Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Well that was scary ....

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Well that was scary ....
on: November 13, 2012, 05:45:10 AM
... I must be getting to "that age"  :facepalm:

I was stood outside earlier about 9:30(ish??) having a smoke, and all of a sudden it felt like my heart stopped and I went all woozy. My chest cavity felt empty as though my heart was no longer there. I checked my pulse ... still ticking but faint ... other arm even more faint ... definitely something in my neck though. I felt a bit silly - as you do - and figured it would pass, but 30 mins later no change. I thought I'm too young for this crap - I must just be really tired or something, but part of me started panicking - yet my pulse didn't quicken or grow stronger. That bit didn't make sense, and in itself got me concerned!!

I phoned the NHS Helpline to make sure it didn't sound like anything scary to them, and they said they could get someone to phone me back sometime in the next 8 hours (WHAT!!!) which would have meant sitting up all night feeling nervous. I told them not to bother, and if they didn't think it was urgent enough for me to go in, I wasn't going to sit up all night waiting for a phone call, so I went to bed. My heart still felt like it wasn't there, and I was very dithery. If anything my pulse felt even weaker as I laid there, and getting dressed again was a task I had to undertake with care and deliberation. Part of me was thinking this must be nothing, but the other part didn't want to go to sleep - it wanted to know. That's the part that won, there was no way I could sleep like this!

I eventually called a taxi, went direct to A&E and told them how I felt. I don't do this whole "ill" thing, and had to stop and think when they asked me the name of my Doctor  :think: I moved into this house 6 months ago, and haven't found another doctor yet - was never a consideration, and haven't been to the old one for about 4 years (and then about 6 years prior to that). Just the fact I went to A&E without bits actually falling off me is one for the books. I felt silly doing it VERY silly, I mean it's not like they haven't got better more genuine stuff to deal with than me and some random whimsical worry  ::)

They didn't seen to share my self-deprication, and not long after I was having pulse, blood pressure and ECG done, then other physical tests followed by blood tests for dehydration, cardiac damage, thyroid dysfunction, infection, etc etc asprin, nitro under the tongue, and painkillers were taken too.

All clear - PHEW!!! No idea what brought that little episode on, but nothing immediate thankfully. They did drop the bombshell after the ECG that there is a type of heart attack that an ECG can't detect - but the blood work showed all clear and eliminated that too. So it's two weeks of asprin, a diary of any further events, and instruction to phone an ambulance immediately in the event of (insert list here).

I'm not even 40 yet, but they took it all very seriously  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh Maybe the fact my Grandfather died before he was 50 when his heart actually ruptured, about 9 months after his second bypass operation had something to do with it  :think:  ;) I honestly went there expecting (hoping actually) they'd laugh at me and send me home with some patronising minor ailment to feel a bit silly about mentioning, not 5 hours of seriousness. I got back in the house about 3:15am not really sure how to feel about it all (which is why I've typed this). One thing is for certain though, I'll be stopping up till it's time to go to work, driving in and handing over the keys and going home to bed!!

I feel silly for having gone now, and I feel VERY silly typing all this here (but I had to as I'm trying to get my head round it), although I suppose I'd have felt even sillier if I hadn't have gone and had woken up dead  :D If I do end up having an actual heart attack over the next few days, I want to be sure I see the same staff. That hot blonde nurse who did the preliminary checks, and the even hotter blonde Doctor that did the rest could kick start my ticker instantly :drool: :drool: :drool: Apologies for not getting pics for the woman thread though - they'd have been bookmark worthy for sure  :P

I felt seriously bad before I went, and the act of getting dressed and stringing a coherent sentence together was a challenge - so what all that was about I've no idea (although the turning point did seem to be the under tongue squirty - which has me slighty worried). All I can say is hooray for the NHS .... and hot women in uniforms  :salute:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Re: Well that was scary ....
Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 06:26:28 AM
MUCH, MUCH better to be sure than sorry.  You did the right thing, that's certain.

