Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

5.11 ?

Pacu · 12 · 4471

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
5.11 ?
on: October 26, 2012, 07:30:59 PM
Maxpedition is well known enough..what about 5.11?  I've heard of them but a couple weeks ago noticed Academy selling some of their stuff. The Moab 10 looks like a sturdy sling bag. Some of their other stuff looks well made too..gloves, pistol cases, CC shirts and the like. Anyone used their products? Whatcha think?
:like:    :MTO:

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Re: 5.11 ?
Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 07:59:47 PM
I have two pair of Taclite pants from them and I bought a range bag from them that a friend of mine got to carry his huge load of guns and ammo and the quality is top notch. I convinced the rescue team that I am a part of to buy our new uniforms from 5.11 and everyone agreed that it was a good choice since the quality is really good.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

us Offline stealth007s

• I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 10:58:21 PM
I really like their clothes as well. Never owned a bag from them and I was wondering the same thing.

Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 01:02:08 AM
The only part that me and my friend would change on the range bag he got is the carriers on the shoulder harness, they should have been made of metal instead of plastic to prevent noise when carrying heavy load.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 04:52:02 AM
For their pouches, if they work in your configuration, go with them- I have a bunch of their waterbottle carriers, and I love them. Non-magazine pouches are where a lot of people seem to slack off, and while these are similar in many regards to one of Tactical Tailor's water bottle carriers the price used to be much lower. Even now I'd still call them one of the best bangs (sloshes?) for the buck in the class. Their LBE holster I like as well, and while their ammo carriers aren't inspired, they just have to be rugged and snag free. The only pouches from them I've looked at that didn't do anything for me were their cell phone pouches, and I don't like anyone's cell phone pouches.

The thumbdrive holder is feels kind of gimmicky to me, but I have the same reaction to the BHI Serpa.

Their bags... I've not be as happy with. It has nothing to do with fit and finish, I just don't find their yoke system on the RUSH packs to be comfortable. It does not fit me well, the pack rides lower than I'd like and there is no way to fix it. I've looked at their PUSH back and some of their others- very much inspired by Maxped, and I have a special hatred of mesh waterbottle pockets. The fit and finish are very good, but the material feel lighter and I do prefer a more robust feeling outter skin on my packs. The MOABs I haven't had a chance to try yet, but the CCW pocket is inspired- I think in professional circles they might snag some market from Maxped and even give the SOTech Mission Bag some competion if the materials hold up over time. 

I also haven't tried the Triad, but I want that thing out there for a while before I even start to take it serious.

Their chest harness I was a little mixed on, particularly considering that Steve Lamb is part of their design team- he's as wide in the shoulders as I am, and I think it was too narrow. I've still got it some where waiting to be turned into a thigh rig...
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 05:45:37 PM
If you want to see some 5.11 Tactical gear in person, visit a Gander Mountain store.  They have begun stocking a lot of 5.11 gear.  I bought a 5.11 Operator belt there and was given a free metal water bottle.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 02:50:32 AM
5.11 Taclite pants are the best ever made.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 04:37:16 PM
Their bags and pouches are great value for the buck , and hold up well . I'm not too struck on the pants , tho I own about half a dozen pairs . I wear their shirts almost all the time , well designed , superb build quality . Their new line of lights aren't too shabby either . All their gear is very well backed .

Chris

us Offline Pacu

Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 05:38:48 PM
I picked up a Moab 10 from 5.11 off Amazon a couple days ago.

Looks like this is gonna be my travel/carry on bag for the now. Schedule dropped this week for Corpus Christi, Brownsville, some mississippi and other backwater towns around the south. Lots of travel for a while.

Academy has a huge 5.11 end cap with lots of their goodies on it, pistol cases, sheaths and the like. Thing is you can get any colour you want as long as it's black.  :-\
Amazon had sandstone.

>:D You get free 2 day shipping if you sign up for amazon prime trial with a credit card. I paided with a visa gift card so they couldn't auto enroll me at the end of 30 days (79 bucks).  >:D >:D

Looks and feels to be very well made. Lots of pockets. Fits me well as i'm 6'5 250 lbs /114 kilos.

I'll give more feedback as i wear it in a bit. So far it's a  :tu:

us Offline Pacu

Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 05:18:56 AM
i got it loaded for tomorrows travel to south texas. Loaded 2 tablets, all the charging cables, my hoodie, hotel papers, daytimer, pens, wave, asprin and i'll prob swing by the store in the morning and add some snacks to it.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 08:53:04 PM
5.11 seem to have a lot of fans, though they are very pricey here sadly.  Looking forward to hearing how you get along with it. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Pacu

Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 08:59:05 PM
Took it on board the aircraft carrier museum , the uss lexington down in corpus christi yesterday. Carried my camera, jacket, and some paperwork . Some areas in the ship got tight and I had to walk hunched over due to being a tall man in a short mans navy. :facepalm:
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 09:00:43 PM by Pacu »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69