Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

When you started 'carrying'

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
When you started 'carrying'
on: December 06, 2006, 04:41:58 AM
What was the first multi tool you started carrying every day?  Was it the full blown pliers in a sheath, or did you start out with something smaller like a SAK?

I remember years ago seeing a near flat tire on my car one COLD SNOWY and DARK morning and figured I'd shovel out and roll slowly around the block to the gas station to use their air pump.  I pull up, put money in the pump, and then realize the valve cap on the tire was stuck shut.  I tried until the machine stopped pumping, then walked home down the COLD SNOWY and DARK street to get a pair of pliers :-X

Ever since then I've had pliers in my car (now a Gerber and a whole lot of stuff accumulated in the trunk..crowbar..shovel..misc tools...). 

But back on the actual tool subject...I've been putting off the whole pliers/sheath thing...I've carried a SAK for years...now a SAK and a Squirt...and I got a feeling after I get a SOG off ebay or somewhere it's going to be on my hip 8)
[

Offline Lion

Re: When you started 'carrying'
Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 05:20:13 AM
I've carried a pocket knife of some sort since I was 5 or 6. Probably got my first SAK when I was about 10. Got a Supertool as a gift in 1998 or 1999 and have been carrying a plier based tool since. I still carry a pocket knife or 2 or 3 as well, but the plier based tools are just too handy not to carry. I normally carry a Charge or a KF4, but that's mostly because of Leatherman's diamond file. File aside, a Squirt and a SAK would cover most of my needs. Going smaller does have its advantages too and I often wish I could do it. I just miss the file too much.

Leo

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 05:32:59 AM
I wish Vic would put diamond dust on their file on the Mountaineer, SwissChamp, Cybertool 41, & Expedition kit.

My first multitool was the original Leatherman (early 80's).  I never liked SAK's when I was a kid (in the 60's & 70's) - always thought the other scouts who carried them were geeks.  I just had my regular scout knife with the can opener, small blade, & large blade.  My first real knife was a Buck fixed blade of some sort, & then the Buck folders came out & I had to have one of those.  I never carried a Leatherman all the time back when they first came out, although I always had one in a bag.  I didn't start carrying all the time until I got back into fishing a few years ago.  Now I don't leave the house without a SAK & a multitool at least.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 05:40:20 AM by Tom Munch »

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 06:26:29 AM
If I remember right... I started carrying around age 8 or 9.  My parents bought me a Shrade Scout knife that I still have around here somewhere.  Since then I've always carried a knife. 

I started carrying a multi a few years ago when my dad bought me the beloved Shrade Tough "to open" Tool.  I stopped carrying a multi for a while, but started up again when I saw the Xtract.  While looking for info on it, I found this site... and now I have more multi's than any one person needs...
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Offline bobofish

Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 09:48:21 AM
My parents never let me get a swiss army knife or anything like it...then in college i didn't have any money for a Leatherman...but I did carry a Wenger something or other. (longish blade, can opener, bottle opener, flathead, phillips and an awl) until I got a micra. For the last 6 or 7 years I've only been separated from my micra when it's been lost and thankfully always found.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 11:50:07 AM
I got my first SAK, a Camper, when I was 5.  I didn't get a multitool until my knife dealer took a PST II in a trade and offered it to me at a great price, sometime in the late '90's.  Almost immediately after that I bought a Micra, then a friend was impressed with them, but had to do one better so he got a SwissTool.  Then I went on hiatus for a few years when I got married and dealt with other problems and started up with SAKs again about 3 or 4 years ago, and multis about a year or two ago.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 12:09:45 PM
My first multitool was a Geber MultiLite, a use to carry a Gerber EZ Out before that but the guys at work thought I would get more use out of something with tools on it, after that I got my LM wave, the rest is as you say...history.

David

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 05:25:36 PM

Starting carrying a Leatherman multitool in 1991.  Carried only lockbacks, pocket knives, and keychain screwdrivers before that.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%