Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wild Mushroom picking

dks · 24 · 3340

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Wild Mushroom picking
on: November 25, 2012, 05:13:42 PM
I did not have time to go hunting today, so I decided to go wild mushroom picking.

I was targeting a species that is used for mushroom pasties but found none. Instead I found a few of these nice tasty mushrooms, great fried or grilled...

I am also getting some more wild ones tomorrow.. I love the mushroom season..
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Wild Mushroom picking
Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 05:20:56 PM
 :tu: very cool mate, i love mushrooms but dont know enough about them too pick them  :-\  enjoy  :salute:

gb Offline badwolf

• No Life Club
  • my best friends a dog
Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 06:13:58 PM
I did not have time to go hunting today, so I decided to go wild mushroom picking.

I was targeting a species that is used for mushroom pasties but found none. Instead I found a few of these nice tasty mushrooms, great fried or grilled...

(Image removed from quote.)

All looks yummy :tu:

:tu: very cool mate, i love mushrooms but dont know enough about them too pick them  :-\  enjoy  :salute:
+1 We tried it, had a identifying chart thingy, we foraged a small bounty and went home, then doubt set in, just not sure enough :think:
"I like me, my wife likes me"

JC PT&A

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 06:25:47 PM

+1 We tried it, had a identifying chart thingy, we foraged a small bounty and went home, then doubt set in, just not sure enough :think:

:-\ yeah there is some dodgey mushrooms out there Jeff so i steer clear unless very sure and that never  :D

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 07:17:56 PM
Growing up and picking mushrooms (and other wild plants) with my family I assumed everybody knew which mushrooms to pick. Talking to people nowadays I realise that 99.9% of people have no idea what to pick, and most of the rest can just distinguish 1 or 2 species.
I am quite confident in picking around 10 varieties, which practically covers all mushrooms that can be found here. I even learned of a new variety this year, so I am always learning.
The difficulty comes when distinguishing similar looking varieties; one will be delicious the other poisonous or bad tasting; so most people will leave them alone, to be safe.
The variety I was looking for today is probably known by a hundred people only, as it is only suitable for pasties filling.  So when you find it you fill buckets.
The orange ones Lactarius sanguifluus shown on the left in the picture are the most sought after ones and have become quite hard to find as many people go after them using rakes, destroying their growing environment. They are very crunchy, meaty, sweet mushrooms with a nice fragrance and flavour and are very good grilled or fried, maintaining their texture well after cooking. There is a very similar variety as well which is inedible. I remember filling a bucket of these, many years ago, only to have to throw them away....

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 07:20:50 PM

:-\ yeah there is some dodgey mushrooms out there Jeff so i steer clear unless very sure and that never  :D

:salute:

http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/

Disclaimer;
If you cop a bad-un and it kills you don't come running to me  :whistle:
Everything’s adjustable

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 07:21:27 PM
All mushrooms do funny things to my guts so none of them are on my menu, even though I do like the taste. :-\

Great line I heard once; "All mushrooms are edible.....some of them only once though". :whistle:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 07:35:30 PM
I have heard something even more stupid, on how to distinguish the poisonous ones:
"the poisonous ones taste bitter..."  :facepalm:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 11:16:17 PM
I first read that as "poisonous taste better" and had a bit of a laugh!

I don't eat mushrooms at all so I don't bother foraging for them, although I am always amazed at how many of the "magic" variety grow locally.  Its hard to have them on a controlled substance list when they grow naturally in your yard!

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 11:24:59 PM
Actually, tasting them means putting a tiny bit on your tongue to get an impression, then spitting it out and rinsing and spitting. You don't ingest anything so there is no danger.

It's a useful identification tool if you have done all the other sensible stuff and still aren't sure.

When you have had a lot of practice it gets easier to know what you're looking at, but making a spore print at home is easy and fun too, and knowing everything about the environment you found it in such as the tree it was under/on.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 12:07:26 AM
I first read that as "poisonous taste better" and had a bit of a laugh!

I don't eat mushrooms at all so I don't bother foraging for them, although I am always amazed at how many of the "magic" variety grow locally.  Its hard to have them on a controlled substance list when they grow naturally in your yard!

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Did you never see Shrooms? :ahhh
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 12:13:08 AM
What Nuphoria said. :tu:

I only pick about half a dozen species I'm familiar with. If I'm not sure, I bring them to my mothers uncle to verify and consult a few books I have.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 07:33:44 AM
The only mushrooms I pick have a price tag on them!

I know the golden rules of avoid white gills, avoid a cup at the bottom of the stalk and avoid a ring under the cap - and anything above head height is edible ... but I'm still not taking any chances

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 10:00:10 AM
Here in Australia we sometimes have trouble with recent arrivals from overseas mistaking a deadly toadstool (called a Death Cap) for one that is safe where they come from.  What is particularly nasty about this one is that it can take weeks to kill you, and there is no known cure once you've digested it.

I'm very cautious about the mushrooms I eat (only 3 species that I'm sure of).

The latest fad here is growing black truffles, which seem to be very difficult to grow and hence are very, very expensive.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #14 on: November 26, 2012, 04:32:06 PM
Here they are today.

I was also given a large, white, mushroom (was cut before I could take a picture). They were both fried, separately, with onions and the white one had some garlic added to boost the flavour.

On the left you see the white mushroom (lowland mushroom) on the right the orange ones and at the top a courgette omelette. Lemon juice was also added..

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #15 on: December 01, 2012, 01:14:22 PM
I went for a couple of hours in a nearby forest for some offroading/mushroom picking.

Offroading was fun  :D though I was able to climb up everything without even going to 4wd...  :(

I found several of the common white/brown top mushrooms that are similar to the common, cultivated, button mushrooms, but taste better and also some of the orange ones.

I also found some of the pastie making variety, shown below.

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: December 01, 2012, 02:51:17 PM
Is Steak on the menu any time soon?

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #17 on: December 01, 2012, 04:29:29 PM
Is Steak on the menu any time soon?

You must be a mindreader!!!   :D

I had steak about 10 minutes after I posted these pictures!!    :rofl:

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: December 01, 2012, 06:00:23 PM
You are making me really hungry!

gb Offline badwolf

• No Life Club
  • my best friends a dog
Reply #19 on: December 01, 2012, 06:37:22 PM
 :drool: I'm coming for dinner, see you soon :D
"I like me, my wife likes me"

JC PT&A

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #20 on: December 01, 2012, 07:51:49 PM
I did not know people like mushrooms so much....   ;)

us Offline stealth007s

• I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #21 on: December 02, 2012, 03:57:37 AM
We just picked up a load of mushrooms from the store yesterday. Cremini, King Oyster and smurfaki.

Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #22 on: December 02, 2012, 04:18:46 AM
We just picked up a load of mushrooms from the store yesterday. Cremini, King Oyster and smurfaki.

:rofl: Gotta love the filter!
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline stealth007s

• I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #23 on: December 02, 2012, 04:23:47 AM
I didn't realize it did that!¡!

Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!