Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Marlin spike SAKs! Sailors

Marius · 43 · 13059

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Re: New Marlin spike SAKs! Sailors
Reply #30 on: December 03, 2012, 01:01:56 AM
This thread just gave me an idea of how to use up the pile of new fish scalers I have, and satisfy my want of a marlinspike.  Grind off the lower prong, and add a hole near the end... modded thin sacking needle! With built in ruler!  I'd probably have to make the other prong longer and pointier, but it would work. :D

i have a picture on a post it note describing some thing very similar, i think i even have a fish scaler with one prong blacked out with permanent marker.  I also thought it was a good idea to find some use for scaler and it can share the same layer as the saw....

being flat it wouldn't have the same stress resistance as the actual marlin spike but how many people are actually untying big knots with them anyways right?

Ya it was really just an idea to make use of a part that to me has zero value.  When I part out a swiss champ, i literally value it at $0.   I'll grind one tonight as a test.
I don't think you have to grind it really... the Fishscaler is a pretty handy marlin spike just as it is and the hook disgorger is actually quite useful in that regard as well.  You might want to drill it and then you can use it like the reamer a liitle easier for sewing large stiches.  You just need to give it a new name; Marlin spike, sewing needle, ruler.  it's the MSR combo-tool.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #31 on: December 03, 2012, 01:11:50 AM
Hmmm yes a new name is in order!  The stitcher!  Knotbuster!  hmmm.... Speaking of making holes in things, I cant believe Ive never put a hole in the standard 93mm awl. 
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline WiSAKfan

Reply #32 on: December 03, 2012, 01:36:39 AM
Hmmm yes a new name is in order!  The stitcher!  Knotbuster!  hmmm.... Speaking of making holes in things, I cant believe Ive never put a hole in the standard 93mm awl.

do it!

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: December 03, 2012, 02:09:20 AM
Robert, you may also want to try the 91 mm awl to see if it can fit on a layer against another short tools such as the cap lifter/screwdriver. That one is sturdy enough for punching round holes into thick leather, to cut and to sew (and all recent versions have the eyelet/hole).

za Offline meanx

Reply #34 on: December 03, 2012, 02:14:40 PM
My thoughts exactly, now if they put a fish scaler with it,it would of made more sense, and would definitely be a more useful tool.

Like this? :D

Perfect  :gimme: I do a lot of fishing, nowadays more catch and release, and the hook remover is the perfect tool to remove those hooks that the fish swallow a bit deep, I use it a lot,never used it as a fish scaler though, the back of a knife works better.
Rest is not idleness,
and to lie sometimes on the grass under trees on a summer's day,
listening to the murmur of the water, or watching the clouds float across the sky,
is by no means a waste of time

gb Offline nsa-x-file

• No Life Club
  • In a world of compromise, some don't.
Reply #35 on: December 03, 2012, 07:41:47 PM
Both very nice. Should have mine any day now.  :mail:

gr Offline MARIOS7319

• Happiness depends upon ourselves. Aristotle
Reply #36 on: December 03, 2012, 09:34:34 PM
My thoughts exactly, now if they put a fish scaler with it,it would of made more sense, and would definitely be a more useful tool, I think some of these limited runs are just a gimmick with fancy colour scales.

I agree with that, do not misunderstand me i believe that they are very cool SAK's, but i had enough with those ''limited runs''.
On the other hand i will never say no to a old alox.
As for the saw see a old SAK that i have, and also see the difference between the Sacking Needle and the Marlinspike.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 09:37:00 PM by MARIOS7319 »

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: December 04, 2012, 04:31:15 AM

us Offline WiSAKfan

Reply #38 on: December 04, 2012, 04:55:14 AM
My thoughts exactly, now if they put a fish scaler with it,it would of made more sense, and would definitely be a more useful tool, I think some of these limited runs are just a gimmick with fancy colour scales.

I agree with that, do not misunderstand me i believe that they are very cool SAK's, but i had enough with those ''limited runs''.
On the other hand i will never say no to a old alox.
As for the saw see a old SAK that i have, and also see the difference between the Sacking Needle and the Marlinspike.

(Image removed from quote.)

great pics and great old sak there

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: December 23, 2012, 12:42:01 AM
Just got mine (thanks, Tim!  :cheers:). To me personally they were better than expected. Beautiful SAKs.
058_0251.JPG
* 058_0251.JPG (Filesize: 100.65 KB)

es Offline jfuste

• Collector+
Reply #42 on: May 28, 2013, 04:23:00 PM

Now, this is mine! Thanks Marios!! Is a very nice addition to my ever growing collection!! :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%