Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What did you use your Sak on today?

colt 1911 · 10809 · 577954

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: What did you use your Sak on today?
Reply #4740 on: September 12, 2017, 09:12:25 PM
I have a original Vagabond (non-Alox) and use the Orange-peeler for oranges all the time, prefer a sharp blade for clam shell packages pushing blade away from my critical parts.

It works great for other things too just can't recall at the moment, (senior thing)

old picture. But EDC!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #4741 on: September 12, 2017, 11:56:10 PM
I have a original Vagabond (non-Alox) and use the Orange-peeler for oranges all the time, prefer a sharp blade for clam shell packages pushing blade away from my critical parts.

It works great for other things too just can't recall at the moment, (senior thing)

(Image removed from quote.)old picture. But EDC!

It's like a MiniChamp that makes more sense!
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #4742 on: September 13, 2017, 01:10:06 AM
Used my Rogue to open a soya milk drink

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #4743 on: September 13, 2017, 01:14:30 AM
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline KandiKlover

• Classic SD - SwissChamp
Reply #4744 on: September 13, 2017, 11:24:06 PM
Tested the burn capability of Magnifying glass. Took only a couple seconds holding it still. I might just go pay the fire ants a visit again.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #4745 on: September 14, 2017, 12:47:43 AM
Tested the burn capability of Magnifying glass. Took only a couple seconds holding it still. I might just go pay the fire ants a visit again.

(Image removed from quote.)

Works pretty good, doesn't it? I'd like to see a side by side comparison of the old versus the new.

us Offline KandiKlover

Reply #4746 on: September 14, 2017, 01:19:00 AM

Works pretty good, doesn't it? I'd like to see a side by side comparison of the old versus the new.

Quite well indeed, as soon as I put the focal point on something it starts smoking  :D The spot is so bright it dims my vision after looking at it lmao :ahhh Are you referring to the old gray 8x? or the plastic 5x one that was on the SwissChamp for a shortwhile? The XAVT has both old grey and new clear, the one w/glass 6x I believe. I once heard someone mention you could use both at once on the XAVT for extra magnification but no clue if that's true.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #4747 on: September 14, 2017, 01:28:27 AM

Quite well indeed, as soon as I put the focal point on something it starts smoking  :D The spot is so bright it dims my vision after looking at it lmao :ahhh Are you referring to the old gray 8x? or the plastic 5x one that was on the SwissChamp for a shortwhile? The XAVT has both old grey and new clear, the one w/glass 6x I believe. I once heard someone mention you could use both at once on the XAVT for extra magnification but no clue if that's true.

Super Magnification!!!  I wonder if the larger field of view on the newer (post-gray) helps harness more energy... I've only tried it with the gray and as I recall, it was just a few seconds.  For some reason I just favor the look of the old gray housing.  :cheers:

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #4748 on: September 14, 2017, 01:38:02 AM

Super Magnification!!!  I wonder if the larger field of view on the newer (post-gray) helps harness more energy... I've only tried it with the gray and as I recall, it was just a few seconds.  For some reason I just favor the look of the old gray housing.  :cheers:

hey, this is interesting!  I never thought that the magnifying glass on a SAK can actually start a fire (due to the size).  I have an old gray plastic magnifier on a Swiss Champ and a newer one in an Explorer -- gotta try this!  Kids are gonna love this experiment  :D

us Offline KandiKlover

Reply #4749 on: September 14, 2017, 02:17:22 AM

hey, this is interesting!  I never thought that the magnifying glass on a SAK can actually start a fire (due to the size).  I have an old gray plastic magnifier on a Swiss Champ and a newer one in an Explorer -- gotta try this!  Kids are gonna love this experiment  :D

Yeah it can burn things black, from what I saw on youtube you need something with a lower ignition point to get an ember than fire. I'll have to try on a cigarette later for fun, that one seemed to work good. I do agree with the grey magnifier looking nice though I like the clear too, I'm glad they made it glass again. I remember I was looking at getting one SwissChamp back in 2012 when they were plastic.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #4750 on: September 14, 2017, 07:21:54 AM

let us know how it turns out.  Definitely needs to be sunny. :)   :cheers:

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #4751 on: September 14, 2017, 07:23:09 AM

Yeah it can burn things black, from what I saw on youtube you need something with a lower ignition point to get an ember than fire. I'll have to try on a cigarette later for fun, that one seemed to work good. I do agree with the grey magnifier looking nice though I like the clear too, I'm glad they made it glass again. I remember I was looking at getting one SwissChamp back in 2012 when they were plastic.

