overkill :twak:

Great collection though; my interest in razor knives has grown exponentially :ahhh
[

Offline kreskin13

Reply #33 on: March 08, 2008, 02:46:30 AM
That one with the hand guard looks a little overkill :twak:

Great collection though; my interest in razor knives has grown exponentially :ahhh

It is overkill, but helps to make a collection interesting. I really didn't want it when I got it, it came in a multi-pack with some other things I did want.

Calvin
[

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: March 08, 2008, 04:14:29 AM
I've been pondering Stanley's Folder one end Razor knife other end toolios for a while, but generally pass with reasoning that Stanley is not exactly known for their Knife blades, and for the price they are going, I could get a nice SAK.

The little black one near the top right looks interesting too.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 04:28:05 AM by Nomad »

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #35 on: March 08, 2008, 05:08:46 AM
I have a Lowes Cobalt razor knife and I really like it. The blades are very secure but also easy to replace. They've come a long way in the last few years.

Agree with ducktapehero.

I got the basic Lowes Kobalt folding razor knife about a year ago.  (Lowes also carries various Kobalt razor-blade/folding-blade combo knives with which I have no experience.)

I've used that Kobalt a lot over the past year and have grown to really like it.

The good:
+Great bang for the buck! (Only $8 including extra blades.)
+A cool looking little unit.
+Construction is very tough and durable.
+Excellent pocket clip.
+Easy one-hand opening, once it's broken in.
+Locks up really solid.
+Easy one-hand closing.
+Operates fine with work gloves.
+Quick and easy blade change system.
+Jimping on bottom of blade holder improves control.
+Suprisingly good ergonomics, given the angular handle.

The not so good:
-Possible to disengage blade retention in use, if you put your thumb in just the wrong spot on the top of the blade holder to bear down while cutting.
-Anodizing on the aluminum scales has a few flaws (but for 8 bucks overall fit and finish is pretty decent.)

N

Offline kreskin13

Reply #36 on: March 08, 2008, 07:42:43 PM
 I found 4 more at work today.

That Kobalt is a monster!

Calvin

* P3080097.jpg (Filesize: 55.03 KB)

* P3080114.jpg (Filesize: 18.35 KB)
P3080107.jpg
* P3080107.jpg (Filesize: 45.56 KB)
P3080122.jpg
* P3080122.jpg (Filesize: 55.12 KB)
[

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #37 on: March 08, 2008, 09:23:54 PM
I've carried one of these razor knives for the last 5 years at my job building Best Buys. Every time we have a fng hired on they try to do things with them that sends them to the ER to get stitched up. After that the learning curve kicks in and they use them properly. I closed my brand new Kolbalt on my thumb one night. The only thing that stopped the razor was my thumb bone.

I did pick up an 80th anniversery Craftsman knife the day after thanksgiving for 7 bucks. Got a nice sideclip on it and feels well built. I always buy Irwin blades as they seem to last longer-stay sharper.
:like:    :MTO:

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #38 on: March 08, 2008, 10:01:22 PM
Thats some collection you have there! I think i have one, somewhere, think its at home. My house mate has a decent one though if i need one here at uni. I just don't find i use them that often, but i guess you do!
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #39 on: March 08, 2008, 10:02:58 PM
I got a job as an asst manager at a Dollar General. I pulled out my trusty SAK to cut down a box and the manager of the store told me I couldn't use that. He said I had to use of the "safety razor knives" to "keep from cutting myself". It was one of those that you had to continuously push the itty bitty razor out to cut with. I told him that I have carried a SAK for over 10 years and I'd be more bound to cut myself with the safety razor because I'm not used to it.

After a couple of weeks I managed to do so. Thankfully it wasn't a bad cut but after that he said I COULD use my SAK but not to do so if the district manager was in. After that I never cut myself again. Of course I've never cut myself with my locking Lowe's Cobalt razor. I did however poke myself with it. Boy that bled but since it was so sharp it didn't really hurt too bad.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #40 on: March 08, 2008, 10:29:08 PM
I got a job as an asst manager at a Dollar General. I pulled out my trusty SAK to cut down a box and the manager of the store told me I couldn't use that. He said I had to use of the "safety razor knives" to "keep from cutting myself". It was one of those that you had to continuously push the itty bitty razor out to cut with. I told him that I have carried a SAK for over 10 years and I'd be more bound to cut myself with the safety razor because I'm not used to it.

After a couple of weeks I managed to do so. Thankfully it wasn't a bad cut but after that he said I COULD use my SAK but not to do so if the district manager was in. After that I never cut myself again. Of course I've never cut myself with my locking Lowe's Cobalt razor. I did however poke myself with it. Boy that bled but since it was so sharp it didn't really hurt too bad.

How old were you at the time? 
[

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: March 08, 2008, 10:39:38 PM
This was about 3 years ago so that would make me 33 or so.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #42 on: March 08, 2008, 10:42:19 PM
This was about 3 years ago so that would make me 33 or so.

