Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I have ideas for my Charge TTI, but how do I mod it

Offline Schwibsi

on: November 20, 2012, 04:26:55 PM
Hello,

I bought a black Leatherman Surge and a Charge TTI from the US.
Had to send both in for service because they had some construction issues (no oil, mechanisms not working properly, pliers poorly aligned)
The Charge TTI is back and it is almost perfectly made. Only the locking mechanism for the straight blade is not as snappy as the on the other tools.

After a day of playing with it, I found that the Charge is not 100%, what I want.

What I would like is the following
Replace:
1. Baby-Scissors with an awl
2. Replace the wood-saw with a Surge-esque pair of Scissors
3. Replace the file with a Surge-esque holder, for file, wood and metal saw (the blades and the file would of course be too long,
4. Maybe replace the mini screw driver with removable tweezers, a needle and maybe a mini pen. (The mini screw drivers could be added a Leatherman bits)
5. Add a carbide glass breaker on the bottom.

While 4. and 5. aren't really important to me and I wouldn't pursue making such modifications, the first 3 would really make the Charge my SuperCharge and make me very happy. Would that be doable?
Also, I'll definitely polish the blades and the saw. The finish Leatherman does does not look too nice
Oh, and I would like more rounded backs on the blades so the tool feels nicer. I'll take a file to the Charge to take care of that.

You may say now, well: Just take a Surge and all your wishes have been granted. While I really like the look of the Surge, it is a little to heavy to always carry in my pocket. Also, to me the Charge feels a lot better made than the Surge.
A metal saw, a decent pair of scisssors and an awl would be very useful to me. So I don't know what to do, go with the Surge and take the bullet on weight, or find a way to modify the Charge to have it all.

ca Offline Metropolicity

• No Life Club
  • Hack Virtuoso
Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 03:08:20 AM
Hello,

I bought a black Leatherman Surge and a Charge TTI from the US.
Had to send both in for service because they had some construction issues (no oil, mechanisms not working properly, pliers poorly aligned)
The Charge TTI is back and it is almost perfectly made. Only the locking mechanism for the straight blade is not as snappy as the on the other tools.

After a day of playing with it, I found that the Charge is not 100%, what I want.

What I would like is the following
Replace:
1. Baby-Scissors with an awl
2. Replace the wood-saw with a Surge-esque pair of Scissors
3. Replace the file with a Surge-esque holder, for file, wood and metal saw (the blades and the file would of course be too long,
4. Maybe replace the mini screw driver with removable tweezers, a needle and maybe a mini pen. (The mini screw drivers could be added a Leatherman bits)
5. Add a carbide glass breaker on the bottom.

While 4. and 5. aren't really important to me and I wouldn't pursue making such modifications, the first 3 would really make the Charge my SuperCharge and make me very happy. Would that be doable?
Also, I'll definitely polish the blades and the saw. The finish Leatherman does does not look too nice
Oh, and I would like more rounded backs on the blades so the tool feels nicer. I'll take a file to the Charge to take care of that.

You may say now, well: Just take a Surge and all your wishes have been granted. While I really like the look of the Surge, it is a little to heavy to always carry in my pocket. Also, to me the Charge feels a lot better made than the Surge.
A metal saw, a decent pair of scisssors and an awl would be very useful to me. So I don't know what to do, go with the Surge and take the bullet on weight, or find a way to modify the Charge to have it all.

You'll want to take look at my Commander project in the mod squad, it's pretty much exactly what you are describing and MORE!
Why stop now?

Visit the whole Skinth family here: http://www.skinthsolutions.com

Keep up with The Skinths on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SkinthSolutions

Shapeways - Metro's Q-branch:
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/metro-qbranch

PayPal: metrogradegoods [at} gmail. com

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: I have ideas for my Charge TTI, but how do I mod it
Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 08:15:59 AM
Welcome to the forum mate  :cheers: I'm sure you will get all the answers to your modding needs here  :tu:

Offline Schwibsi

Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 08:38:46 AM
Thanks for the welcome Zed...
Can't get Pulp Fiction out of my head now.
"Who's Chopper is this?"
"Zed's"
"Who's Zed?"
"Zed's dead, Baby. Zed's dead"

@ Metropolcity

Wow! F*** awesome! Who would have thought that someone else had the exact same idea!?
I guess the Greeks were right! Every thought has been thought by somebody else before ;-)
Where do I sign up?
Pity I lack the machines and the skills to make those modifications. But knowing that it exists is a relief. If at any point you want to sell yours or feel the urge to make another one, please think of me. :-)

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 08:41:50 AM
Lol I'm very alive lol oddly though my nickname comes from the z1000 i rode many years ago  :tu:

Offline Schwibsi

Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 08:46:21 AM
So no chopper ;-)
I'm kinda disappointed. You might look into getting one.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 09:00:07 AM
So no chopper ;-)
I'm kinda disappointed. You might look into getting one.

sadly no chopper lol you never know one day  :tu: get your self ib the new members section and say hi we are a friendly lot here  :salute:

Offline Schwibsi

Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 11:16:45 AM
Cheers.. Will do :-)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05