Hope you are 100% soon.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline stealth007s

• I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Well that was scary ....
Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 06:36:35 AM
Hope your feeling better. I'll say a prayer for you before bed. Also, you can't wake up dead

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 08:52:18 AM
glad to hear it was nothing major (as far as you know, I guess), and hope you're back to 100% very soon.  :salute:

I had a similar episode back in March, and I'm only 31.  I had my wife drive me to the ER, was there for about 3 hours, and felt pretty sheepish about the whole thing when I left.  :-[  luckily, the doctors kept reassuring me that I had done the right thing by coming in -- sounds like you did too.

but don't feel silly for typing it all up here.  :P  I can definitely understand how it can be therapeutic, and you'll get nothing but support around here.  :tu:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 09:09:38 AM
Glad it turned out ok mate, ive had a few problems over the last 4 years and some put me in hospital for a while so glad yours was ok, although i treat going into hospital as a little holiday  :D

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 09:57:59 AM
You did the right thing checking in with NHS. I've had friends of friends being hospitalized for observation on cause of stress related heart ailments, and they were around 30.

And no, it's not silly typing about your experience, it's healthy. Telling someone about something that worries one, activates stress reducing hormones, so it's perfectly natural that almost everybody feels better after relating a stressful experience to somebody.  :tu:

Anyway, glad to hear you weren't put on strong medications or hospitalized.

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 11:17:58 AM
Bad Al for not going straight to the hospital  :twak: :twak: :twak:

Glad everything is OK mate  :tu: :tu: , was your heart rate normal ie between 60-120bpm & regular  :think: :think:. Al was your BP ok  :think: :think:.

Maybe you should get yourself a regular GP mate  :pok: :pok: :pok: :pok: :pok: :pok: :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 11:47:58 AM
being a 'hero' and NOT going to the hospital would have been much sillier !
the NHS (which isn't free BTW, you've been paying for it even though you might not have used it much) is there for people who need help ! and a potential heart attack counts as needs checking out dude, i doubt anyone of the doc/nurses thought you were wasting their time (they spend most fri/saturday nights dealing with drunks for gods sake!)
glad all is well mate but take care of yourself and go see the Doc if you NEED to !!!

and ~ FYI the first thing they're gunna tell you is "NO MORE SMOKES !" they will blame an ingrowing toenail on smoking if they can, you'll get no sympathy even if you're bleeding from every orifice till you denounce the devil nicotine !
and if you're approaching 40 mate, prepare yourself that every time you visit a 'health-care professional', you'll probably be told to "give up" something else you enjoy  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 11:54:32 AM by Taxi Dad »

gb Offline kitbeard

Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 12:36:05 PM
I agree with the last post.  I was in A&E with a suspected heart attack five years ago and I'd say it was the least fun I've ever had.  However, in a much bigger way than this, I've just had the consequences of a heart attack brought home to me.

On Saturday about 11.30am, my wife and I were coming back home from a short walk and saw an emergency, first responder vehicle turning on to our close, shortly followed by an ambulance.  Turns out that my next door but one neighbour had had a heart attack and unfortunately as a result, she died early this morning.  She was a smoker but she was only sixty-two. 

This is the sort of thing that really, really hits home and, although I hate hospitals, I think getting any heart issues checked out is much the best chance for avoiding what happened two doors up the close on Saturday.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 12:59:02 PM
Sounds scary mate.  I know what you mean when you say you don't want to look "silly" and make a fuss but there is no doubt you did the right thing.  Hope all goes well and take it easy.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ph Offline Teofilo

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 02:09:11 PM
50ft-trad, just quit

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 02:14:13 PM
As long as you never sell your toys, smoke, drink or be close to toxic chemicals and pretty women again you should be Ok..
 :D

All the best Al!!  :cheers:
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 03:01:00 PM
Cheers guys  :cheers: I do feel less silly now I've woken up.

Bad Al for not going straight to the hospital  :twak: :twak: :twak:

Glad everything is OK mate  :tu: :tu: , was your heart rate normal ie between 60-120bpm & regular  :think: :think:. Al was your BP ok  :think: :think:.

Maybe you should get yourself a regular GP mate  :pok: :pok: :pok: :pok: :pok: :pok: :D

Pulse around 75 and BP below 140/90, which for someone going through something a little scary ain't so bad I suppose. I think they might have got higher if I'd sat at home worrying instead of going in though :ahhh You're probably right on the GP Mat

You did the right thing checking in with NHS. I've had friends of friends being hospitalized for observation on cause of stress related heart ailments, and they were around 30.

I think stress is the biggie for me, and I have been thinking for a week or two about making a few changes anyway. This has certainly reaffirmed it for me, and my work situation isn't doing me any favours. Of all my lifestyle elements, I think this one needs to be bumped up the to do list

As long as you never sell your toys, smoke, drink or be close to toxic chemicals and pretty women again you should be Ok..
 :D

All the best Al!!  :cheers:

Now that would get me stressed  :D

Thanks again folks  :salute:

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #13 on: November 13, 2012, 03:48:36 PM
As a smoker, you're at much higher risk of heart attack and cardiac arrhythmias.  You may actually have an intermittent arrhythmia, such as PVCs or intermittent atrial flutter.  THAT is why they want you to keep track of new events and report in if it occurs again.

They have not ruled out cerebrovascular disease either (which can be perceived in a similar way).

Don't blow off repeat or new symptoms. 

us Offline stealth007s

• I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #14 on: November 13, 2012, 04:03:10 PM
I almost forgot that I had an episode similar the day after Christmas last year. Hope you're feeling better

Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #15 on: November 13, 2012, 04:50:13 PM
Sounds scary mate.  I know what you mean when you say you don't want to look "silly" and make a fuss but there is no doubt you did the right thing.  Hope all goes well and take it easy.

You can survive looking silly.  It's hard to survive dying.  Besides, just imagine how silly you will look when they find you lying on the front step, cig in hand, burnt down to your fingers, clutching your heart and hoping someone finds you before you wet yourself.  Take the lesser of two evils...

A couple of years ago a forum member who shall remain nameless (although I'm sure many of you will recognize him) felt really bad in the middle of the night, decided not to wake his wife or daughter, drove himself to the hospital and collapsed in the parking lot without even making it into the ER.  Luckily someone spotted him drop and help was almost immediate.  He's still with us today thankfully, but it could have gone very VERY badly for him.  As it is, I'm surprised his wife didn't kill him when she woke up and found out what had happened.

Don't muck about with your health.  If you cut yourself you can decide whether to go to the hospital or enjoy a hideously oversized scar, but when it comes to organ or other internal issues, better get it checked out.

A number of years ago I just assumed the major pain in my lower back was nothing serious.  Then while out to brunch with a friend of mine I went to the men's room and... well, it was bright orange.  That seemed really bad to me so I paid the cheque, drove the friend home then went home myself to shower and change, then went to the hospital.  In hindsight I probably should have just gone straight there, especially since my wife became very interested in the problem while I was getting dressed.   :facepalm:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #16 on: November 13, 2012, 08:17:41 PM
Glad it turned out well and that you're OK mate..  :mail: :salute: :salute: Quitting smokes might be the one of the best choices you make in life..  ;)

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: November 13, 2012, 09:45:34 PM
Sorry Al,but I need to add my voice to this one,mostly as the voice of experiance.

I dont much like doctors,and hate,really really hate injections.If I'd maned up a bit,I might not have had a Doc phoning me,telling me I had 2 weeks to live(no,I'm not making that up,and I later found out that the 2 weeks was over optimistic)....

As things played out,and ten years on I'm still here,but nearly repeated the experiance with blood presure issues...

If in doubt,go see the quack!!!!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: November 13, 2012, 10:38:48 PM
Thanks again folks  :cheers: I've slept a lot today, from handing over works keys till early afternoon, then again till about 7pm ish, and I'm just about ready to turn in again. I'm certainly feeling much better for it too. I'm pretty sure this was all stress related now, and it's time to start thinking about how to do things differently. Cheers for your thoughts and words of wisdom, they've not gone unheard  :salute:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #19 on: November 13, 2012, 10:43:01 PM
I'm glad you're feeling better now. :cheers:

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #20 on: November 14, 2012, 04:26:38 AM
You did not fill out the necessary forms for the two week notice of intent to terminate your living existence. We'd have been pissed if you died without authorization.

"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%