Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The hero of Canton, the man they call Jayne!

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Re: The hero of Canton, the man they call Jayne!
Reply #30 on: November 29, 2012, 01:53:01 AM
I'm not saying I'm the biggest Firefly/Serenity fan here, but I did co-author a supplement to Serenity Role Playing Game (Six-Shooters and Spaceships). Which also means i got to give official canonical names to a bunch of the space ships in the Firefly Universe. http://www.amazon.com/Serenity-Six-Shooters-Spaceships-Role-Playing/dp/1931567816/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353956622&sr=8-1&keywords=six-shooters+%26+spaceships

Feel free to let me know when I've milked that for all the nerd-cred it can produce.

Also...

"It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of him was one kind of sommb!tch or another. Ain't about you Jayne. 'Bout what they need."

It was a little weird to me, watching Firefly. In the mid 80's, I was into all kinds of absolutely obscure black-and-white indy comics. One of my favorites was 'The Tick' (which has since also been a cartoon and short-lived live-action series). Fast forward to when Firefly came out, and there's 'Ben Edlund' as writer for 'Jaynestown'. I think he was also co-writer of the episode 'Trash'.
LOL!  :D 

Tick was great, until it got all commercialized... :P

As for obscure comics, Lynn, you ever read one back in the 90's called "Moonknight"?  It was a Marvel "Batman" clone, but the thing that made it great was the art.  A guy named Bill Sencowizc (sp?) was the artist, and he did all this really cool watercolor style work on it, lots of blending, splatters, and the like.  I think it died after only about 40 issues though.

Oh, and Trash was a great episode, one of my favorites!  Jaynestown is still my favorite (mostly) funny episode, and my overall fave FF episode is The Message.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #31 on: November 29, 2012, 04:55:08 AM
I read earlier versions of Moon Knight, but not the 90's series. I LOVE Bill Sienkiewicz. Don't feel bad on the spelling. I had to look it up myself. I was a fan of his run on New Mutants (had a subscription). Every now and then, I see his art on the cover of a paperback. Instantly recognizable to me. I might be able to tell 15-20 unique artists. He's one.

As for favorite ep. Eeesh... Hard call for me. I liked all of them to a degree, although 'Heart of Gold' is probably least favorite, regardless of it having a few great one-liners.

I had to tell my friend's son who Moon Knight was when he came up as a playable character in the Marvel Ultimate Alliance video game.

You know that nerd-core moment, when you're sitting watching the end of the Avengers movie, and you ACTUALLY know the villain teaser? Yeah, that's me. :D

EDIT: here's a link to his cover art work for ya...
http://marvel.wikia.com/Category:Bill_Sienkiewicz/Cover_Artist
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 05:00:54 AM by Lynn LeFey »

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: December 02, 2012, 08:59:56 AM
I read earlier versions of Moon Knight, but not the 90's series. I LOVE Bill Sienkiewicz. Don't feel bad on the spelling. I had to look it up myself. I was a fan of his run on New Mutants (had a subscription). Every now and then, I see his art on the cover of a paperback. Instantly recognizable to me. I might be able to tell 15-20 unique artists. He's one.

As for favorite ep. Eeesh... Hard call for me. I liked all of them to a degree, although 'Heart of Gold' is probably least favorite, regardless of it having a few great one-liners.

I had to tell my friend's son who Moon Knight was when he came up as a playable character in the Marvel Ultimate Alliance video game.

You know that nerd-core moment, when you're sitting watching the end of the Avengers movie, and you ACTUALLY know the villain teaser? Yeah, that's me. :D

EDIT: here's a link to his cover art work for ya...
http://marvel.wikia.com/Category:Bill_Sienkiewicz/Cover_Artist
It might have been the early 80's stuff I had... I honestly can't remember it that well.  It was around the time I dropped out of HS, so that would have placed it then.   :whistle:  It was in a move sometime in my early 20's that my entire comics collection disappeared somewhere, I know not.  To this very day I lament it's loss.  I had a LOT of stuff that would be very valuable today; several no. 1's, several no. 100's, 200's, etc. of things like X-men, Avengers, Thor, Fantastic Four, Moon Knight, and so on.  Heck, I even had a full set of the short lived Alpha Flight! 

And yes, I agree, Sienkiewicz is one of only a handful of artists where you can tell who it is right away just from the style.  Wasn't Bill Kirby the first?  LOL!!!  (Dramatic pose with arm extended and hand pointing toward the viewer!)  My all-time favorite comics artist was John Byrne... he did some amazing stuff... there was an inker at Marvel who worked with Byrne a lot that I can't remember the name of off the top of my head, but the two of them together were the Lennon and McCartney of comic art...  Their renditions of the Scarlett Witch burned an indelible pattern into my brain, and created a template for my preferences for many years to follow!   :whistle:
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #33 on: December 02, 2012, 05:34:07 PM
Heck, I even had a full set of the short lived Alpha Flight!  (snip)

