Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What did you use your Sak on today?

colt 1911 · 10814 · 580747

ru Offline Vovaster

Re: What did you use your Sak on today?
Reply #4620 on: August 20, 2017, 08:24:43 PM
Replaced the limiter on the shelf in the closet with my mighty minichamp.
WP_20170819_18_58_11_Pro.jpg
* WP_20170819_18_58_11_Pro.jpg (Filesize: 157.27 KB)
WP_20170819_18_45_38_Pro (2).jpg
* WP_20170819_18_45_38_Pro (2).jpg (Filesize: 186.04 KB)
Peace. Work. May.

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4621 on: August 21, 2017, 02:58:47 PM
Preparing for dinner...Finally used the can opener today to open a can of tuna...

Some slicing and dicing...

And finally dinner is served... Tuna Aglio Olio...

Forgive the lack of presentation skills... Was really famished... Not bad for an amateur as I rarely cook... Good thing my son loved it... Otherwise we would be ordering take outs... :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #4622 on: August 21, 2017, 06:50:38 PM
Removed the battery lid from my daughter's bubble wand. The #2 Phillips driver's tip is narrow enough to fit some pretty small screws. The one on this toy is at least a #1 (maybe smaller?)

UPDATE: Apparently, daddy can't get the last battery out by hand. The pliers on my Craftsman managed it.

One example of why I carry the Craftsman as my EDC even though it's a bit on the thicker side. I just prefer to have a big assortment of tools at hand all the time.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 06:58:21 PM by Tired_Yeti »

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #4623 on: August 22, 2017, 05:41:00 PM
Clipped my finger nails with my Wenger. I've had this model for a few years and don't  even remember what it's called anymore, but it's the best nail clipper I have in the house.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #4624 on: August 22, 2017, 10:28:20 PM
It's a hot and sunny day in Phoenix so I gave El Pikachu a chance to prove his quick fire-making skills... about 10 secs for signs of burning/smoke ... would have been quicker if my hand was a little steadier, tough when you're pouring sweat and holding a camera phone in the other hand.  :D
WP_20170822_13_16_50_Pro.jpg
* WP_20170822_13_16_50_Pro.jpg (Filesize: 110.21 KB)
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #4625 on: August 23, 2017, 12:51:31 AM
Used two things on my Spirit today:

1: pliers to pickup a piece of trash on the lot at work.

2: package opener to cut tape to break down cardboard box for recycle container at home.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #4626 on: August 23, 2017, 06:44:21 PM
Mum asked me to sharpen her kitchen knife... Jalox helped with tightening the screws on the Lansky Sharpener...

ru Offline Vovaster

Reply #4627 on: August 23, 2017, 08:53:17 PM
Today I with my wife and children's returned from countryside and I had to unpack a lot of boxes with different kinds of items.
Than I disassembled children's music toy and repaired it.
All of this I have done with help of my Wenger evowood 10.
Peace. Work. May.

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #4628 on: August 24, 2017, 03:16:06 AM
Small blade to breakdown a box for recycle.

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #4629 on: August 25, 2017, 07:00:50 AM
Hurricane Harvey is on the way here. Used my SAK to help with a little prep.

us Offline Boonies

• No Life Club
Reply #4630 on: August 25, 2017, 08:09:04 AM
Hurricane Harvey is on the way here. Used my SAK to help with a little prep.
(Image removed from quote.)

Need lots of prep.......stay safe!!  😳

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #4631 on: August 25, 2017, 08:24:51 AM
Need lots of prep.......stay safe!! 
Thanks. I'm trying, but I never feel prepared enough. I guess that's a good thing. Keeps me alert.

Taking a clue from another Knight, I used the awl to pop the zip tie seal on a new first aid kit.

HEY! This new first aid kit has a glow-in-the-dark label! I shut all the lights off and took this pic. How cool is that?!

« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 08:36:15 AM by Tired_Yeti »

hr Offline styx

Reply #4632 on: August 25, 2017, 12:07:41 PM
cool use. what I'm wondering is how sensible it is to put a zip tie around a first aid kit. I understand the antitheft part
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #4633 on: August 25, 2017, 12:10:26 PM
Taking a clue from another Knight, I used the awl to pop the zip tie seal on a new first aid kit.

Using the awl to cut a zip tie?  ??? Never thought of doing that...  :think:

How practical/easy is it? I would use the small blade to cut it....
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline KandiKlover

• Classic SD - SwissChamp
Reply #4634 on: August 25, 2017, 01:05:34 PM
I used my Classic SD in the sideyard opening the TNI to get into the phone network with my beige box hehe

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #4635 on: August 25, 2017, 08:43:08 PM
The switch on my flashlight stuck on in my pocket (my own fault for buying cheap lights). So once again the PTC saved the day.
Can someone out there give me an idea as to how small of screws the 58mm can get?
20170825_113127.jpg
* 20170825_113127.jpg (Filesize: 206.11 KB)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 08:44:12 PM by gene stoner »
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

hr Offline styx

Reply #4636 on: August 25, 2017, 10:03:25 PM
The switch on my flashlight stuck on in my pocket (my own fault for buying cheap lights). So once again the PTC saved the day.
Can someone out there give me an idea as to how small of screws the 58mm can get?

Shame that PTC isn't in production any more

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #4637 on: August 25, 2017, 10:55:37 PM

I know. It's just matter of time till I have to hang it up and get a Rambler or something similar. That's why I want to find out how small of screws the 58's can get?

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #4638 on: August 25, 2017, 11:08:26 PM

I know. It's just matter of time till I have to hang it up and get a Rambler or something similar. That's why I want to find out how small of screws the 58's can get?

I don't think a Rambler or even a Minichamp has something that's going to work on a screw that small.

