Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Balance Review

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Gerber Balance Review
Reply #30 on: November 01, 2012, 09:43:43 AM
It is ... but it is still a very nice pocket tool. Even if it turns out that it's limited to the four driver styles which come with the tool I'll still be happy with it. I would of course be even happier if it had more versatility and I wasn't worried about how to get replacement bits if/when the supplied ones wear or get damaged though.

I feel a bit guilty for cocking up the review a bit, but overall it's still worth grabbing, particularly here in the UK or anywhere else where tool choices for "normal" EDC (without good reason) can be limited.

I also checked through their advertising blurb last night, and at no point have I seen Gerber advertise this as having "replacable" bits. The hopes we pinned on the tool having 1/4" bits appears to be purely our own doing as a community, not us being misled by Gerber (which has disarmed me from tearing them a new arse crack as I had intended  :-\ )

I'll tweak the wording on the review at some point and PM you a revised version for overwriting the OP if that's OK mate  :salute:

EDIT: PM sent  :tu:
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 10:00:09 AM by 50ft-trad »

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #31 on: November 01, 2012, 07:03:12 PM
OK, the original review has been updated to cover the new information about the bit sizes. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #32 on: November 01, 2012, 07:10:08 PM
Thanks for that Gareth  :salute: Apologies to all for getting it a bit squiffy before  :oops:

Tom, don't worry mate - you're still going to love it  :tu: :D :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #33 on: November 03, 2012, 09:38:37 AM
I've found my micrometer :nanadance:

They measure 4.76mm A/F (across flats) which is 3/16" - an odd size indeed :think:

I'm still expecting a call from Gerber though ....   :whistle:

:wait:

Looks like I'll not be getting an answer  ::)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #34 on: December 06, 2012, 08:03:10 PM
great review mate.  :cheers:

Thanks Gareth,

So what colour are you getting?  :whistle:

>:D
none yet, I'm totally brassic right now. :D

.. or simply not inebriated enough last time you went online browsing   >:D When you have trouble holding your head up and start inadvertently typing with your face, that's a good time to keep away from Amazon etc ... or at least that's the conclusion I came to after buying another CS4  :rofl:

I'm very glad I took the plunge on the Balance though. It's one I had been talking myself out of for a while. Getting this and selling some other stuff was for sure the right move - though I didn't necessarily do those two in the right order  :whistle:

Well it seems I'm not quite as brassic as I though, that and Amazon have one for £34 right now. ;)  I'm not even drunk, not unless you can get pissed on coffee....can you?

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #35 on: December 06, 2012, 08:22:42 PM
great review mate.  :cheers:

Thanks Gareth,

So what colour are you getting?  :whistle:

>:D
none yet, I'm totally brassic right now. :D

.. or simply not inebriated enough last time you went online browsing   >:D When you have trouble holding your head up and start inadvertently typing with your face, that's a good time to keep away from Amazon etc ... or at least that's the conclusion I came to after buying another CS4  :rofl:

I'm very glad I took the plunge on the Balance though. It's one I had been talking myself out of for a while. Getting this and selling some other stuff was for sure the right move - though I didn't necessarily do those two in the right order  :whistle:

Well it seems I'm not quite as brassic as I though, that and Amazon have one for £34 right now. ;)  I'm not even drunk, not unless you can get pissed on coffee....can you?

Too much caffeine ... too much caffeine ... can't sit still ... I know ... I'll make coffee ... big mistake ... still cant sit still ... quick buy something ... amazon ... ebay ... amazon ... gerber ... get it ... get it ...  :rofl: :rofl:

Good score mate, £4 is a great price - about £10 less than it cost me, and mine was the best deal around at the time  :tu:

So which colour did you get mate? Mine is now starting to show some base metal. The coating is proving to be about as wear resistant as the Dime (so, not very) although it's going to have plenty of character within not many months which is always good  :D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #36 on: December 06, 2012, 08:26:17 PM
At the price I was paying I didn't have a choice, so it's the grey for me too. :)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #37 on: December 08, 2012, 04:19:39 PM
And it's here. :mail:  First impressions are good and tie in with Al's review. :cheers:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #38 on: December 08, 2012, 04:38:56 PM
Nice one mate  :tu: I'd certainly be interested in your thoughts after you've had chance to play with it a bit and given it a few days carry and use.  :)

I'm led to believe there's another Gerber fan signed up for one of these, and looking forward to their thoughts on it too  :whistle:

