Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Taking apart a Surge

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Taking apart a Surge
on: November 29, 2006, 10:09:47 PM
I found some security Torx bits today and took apart my Surge to see how much different it would be from taking apart a SOG. The only difference between the Surge and the PowerLock is that the Surge has more stuff that comes off. The end of the handles come off and there are small washers that prevent the tools from "clumping". Other than that there nothing else.  The bottom picture is of a SOG file I had laying around to show the different cut out patterens between the tools. From what I can tell SOG and LM use the same size screw but different cut out where the tools lock so I dont think a implement from one tool can used with a another tool.
takenapartsurge.jpg
* takenapartsurge.jpg (Filesize: 36.65 KB)
takenapartsurge1.jpg
* takenapartsurge1.jpg (Filesize: 37.96 KB)
"

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Taking apart a Surge
Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 11:23:43 PM
Cool!  I love "tool autopsie" pics!

Now for teh ten thousand dollar question- how well did it go back together?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 11:40:17 PM
Putting it back together is alittle more tricky than putting a PowerLock back together.  Those little washers make things difficult.
"

Offline damota

Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 11:59:22 PM
Those little washers make things difficult.
I found the SAK tweezers from the Cybertool helped when reassembling the Gerber with it's washers. Just placed them on as I pushed the axle into place.

Dave

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 12:06:30 AM
I used the removable eyeglass screwdriver to push the washers in pace, then pushed the axle through
"

Offline bobofish

Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 12:57:25 AM
My next question is, is there any reason why a person couldn't machine an extra lock slot into one of the bit holders for 90* torqueing? Looking at my surge without having taken it apart it seems like it, and looking at your dissassembled surge looks like it too.

I mean ok, you can just bend the handles into an L to torque stuff, but it would be so much cooler if you could kind of lock the handles and the bit holder at the same time.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 02:00:46 AM
What are the little notches in the little washers for?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 02:23:41 AM
I have no idea.  Those are the ones that came between the the small driver and the other two tools.
"

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 02:41:02 AM
Hmmm. Too bad a person can't order optional replacement blades for Leatherman tools, like you can for SOG's.

Actually, now that I think of it, this seems like it would be a ripe niche market for a small enterprising knife-making company. Make specialty blades and tools for Leatherman multi-tools, package them individually along with security Torx bits and a set of instructions, and sell them by the millions!

.....hmmmm.....
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #9 on: November 30, 2006, 03:12:55 AM
J-sews Inc?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #10 on: November 30, 2006, 03:35:35 AM

Just a guess:  The notches prevent the washers from moving when an adjacent tool moves.  If the washers were free to move, they would transmit motion from one tool to another and cause "clumping" of tools.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: November 30, 2006, 03:42:39 AM
Just a guess:  The notches prevent the washers from moving when an adjacent tool moves.  If the washers were free to move, they would transmit motion from one tool to another and cause "clumping" of tools.

I wondered about that, but I didn't see what the little notches would engage to keep from rotating.  ???

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: November 30, 2006, 03:49:29 AM
I think it's time to contact LM and ask, just don't tell them I'm the one who took the tool apart :laugh:
"

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: December 06, 2006, 10:41:27 AM
Just a side note. When I put the tools back I left the slideout laynard hole attachment out.  I personally have no use for it on a tool the size and weight of the Surge. and the thing always got in way of the file and saw when closing them.
"

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: December 08, 2006, 03:36:38 AM
My next question is, is there any reason why a person couldn't machine an extra lock slot into one of the bit holders for 90* torqueing? Looking at my surge without having taken it apart it seems like it, and looking at your dissassembled surge looks like it too.

I mean ok, you can just bend the handles into an L to torque stuff, but it would be so much cooler if you could kind of lock the handles and the bit holder at the same time.

I think that would work okay......with the bit driver locked at 90 degrees, you wouldn't be able to fold the pliers up, but that shouldn't be a problem. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%