I agree about the glass>plastic.  I've used dried leaves and got an ember going.  :cheers:

us Offline KandiKlover

Reply #4752 on: September 14, 2017, 07:55:35 AM

I agree about the glass>plastic.  I've used dried leaves and got an ember going.  :cheers:

Oh good to know I'll gather up more drier ones and give it a try. :drink:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4753 on: September 14, 2017, 02:59:37 PM

Good test of the magnifier! Sounds like the fire ants are in trouble. :like:

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #4754 on: September 14, 2017, 04:20:54 PM
It's specifically the reason I asked Kandi to try it and the reason I want to get a SAK with the mag glass. I'm thinking about camping or emergency if/when I forget or don't have other means to start a fire. I had assumed it was nearly too small to use for much else, but I may be wrong. If the lens is good enough to give a nice tight beam of light, I'm pretty excited about that!
Sound like Kandi's experiment shows that It is.

And she's going to give the fire ants a taste of their own medicine which made me laugh! Coffee through the nose! Always a great way to wake in the morning.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #4755 on: September 14, 2017, 05:13:29 PM
It's specifically the reason I asked Kandi to try it and the reason I want to get a SAK with the mag glass. I'm thinking about camping or emergency if/when I forget or don't have other means to start a fire. I had assumed it was nearly too small to use for much else, but I may be wrong. If the lens is good enough to give a nice tight beam of light, I'm pretty excited about that!
Sound like Kandi's experiment shows that It is.

And she's going to give the fire ants a taste of their own medicine which made me laugh! Coffee through the nose! Always a great way to wake in the morning.

I would suggest that it's not a firestarting method to be relied upon, merely something to do for fun. You would need full sun, perfect tinder, no cooling breeze, blah blah blah and realistically how often does all that happen? Yes, the mag glass can start fires in ideal conditions, but not reliably.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #4756 on: September 14, 2017, 05:25:44 PM
I disagree, whenever I carry the Explorer or Pikachu my pocket often bursts into flames...  even on rainy days...

Just kidding, it doesn't rain here, it's awlways sunny in Phoenix  :D

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #4757 on: September 14, 2017, 05:44:06 PM
I would suggest that it's not a firestarting method to be relied upon, merely something to do for fun. You would need full sun, perfect tinder, no cooling breeze, blah blah blah and realistically how often does all that happen?...
How often does full sun happen in Texas? LOL!

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #4758 on: September 14, 2017, 06:00:28 PM
I would suggest that it's not a firestarting method to be relied upon, merely something to do for fun. You would need full sun, perfect tinder, no cooling breeze, blah blah blah and realistically how often does all that happen?...

Are you from Texas, TY?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4759 on: September 14, 2017, 06:14:34 PM
We also get quite a bit of full sun here in SoCal.  If you plan on carrying the mag glass for emergency fire maybe add a capsule with tinder?  Something like tinder quick would be great.   :tu:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #4760 on: September 14, 2017, 06:20:47 PM
We also get quite a bit of full sun here in SoCal.  If you plan on carrying the mag glass for emergency fire maybe add a capsule with tinder?  Something like tinder quick would be great.   :tu:

I could understand how our UK members could not relate to an abundance of sun  :rofl:
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 06:49:57 PM by El Corkscrew »

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #4761 on: September 14, 2017, 06:21:44 PM
Breaking down breakfast
WP_20170914_07_53_39_Pro (2).jpg
* WP_20170914_07_53_39_Pro (2).jpg (Filesize: 230.4 KB)

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #4762 on: September 14, 2017, 06:24:14 PM
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #4763 on: September 14, 2017, 10:31:10 PM

I could understand how our UK members could not relate to an abundance of sun  :rofl:

You got me  :surrender:

:D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #4765 on: September 15, 2017, 12:04:26 AM
I repacked some 3D printed 91mm SAK scales and shipped them out to group buy mates. SAK scissors really came in handy. I initially used my Golfer but scissors are loose and need sharpening. So I took out my Super Tinker instead.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 01:03:47 AM by an0nemus »

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #4766 on: September 15, 2017, 12:48:21 AM
http://rockymountainbushcraft.blogspot.com/2015/03/mountain-bushcraft-can-swiss-champs.html

I've done it using punk wood like this.
Thanks! I've heard that it's been debated, but I had a hard time believing that it would not work.

us Offline KandiKlover

Reply #4767 on: September 15, 2017, 01:29:13 AM
http://rockymountainbushcraft.blogspot.com/2015/03/mountain-bushcraft-can-swiss-champs.html

I've done it using punk wood like this.
Thanks! I've heard that it's been debated, but I had a hard time believing that it would not work.

Nice there's plenty of that around my area. This has been fun getting to experiment with everyone  :cheers: :)

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #4768 on: September 16, 2017, 01:01:51 PM
Refrigerator door handle came off this morning. Had to put it on quickly and rush to work. The driver on the tip of the can opener worked fine for the torx bit which was smaller than #30 but bigger than #20.

at Offline Peter1960

Reply #4769 on: September 16, 2017, 04:41:21 PM
It was yesterday and not today, but you see my goodwill -

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41