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #39 on: December 08, 2012, 06:44:38 PM

I'm led to believe there's another Gerber fan signed up for one of these, and looking forward to their thoughts on it too  :whistle:

Someone else is getting a Balance?  :think:  It'll be interesting to see what they think of it.  Oh, wait......  ;)
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #40 on: December 08, 2012, 08:02:25 PM
 :D

I think that just leaves Mercury and Kirky to pull their fingers out and go get one and then all the enlightened Gerberites on here will be good to go  :D :D :D

Have we missed anyone that needs a  :pok::think:  :P

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #41 on: December 08, 2012, 11:32:46 PM
Just going to add some of my pictures on the tail of Al's review. ;)

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #42 on: December 09, 2012, 09:55:24 PM
:D

I think that just leaves Mercury and Kirky to pull their fingers out and go get one and then all the enlightened Gerberites on here will be good to go  :D :D :D

Have we missed anyone that needs a  :pok::think:  :P
:ahhh :ahhh :ahhh
GET THEE BEHIND ME SATAN! :twak: :twak: :twak:

In fairness the thing thats been holding me back is the bit drivers!At work I'm very philips dependant,and I nee drivers with a fair reach as most of the screws I encounter are recessed(hence I NEEDED to back up my superduper Wave2 with my PST/SAK :rant:)
.The Bit drivers here look very much like that of the Cybertool,which,for me suffers the same problem as the Wave.

The other question is would it fit my Skinth?

All a bit moot as this months budget has already been overspent :mail:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #43 on: December 09, 2012, 10:05:53 PM
:ahhh :ahhh :ahhh
GET THEE BEHIND ME SATAN! :twak: :twak: :twak:

Sod off! People have tried catching me out like that before  ::)

:D :D

In fairness the thing thats been holding me back is the bit drivers!At work I'm very philips dependant,and I nee drivers with a fair reach as most of the screws I encounter are recessed(hence I NEEDED to back up my superduper Wave2 with my PST/SAK :rant:)
.The Bit drivers here look very much like that of the Cybertool,which,for me suffers the same problem as the Wave.

What size Phillips, John? I'd have thought the Balance and Cybertool would be OK with many #2 screws, but maybe not with #1 or smaller :think: The holder on the Balance is slightly larger than that on a Cybertool diameter wise, so if the CT doesn't work, the Balance won't be any better. The mini Phillips driver on the Fit is quite good in that respect though  :whistle:

Away from work though in an urban environment I do find it to be a nice capable legal tool   ;)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #44 on: December 15, 2012, 08:11:27 PM
Some further thoughts after carrying it for a little while. 

First up is the pocket carrying; much better than I thought it might be.  I was worried when I first got it that, as it is bigger than my normal Juice CS2, I would find it to big for my taste.  I happy to say I was wrong and that Grant and Al were right, the rounded shape really does help it sit well.

I'm not wild about the blade shape TBH,  nothing wrong with it, but it just doesn't do it for me.  I'm also not wild about the soft-ish backspring and I'm never a fan of serrated blade sections.

While I would love to of seen a bit driver that would have taken a bigger selection of bits, I actually don't have any real complaints with what it there.  The bit heads are all well formed and fit what they are made for.  Also the long holders help tackle the issue with other sliding pliers designs; namely that the body of the MT often gets in the way when using the drivers on a screw in a restricted position.  No such issues with these holders. :tu:

The scissors don't seem quite as well finished as the ones I am used to on the MP600/400 range, but they actually work very well.

Finally the pliers themselves.  I'm much more used to being able to flick the pliers on my other Gerbers, but there is nothing to really complain about with the sliding mechanism.  Very easy to open one handed and only fractionally harder to close.

I've only just this minute remembered that this tool even has tweezers so can honestly say I've not had any issues with them.  TBH, they're tweezers; what can go wrong with them? :whistle:

All-in-all a very nice package. :salute:

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #45 on: December 27, 2012, 11:27:49 PM
Aight, I'm in too.  :)  This was actually a Christmas present from a salesman I deal with at work, just got it today!  :tu:

