Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Charge vs. Surge scissors

Offline bobofish

Charge vs. Surge scissors
on: December 01, 2006, 05:00:04 AM
Gents,
In another topic I started, I asked people about their reccommendations for a multitool for me....I have a surge that I like some things about and don't like some things about. Not the time or the place for me to ask here though.

My question; one of the things I like about the Surge are the scissors....they're a little pain to lock, but probablly no more so than the charge scissors are to open. However, those of you who have used the scissors on both, is there much of a difference?

I mean in day to day use, opening packages, cutting light plastic, stuff like that. You can clip your nails with just about anything, that's not what I'm worried about. If I return the surge for the charge, I'd like to know if I'm gonna be dropping a level of quality in the scissors, or if they're just apples vs. apples. (braeburn vs. fuji for example)

For example, the scissor blades are about the same length, but the handles are different, and the surge scissors fit in the hand well. What about the charge?
Thanks, hope this isn't a boneheaded question. I've played with the charge in stores, but I never manage to bring plastic or anything to cut.
Cheers

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Re: Charge vs. Surge scissors
Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 05:24:10 AM
Well if you were ever use to the orginal wave's scissors the charge/new wave is way smaller and not as good in my opinion. I don't own a surge but from what defender tells me, they are a pain but they are beefier than the Ti/wave stuff.

David

Offline bobofish

Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 05:28:36 AM
I had an old wave when it first came out, till it got stolen. It was a great tool though, and the scissors were great, you're right.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 12:33:31 PM
The old Wave scissor design debuted on the PST II and I have always thought they were the best multitool folding scissor design out there.  I have no idea why Leatherman dropped it, but that was a serious boo boo in my books.

I can't speak to the new Wave or Charge's scissors, but all I have heard about the new scissor design tends to suggest that they aren't as good as the old design.  I am not certain how well that compares to the Surge scissors, but I am sure someone will be along with an opinion on that shortly.

Just to clarify, I think the only thing that's a pain on the Surge's scissors is the lock.  It's kind of silly that you have to fold them out, then open them before the lock will engage and you can use them.  It's a little thing, but a noticeable little thing.  The scissors themselves are actually quite good.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: December 02, 2006, 02:02:49 AM
The scissors on the Charge/New Wave are too small for my liking. They work mind you, but I would prefer them to be a bit larger.

I like the Surge scissors a lot better. The lock issue......hmmmm.......I guess it really doesn't bother me. I agree it is silly, but not a biggie.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline bobofish

Reply #5 on: December 02, 2006, 02:20:28 AM
So Jsews,
In your opinion, would you pick a surge or a charge as an edc?
I can always buy a pocket clip for the surge....once it's in my pocket, it's not THAT noticeable. I keep feeling that a Charge would fit me better, and I'd be more comfortable actually carrying it. After all, what's the point of a multitool if you don't have it with you?

But I keep coming back to all the good features of the surge...the scissors, the blade exchanger. Maybe I'd give too much up with the charge.

And then again, maybe I'mjust making a mountain out of a molehill. If these things cost the same as Swisstools, it wouldn't be much of an issue at all, at least for me.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: December 02, 2006, 02:31:07 AM
I've got both a Surge and a Charge, and the choice of which one to EDC is an easy one; I'm not a big guy, I carry the Charge. The Surge just seems a bit too much for me to have on my person "just in case" I might need it. Instead, when it gets to leave home, the Surge stays in the truck.

However, that's just me. My big galoot brother-in-law EDC's a Leatherman Core, because it fits him better. Only you can decide what's best for you.

(Bob's rule of thumb: When In Doubt, Buy Both!)   :)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 02:34:06 AM by J-sews »
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #7 on: December 02, 2006, 02:34:34 AM
(Bob's rule of thumb: When In Doubt, Buy Both! )   :)

Hmm... I think that should become a multitool.org rule.   ;)
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #8 on: December 02, 2006, 05:41:38 PM
I always assumed it didn't need to be a rule because it was just a fundamental, like not sticking your tongue in a circular saw blade, or urinating on an exposed electrical circuit...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: December 02, 2006, 08:36:27 PM
Ouch, that sounds painful!  :o

us Offline Fred

• I'm the one they call Dr FeelGood
Reply #10 on: December 03, 2006, 01:47:34 AM
so it's ok to stick your tongue in an electrical socket?
Yabba dabba doo!

Offline bobofish

Reply #11 on: December 03, 2006, 08:58:30 AM
Only if it's 220, and your tongue is extra moist.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%