Why would anyone tell a grown man which tool he can use at any given time? :think:

your boss must be a real joy to work with :D
[

Offline kreskin13

Reply #43 on: March 08, 2008, 11:20:39 PM
Thats some collection you have there! I think i have one, somewhere, think its at home. My house mate has a decent one though if i need one here at uni. I just don't find i use them that often, but i guess you do!

The razor knife is my baby. I make my living using it, hours a day, most days of my 30 years at my job. I am certainly not the best at a lot of things, but people come from miles around to watch me wield a razor knife. 8)

Precision cutting is required on my job and my tools are razor knife, tape measure and straight edge. Since very heavy pressure is required to cut material, I wear a cutting glove on the hand not holding the knife. If you slipped using that kind of pressure without wearing a cutting glove, it would be very ugly.

Calvin
[

Offline kreskin13

Reply #44 on: March 08, 2008, 11:42:37 PM

A safety razor knife is one type I don't have. The type of cutting I do requires a stiff, thick blade that doesn't move. That's why I must use a fixed blade knife.

That all means is that I don't need a safety knife. If you know me at all, you know that not needing something has never stopped me from buying it! So a safety knife is on my list simply because I don't have one. I've seen them for sale for many years but since, even though I can see where they could be the right tool for certain jobs, I didn't need one. There were always too many cool razor knives to buy that I could use.

I'll probably buy a pretty red one and even get some extra safety blades for it. The safety blade is a regular blade that just doesn't have a sharp point. I assume this is so you can't poke something with it very easily. These are different from those hideous "rounded edge" blades. Those horrible blades have very little practical use.  ???

Calvin
[

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #45 on: March 09, 2008, 03:59:41 AM
I think I know what you guys are talking about...is it a blunt/rounded edge razorblade in a spring loaded handle?  By spring loaded I mean you use your thumb to expose the razor, but if your thumb leaves the slider, the razor is pulled back by a spring.

I found one in a box of busted and broken razor knives at work and it was the most useless thing I've ever seen :-X
[

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: March 09, 2008, 05:00:12 AM
Why would anyone tell a grown man which tool he can use at any given time?
Businesses just want to cover their butt I guess. I figured that it would take me longer to do stuff with that razor and I got paid by the hour so I didn't care.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #47 on: March 11, 2008, 03:29:48 AM
Here's what I use every day; An American Line retractable blade.  I've been using those type of blades for about 5 years and never had one snap on me.  They are stronger than they look.  And this AMERICAN LINE knife is made in china :think:

Broken down; spare blades can be housed in that plastic holder, then slid into the knife body.

[

Offline kreskin13

Reply #48 on: March 21, 2008, 11:00:32 AM
I HAD to get this one! 8)

Calvin

* P3210128 25%.JPG (Filesize: 60.21 KB)

* P3210127 25%.JPG (Filesize: 53.85 KB)
[

Reply #49 on: March 21, 2008, 11:04:29 AM
That is an odd little knife!

Mind you the teeth on the saw look bloody intimidating :o

Offline kreskin13

Reply #50 on: March 21, 2008, 11:20:12 AM
That's why I had to get it. Here is a package shot.

Calvin

* P3210132 25%.JPG (Filesize: 98.57 KB)
[

Reply #51 on: March 21, 2008, 11:21:39 AM
It'd probably be quite handy on plaster board and stuff :)

Offline kreskin13

Reply #52 on: March 21, 2008, 11:27:51 AM

It probably is, but I let my checkbook do my drywall work! :D :D

Calvin
[

Reply #53 on: March 21, 2008, 11:29:44 AM

Calvin
Wise man, who want's a lung full of dust anyway :D

Offline kreskin13

Reply #54 on: March 21, 2008, 11:32:39 AM

Calvin
Wise man, who want's a lung full of dust anyway :D

That really is a nasty job. I pity those poor smurfs. :salute:

Calvin
[

Reply #55 on: March 21, 2008, 11:33:48 AM
Well I've done it in the past (used to be a painter and decorator) and yeah it is a bit of a crappy number at times :(

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #56 on: March 21, 2008, 08:05:25 PM
That one was posted here some time ago- I'll have to see if I can find the old thread.  I don't think it was looked on too fondly, so I'd love to hear your impressions of it!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: March 23, 2008, 06:43:50 PM
I put my SAK away today and carried my Lowe's razor knife. I love my SAK's but I could very easily EDC this too. In fact, I may do this for a while. One thing that's nice is that it's so easy to get a super sharp edge on it. And even when it's dull, it's still pretty sharp.

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: March 23, 2008, 07:07:23 PM
Hey Kreskin, how is this Kobalt razor knife(top) compared to the blue aluminum one(bottom)? I have the bottom one. I love it but the top one just looks a little nicer.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 07:10:35 PM by ducktapehero »

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #59 on: March 23, 2008, 07:14:54 PM
I'd love to see a line from Leatherman or Gerber, or one of the other top shelf manufacturers with a blade like this incorporated into it.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%