Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What did you use your Sak on today?

colt 1911 · 10795 · 568406

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Re: What did you use your Sak on today?
Reply #5310 on: April 22, 2018, 03:29:31 PM
Needed to find the other eSATA port behind the desktop PC . . .

(Image removed from quote.)

The large blade is a magnificent mirror.
SAK utility is limited only by one's imagination.

John

:like:

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #5311 on: April 22, 2018, 03:35:15 PM
Using the screwdrivers to rig the boat, I'm rethinking the backside Phillips, and I've put a Huntsman on hold

20180422_101700_HDR-1.jpg
* 20180422_101700_HDR-1.jpg (Filesize: 147.07 KB)
20180422_101147-1.jpg
* 20180422_101147-1.jpg (Filesize: 153.45 KB)
20180422_101335-1.jpg
* 20180422_101335-1.jpg (Filesize: 115.16 KB)

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5312 on: April 22, 2018, 03:37:49 PM
Needed to find the other eSATA port behind the desktop PC . . .

The large blade is a magnificent mirror.
SAK utility is limited only by one's imagination.

John

Good thinking  :like:

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5313 on: April 22, 2018, 03:41:21 PM
Using the screwdrivers to rig the boat, I'm rethinking the backside Phillips, and I've put a Huntsman on hold

Way to go Greg  :tu:
I do think the in-line Phillips is a bit slippery (less grippy) compared to the backside Phillips.

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #5314 on: April 22, 2018, 04:51:04 PM

Way to go Greg  :tu:
I do think the in-line Phillips is a bit slippery (less grippy) compared to the backside Phillips.

:cheers:

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #5315 on: April 22, 2018, 04:58:19 PM
Part 2
Used the saw to shorten the abs trailer guides, I started with the Fieldmaster then remembered the longer stroke of the Outrider, these saws are beasts, there should be a merit badge :whistle:

20180422_111501-1-1.jpg
* 20180422_111501-1-1.jpg (Filesize: 128.64 KB)

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #5316 on: April 22, 2018, 06:16:47 PM
Part 2
Used the saw to shorten the abs trailer guides, I started with the Fieldmaster then remembered the longer stroke of the Outrider, these saws are beasts, there should be a merit badge :whistle:

The 111mm and 130mm RangerGrip saws are, indeed, beasts!
 :tu:

John

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #5317 on: April 22, 2018, 07:17:16 PM
Sunday morning breakfast.
20180422_100138.jpg
* 20180422_100138.jpg (Filesize: 185.64 KB)
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

us Offline SpaceFrog

Reply #5318 on: April 23, 2018, 06:43:32 PM
Got a lot of yard work done today with my new Explorer. First cut down some vines that had worked their way into a window A/C, disassembled a broken metal tent frame, then burnt off the hair on the back of my hand with the magnifying glass just to see if I could. Now enjoying a little break in the sunshine.
20180423_122014-1.jpg
* 20180423_122014-1.jpg (Filesize: 106.63 KB)

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #5319 on: April 23, 2018, 06:57:19 PM
Touching up the Soldier on a leather strop. This makes the serrations light saber sharp.
20180423_094523.jpg
* 20180423_094523.jpg (Filesize: 199.63 KB)
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5320 on: April 23, 2018, 10:48:04 PM
 :like:
I've actually gotten rid of all the mirrors in my house and only use Swiss Army knives as mirrors now :-)
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

pt Offline Ricardomfs

Reply #5321 on: April 24, 2018, 01:37:31 AM
To repair my father's phone, and damn it, I had repaired hundreds of phones as an hobby and never broke one, when glueing the screen a tiny crack crossed the all digitiser...
And after 3 different digitiser, only the third was the right, damn you Xiaomi, so many variants on the same model....

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #5322 on: April 24, 2018, 02:18:39 AM
To repair my father's phone, and damn it, I had repaired hundreds of phones as an hobby and never broke one, when glueing the screen a tiny crack crossed the all digitiser...
And after 3 different digitiser, only the third was the right, damn you Xiaomi, so many variants on the same model....(Image removed from quote.)

:salute:
I've worked on PDAs, cell phones and iPods including screen replacements. Something done of necessity to avoid replacement cost, and not from desire. Cringed every time I pushed the power button after it was back together praying the smoke would not leak out. Been lucky but it feels like playing craps every time. Got to admire someone willing to tackle repairing a modern smartphone.

Glad you got it working again.

John

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #5323 on: April 24, 2018, 01:29:46 PM
Touching up the Soldier on a leather strop. This makes the serrations light saber sharp.

I have that field sharpener.  :cheers: Nice piece!  :multi:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #5324 on: April 24, 2018, 08:44:50 PM
An apple a day
IMG_20180424_114045.jpg
* IMG_20180424_114045.jpg (Filesize: 172.5 KB)
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #5325 on: April 25, 2018, 04:28:49 AM
An apple a day
Repeat to yourself:
"Pull knife out before eating. Pull knife out before eating. Pull knife out before eating . . . "

:tu:
A SAK is one of the best tools for carving up an apple.

John

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #5326 on: April 25, 2018, 11:01:13 AM
A bit long, but the SwissTool came in handy even though it wasn't the only tool used. With Spring upon us in the Northern Hemisphere, grass is growing and requires mowing. Mowers are being dragged out of winter hibernation, often stored in outdoor sheds. In colder climes they've had weeks of sub-freezing storage and may not be very limber yet. Mine was one such mower.

This is a ten year old self-propelled walk-behind 6-1/2 hp mower. Not trivial in horsepower but with its compression ratio and displacement, it's a PITA to start with a pull cord if it doesn't start on the first couple of pulls. I've come to appreciate the very modest gel-cell battery it has with an electric starter, especially when first starting it after winter storage. This year was like last year. Turn the "key" and the starter motor spins with wondrous whirring sounds, but it's not turning the engine over. Some would pack it up for the mower repair shop, or off to the junk man to be replaced, but if one understands how a Bendix Gear starter works, it's the classic symptom of the starter gear frozen, or stuck, on the Bendix Gear. It's not the starter motor, it's the "Bendix" and I've visited the most likely failure mode this one is suffering from before. If that's what it is, the fix is very simple.

Bendix was a mechanical genius, having invented the device that made electric engine starters practical, to eliminate having to hand crank gasoline powered reciprocating engines. It's such a simple device, relying on inertia to operate, but how many would have ever imagined something so elegantly simple. As I understand it, the device made him a small fortune. For those not familiar with a Bendix Gear (or helix) and how it's used in electric starter motors this YouTube video gives a decent explanation . . .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yEUGxq-cyU

I know I'm going to need a 1/4" socket set as some of the fasteners are hex bolts larger than a SAK or SwissTool can handle. This was my father's Thorsen drive set . . . in a Giller box at about the time Thorsen bought Giller. I've added metric sockets since then, but it's a magnificent set. I've got my own Thorsen II set, and a several other 1/4" drive sets scattered around the house and in the car trunk. Get a good "spinner" or drive handle and they become magnificent nut driver sets. There isn't much in terms of hex head nuts and bolts around the interior of a house that cannot be handled by a good 1/4" drive set. Those familiar with industrial tools will recognize the "Williams" name on the 1/4" driver handle.

This is the culprit with the recalcitrant Bendix. It's at least ten years old but keeps on running just fine. Not pretty to look at any more as I gave up cosmetic cleaning long ago. After mowing the yard two or three times, this is what it looks like, so why bother. Keeping some things clean of debris like the drive belt and its sheaves, and the air filter, is important along with maintaining the spark plug and occasionally changing engine oil. Keeping top of deck and shrouds clean doesn't do anything. Battery charger has been hooked up to top off the battery even though it held a decent charge over the winter. If it's hard starting though there's no telling how much reserve the battery has. Should be topped off to full charge anyway.

Was prepared with the socket set on hand at the mower, but had forgotten about the #2 Phillips on the air cleaner shroud and the hand starter shroud. Could have gone back to get a #2 Phillips driver, but the SwissTool was already at hand and I used it to take out the screw holding the air cleaner shroud onto the mower engine . . .

and the two screws holding the pull starter shroud onto the mower engine . . .