Now I suddenly remembered why I was trying to find a custom metal toothpick for the 58mm - to turn it into a fine screwdriver for my glasses which the 58mm doesn't have. 

ru Offline Vovaster

Reply #4639 on: August 26, 2017, 12:13:47 AM

I love the Wenger PTC a lot, but my MC can do this by the tip of nailfile.
WP_20170826_01_00_24_Pro (5).jpg
* WP_20170826_01_00_24_Pro (5).jpg (Filesize: 276.41 KB)
Peace. Work. May.

us Offline cbmj

Reply #4640 on: August 26, 2017, 01:03:38 AM
Opening some chaulk at work. Cadet's first work week.

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #4641 on: August 26, 2017, 01:14:45 AM

Using the awl to cut a zip tie?  ??? Never thought of doing that...  :think:

How practical/easy is it? I would use the small blade to cut it....
I used to use the small blade--which is very easy. However, I found the awl slides under tight zip ties with ease and feels a little safer doing so than the blade. Also, the awl is a bit more "heavy duty" than the blade allowing me to really torque the heck out of a thick and/or tight zip tie without worrying that it'll slip and cut my hand.

I didn't come up with the idea. I read it from another member on this forum somewhere.

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #4642 on: August 26, 2017, 01:29:20 AM
cool use. what I'm wondering is how sensible it is to put a zip tie around a first aid kit. I understand the antitheft part
Hmm...maybe it's good business sense. You cut yourself opening the kit, use the supplies, then have to go out and buy another kit. Then the cycle starts again. LOL!

hr Offline styx

Reply #4643 on: August 26, 2017, 09:24:56 AM
Hmm...maybe it's good business sense. You cut yourself opening the kit, use the supplies, then have to go out and buy another kit. Then the cycle starts again. LOL!

oddly makes sense

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #4644 on: August 26, 2017, 05:57:29 PM

I love the Wenger PTC a lot, but my MC can do this by the tip of nailfile.

That's a plus but can it get 2d screws like eye glass screws?

Today the PTC earned its keep again. This is probably the most common task for the combo tool. Changing batteries in a kid's toy. This is one of the reasons I prefer the 2d SD opposed  to the Phillips. It makes a great pry bar for stubborn battery doors.
20170826_083550.jpg
* 20170826_083550.jpg (Filesize: 130.01 KB)
20170826_083611.jpg
* 20170826_083611.jpg (Filesize: 143.83 KB)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 08:50:11 PM by gene stoner »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4645 on: August 26, 2017, 06:09:38 PM
 :like:

SAK to the rescue!

id Offline classicrock

• With every mistake we must surely be learning
Reply #4646 on: August 27, 2017, 08:45:49 AM
Snack time

Sent from my A37f using Tapatalk

-Supported by Manager/Small Tinker/Compact/Deluxe Tinker/Spirit XC-

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #4647 on: August 28, 2017, 11:12:29 PM
Snack time (Image removed from quote.)

Sent from my A37f using Tapatalk
What the hell is that? Are you eating a hoof?!

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #4648 on: August 28, 2017, 11:23:42 PM
By now you've heard of Hurricane Harvey pounding the hell out of the Houston, Texas area. Today, my father-in-law and I took a raft and a kayak out to try to evac some geriatric patients from a flooded nursing home. By the time we were able to get to it, FEMA and the National Guard has swarmed the area with resources and the didn't need help from us and our little boats. As we were drifting down the middle of a downtown street headed back to my jeep to load up and clear out, we saw a middle-aged woman standing in the water wearing pajama bottoms, a t-shirt, and a black garbage bag for a rain poncho. She flagged us down and asked if we could open her car trunk and fish out her plastic bag of clothes (presumably to take to the shelter with her). Her car was flooded up to the door handles in the middle of the road. She gave me her key but there was no key hole in the trunk and her electric switch was under water (shorted) and the battery had died. It took some searching but I found the manual release pull behind the rear head rest.
I used the flat screwdriver (bottle opener) on my Craftsman to pop off the cover. The opening was too small for an adult finger to grab the cable. I used the hook to pull the cable and pop the trunk.

I had a deeply satisfying feeling of thinking, "THAT is what that tool--even what a SAK as a whole--was made for!"

P.S. I was also carrying a Leatherman Supertool 200. It never saw the light of day.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 12:00:16 AM by Tired_Yeti »

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #4649 on: August 28, 2017, 11:48:37 PM
By now you've heard of Hurricane Harvey pounding the hell out of the Houston, Texas area. Today, my father-in-law and I took a raft and a kayak out to try to evac some geriatric patients from a flooded nursing home. By the time we were able to get to it, FEMA and the National Guard has swarmed the area with resources and the didn't need help from us and our little boats. As we were drifting down the middle of a downtown street headed back to my jeep to load up and clear out, we saw a middle-aged woman standing in the water wearing pajama bottoms, a t-shirt, and a black garbage bag for a rain poncho. She flagged us down and asked if we could open her car trunk and fish out her plastic bag of clothes (presumably to take to the shelter with her). Her car was flooded up to the door handles in the middle of the road. She gave me her key but there was no key hole in the trunk and her electric switch was under water (shorted) and the battery had died. It took some searching but I found the manual release pull behind the rear head rest.
I used the flat screwdriver (bottle opener) on my Craftsman to pop off the cover. The opening was too small for an adult finger to grab the cable. I used the hook to pull the cable and pop the trunk.

I had a deeply satisfying feeling of think, "THAT is what that tool--even what a SAK as a whole--was made for!"

P.S. I was also carrying a Leatherman Supertool 200. It never saw the light of day.
(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

Hell of a great story mate  :like:
It doesn't get any more "MacGyvery" than that...  :D  :cheers:
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%