Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Ugh!!! Farmer or custom Tinker

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Ugh!!! Farmer or custom Tinker
on: March 13, 2008, 04:56:58 AM
So I've been carrying my new Farmer around recently and just loving it. Today I was looking through my sock drawer and I saw my custom handled Tinker just sitting there looking lonely. So I decided I'd play with it a little :D. Well now I have in a dilemma, I don't know which one to carry. I love my Farmer, the saw and the Alox handles are great. But OTOH, my G-10 handled Tinker is simply awesome. And I carried a Tinker for about a decade. It wasn't this one but needless to say I have a lot of history with the Tinker. And this one being custom built for me by Scott at http://knifecooperative.com/ makes it even better.

I am getting to know the Farmer quite well but I still need to look at it when I'm pulling out a blade or implement, on the Tinker I can do it without looking. I know exactly what tool is where just by holding it. It's deep in my subconscious. In my dreams, when I pull out my pocketknife, it's always a Tinker. Seriously.

The big question is how valuable is the saw? I justify it to myself by saying I could use it in a "survival" situation where I could cut limbs to use for shelter and/or a fire. But do I really NEED a saw? I could always just break the limbs. And having a second blade is always useful. Plus if something like that were to happen it would probably be because my car broke down and I have a LM Supertool in one car and a SOG Powerlock in the other. I would have the saw covered.

Of course if I had the money I'd have Scott make me a G-10 handled Hiker. That would be the best of both worlds. With the price of gas and groceries going through the roof I'm finding it harder to feed my addiction.

BTW, here's a couple of pics of my custom Tinker

http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
  • Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
Re: Ugh!!! Farmer or custom Tinker
Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 05:05:31 AM
Well, if you already have access to a multi-tool then the saw is covered. For me, the second small blade is used way more than a saw. Don't get me wrong, I love my Farmer and have another one on it's way from Amazon ($14.99). If I could afford to have my Farmer modded to have a second smaller blade, it would always be in my pocket. Ok, so what do I currently carry? Why, it's a StayGlow Huntsman so I get both the saw and a second smaller blade. The scissors, toothpick and tweezers are bonuses, but those are covered by my Rambler on my keychain. I have a Swisstool RS in one truck and a Spirit S in the other as well. In fact in one truck I have a small tool box too. How utterly pathetic am I? Don't answer that. LOL!

My advice, rotate them and enjoy them.

Mike
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 05:07:05 AM by mike »
Common sense ..... so rare, it's virtually a super power.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 05:30:03 AM

My advice, rotate them and enjoy them.

Mike

Well said.

If you need to cut wood and don't have a saw...improvise!  I don't see saws as part of any survival tool im my case, but most of the things we are around during any given day are made of wood.  I try to keep my EDC stuff as versatile as possible, and a saw is always on me.  I can't think of any material I come across on any given day I can't cut or shape with stuff I have on me.

But think of this; with a Tinker you're already ahead of the curve tool wise compared to most folks, and they get through a day with no saws :D
[

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 08:19:35 AM
+1
I would rotate them. and about just snapping twigs/limbs, many times when their green it's not that easy!
I just did that the other day and a saw would have been much faster!
(I was in the backyard and didn't have my saks on me, I hate that! I will learn...)

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 11:34:31 AM
As much as I love you tinker :drool:, I'd still go with the farmer ::), sure I don't use the saw all that often, but I genuinly consider the Farmer and it's saw to be a form of cheap life insurance :)

This guy, despite being an awful author, basically sums it up for me...

http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=235&Itemid=35

Like the other's have said, even if you've only got your tinker, your still ahead of most blokes in the survival stakes :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 01:09:26 PM
Maybe you should carry the Tinker for day-to-day activities and reserve the Farmer for the weekends or special occasions.  They're really very similar tool-wise, so carry the Tinker when you will be doing inside chores and the Farmer when you're outside.
- Terry

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 05:47:29 PM
I am in a sort of similar situation with my "Technogolfer" and my SI.  My Technogolfer covers all my needs, but I just LOVE my SI.  My solution to this?  I carry both.  :D
I'm back!!

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 06:42:45 PM
Today I'm carrying my Tinker. But I do have another knife I will be buying soon so this may all change. I'm still planning on getting the British Army 2 piece locking clasp knife. http://cgi.ebay.com/British-Army-Pattern-Clasp-Lock-Knife-NATO-Stainless_W0QQitemZ260218577902QQihZ016QQcategoryZ36077QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638.m122
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 06:46:50 PM
I like those.  :)
I'm back!!

Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 07:07:14 PM
They are well nigh indestructable, I hope you've got strong nails though DTH :)

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 07:08:22 PM
I like it better than the US military pocket knife. Although there are fans of the US "Demo" knife. It certainly is a big heavy bulletproof knife.  http://www.donrearic.com/demoknife1.htm

Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 07:11:36 PM
I've had 2 BAK's and they were both totally reliable :), I even batoned wood with mine :D

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: March 13, 2008, 07:23:04 PM
I hope you've got strong nails though DTH
That is the one thing that is worrying me as I don't particularly have strong nails. 

Reply #13 on: March 13, 2008, 07:24:34 PM
I hope you've got strong nails though DTH
That is the one thing that is worrying me as I don't particularly have strong nails. 
Well, like I've said the 2 I owned plus the dozens I've handled have all been tough to open :(

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: March 13, 2008, 07:58:57 PM
HHHMMM, I may wait on one of those. Money is way too tight to be buying something I may not like. I wonder if there's anything that can be done to alleviate the problem. I doubt it. I just wonder why they make the locking one so hard to open, since it has a lock it wouldn't need to have such a strong spring.

us Offline Swiss Man

• No Life Club
  • WIFE APPROVED
Reply #15 on: March 13, 2008, 08:48:12 PM
I wish that I could give you some advice. You are suffering from Saktitus.  ??? The only known cure is a severe one you have to get rid of all knives except one and swear off looking at and playing with other knives. (I told you it was drastic). :o

I will help you as much as possible I will take the tempation away from you. This is how you do it. toss both knives on the bed and close your eyes and the first one you grab is the one you keep before you think about it put the other in the mail to me.     ::)

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: March 13, 2008, 09:08:17 PM
The only known cure is a severe one you have to get rid of all knives except one and swear off looking at and playing with other knives.
I did that with women, I ain't gonna do it with knives.  :D

Reply #17 on: March 13, 2008, 10:05:12 PM
HHHMMM, I may wait on one of those. Money is way too tight to be buying something I may not like. I wonder if there's anything that can be done to alleviate the problem. I doubt it. I just wonder why they make the locking one so hard to open, since it has a lock it wouldn't need to have such a strong spring.
Well the genuine Bak's (the one's I had) were all slippie's so I'm sure the lockers will be a little easier on your nails :)

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: March 15, 2008, 02:10:07 AM
Well, after carrying the Tinker around for 2 days I think I'm gonna go back to the Farmer. The Farmer can do almost anything the Tinker can, however the Tinker cannot do everything the Farmer can. Plus if it is lost it can be replaced cheaper then my custom Tinker. I reckon that I'll wear the Tinker when I'm dressed up.

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: March 15, 2008, 09:05:43 AM
Well the genuine Bak's (the one's I had) were all slippie's so I'm sure the lockers will be a little easier on your nails :)
The m.o.d s way of thinking is make it cheap and virtually soldier proof the accent is on the cheap

Reply #20 on: March 15, 2008, 09:39:09 AM
Very true mate ::), but thet are a very solid knife though, get hit in the head with one and you'd know all about it :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD