Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Paladin PT-540

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Paladin PT-540
on: December 03, 2012, 10:08:09 PM
I just landed a new I.T. position at a manufacturing facility and have very quickly come to the conclusion I need a new multi. A Paladin PT-540 would be a lifesaver if I could get my hands on one. Anyone have one/know where I can still manage to find one?

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Re: Paladin PT-540
Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 12:39:03 AM
Google shows a few places listing them for sale, but all seem to want big bucks for them (but they are a very BIG tool).  Lots of people comment that they are just a bit too big. 

Have you looked at the PT-525 ?  I just bought one on evilBay.

If you want to change the tool load on the Paladin tools all the SOG tools fit.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 12:55:40 AM
I could "build" one of the smaller models by ordering a couple implements for the Powerlock sitting here next to me lol. The size doesn't concern me much, I want the larger model for the arrangement of strippers in the plier head. Been digging around Google and everything comes up as "out of stock". My best bet will probably be to hope a used one in good shape pops up.

us Offline Crouton

• No Life Club
  • "Live long and ..useful."
Paladin PT-540
Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 01:52:30 AM
I owned a PT-540 and just didn't care for it.  It was just too big, considerably bigger than the SOG Powerlock.

You may like it of course and I wish you luck.  I work in the electronics/IT field and still find the Wave/Charge to be the ideal EDC, but I'm also starting to pocket carry a Cybertool lite which is awesome.  If you need wire strippers and a punch down tool you'd be better off carrying educated told for that.
:)

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 02:01:19 AM
I'm with Crouton and gregozedobe on this one. I actually do have a PT-540 which I got off of Neil like two and a half years ago, and it's been sitting in its cozy (not-so-)little sheath in the drawer ever since. I wouldn't mind letting it go for what I got it plus shipping, but (a) this thing is a brute of a tool and shipping won't be cheap, and (b) cherrypicking the tools you need and playing lego with a powerlock or leatherman is imho a far better option.

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 03:08:41 AM
Well my alternative is the old standby of just going back to a Swisstool. I'd kinda like to go the full size route, but I want the thinner pliers of the Spirit. I agree that a dedicated punchdown, strippers what have you would be better, but the Paladin is just cool lol. I'll have to give it some consideration. I always carry tools everyone else say are too big for EDC, but the 540 really is a beast even next to a full size Swisstool from what I've seen. Gah. This is why I stopped coming on here much, because the answer is always BUY BOTH!  :gimme:

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 03:15:17 AM
It's not just about the dedicated tools being better; it's about this tool being that large that I wouldn't want to let anywhere near the confined spaces of a datacenter... :) And did I mention it's big? Yes sir that it is! :D

Just out of curiosity, which of the implements on the 540 do you expect to use the most?

us Offline Crouton

• No Life Club
  • "Live long and ..useful."
Paladin PT-540
Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 03:19:44 AM
The PT-540 is cool I'll give you that.  That's exactly why I got one, but once I got it was amazed at its ingenuity, impressed with its build quality, but absolutely certain that I would never carry it.

I'd still get one if I were you but if possible try to hold one in your hand first. 
:)

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 03:26:52 AM
See that's where my entire argument falls apart. I'm really not sure what I would use the most.  I would imagine the pliers/strippers, which can be had easier cheaper elsewhere. And seeing as I still think SOG's drivers suck Smurf's smurf I'd likely always wish I had a Swisstool. Thing is there's a lot of infrastructure expansion/improvement going on and having the strippers and punchdown right there handy could turn out to be a huge plus. Maybe I should say "eff it" and get another Spirit X. All I know is the Workchamp I've EDC'd for over a year now isn't going to cut it any more. I keep needing pliers lol.

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 04:05:02 AM
Been digging around Google and everything comes up as "out of stock". My best bet will probably be to hope a used one in good shape pops up.

If you really want one, dig a bit harder (increase the strength of your "google-fu"), and try varying your search a bit eg

paladin 540 or pt540 or "pt-540"

powerplay 540 or pt540 or "pt-540"

greenlee 540 or pt540 or "pt-540"

I'm sure I've seen a few US companies selling them recently, but for prices in the range $180 -240

Some also had them in some kind of kit (which was even more expensive  :o)
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 04:09:34 AM
lol, yes I've used all those terms. I have come across that kit a bunch of times. Never seen prices that high ($140 was the highest, and that was with the kit) but they all firmly state they no longer have it available. I'll likely just keep my eye out on E-Bay for now, I'm thinking of just hitting Tim up for some new Swiss goodness in the meantime. Or just Lego my Powerlock. Realistically I'll do all of the above lol.