Next come the four hex head bolts that hold the fuel tank onto the engine as the starter motor is under it. The hose connecting the tank to the engine carburetor's fuel bowl need not be disconnected as all that needs to be done is move it out of the way and the hose need only be bent some to accomplish that. The bolt heads are too big for the SwissTool socket set which only deals with smaller size Torx and Allen screws. Mowers are noted for their vibration. Consequently the previous screws were not left loose; they were tightened within reason. These bolts in particular were torqued down using the 1/4" drive ratchet. One of the handy things about having a 1/4" drive hand driver in a 1/4" drive socket set is being able to use it as a nut (or bolt) driver. One of my criteria for these drivers is having a 1/4" drive socket on the end of the handle and the best of these have that integral with the 1/4" drive protruding from the other end. Allows using a 1/4" drive breaker bar or ratchet driver on the end of the driver handle instead of trying to use a wrench on the driver shaft under the handle. The short breaker bar breaks these bolts loose quickly and the driver can be used to spin them out quickly. It's like having a 6" extension with a nifty handle on it.

There are three smaller obvious ones on top and a fourth larger one one that isn't so obvious below the bottom of the tank. The driver isn't (sufficiently magnetic). Getting the top ones out without dropping them is important. If one falls down into the manual starting mechanism it can require a good amount of further disassembly to retrieve it. Better to prevent that. The jaws on the SwissTool pliers are perfect for reaching in to lift them out.

With the fuel tank swung out of the way, we're down to the guilty b@$#^rd Bendix. The starter gear has an internal helix matching and mating with the Bendix helix on the starter motor shaft. It should be free to float up and down on that helix. When the starter motor shaft with the Bendix helix starts to turn, inertia (bodies at rest would like to remain at rest; they're lazy) keeps the starter gear from rotating and it rises on the Bendix helix as it begins to turn. As it rises, it engages the teeth on the outer edge of the engine flywheel, and begins turning the engine crankshaft. As the engine starts and the flywheel starts turning faster than the starter gear, the same Bendix helix pulls the starter gear back down, disengaging it from the flywheel and preventing damage to the starter motor (and gear with Bendix helix) with the engine forcibly spinning it up to high RPM. This is the elegant mechanical beauty of the Bendix. However, if Crudmium plating has accumulated on the Bendix helix and mating helix on the starter gear, it will be stuck to the Bendix helix and its inertia won't cause it to rise on the helix. It will simply spin with the starter motor shaft in the lower, resting position and will not engage the flywheel teeth.

Last year I used WD-40 to dissolve and flush out the Crudmium coating that had plated itself onto the parts. WD-40 eventually dries out. This year I'm trying something a little different with bicycle chain lube, which is not a grease or heavy oil, it's a fairly light oil, a penetrant, and this particular brand has some Teflon in it. As I do some amount of road cycling, it also just happened to be on the shelf with the other lubricants.

Now to test the starter to see if the Bendix is working as it should again. We do this with the spark plug wire disconnected from the spark plug as we do not want the engine starting with the fuel tank not firmly attached and other stuff lying about that might get sucked into the spinning blades of death under the mower deck.

https://youtu.be/ugJhtxsnfh4

:woohoo: it works now, and the video shows how the Bendix causes the starter gear to rise and engage the engine flywheel.
Now to put it all back together . . . this time using a ratchet on the end of the driver handle to sufficiently (firmly) tighten the bolts down.

With the tank reassembled to the engine and the shrouds reattached using the Phillips on the SwissTool, it's time for the "smoke test", to see if there are any smoke leaks when the engine is started. (Everything runs on pressurized smoke; if it leaks out, it quits running.)

https://youtu.be/PwBEQiKZpqA

:woohoo:

Passed the smoke test. Starter Bendix working properly again, making it much easier to start the mower engine. Had that not worked after a couple tries, I had the secret weapon awaiting on the workbench . . .
The 12" (305 mm) hammer head adjustable Miner's Wrench to beat it into submission. Also has the wider jaw width of a 15" adjustable as compared to a standard 12". Called a "Miner's Wrench" from how it's used in underground hard rock mineral mining by the rock drillers.

And if that's not sufficient motivation, there's always the 24" (610 mm) adjustable wrench . . .
The sight of it alone is nearly always sufficient to motivate mechanical objects to begin functioning properly again.

