Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

MegaPro 4mm double-sided bits for Cybertool bit driver

Offline Aquadragon

• New User
Hey Hi!

I was reading a Wirecutter article about precision screwdrivers and noticed their top pick (MegaPro) used double-sided 4mm bits. They store inside the handle of the screwdriver, but you can also buy them separately (links below). I know some users of the Cybertool bit driver use singe-sided 4mm bits to expand their bit range because there really aren’t any companies currently making double-sided 4mm bits. Since the single-sided bits don’t have a ball detent, many people stick (glue/putty/tape) a small disc magnet in the bottom of the bit driver to keep the bit secured. From the videos I see on this, it works very well. Single-sided bits have a large flat surface area to strongly attach to the magnet. The MegaPro double-sided bits also don’t have a ball detent, so they would have to be secured magnetically. However, since they have a much smaller surface area contacting the magnet, I’m wondering if they would still be held securely.

If anyone uses the “magnet trick” and have used these MegaPro double-sided bits, please let me know if they work well and if they’re a good alternative.

MegaPro 24-in-1 Precision Driver
(https://shop.megaprotools.com/products/24-in-1-precision-screwdriver)

MegaPro REPLACEMENT BIT PACK - THE PRECISION | 12 DOUBLE-ENDED BITS
(https://shop.megaprotools.com/products/replacement-bit-pack-the-precision-12-double-ended-bits

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Re: MegaPro 4mm double-sided bits for Cybertool bit driver
Reply #1 on: March 15, 2024, 11:38:16 AM
Hi Dragon,
    I have been using ball-detent bits for years.  Also a magnetic handle Stanley driver with non-detent bits.  I can tell you that the magnet in the Stanley will hold a double ended bit just fine. Even with the minimal bit to magnet contact of say a pointy Phillips.  Plenty of grip. 
    Depends a lot on your magnet, I think.  There are magnets, and magnets.  Try one of the wee magnets before you install it in the tool.  Stick the magnet on the Cybertool with a gob of something.  See if you can pick up the tool with the point of a screwdriver bit.  You should get a good idea of the grip from that. 
    I looked at your links.  New company to me.  I haven't bought bits in quite a while.  Feel free to tell us your Cybertool experience.  Welcome to the site.  Best wishes.  Gary (IMR)
 :cheers:
« Last Edit: March 15, 2024, 11:45:36 AM by IMR4198 »

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 15, 2024, 01:08:49 PM
Depends a lot on your magnet, I think.  There are magnets, and magnets.
It is as Gary says.

I haven’t personally tried it, but get yourself some N52 Neodymium magnets and I think it will work fine.

us Offline DavZell

Reply #3 on: March 16, 2024, 11:13:56 PM
FYI.  The 24 bit WorkPro is $14 and then a 15% off coupon right now.

WORKPRO 24-in-1 Precision Screwdriver, Pen Style Multi-Bit Screwdriver, Glasses Screwdriver with S2 Steel Small Screwdriver Bits, Ideal for Eyeglass, Watch, Laptop, Phone, Jewelry and Electronics, Red

https://a.co/d/ixnXCtH
My Mods: 58mm Workshop, 91mm Picnicker, CyberCompact
Some Fav's: long nail file models, vintage unusual stainless
Quirk: I like the metal file more than the wood saw

Offline Aquadragon

• New User
Reply #4 on: March 17, 2024, 08:42:53 PM
Hi Dragon,
    I have been using ball-detent bits for years.  Also a magnetic handle Stanley driver with non-detent bits.  I can tell you that the magnet in the Stanley will hold a double ended bit just fine. Even with the minimal bit to magnet contact of say a pointy Phillips.  Plenty of grip. 
    Depends a lot on your magnet, I think.  There are magnets, and magnets.  Try one of the wee magnets before you install it in the tool.  Stick the magnet on the Cybertool with a gob of something.  See if you can pick up the tool with the point of a screwdriver bit.  You should get a good idea of the grip from that. 
    I looked at your links.  New company to me.  I haven't bought bits in quite a while.  Feel free to tell us your Cybertool experience.  Welcome to the site.  Best wishes.  Gary (IMR)
 :cheers:

Nice! Good to hear that they hold well. Thanks for the reply : )

Offline Aquadragon

• New User
Reply #5 on: March 17, 2024, 08:43:39 PM
It is as Gary says.

I haven’t personally tried it, but get yourself some N52 Neodymium magnets and I think it will work fine.

Just bought some! Thanks for the suggestion!

Offline Aquadragon

• New User
Reply #6 on: March 17, 2024, 08:46:25 PM
FYI.  The 24 bit WorkPro is $14 and then a 15% off coupon right now.

WORKPRO 24-in-1 Precision Screwdriver, Pen Style Multi-Bit Screwdriver, Glasses Screwdriver with S2 Steel Small Screwdriver Bits, Ideal for Eyeglass, Watch, Laptop, Phone, Jewelry and Electronics, Red

https://a.co/d/ixnXCtH

Nice! Looks like there are more 4mm double-sided bit options than I thought. It seems they tend to mostly come as a package with a precision driver (with a couple of exceptions).

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #7 on: March 26, 2024, 01:02:08 AM
Thanks for posting this AD - good to know

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31