Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What did you use your Sak on today?

colt 1911 · 10795 · 568267

nl Offline Mactire404

• There's a SAK for that!
Re: What did you use your Sak on today?
Reply #4290 on: March 20, 2017, 09:27:48 AM
Wonder what the person who complained felt about it? We see the problem halved. But to them maybe it just doubled.

I'm not sure. as far as I knew the cart was empty apart form me. The train was due to leave in 15 minutes, so it's possible someone walked by on the platform and saw the blade. I'm just glad it all turned out well. I'd hate to loose a Solo over such a triviality (at least to me it's a triviality, haha)

Today I had to disassemble my girlfriends Fitmeter, a WiiU accessory, again. She left it in her skirt when she put it in the laundry. AGAIN. This is the fourth time. It's drying now, hope it still works.

My SAK collection and more: http://pocketknives.home.blog

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #4291 on: March 20, 2017, 09:48:01 AM
Wonder what the person who complained felt about it? We see the problem halved. But to them maybe it just doubled.

I'm not sure. as far as I knew the cart was empty apart form me. The train was due to leave in 15 minutes, so it's possible someone walked by on the platform and saw the blade. I'm just glad it all turned out well. I'd hate to loose a Solo over such a triviality (at least to me it's a triviality, haha)

l thought the cart had some other passengers in it in the middle of the trip, and that some whiny scaredy wimp that thinks anyone using a blade for something is a criminal had promptly went on and complained about it to someone.
But someone walking in the platform seeing someone peeling an apple with a pocket knife (that is more than legal to carry and use in public), on an empty stoped train, and go and complain, for me is not a scaredy whiner, it's simply an idiot!!!
Probably a foot kick in his butt would successfuly cure him of that!
Man sometimes i really hate this pathetic society we live in these days...  :rant:
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 09:49:58 AM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

nl Offline Mactire404

Reply #4292 on: March 20, 2017, 10:43:44 AM
l thought the cart had some other passengers in it in the middle of the trip, and that some whiny scaredy wimp that thinks anyone using a blade for something is a criminal had promptly went on and complained about it to someone.
But someone walking in the platform seeing someone peeling an apple with a pocket knife (that is more than legal to carry and use in public), on an empty stoped train, and go and complain, for me is not a scaredy whiner, it's simply an idiot!!!
Man sometimes i really hate this pathetic society we live in these days...  :rant:

I agree, but rules are rules. No knives on the train is no knives on the train. I'm an idiot for pulling it out and peel an apple. But as I said, I wasn't thinking.

The knifeophobic attitude here is driving me nuts. A knife is nothing more than a tool to me. And let's be honest it's nothing more than a tool to anyone. Every kitchen drawer is filled with knives. Every toolbox has a Stanly knife of some sort in it. The funny thing is as soon as you leave home with one it's presumed to be a weapon.
And a SAK is hardly a weapon. It does not deploy quickly enough and using a non locking blade as a weapon is asking to getting your fingers cut.

On the other hand, you don't need to deploy any tool to punch someone in the face with a SAK.  :rofl:

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #4293 on: March 20, 2017, 11:31:50 AM

I agree, but rules are rules. No knives on the train is no knives on the train. I'm an idiot for pulling it out and peel an apple. But as I said, I wasn't thinking.

The knifeophobic attitude here is driving me nuts. A knife is nothing more than a tool to me. And let's be honest it's nothing more than a tool to anyone. Every kitchen drawer is filled with knives. Every toolbox has a Stanly knife of some sort in it. The funny thing is as soon as you leave home with one it's presumed to be a weapon.
And a SAK is hardly a weapon. It does not deploy quickly enough and using a non locking blade as a weapon is asking to getting your fingers cut.

On the other hand, you don't need to deploy any tool to punch someone in the face with a SAK.  :rofl:

Well, i don't know the legal issues of using a legal pocket knife for cutting food on a train over here, but while i personally would's use it (at least the big blade) to avoid misunderstandings by some whiners passing by, i would most certainly not report a passenger with one, while pealing his fruit to eat.

A lot of people see a blade (any blade) and associate it with a weapon, forgetting that virtually anything can be used as a weapon (even a lethal one) by one who knows how to use it and/or has that intent.
It's not the (any) object that is the threat, it's the person using it that can eventually be a threat... One just has to have good sense in discerning the difference in a given situation.