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 04:10:16 AM
See that's where my entire argument falls apart. I'm really not sure what I would use the most.  I would imagine the pliers/strippers, which can be had easier cheaper elsewhere. And seeing as I still think SOG's drivers suck Smurf's smurf I'd likely always wish I had a Swisstool. Thing is there's a lot of infrastructure expansion/improvement going on and having the strippers and punchdown right there handy could turn out to be a huge plus. Maybe I should say "eff it" and get another Spirit X. All I know is the Workchamp I've EDC'd for over a year now isn't going to cut it any more. I keep needing pliers lol.

FYI the strippers on the pliers are close to useless, as the compound leverage makes it only too easy to overdo it and cut through the wires as well, as opposed to just their housing. For the punchdown tool, you might be better off mod'ing one in some other tool as in this instructable, or using the idea in the link and creating a set of punches for various sizes to fit in the LM bit adapter, or go with a dedicated one anyway. :P As I said, I'd happily get the PT-540 off my hands, but it will probably end up in your drawers instead of mine. ;) Just my €0.02...

EDIT: Did a little google'ing and came up with several companies producing punchdown bits, including a multi-screwdriver by Klein. Maybe you could use the bits on a standard multitool via some 3/8'-1/4' adapter, if you're so inclined on going that way. SOG/Paladin are also producing a wire stripping implement (clicky), but I have never used it so can't vouch for it.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 04:18:13 AM by Nikos »

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 04:16:04 AM
You know Nikos, that's something I didn't even think of. I cut too deeply often enough as it is, let alone with the almighty Gears of SOG backing me up. That home-modded punchdown is pretty nifty. Now I really am getting ideas.....

Edit for your edit: I do have that stripping implement in my Powerlock actually. It "works" but it's a bit fidgety, and is fairly limited in it's maximum size. Maybe some stand alone punchdown bits in an adapter would be workable.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 04:23:15 AM by thebullfrog »

us Offline tattoosteve99

Paladin PT-540
Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 04:24:24 AM
This thread will soon be going into the mod squad under "what have I done now" ;)
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 04:26:24 AM
haha, quite possibly

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, 04:26:59 AM
My job is done then... :D

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #16 on: December 06, 2012, 03:23:54 PM
You know Nikos, that's something I didn't even think of. I cut too deeply often enough as it is, let alone with the almighty Gears of SOG backing me up. That home-modded punchdown is pretty nifty. Now I really am getting ideas.....

Edit for your edit: I do have that stripping implement in my Powerlock actually. It "works" but it's a bit fidgety, and is fairly limited in it's maximum size. Maybe some stand alone punchdown bits in an adapter would be workable.

How about a Leatherman Squirt ES4 for wire stripping ?  It's small size may reduce your tendency to cut too deeply  :pok:

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #17 on: December 06, 2012, 03:40:19 PM
Quote from: thebullfrog
Thing is there's a lot of infrastructure expansion/improvement going on and having the strippers and punchdown right there handy could turn out to be a huge plus.

If you're comfortable disassembling/reassembling your current PowerLock, I can make this easy for you. I recently picked up a PT-510 just for the pointy plier head and gear covers, and plan to re-stuff the implements from my modded Pocket PowerPlier. I have no need for the Paladin punch-down/stripper implement, so if you PM me your mailing address, I'll drop it in an envelope and send it to you.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 03:51:49 PM by Gryffin »

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: December 07, 2012, 03:07:02 AM
Honestly it's the 540's uber huge stripper filled plier head that interests me the most. Otherwise I'd just Lego my Powerlock into some 510 variation. Thank's for the offer though, I'm still fielding a few options on the plate. Gotta wait a few extra days until my next check anyway seeing as my car decided to take a dump on me lol.

Offline rhofer

Reply #19 on: May 01, 2020, 05:39:41 PM
I realize that this thread is 8 years old, but I have a brand new PT-540 with the leather sheath. If you're reading this you know it's no longer made. The Covid crisis has me selling off pieces of my multitool collection. First reasonable offer will get it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%