Notes:
  • The observant will have noted I was wearing blue gloves. These are nitrile "exam" gloves that can be bought by the hundreds for a pittance at the local Sam's Club (a big box warehouse store chain). Started using them over a decade ago when working on things awash in Crudmium. Much better than scrubbing the epidermis off your hands with a stiff brush and dish washing detergent, and trying to get the bits of Crudmium out from around and under fingernails.
  • I highly recommend buying a driver (aka "spinner") with a 1/4" drive socket set that has a 1/4" drive socket in the end of the handle. The socket in the good ones will be one piece with the 1/4" square drive shaft and the handle will be molded around it. Torque on the socket in the end of the handle is then transmitted directly to the socket and not through the handle. Allows using a breaker bar or ratchet on the end of the handle briefly to either loosen or tighten nuts and bolts that require a bit more torque than can be delivered by hand through a driver handle.
John
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 12:35:30 PM by jalind »
John

se Offline RF52

Reply #5327 on: April 25, 2018, 11:36:48 AM
A bit long, but the SwissTool came in handy even though it wasn't the only tool used. With Spring upon us in the Northern Hemisphere, grass is growing and requires mowing. Mowers are being dragged out of winter hibernation, often stored in outdoor sheds. In colder climes they've had weeks of sub-freezing storage and may not be very limber yet. Mine was one such mower.

This is a ten year old self-propelled walk-behind 6-1/2 hp mower. Not trivial in horsepower but with its compression ratio and displacement, it's a PITA to start with a pull cord if it doesn't start on the first couple of pulls. I've come to appreciate the very modest gel-cell battery it has with an electric starter, especially when first starting it after winter storage. This year was like last year. Turn the "key" and the starter motor spins with wondrous whirring sounds, but it's not turning the engine over. Some would pack it up for the mower repair shop, or off to the junk man to be replaced, but if one understands how a Bendix Gear starter works, it's the classic symptom of the starter gear frozen, or stuck, on the Bendix Gear. It's not the starter motor, it's the "Bendix" and I've visited the most likely failure mode this one is suffering from before. If that's what it is, the fix is very simple.

Bendix was a mechanical genius, having invented the device that made electric engine starters practical, to eliminate having to hand crank gasoline powered reciprocating engines. It's such a simple device, relying on inertia to operate, but how many would have ever imagined something so elegantly simple. As I understand it, the device made him a small fortune. For those not familiar with a Bendix Gear (or helix) and how it's used in electric starter motors this YouTube video gives a decent explanation . . .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yEUGxq-cyU

I know I'm going to need a 1/4" socket set as some of the fasteners are hex bolts larger than a SAK or SwissTool can handle. This was my father's Thorsen drive set . . . in a Giller box at about the time Thorsen bought Giller. I've added metric sockets since then, but it's a magnificent set. I've got my own Throsen II set, and a several other 1/4" drive sets scattered around the house and in the car trunk. Get a good "spinner" or drive handle and they become magnificent nut driver sets. There isn't much in terms of hex head nuts and bolts around the interior of a house that cannot be handled by a good 1/4" drive set. Those familiar with industrial tools will recognize the "Williams" name on the 1/4" driver handle.

This is the culprit with the recalcitrant Bendix. It's at least ten years old but keeps on running just fine. Not pretty to look at any more as I gave up cosmetic cleaning long ago. After mowing the yard two or three times, this is what it looks like, so why bother. Keeping some things clean of debris like the drive belt and its sheaves, and the air filter, is important along with maintaining the spark plug and occasionally changing engine oil. Keeping top of deck and shrouds clean doesn't do anything. Battery charger has been hooked up to top off the battery even though it held a decent charge over the winter. If it's hard starting though there's no telling how much reserve the battery has. Should be topped off to full charge anyway.

Was prepared with the socket set on hand at the mower, but had forgotten about the #2 Phillips on the air cleaner shroud and the hand starter shroud. Could have gone back to get a #2 Phillips driver, but the SwissTool was already at hand and I used it to take out the screw holding the air cleaner shroud onto the mower engine . . .

and the two screws holding the pull starter shroud onto the mower engine . . .

