Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What is it and how do I get it off?

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
on: December 28, 2012, 11:50:58 PM
I have to be very quick as my computer is about to die. Just wondering what this green buildup is and the easiest way to remove it. I'm not real sentimental about this watch so if it gets scratched up its fine, but would like to get the buildup off. I'm thinking a "chemical attack" first, but I have no idea what to use. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm the milk man!

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Re: What is it and how do I get it off?
Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 12:03:08 AM
I guess this watch has a brass alloy casing which is chrome or nickel plated. Sweat will cause small pores in the plating and the base metals oxidation/corrosion products will form teh builup.

I´d start soft with autosol and a cloth, maybe followed by Autosol (or your favourite metal polish) and 00 grade steel wool.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 12:07:24 AM
Thanks for the advice. I honestly do not have any of the materials to do that with. I was hoping to find a "home remedy" for this.
I'm the milk man!

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 12:56:08 AM
Home remedy? Syrup or molasses overnight, perhaps. Sugar is a chelating agent. (Disclaimer: I haven't tried it myself.)

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 01:32:59 AM
If it's brass verdigris as lowtech suggested, I believe lemon juice and salt (combined) work well ... but not sure how badly that'll wreck the chrome  :think:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 06:33:50 AM
Depends on how much you care about the watch. If not too much some fine brass wire brush should take care of that pretty quick without scratching everything up.

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 10:06:21 AM
I am sorry, as i do have a small Motorcycle (Hobby) Shop, Metal polish is something i think of as a "home remedy"

As i think the stuff is only on the backside, a few hair scratches won´t do no harm.
You can try Aluminium foil , crushed to a ball, as a scrapüer, combined with some water and dishwashing liquid.

I would advise against salt and vinegar as long as you do not know what metals are used exactly, you could accelerate corrosion.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 10:13:19 AM
I am sorry, as i do have a small Motorcycle (Hobby) Shop, Metal polish is something i think of as a "home remedy"

As i think the stuff is only on the backside, a few hair scratches won´t do no harm.
You can try Aluminium foil , crushed to a ball, as a scrapüer, combined with some water and dishwashing liquid.

I would advise against salt and vinegar as long as you do not know what metals are used exactly, you could accelerate corrosion.

I wish I had a shop.   :cry:   I'm not to worried about scratching up the backside of this watch. I just wan't that crap gone so I can actually wear it again. I agree with not using the salt and vinegar as I have no idea what materials where used and i'm sure there on the cheap side since they got this bad in the first place. I will update you guys if anything good happens. Thanks again everyone.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 10:22:19 AM
I sometimes whish i had never started renting  shop space...

But i understand you very well. A small shop does not only come in handy, it has become my sanctuary where i can shut the door and leave the daily rat race behind for a few hours.
Althouh, at times it´s quite stressful there, too when all the Guys you know realize it´s spring at the same weekend and ask you to do a "quick check" to their bike....

Back to topic:

What kind of watch is it, we are taliking about?

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 09:59:54 PM
A little back story: I owned a Cadillac years back and was getting it serviced. They had this watch for sale in the display case inside the customers area. I was clueless about watches and figured what the hell. I cannot find a manufacturer it just has a Cadillac symbol where the manufacturer name would normally be. There is nothing referring to the maker on the caseback. With that said it ran great and seems like a decent watch which is why I want to get it running (new battery) and cleaned up.

I will take a picture now and post it in a few minutes.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 10:08:54 PM

I'm the milk man!

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 09:02:31 PM
I understand why you would want to restore the watch, looks like a decent timepiece.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 09:43:16 PM
Think I might give it a go today.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #13 on: December 31, 2012, 05:43:22 PM
Try something simple first such as baking soda and a toothbrush.
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 07:41:04 PM
Toothpaste might be a good solution.  It is abrasive enough to remove stubborn dirt, but it is safe enough to use on your teeth, so I would think it would be safe enough to use on metal. 
Tick Magnet

ca Offline wndrstrck

• Leatherman, GEC, SOG, Parker
Reply #15 on: January 14, 2013, 10:47:32 PM
I guess this watch has a brass alloy casing which is chrome or nickel plated. Sweat will cause small pores in the plating and the base metals oxidation/corrosion products will form teh builup.

Unfortunately some of us, myself included, have acrid enough sweat to eat right through nickel/chrome plating!

While it may be possible to clean up the current damage, it will however remove more of the nickel/chrome plating that is meant to protect the base metal case of the watch. I had a really nice Fossil watch I bought a number of years ago that had similar damage and just got progressively worse until I could no longer remove the back. One way to stop damage would be to wear the watch head on a Bund type strap that keeps the back of the watch off your wrist.
bund.jpg
* bund.jpg (Filesize: 8.57 KB)
"To be prepared is half the victory" Miguel de Cervantes

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25