My all-time favorite comics artist was John Byrne... he did some amazing stuff... there was an inker at Marvel who worked with Byrne a lot that I can't remember the name of off the top of my head, but the two of them together were the Lennon and McCartney of comic art...  Their renditions of the Scarlett Witch burned an indelible pattern into my brain, and created a template for my preferences for many years to follow!   :whistle:

I also loved Alpha Flight. I did a short gig as a comic book colorist in the early 90's for a small press comic company. The guy who ran the company got John Byrne to do the cover art for one book, and I got to do the colors on it. When we met him at a convention to pick up the piece, we were talking about his work, and I mentioned that I had a subscription to Alpha Flight. He said 'Oh, you're the OTHER one.' Apparently, sales weren't exactly stellar on that title. LOL

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #34 on: December 02, 2012, 05:42:03 PM
Oh, you crazy nerds....  :D  (And leave my Imperial Army and Dark Angels out of this - that's different.  :P

There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #35 on: December 02, 2012, 06:58:36 PM

My all-time favorite comics artist was John Byrne... he did some amazing stuff... there was an inker at Marvel who worked with Byrne a lot that I can't remember the name of off the top of my head, but the two of them together were the Lennon and McCartney of comic art...  Their renditions of the Scarlett Witch burned an indelible pattern into my brain, and created a template for my preferences for many years to follow!   :whistle:

I also loved Alpha Flight. I did a short gig as a comic book colorist in the early 90's for a small press comic company. The guy who ran the company got John Byrne to do the cover art for one book, and I got to do the colors on it. When we met him at a convention to pick up the piece, we were talking about his work, and I mentioned that I had a subscription to Alpha Flight. He said 'Oh, you're the OTHER one.' Apparently, sales weren't exactly stellar on that title. LOL

I thought Alpha Flight was great, but it seemed too "Canadian."  I know that sounds odd since they were a Canadian superhero team, but they didn't seem real to me- almost like they were an American's idea of what life was like in Canada, rather than an actual Canadian team.  Given that John Byrne is Canadian I kind of expected better from him rather than just a mockup of Canadian stereotypes. 

I'm kind of surprised there wasn't a guy who wore Mountie jodhpurs and a stetson. ::)

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #36 on: December 02, 2012, 11:39:53 PM
I thought Alpha Flight was great, but it seemed too "Canadian."  I know that sounds odd since they were a Canadian superhero team, but they didn't seem real to me- almost like they were an American's idea of what life was like in Canada, rather than an actual Canadian team.  Given that John Byrne is Canadian I kind of expected better from him rather than just a mockup of Canadian stereotypes. 

I'm kind of surprised there wasn't a guy who wore Mountie jodhpurs and a stetson. ::)

Def

What? No love for 'Puck'? :D
I totally get what you're talking about with Canadian stereotypes, but by the same token, I was a kid in Ohio, and I didn't know much about stereotypes of Canadians, and was just following the story. It had the 'dysfunctional family' feel of the 70s-80s Avengers.

Jersey... I am a full blown geek, and came to the realization long ago that to deny it was to not be true to my self, but to wear thinkgeek t-shirts was waving an annoying geek-flag. So... I try to tone it down... until someone starts a thread on the Hero of Canton, then it's all GAME ON!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #37 on: December 02, 2012, 11:52:47 PM
Puck was awesome, at least until he became the world's tallest Dwarf.  Sasquatch and Box (the original) were also really cool. Come to think of it, with a dwarf and multiple amputee superheros on the team maybe they could have been the Special Avengers!

I know, that was extremely poor taste....

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #38 on: December 02, 2012, 11:58:09 PM
Don't forget Aurora, with Multiple Personality Disorder, and Marina with... emm... "I'm not human but look like one, and I may occasionally decide you look like food" disorder. And Heather with "Spontaneous Combustion Spouse" disorder. And Northstar, with the burden of being (to my knowledge) the first out gay superhero.

Yeah, they were a beautiful trainwreck of a team. :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #39 on: December 03, 2012, 12:02:20 AM
Yes well with bad guys like Prime Minister Trudeau and Gilded Lily they really don't have too many serious threats.

Oh, and don't forget the hot blonde Inuit goddess!  Because you know, there are lots of blonde Inuit out there.....

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: December 03, 2012, 05:51:26 AM

Def
What???  :o  You mean all you guys from north of the border don't have flapping heads, beady little eyes, and tell fart jokes all the time?  My world view is ruined!!!   :ahhh  :ahhh  :ahhh

Oh, and I would certainly be remiss if I also didn't include this...

There is no Canada like French Canada, it's ze best Canada in ze land
and the other Canada is hardly Canada, if you've lived there for a day you'd understand.
There is no Canada like French Canada, it's ze best Canada in ze land
and the other Canada is a booched Canada, if you've lived there for a day you'd understand...
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 05:54:29 AM by Heinz Doofenshmirtz »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74
Net Balance: $53.60
Below Goal: $246.40
Site Currency: USD
18%