Now unlike Al, I didn't go off doing something crazy like dismantling doors to try it out - I took apart one of the paint shakers at the store.  :D  Initial impression?  Oh, I like it.  :tu:  The driver length is nice, and they didn't feel like they were going to close on me.  The pliers, while small, work nicely, and the scissors are just fine.  The blade is decent, again though a soft backspring, but not irritatingly so.  Like mentioned above, I wish the bits were a standard size,  :(  but that's certainly not a deal-breaker with me.  For a light-duty tool it suits my needs just fine.  That coating isn't going to last all that long in my pocket, but that just gives it character.  :)  The shape makes it very comfortable for pocket carry as well.  I've had a Juice, and I just didn't get along with it.  The Balance, though, is going to be seeing a lot of service.  :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #46 on: December 28, 2012, 12:05:29 AM
Al,JD,Gareth,your a bunch of smurfs,you all really are :rant:

I couldn't take the peer pressure,I've just ordered one :facepalm:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #47 on: December 28, 2012, 12:15:19 AM

Then my work here is done.  :assimilate:   :D  I don't think you'll be disappointed.  If you are though, blame Al....  ::)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #48 on: December 28, 2012, 12:16:59 AM
Yeah, it's all Al's fault.  He made us do it. >:D

:assimilate:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #49 on: December 28, 2012, 12:17:51 AM

Then my work here is done.  :assimilate:   :D  I don't think you'll be disappointed.  If you are though, blame Al....  ::)

JD,I usually do....

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #50 on: December 28, 2012, 12:19:05 AM

At least I got my revenge on you in advance Gareth :pok:HW97?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #51 on: December 28, 2012, 12:20:37 AM

At least I got my revenge on you in advance Gareth :pok:HW97?

and believe me, that HW97 cost me a LOT more than any Gerber ever did. :cry:  Still good fun though. ;)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #52 on: December 28, 2012, 01:17:39 AM
blame Al....  ::)

Who me?  :angel:

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #53 on: December 29, 2012, 04:31:16 PM
I've been testing a very important aspect of the Balance in the past few days - fiddle factor of the pliers.  Not quite as satisfying as flicking open an MP, but the play factor is definitely there.  :tu:  It's not driving my boss completely nuts either, unlike my other OHO Gerbers.  Not sure if this is a positive or negative though....  ::)   ;)  Over the past several days though, it's becoming clear that we have a winner here.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #54 on: December 31, 2012, 04:32:12 PM
My Balance arrived this morning...well,Saturday,but it was recorded delivery.Damn quick service given the time of year.

I'm liking the pliers and the scissors.The springs on the tools are softer than I expected,even given the reviews here.Visually it's an odd one,it looks much bigger than it is,but it is wide!It won't fit my Skinth :cry:

I'll report back again tomorrow,after its had a day at work.

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #55 on: August 12, 2013, 02:01:45 PM
Soooo... Why isn't this review up on the main site, yet? There's no Balance review on there, I just noticed...  :whistle:
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #56 on: August 12, 2013, 06:32:48 PM
It isn't because it's not good enough....honest. ;)  Seriously; we have a good few things to go up and I believe this is one of them.

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Reply #57 on: August 13, 2013, 12:58:05 AM
It isn't because it's not good enough....honest. ;)  Seriously; we have a good few things to go up and I believe this is one of them.

While i have not yet gotten one, i had the chance to visit my brother and he bought a balance as his very first MT. I am very impressed with it's build and profile. In fact, if you just gave it a good flik, the plier heads can be deployed in the said fashion. Definitely one MT worth the price and the effort!. And those scissors, man are they good.
Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #58 on: August 14, 2013, 01:59:40 AM

While i have not yet gotten one, i had the chance to visit my brother and he bought a balance as his very first MT. I am very impressed with it's build and profile. In fact, if you just gave it a good flik, the plier heads can be deployed in the said fashion. Definitely one MT worth the price and the effort!. And those scissors, man are they good.

You know where this post is going, right Gabriel?  >:D  I think the Balance is a great pocket tool.  It sees a lot of carry and use by me.  My brother also recently got his first real MT, and it was a Balance.  Wonder where he got that idea from?  :think:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #59 on: August 14, 2013, 02:17:55 AM

You know where this post is going, right Gabriel?  >:D  I think the Balance is a great pocket tool.  It sees a lot of carry and use by me.  My brother also recently got his first real MT, and it was a Balance.  Wonder where he got that idea from?  :think:

And who put the idea of a Balance in your head ....  :pok: :think: :angel: :D :D :D

Talking of which .... you've not made comment on my review of the Grappler yet, Tom  :pok: I expected at least a "thanks mate, you talked me out of it" or "crap, you've done it again"  :facepalm:

:P

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24