Next come the four hex head bolts that hold the fuel tank onto the engine as the starter motor is under it. The hose connecting the tank to the engine carburetor's fuel bowl need not be disconnected as all that needs to be done is move it out of the way and the hose need only be bent some to accomplish that. The bolt heads are too big for the SwissTool socket set which only deals with smaller size Torx and Allen screws. Mowers are noted for their vibration. Consequently the previous screws were not left loose; they were tightened within reason. These bolts in particular were torqued down using the 1/4" drive ratchet. One of the handy things about having a 1/4" drive hand driver in a 1/4" drive socket set is being able to use it as a nut (or bolt) driver. One of my criteria for these drivers is having a 1/4" drive socket on the end of the handle and the best of these have that integral with the 1/4" drive protruding from the other end. Allows using a 1/4" drive breaker bar or ratchet driver on the end of the driver handle instead of trying to use a wrench on the driver shaft under the handle. The short breaker bar breaks these bolts loose quickly and the driver can be used to spin them out quickly. It's like having a 6" extension with a nifty handle on it.

There are three smaller obvious ones on top and a fourth larger one one that isn't so obvious below the bottom of the tank. The driver isn't (sufficiently magnetic). Getting the top ones out without dropping them is important. If one falls down into the manual starting mechanism it can require a good amount of further disassembly to retrieve it. Better to prevent that. The jaws on the SwissTool pliers are perfect for reaching in to lift them out.

With the fuel tank swung out of the way, we're down to the guilty b@$#^rd Bendix. The starter gear has an internal helix matching and mating with the Bendix helix on the starter motor shaft. It should be free to float up and down on that helix. When the starter motor shaft with the Bendix helix starts to turn, inertia (bodies at rest would like to remain at rest; they're lazy) keeps the starter gear from rotating and it rises on the Bendix helix as it begins to turn. As it rises, it engages the teeth on the outer edge of the engine flywheel, and begins turning the engine crankshaft. As the engine starts and the flywheel starts turning faster than the starter gear, the same Bendix helix pulls the starter gear back down, disengaging it from the flywheel and preventing damage to the starter motor (and gear with Bendix helix) with the engine forcibly spinning it up to high RPM. This is the elegant mechanical beauty of the Bendix. However, if Crudmium plating has accumulated on the Bendix helix and mating helix on the starter gear, it will be stuck to the Bendix helix and its inertia won't cause it to rise on the helix. It will simply spin with the starter motor shaft in the lower, resting position and will not engage the flywheel teeth.

Last year I used WD-40 to dissolve and flush out the Crudmium coating that had plated itself onto the parts. WD-40 eventually dries out. This year I'm trying something a little different with bicycle chain lube, which is not a grease or heavy oil, it's a fairly light oil, a penetrant, and this particular brand has some Teflon in it. As I do some amount of road cycling, it also just happened to be on the shelf with the other lubricants.

Now to test the starter to see if the Bendix is working as it should again. We do this with the spark plug wire disconnected from the spark plug as we do not want the engine starting with the fuel tank not firmly attached and other stuff lying about that might get sucked into the spinning blades of death under the mower deck.

https://youtu.be/ugJhtxsnfh4

:woohoo: it works now, and the video shows how the Bendix causes the starter gear to rise and engage the engine flywheel.
Now to put it all back together . . . this time using a ratchet on the end of the driver handle to sufficiently (firmly) tighten the bolts down.

With the tank reassembled to the engine and the shrouds reattached using the Phillips on the SwissTool, it's time for the "smoke test", to see if there are any smoke leaks when the engine is started. (Everything runs on pressurized smoke; if it leaks out, it quits running.)

https://youtu.be/PwBEQiKZpqA

:woohoo:

Passed the smoke test. Starter Bendix working properly again, making it much easier to start the mower engine. Had that not worked after a couple tries, I had the secret weapon awaiting on the workbench . . .
The 12" (305 mm) hammer head adjustable Miner's Wrench to beat it into submission. Also has the wider jaw width of a 15" adjustable as compared to a standard 12". Called a "Miner's Wrench" from how it's used in underground hard rock mineral mining by the rock drillers.

And if that's not sufficient motivation, there's always the 24" (610 mm) adjustable wrench . . .
The sight of it alone is nearly always sufficient to motivate mechanical objects to begin functioning properly again.

Notes:
  • The observant will have noted I was wearing blue gloves. These are nitrile "exam" gloves that can be bought by the hundreds for a pittance at the local Sam's Club (a big box warehouse store chain). Started using them over a decade ago when working on things awash in Crudmium. Much better than scrubbing the epidermis off your hands with a stiff brush and dish washing detergent, and trying to get the bits of Crudmium out from around and under fingernails.
  • I highly recommend buying a driver (aka "spinner") with a 1/4" drive socket set that has a 1/4" drive socket in the end of the handle. The socket in the good ones will be one piece with the 1/4" square drive shaft and the handle will be molded around it. Torque on the socket in the end of the handle is then transmitted directly to the socket and not through the handle. Allows using a breaker bar or ratchet on the end of the handle briefly to either loosen or tighten nuts and bolts that require a bit more torque than can be delivered by hand through a driver handle.
John
Good job! And great write up

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #5328 on: April 25, 2018, 11:43:22 AM
Very good John, this is what I like about SAK people, hands on instead of joining the throw away society :cheers:

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #5329 on: April 25, 2018, 04:53:16 PM
Good job! And great write up (Image removed from quote.)

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

Thanks . . . thought it might be interesting for those that had never seen a starter motor Bendix gear (helix) and how it works so elegantly.

John

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #5330 on: April 25, 2018, 04:57:52 PM
Very good John, this is what I like about SAK people, hands on instead of joining the throw away society :cheers:

Thanks Greg - this is usually all that's wrong with the starter on Briggs & Stratton mower engines if the starter is spinning but not turning the engine over and the fix is so simple. The Bendix and starter gear can crack or break, but that's an uncommon failure mode. Don't know what they're made out of (Delrin ?) but it's very robust. Even that's a relatively easy fix as one circlip holds the Bendix assembly onto the starter motor shaft.

John

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #5331 on: April 25, 2018, 09:01:13 PM
Late entry for yesterday. Used Cobalt Constructor to reassemble the toilet flush tank cover after restoring seal tightness. No pics, alas, needed both hands.
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

pt Offline Ricardomfs

Reply #5332 on: April 26, 2018, 11:47:32 PM
Today replacing the digitiser on an iPad, another sak helping...

pt Offline Ricardomfs

Reply #5333 on: April 26, 2018, 11:49:11 PM
Photos not uploading... Tapatalk.....

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #5334 on: April 27, 2018, 04:28:25 AM
After fixing the starter Bendix a couple days ago and changing the oil yesterday and checking the blade, just before mowing today I checked the air filter. It's an accordion paper filter with a rectangular frame around it. Not very dirty so banging it on the concrete floor of the garage got most of the dust out of it. Good to go for another year. Most filters like this don't need to be replaced every year. Every two or three years is sufficient as long as it's not got a hole in it and most of the dust and dirt is knocked out of it without damaging the integrity of the filter paper. I'm a cheapskate when it comes to stuff like this and readily admit it. Cover is held in place with captive hex head screw that also has flat tip slot. Not wanting to get a nut driver or the 1/4" drive socket set, I pulled out my SAK and did the MacGyver thing with it.

John
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 04:30:07 AM by jalind »
John

za Offline WaynejG

Reply #5335 on: April 27, 2018, 12:38:58 PM
Fitted a new LED light to the hood of the wife's fish tank. Would you awl believe it but even used the awl to make the new holes.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

za Offline WaynejG

Reply #5336 on: April 27, 2018, 12:57:12 PM
Forester used to make hot dogs for lunch.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5337 on: April 27, 2018, 01:18:15 PM
Great uses and pics John Wayne......errr... John and Wayne  :like:

ph Offline MrWilson

• just another SAK EDC'er
Reply #5338 on: April 27, 2018, 03:58:45 PM
Ni-hao!

Dinner time in my hotel room with my trusty Climber here in Beijing, China. Too late to find a decent restaurant nearby after a 3-hour train ride from Shandong province to Beijing. or just an excuse to save dinner money to buy more SAKs!  :rofl:

PSX_20180427_215335.jpg
* PSX_20180427_215335.jpg (Filesize: 237.45 KB)

pt Offline Ricardomfs

Reply #5339 on: April 27, 2018, 09:42:27 PM
This was the use to my SC :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62