If someone tried to stab someone with a small folding slip joint blade on a sak the only thing he would successfully cut was his fingers as the blade would close on him...  :whistle:

Wouldn't it be funny if one of those "scaredy cats" invited someone to dinner at his house and the person saw him grab a kitchen knife to cut some vegetables and i immediately called the police on him...
Like: "...Oh officer, he suddenly picked up a knife and i felt threatened..."   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 11:39:09 AM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

nl Offline Mactire404

Reply #4294 on: March 20, 2017, 12:09:22 PM
Well, i don't know the legal issues of using a legal pocket knife for cutting food on a train over here, but while i personally would's use it (at least the big blade) to avoid misunderstandings by some whiners passing by, i would most certainly not report a passenger with one, while pealing his fruit to eat...

...Wouldn't it be funny if one of those "scaredy cats" invited someone to dinner at his house and the person saw him grab a kitchen knife to cut some vegetables and i immediately called the police on him...
Like: "...Oh officer, he suddenly picked up a knife and i felt threatened..."   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Haha, and imagine removing all knives from the table and kitchen when those knifeophobes come over. Good luck cutting your meat!

I'm currently looking into the legal issues. In theory, you can legally carry a 29cm folding knife in Holland. However, local regulations may dictate that you can't carry a knife at all. Transportation of knives through those areas may be possible if the items are well packaged and not within reach.
Train stations usually forbid carrying knives. However, I;m now reading through the Train Regulations and nowhere is stated that you can't carry or transport knives.
If you to the extreme you can carry a knife, and only pull it out of your pocket when the train is moving and not at a train station  :rofl:

So, next time I'm on a train and it has left the station  :climber:

Offline Dwest

Reply #4295 on: March 20, 2017, 12:28:28 PM
Key Fob
Key Fob 004.jpg
* Key Fob 004.jpg (Filesize: 184.39 KB)

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #4296 on: March 20, 2017, 12:40:07 PM
I'm currently looking into the legal issues. In theory, you can legally carry a 29cm folding knife in Holland. However, local regulations may dictate that you can't carry a knife at all. Transportation of knives through those areas may be possible if the items are well packaged and not within reach.
Train stations usually forbid carrying knives. However, I;m now reading through the Train Regulations and nowhere is stated that you can't carry or transport knives.
If you to the extreme you can carry a knife, and only pull it out of your pocket when the train is moving and not at a train station  :rofl:

So, next time I'm on a train and it has left the station  :climber:

Legal carry 29cm folding knife? Man, they are very benevolent over there...  :cheers:
Over here, the max folding non-locking blade one can carry over here is 10cm. 

While there aren't (and can't be) any restrictions to pocket carrying a regular small pocket knife on public transportation's here (airplanes excluded of course), there probably will be some to actually take out and deploy the pocket knife for use in a transport, i really don't know...
In any case is best to avoid using it in there (especially the blade of course).

My wife has an Executive and she uses the nail file and scissor's on the train to work all the time, and no one has even blinked an eye because of it.  ::)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 12:42:50 PM by MacGyver »

nl Offline Mactire404

Reply #4297 on: March 20, 2017, 11:25:32 PM
My wife has an Executive and she uses the nail file and scissor's on the train to work all the time, and no one has even blinked an eye because of it.  ::)

We Dutchies have a very tolerable law concerning knives.Our weapons law can be a little confusing, as it's perfectly legal to have a bow and arrow, yet a slingshot is illegal  ???

Anyway, the Executive has a far less intimidating appearance than the blade of a 108mm Solo. I guess.  :o
I've used scissors and similar tools like pliers on my Handyman on numerous occasions in filled carts without a problem.
Its a funny world we live in.

us Offline surfdaworld

Reply #4298 on: March 21, 2017, 04:47:40 AM
Had to replace a damaged/vandalized electronic gate access lock at work today, and adjust the (very old) gate closer mechanism.  No tools used but the Explorer!

Offline Dwest

Reply #4299 on: March 21, 2017, 12:24:44 PM
Had to replace a damaged/vandalized electronic gate access lock at work today, and adjust the (very old) gate closer mechanism.  No tools used but the Explorer!

(Image removed from quote.)

:tu:

Offline Dwest

Reply #4300 on: March 21, 2017, 03:43:33 PM
Installed Thermostat
Scaler used as drywall saw
Pen for marking
Reamer for starting holes
Philips for Screws
Thermostat 003.jpg
* Thermostat 003.jpg (Filesize: 159.87 KB)
Thermostat 002.jpg
* Thermostat 002.jpg (Filesize: 199.43 KB)

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4301 on: March 21, 2017, 08:09:28 PM
Classic SD to cut off a torn callus
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #4302 on: March 22, 2017, 12:33:17 PM
Used the Yeoman WS scissors to help repurpose a small fermented milk bottle (made out of plastic) into a light diffuser...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Dwest

Reply #4303 on: March 22, 2017, 01:00:45 PM
Used the Yeoman WS scissors to help repurpose a small fermented milk bottle (made out of plastic) into a light diffuser...

