Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What did you use your Sak on today?

colt 1911 · 10795 · 568358

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #4890 on: October 03, 2017, 03:35:51 AM
Used my new Swiss Champ to prepare the tie downs for my Gemmy inflatable Halloween decorations.
Used the pliers to squeeze the the little locks.

Used the small blade (and some non-Victorinox brand matches, LOL!) to make a tie down.

Finished product!

P.S. I've only had the Swiss Champ for a couple of days so it's too early to tell yet, but so far I haven't done anything with it that my Craftsman couldn't have handled.
"The more you know, the less you carry. The less you know, the more you carry." - Mors Kochanski
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 05:28:10 AM by Tired_Yeti »

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Re: What did you use your Sak on today?
Reply #4891 on: October 03, 2017, 06:16:09 AM
Assembled a new fan with my Super Tinker, with the help of my SwissChamp

us Offline KandiKlover

• Classic SD - SwissChamp
Reply #4892 on: October 03, 2017, 08:02:44 AM
I been needing a paintball marker. So I got the 2012 Victor I've had my eye on for so long.

Opened the annoying blister pack

And tightened up the screws and feedneck and turned the velocity all the way up.

Later on I'll get some nylon riot balls and hard rubber rounds  >:D

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4893 on: October 03, 2017, 05:42:32 PM
I been needing a paintball marker. So I got the 2012 Victor I've had my eye on for so long.

(Image removed from quote.)

And tightened up the screws and feedneck and turned the velocity all the way up.

Sounds like you know how to have fun, KandiKlover!  :D :tu: :cheers:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #4894 on: October 03, 2017, 05:48:49 PM
Changing strings.

The tweezers are PERFECT for grabbing the end of the string and getting them out of that awkward little space on the saddle.

Then used the hook to stretch out the strings.  :salute:  So basically a SAK with tweezers and the hook is a big help for guitar players...  the inline phillips is perfect for most guitar screws ..  so maybe a Yeoman/Explorer is my perfect guitar SAK...
WP_20171002_18_01_00_Pro (2).jpg
* WP_20171002_18_01_00_Pro (2).jpg (Filesize: 185.7 KB)
WP_20171002_18_00_47_Pro (2).jpg
* WP_20171002_18_00_47_Pro (2).jpg (Filesize: 184.45 KB)
WP_20171002_18_15_43_Pro (2).jpg
* WP_20171002_18_15_43_Pro (2).jpg (Filesize: 195.72 KB)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 07:35:25 PM by El Corkscrew »
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #4895 on: October 03, 2017, 07:09:27 PM
Used the hook to make an improv coat hanger in a bathroom.

:tu: :tu:

Show content
No, no pics!

:sa: :sa:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline KandiKlover

Reply #4896 on: October 04, 2017, 03:19:24 AM

Sounds like you know how to have fun, KandiKlover!  :D :tu: :cheers:

Oh yeah  :D the whole back yard is orange now hehe

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #4897 on: October 04, 2017, 12:00:34 PM
Forgot to post last nigh, but last night I used the inline Phillips on the Swiss Champ to open/close the battery covers of some of my daughter's toys. Actually, since the SC is new to me, I started with the driver tip on the can opener because I forgot about the inline. Needless to say, once I switched to using the actual Phillips tip, the job went much faster.
(Forgot to snap a pic this time)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #4898 on: October 04, 2017, 12:43:07 PM
Forgot to post last nigh, but last night I used the inline Phillips on the Swiss Champ to open/close the battery covers of some of my daughter's toys. Actually, since the SC is new to me, I started with the driver tip on the can opener because I forgot about the inline. Needless to say, once I switched to using the actual Phillips tip, the job went much faster.
(Forgot to snap a pic this time)

Yup. It never ceases to amaze me how small a Phillips screw can be before the SC's Phillips bit can't grip it anymore...
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #4899 on: October 04, 2017, 06:39:10 PM
Used my new Swiss Champ to prepare the tie downs for my Gemmy inflatable Halloween decorations.

Used the small blade (and some non-Victorinox brand matches, LOL!) to make a tie down.

Finished product!
(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

P.S. I've only had the Swiss Champ for a couple of days so it's too early to tell yet, but so far I haven't done anything with it that my Craftsman couldn't have handled.
"The more you know, the less you carry. The less you know, the more you carry." - Mors Kochanski

:like:

Great illustration with photos!

Regarding your "P.S." about nothing your Craftsman can't handle...Dedicated tools, especially if they are heavy duty, will always be more robust and tackle tougher jobs. Since most of us don't carry around our tool chests, we can rely on multi-tools when we are away from our dedicated tools or even if it is more convenient not to run for a dedicated tool. The large titanium scissors that we keep in a kitchen drawer can open envelop packages with ease but so can my Explorer and it is more satisfying to use the Explorer. :)

Thanks again for sharing!

Jim

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #4900 on: October 04, 2017, 08:27:20 PM

Finished product!

Regarding your "P.S." about nothing your Craftsman can't handle...Dedicated tools, especially if they are heavy duty, will always be more robust and tackle tougher jobs. Since most of us don't carry around our tool chests, we can rely on multi-tools when we are away from our dedicated tools or even if it is more convenient not to run for a dedicated tool. The large titanium scissors that we keep in a kitchen drawer can open envelop packages with ease but so can my Explorer and it is more satisfying to use the Explorer. :)

Jim
Agreed. I replaced my Craftsman with the Swiss Champ. I used to EDC the Craftsman and have done a lot of work with it. I think until I use the fish scaler, magnifier, or pen I won't really be past the capabilities of the Craftsman SAK. That said, I really like the SC and haven't notice a difference in pocket carry feel between the Swiss Champ and the Craftsman.

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #4901 on: October 05, 2017, 06:58:41 PM

Finished product!

Jim
Agreed. I replaced my Craftsman with the Swiss Champ. I used to EDC the Craftsman and have done a lot of work with it. I think until I use the fish scaler, magnifier, or pen I won't really be past the capabilities of the Craftsman SAK. That said, I really like the SC and haven't notice a difference in pocket carry feel between the Swiss Champ and the Craftsman.

If my post didn't make complete sense, there is a good reason--I was keyed to Sears Craftsman tools (as in dedicated tools), forgetting Victorinox Craftsman SAK.

:facepalm:

Jim

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #4902 on: October 05, 2017, 09:20:24 PM

Finished product!

Jim

If my post didn't make complete sense, there is a good reason--I was keyed to Sears Craftsman tools (as in dedicated tools), forgetting Victorinox Craftsman SAK.

:facepalm:

Jim
Yeah, I figured you had suffered a brief memory lapse. LOL!

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #4903 on: October 05, 2017, 09:25:37 PM
Whoever thought you'd use a SAK for grocery shopping?
Went out to a few stores to grab some things. Used the pen to check off items on my list, and uses the inline Phillips to tighten the battery door of the batt. powered fan I have attached to my daughter's car seat.
No pics. I didn't have any free hands for camera work.

BTW, it was my first use of the pen and I noticed it was hard to get it started. Took some scribbling to get the ink to flow. Is this normal for the Victorinox pens?

"The more you know, the less you carry. The less you know, the more you carry. - Mors Kochanski
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 09:30:29 PM by Tired_Yeti »

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #4904 on: October 05, 2017, 10:48:15 PM
Went out to a few stores to grab some things. Used the pen to check off items on my list, and uses the inline Phillips to tighten the battery door of the batt. powered fan I have attached to my daughter's car seat.

BTW, it was my first use of the pen and I noticed it was hard to get it started. Took some scribbling to get the ink to flow. Is this normal for the Victorinox pens?

"The more you know, the less you carry. The less you know, the more you carry. - Mors Kochanski

I have read that the Victorinox pens are actually Fisher Space Pens. If that is true, they should behave like Space Pens in that they can write upside down or on a vertical surface.  Space Pens have a certain amount of PSI pressure and do have to get started. I am not sure if that is initially or off and on. I've only had to scribble a bit with my "Bullet" Space Pen a couple of times and have been very happy with its performance. One of the benefits of the PSI pressure is that it is not supposed to leak.

Jim

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4905 on: October 05, 2017, 10:53:05 PM

I have read that the Victorinox pens are actually Fisher Space Pens. If that is true, they should behave like Space Pens in that they can write upside down or on a vertical surface.  Space Pens have a certain amount of PSI pressure and do have to get started. I am not sure if that is initially or off and on. I've only had to scribble a bit with my "Bullet" Space Pen a couple of times and have been very happy with its performance. One of the benefits of the PSI pressure is that it is not supposed to leak.

Jim
Vic pens are indeed presurized! :tu:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4906 on: October 05, 2017, 10:56:50 PM
Oh and I do think the "getting started" is off and on.
All SAKs I bought second hand that had the pen so far didn't write the first few strokes.
They came from airport seizures so they might not have writen for quite some time before I got them.

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #4907 on: October 05, 2017, 11:09:30 PM
Oh and I do think the "getting started" is off and on.
All SAKs I bought second hand that had the pen so far didn't write the first few strokes.
They came from airport seizures so they might not have writen for quite some time before I got them.

It seems what I read about Vic's pens being Fisher Space Pens is true. Space Pens have been around for quite some time and are amazing. The do need to get the flow started and then perform very well. My very compact "Bullet" pen in one of Fisher's Space Pen is completely amazing, especially the small form factor that feels like a normal pen when placing the cap on the rear portion of the pen.

Jim

us Offline KandiKlover

Reply #4908 on: October 06, 2017, 12:52:40 AM

Yeah that's how my SwissChamp pen is sometimes as well, same goes for my Rite-In-The-Rain and space pen both made by fisher. The Victorinox pen isn't made by Fisher but the design is the same.

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #4909 on: October 06, 2017, 02:39:28 AM
So the Vic pen is a pressurized space pen, as in, you can write with the pen tip pointing up?

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #4910 on: October 06, 2017, 02:54:59 AM
Convinced the band to use some SAKs as props for a photo shoot.  >:D :D
swiss army tripp.jpg
* swiss army tripp.jpg (Filesize: 189.36 KB)

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #4911 on: October 06, 2017, 04:58:07 AM
Used the mag glass of my SwissCard Lite to take macro shots and update my tang stamp pic collage...

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #4912 on: October 06, 2017, 07:47:27 AM
So the Vic pen is a pressurized space pen, as in, you can write with the pen tip pointing up?

Correct.

us Offline KandiKlover

Reply #4913 on: October 07, 2017, 08:48:07 AM

yes and over oil :3

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #4914 on: October 07, 2017, 09:51:08 PM
Used the SC's flat screwdriver to tighten my Lansky bracket to sharpen my Huntsman today.

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #4915 on: October 08, 2017, 03:26:18 AM
Used the SC's flat screwdriver to tighten my Lansky bracket to sharpen my Huntsman today.

Yup, that’s what I meanly use the caplifterfor these days... The Lansky is great... :cheers:

us Offline KandiKlover

Reply #4916 on: October 10, 2017, 12:37:06 AM
I used the SwissChamp Magnifier just now to try firestarting again. I was curious about using it on a cigarette and finally got around to getting a fresh pack of red 100s over the weekend. It caught easily in a couple seconds even though it was cool out and the sun was low.

I set a nail on top of it to hold it still in the breeze and focused the magnifier over the center and it took and held without any need to blow or inhale on the cigarette. I could've taken it from there but i took a few extra seconds slowly passing the focal point over the rest of the end because I wanted to smoke it. Than just picked it up and took a deep drag off it and it went just fine as if I had used my zippo. So good easy ember for the tinder in the wild or just a nice lifehack if you don't have a lighter or forget it. :climber:

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #4917 on: October 10, 2017, 11:04:29 PM
I used the SwissChamp Magnifier just now to try firestarting again. I was curious about using it on a cigarette and finally got around to getting a fresh pack of red 100s over the weekend. It caught easily in a couple seconds even though it was cool out and the sun was low.

I set a nail on top of it to hold it still in the breeze and focused the magnifier over the center and it took and held without any need to blow or inhale on the cigarette. I could've taken it from there but i took a few extra seconds slowly passing the focal point over the rest of the end because I wanted to smoke it. Than just picked it up and took a deep drag off it and it went just fine as if I had used my zippo. So good easy ember for the tinder in the wild or just a nice lifehack if you don't have a lighter or forget it. :climber:

Man, I have to try this.

us Offline KandiKlover

Reply #4918 on: October 11, 2017, 12:52:16 AM

Man, I have to try this.

It was pretty fun, wonder if the smoke is bad for the glass tho hehe

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #4919 on: October 11, 2017, 03:20:11 AM
...wonder if the smoke is bad for the glass tho hehe
Smoke won't hurt the glass, but it does a hell of a number on lung tissue.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD