Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

In your opinion when were Vic and Wenger at their peak?

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
on: November 26, 2012, 11:51:52 PM
As it says on the tin, when do you see the real glory days of our favourite pocket knife makers?

The reason I ask is that several of my favourite knives are now discontinued (Yeoman, Original Outdoorsman, 84mm Golfer), and I also hear reports about how some of the older knives were not as good in some ways (file, springs, etc) as they are today. Then again I love both the Spirit RT and the Rangergrip 90

Is it right now, or was it some time before. When was their finest hour for you, and what do you miss from then if anything?

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: In your opinion when were Vic and Wenger at their peak?
Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 11:15:15 PM
Its a bit had to say for me.Most of my SAKS are fairly recent.

What I would say is that Wenger may just be coming of age.I have a Buck Wenger,and its not a patch on the more recent Evos.

The only older SAKs  I have are a Motorist,with a square profile philips,and a 84mil Golfer with a small clip point blade.Cant say I see much difference,except that the modern scissors are a bit better.

I do however think that Vic will be being foolish if they discontinue the alox ranges,rather than expand them,maybe using the inspiration of the master modders here :salute:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 11:20:43 PM
I'd rather answer what I hope than what I suspect: Some time in the future. :)

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 11:49:04 PM
I'd rather answer what I hope than what I suspect: Some time in the future. :)

I'd like to think that too  :D

Its a bit had to say for me.Most of my SAKS are fairly recent.

What I would say is that Wenger may just be coming of age.I have a Buck Wenger,and its not a patch on the more recent Evos.

The only older SAKs  I have are a Motorist,with a square profile philips,and a 84mil Golfer with a small clip point blade.Cant say I see much difference,except that the modern scissors are a bit better.

I do however think that Vic will be being foolish if they discontinue the alox ranges,rather than expand them,maybe using the inspiration of the master modders here :salute:

I think Wenger are definitely trying to establish an identity, what with the move to locking blades on the 85s, the Evo scales, and the development of the 130mm line. I wish they'd keep non-locking options too, as now you can't get a new Wenger with a Phillips and a non-locking blade  :( There certainly seems to be improvement in their backsprings over the older models too.

Victorinox are extremely high quality and consistent too, but it's a shame they are cutting back on the alox line and pumping out the same stuff in pretty colours rather than expanding it. I'm still struggling to understand why they haven't looked at putting scissors into the alox line - I don't get the commercial reluctance to try that unless sales of celidor units with scissors are depleting in comparison with non-scissor units  :think: They've also got some outstanding tools in the Swisstool and Spirit, and I do hope we see more development from them moving forwards. It's a shame we've lost some of the older models like the Yeoman, and a shame they haven't done more with the 84mm line. They've certainly got the quality, but they seem to have (for now) lost the innovation a bit

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 12:14:06 AM
Oddly I've got a Wenger from (I believe) the early '80's and it's build quality is excellent, every bit as good as a Vic or modern Wenger.  Also I've got a 91mm pre-Compact (no hook) that has a backspring on the blade that just feels 'better' than pretty much any other SAK I own.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Wheeljack

Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 04:26:03 AM
I don't know that they've reached a peak. I will say that I'd like to see them figure out a way to add the toothpick and tweezers to alox models - all it would take is casting the groove into the back side of the scale.

se Offline Northern Geek

Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 08:00:39 AM
I don't think I've actually owned a Vic with a solid scale, but it seems like a step in the wrong direction to move to the hollow ones (even though it was a while ago). Sure, it probably saved them a bit of money, but I'd hate to see them start cutting corners.

How do you guys think they compare? The old solid ones and the new hollow ones?

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 08:55:29 AM
I have a 25 year old, from new, climber and it feels the same as the new ones.

I think the peak will be reached when they start making smaller multitools.. Think of a LM juice with victorinox quality and scissors..
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

se Offline Northern Geek

Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 09:00:06 AM
I have a 25 year old, from new, climber and it feels the same as the new ones.

I think the peak will be reached when they start making smaller multitools.. Think of a LM juice with victorinox quality and scissors..

Ah well that's good to hear. I guess they managed to save some money without really cutting corners then. Sounds about right considering the company we're discussing. :D

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 10:14:13 AM
My Swiss Champ from '85 was as good as the one from '92 and the one from '98 and all together as good as the XLT of the 2000s. In quality and every day use.
I was happy when I realized that any of those SAKs had improvements over the former one. The crimper, the hook, the hardened file, the hooked toothpick (they stopped making that though but one can modify the straight toothpick with the knife easily), the Cybertool, the translucent scales, the pin . Now they focus on electronics (AVT, Swissmemory, LED ligths) but I believe thear is great potential for more models and new tools. Locking 91-93mm blades, Alox with more levels, a 1/4" bit adapter or more 4mm bits etc. Or new surprise tools. A new type of working lighter for example. Or small multitools indeed.
I hope they are reading us. This forum is full of free, unpatented and original ideas. Do you read us Hr Elsener? Surprise us!  :sak:
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 10:16:43 AM by kkokkolis »

it Offline basilio

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 11:50:29 AM
I think that Wenger was at peak with their innovative designs just around 1990-1995
Have a look at this catalog
http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-browse_gallery.php?galleryId=97

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: November 28, 2012, 09:53:21 PM
Kkokkolis mentioned the idea of introducing locking blades in 91/93mm...While I can see the benifits of this,and locking blades in general,in the UK it would be a death blow!

The S-varients of the Wengers ar a good idea,but it means that things like the 557 are a no go for a lot of us.Theres a BoyScout version of the Evo18,with a rounded tip blade...very sheeple friendly except that...yes it locks!

Reading through the forum,theres more and more places that are banning or restricting locking blades,possibly with good reason.The Unique Selling Proposition of the SAK is its the friendly little red knife.The SAK makers cant lose sight of this.

Sorry if that starting turning into a rant :whistle:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 10:33:24 PM
They could offer locking and not locking variants. Or UK might change the laws. Here, most attacks or murders involving a blade are from kitchen knives. Every house has them, they are readily available, and some kitchen knives are very aggressive, full tang and everything. One could make such a damage with that 30cm Tramontina spear point no SAK would ever do.
These laws always give the advantage to the law breakers. They'll conceal a lock blade or an AK 47 while other citizens just rely on their fingernails for protection. But that's off topic, sorry!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: November 28, 2012, 10:41:49 PM
They could offer locking and not locking variants. Or UK might change the laws. Here, most attacks or murders involving a blade are from kitchen knives. Every house has them, they are readily available, and some kitchen knives are very aggressive, full tang and everything. One could make such a damage with that 30cm Tramontina spear point no SAK would ever do.
These laws always give the advantage to the law breakers. They'll conceal a lock blade or an AK 47 while other citizens just rely on their fingernails for protection. But that's off topic, sorry!

100% with you mate,and sorry if it felt I was ranting at you!

I'd guess the sats on knife attacks in the UK would be much the same(they certainly are in terms of shootings...98% of all shootings are with illeagle owned firearms,but whos on the recieving end of the legislation?)

It would be nice to see the option of locking or non-locking,but I'd be concerned,in that markets like the US are so much bigger than the UK or Denmark,we might get marginalised by the cost of making both options

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #14 on: November 28, 2012, 11:00:11 PM
To me, the development of the Cybertools was a high point for Victorinox.  Brilliant tool.  For me, they will remain at their peak as long as they continue to make Alox models, Cybertools and SwissTools.

For Wenger, I agree.  The 1990's to early 2000's were great for innovative designs.  The S557 is a fantastic tool.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%