Very Cool  :tu:

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #4304 on: March 22, 2017, 01:04:58 PM

Very Cool  :tu:
:hatsoff: :cheers:

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #4305 on: March 22, 2017, 09:05:00 PM
Si helped me cut up some veggies for my salad to take to work tonight...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Offline Dwest

Reply #4306 on: March 22, 2017, 11:13:41 PM
Si helped me cut up some veggies for my salad to take to work tonight...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

:like:

Offline Dwest

Reply #4307 on: March 24, 2017, 12:42:43 PM
Open Bag of Chicken
tools 001.jpg
* tools 001.jpg (Filesize: 278.82 KB)

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #4308 on: March 24, 2017, 11:35:21 PM

Offline Dwest

Reply #4309 on: March 24, 2017, 11:41:05 PM
Did some sample product assembly. Cameras not allowed. But attached is my leather/sak combo used.
14903951838091945163531.jpg
* 14903951838091945163531.jpg (Filesize: 302.92 KB)

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #4310 on: March 25, 2017, 02:24:14 AM
My pharmacy has managed to misplace what I refer to as our "topless strippers," i.e. our "popper toppers," or childproof lid-destroyers; they're levers that allow for us to remove the safety component to lids in order to make them easily removable for those who have difficulty with safety lids.  I had a bottle I didn't wish to puncture, so I attempted to use my Recruit to pry the top of the lid off, to no avail.  I managed to locate another already-popped lid that we switched out, but we're quickly running out of those lids; we've been missing our popper topper for almost a week now. :/

Still, I'm a big fan of the Recruit, so it gets a C for effort, an F for execution. :D

Offline Dwest

Reply #4311 on: March 25, 2017, 02:58:35 PM
My pharmacy has managed to misplace what I refer to as our "topless strippers," i.e. our "popper toppers," or childproof lid-destroyers; they're levers that allow for us to remove the safety component to lids in order to make them easily removable for those who have difficulty with safety lids.  I had a bottle I didn't wish to puncture, so I attempted to use my Recruit to pry the top of the lid off, to no avail.  I managed to locate another already-popped lid that we switched out, but we're quickly running out of those lids; we've been missing our popper topper for almost a week now. :/

Still, I'm a big fan of the Recruit, so it gets a C for effort, an F for execution. :D

There are times when an sak or plier based tool will leave you red faced. They can fill in for stand alone tools but will never replace them. I have been let down by the pliers many times for just not being the right shape, length etc. Anyone who thinks your are covered by any type of multitool while going on a road trip instead of having basic tools with you is going to have a long wait even if its just a battery issue.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #4312 on: March 26, 2017, 08:15:10 PM
Doing some maintenance and repair on a couple of my keyboards today, with the assistance of my trusty Explorer  :cheers:
Explorer KDB.jpg
* Explorer KDB.jpg (Filesize: 424.56 KB)
Explorer KDB2.jpg
* Explorer KDB2.jpg (Filesize: 356.12 KB)

us Offline FolderBeholder

Reply #4313 on: March 26, 2017, 08:35:23 PM
Used the scissors to open up a package in order to install an inline petcock into my little motorbike.
The package being opened:

The petcock was installed in the red motorbike:
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #4314 on: March 26, 2017, 09:15:32 PM
Cute little bike.
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

nl Offline Mactire404

Reply #4315 on: March 27, 2017, 10:11:10 AM

Cleaning Solo with Toothpick

Wanted tp peel an apple with my Solo but noticed some resistance on the joint.
Odd. Turned out to be some lint buildup. The Toothpick from my Handyman made short work of that.

ph Offline carboncopy101

Reply #4316 on: March 27, 2017, 02:56:25 PM
Cut duct tape. Opened instant coffee. Use the awl to punch some holes

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #4317 on: March 27, 2017, 03:10:50 PM
Used my Spirit yesterday to saw some timber to fix the shed roof, the awl poked some pilot holes so I could screw the timber on with my Yankee SD and the serrated blade cut the roofing felt to size. Didn't take pics but I appreciate this is a cardinal sin so here's some from when I used the Spirit to assemble my new allotment incinerator. I've incinerated 4 allotments with it so far........
WP_20170317_006 by magpie2112, on FlickrWP_20170317_008 by magpie2112, on Flickr
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #4318 on: March 27, 2017, 03:22:27 PM
Good work Mags!  :tu:

Hope you have respiratory gear!  :ahhh

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious